Ain't I a stinker?

Settle down everyone ^_^

Man I got Laserdiscs i got in the 90's I still haven't gotten to watching.....

Anyway's it's not the battle in the Wings of Farewell, At least I think because wasn't the animation redone for some scenes for the second Blu-Ray release?

This is the dogfight I'm referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBtMlCkpbfw

Looks like tv animation to me.

This question is about the VF-11 line. I know the C model has a somewhat unofficial internal missile bay in the legs but where are the missiles usually mounted? The Macross Mecha site mentions it has hardpoints near the wings but I've never seen any art or in game models of the VF-11 with wing mounted missiles, not even the very detailed Macross 30 game. Does anyone have art of the VF-11 with missiles?

I'm fairly certain my site only makes mention of the Super Part/Pack hardpoints on the dorsal structure and the semi-canon internal leg bays. I'm re-reading my entries and unless I'm missing something the trivia all seems in order. I don't beleive I've seen any official art of a VF-11B or VF-11C with wing-mounted ordnance. Not to say it couldn't, but just haven't seen the Thunderbolt as such.

My mistake. I misread the mounting points for the super packs as missile hardpoints. Still that seems rather odd it can't carry any missiles without a pack...

There should be 2 hard points on each wing for externally carried munitions.

You can see Kawamori's rough designs for "Stealth Pods" to be mounted on them on pg 078 of "Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works".

This question is about the VF-11 line. I know the C model has a somewhat unofficial internal missile bay in the legs but where are the missiles usually mounted? The Macross Mecha site mentions it has hardpoints near the wings but I've never seen any art or in game models of the VF-11 with wing mounted missiles, not even the very detailed Macross 30 game. Does anyone have art of the VF-11 with missiles?

Well, there's a fun story in that...

Y'see... the VF-11 might've first appeared in Macross Plus in 1994, but it wasn't actually depicted with ordinance hung from pylons out on the wing in a narrative Macross title until its appearance in Macross the Ride in 2011. The chapter "Peace Children" shows the VF-11C Thunderbolt Interceptor (Macross the Ride Visual Book Vol.2 pages 25, 44-45) with two pylons on each wing... one of which has the stealth micro-missile pod sketchley mentioned and the other has a HMM-111CS high-maneuver missile like those seen in Macross Plus.

I don't believe that particular tidbit of information has been included in the Macross Mecha Manual entry... yet.

(...) one of which has the stealth micro-missile pod sketchley mentioned (...)

Actually, it's a different one. The one in MtR first appears on the cover of TiAS: Macross Plus, whereas the one I mentioned is similar to the real life dorsal pod on the F-18 International Road Map.

Any info on where the YF-30 stores it's assault knife?

That's the funny part on YF-30 Chronos. In-game, it uses knife for melee combat. But it didn't show where it stores. And they left that out in the DX figure. Though you can borrow it from the other DX Valks since it also fits on the hands included.

Thanks. So what's VF then?

It stands for Bariaburu Faita (or Variable Fighter): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_fighter :) For the etymology of the word you need the help of one of the many Macross scholars on this site.

[edit:] I would assume they started from the USAF designation of fighter-jets (like F-16) said that if should sound similar and ended up with VF. For Macross Plus they needed than a designation for the prototypes so they went back to the root of the VF term and ended up with YF (like YF-23) for them.

I'm sure someone will chime in with actual sources where the name originated from so take my crazy theories with a grain of salt. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

It stands for Bariaburu Faita (or Variable Fighter): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_fighter :) For the etymology of the word you need the help of one of the many Macross scholars on this site.

I don't recall them ever actually presenting the term "Variable Fighter" in English in dialog... normally it's 可変戦闘機 (Kahen Sentoki).

[edit:] I would assume they started from the USAF designation of fighter-jets (like F-16) said that if should sound similar and ended up with VF. For Macross Plus they needed than a designation for the prototypes so they went back to the root of the VF term and ended up with YF (like YF-23) for them.

There's a lot of stuff in Macross which is based loosely upon the practices and designation systems of the United States armed forces... and yes, the fighter designation system in Macross is based on the US's 1962 tri-service designation system.

I'm pretty sure you hit the nail on the head. Instead of a Fighter, it's a Variable Fighter, so VF instead of F.

It slightly bugs me that YF in Macross is not YVF. But I'm sure I am overthinking this.

Designations for prototypes and experimental aircraft have been a little weird, YF-# is the most common but we've also occasionally seen YVF-#, and VF-X-# is the most common experimental, but we've also seen XVF-# a few times and one instance of VF-X#.

I don't recall them ever actually presenting the term "Variable Fighter" in English in dialog... normally it's 可変戦闘機 (Kahen Sentoki).

There's a lot of stuff in Macross which is based loosely upon the practices and designation systems of the United States armed forces... and yes, the fighter designation system in Macross is based on the US's 1962 tri-service designation system.

Designations for prototypes and experimental aircraft have been a little weird, YF-# is the most common but we've also occasionally seen YVF-#, and VF-X-# is the most common experimental, but we've also seen XVF-# a few times and one instance of VF-X#.

So is Kahen Sentoki translated directly into Variable Fighter (that is was Google Translate yields as a result) or does it have an alternative meaning.

Also don't forget the XB-70 (X for eXperimental): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie. :)

So is Kahen Sentoki translated directly into Variable Fighter (that is was Google Translate yields as a result) or does it have an alternative meaning.

Also don't forget the XB-70 (X for eXperimental): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie. :)

可変 - http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E5%8F%AF%E5%A4%89

戦闘機 - http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E6%88%A6%E9%97%98%E6%A9%9F

EDIT: weird. both Jefferies and Jim Breen's don't allow direct linking to dictionary entries anymore.

Edited by sketchley

Pretty much, yes. After Macross Plus came out Harminy Gold Trademarked numerous terms/names from Macross and most anime companies don't really have the money to fight HG in court. There's probably more to it but I've only just gotten up and can't think about it right now.

But couldn't an anime company still do an english dub of something like Frontier regardless of Harmony Gold? Or are the more inclined to just keep it in the native language?

No. Doesn't matter if it's in Japanese or dubbed in English. If you want Macross, dubbed or subbed, get Harmony Gold to drop the trademark.

But couldn't an anime company still do an english dub of something like Frontier regardless of Harmony Gold? Or are the more inclined to just keep it in the native language?

To add to what Azrael said - if it's released internationally (meaning outside of Japan), one has to get the trademark from Harmony Gold (not sure about how many TM's they've put in place outside of the US, though).

An English dubbed release inside of Japan is plausible, but the chance of that happening is far beyond the other side of remote (less than the chance of the next Star Wars movie being released in the US in a French or Spanish dub - with the caveat that Macross has no-where near the same market, earning potential, or notoriety).

To add to what Azrael said - if it's released internationally (meaning outside of Japan), one has to get the trademark from Harmony Gold (not sure about how many TM's they've put in place outside of the US, though).

Unfortunately, Tatsunoko's (and thus, Harmony Gold's) reach extends to "international rights," meaning everywhere except Japan.

Unfortunately, Tatsunoko's (and thus, Harmony Gold's) reach extends to "international rights," meaning everywhere except Japan.

Wasn't the original poster talking about releasing Macross in general, and not SDFM in particular?

Yes. The problem is that HG claims that they have the license that they have to SDF Macross gives them the rights to all of Macross (total BS by the way) and they will go to court to protect these rights. Thanks to the fact that HG has more money than most anime licensors, and the trademarks that they filed, most companies either can't, or won't bother to, fight them. Hell, it doesnt actually have to get to court as they could just ask for a continuance whenever they are supposed to come before a judge and let the legal fees kill the other company. It would take a major company (ie Warner Bros., Universal, or Sony) or Big West itself to sue HG (and most companies won't believe it's worth it) or for Tatsunoko to refuse to renew HG's license for us to see any more Macross series officially subbed or dubbed outside of Japan.

Edited by camk4evr

Thanks to the fact that HG has more money than most anime licensors, and the trademarks that they filed,

And that it's cheaper to release an uncontested program than a contested one. Even if they CAN afford to fight HG, it doesn't make good business sense to pick up a license you already know WILL result in an expensive legal fight when you can just as easily get a license that DOESN'T involve an expensive legal fight instead.

You have to believe the profits will offset the legal costs for it to make sense. And importing anime is not, by most counts, a high-profit market these days. Mech anime even less so.

If I were in the anime localization business, I'd stay the heck away from Macross too. Even if the licensor is willing to pay the legal costs(and they likely aren't), it still ties my staff and resources up in a legal quagmire that I don't want to be in.

I'm not happy about it, but... it's simply not a viable franchise, financially speaking.

Edited by JB0

VF-15 Banshee
There is some. I've got some general trivia about it, for the next update. I'll post what I have here:

Super-Dimension-Energy Cannon

• A high-energy beam cannon most commonly built for gunboat class space vessels as an anti-ship weapon. The super-dimension-energy cannon collimates super dimension energy during a brief charging period and then fires a broad energy beam toward the target. These weapons are often large and they are incredibly destructive, delivering damage via both high-energy kinetic force and intense heat. There are few defenses against a super-dimension-energy beam, pin-point/full barriers being one such partially effective counter measure (exception: the Protodeviln Glavil). The maximum yield and range of the super-dimension-energy cannon is currently unknown. The first combat use of the SDF-1 Macross super-dimension-energy cannon fired two beams at an effective range of roughly one light-second (reference: 280,000 kilometers; SDF Macross, Episode 1). First combat firing of the Battle 7 super beam weapon, fired at only 80% of full power, destroyed as many as a half dozen warships in close formation (reference: destroyed one-third of Gigile Fleet of 18 Varauta warships; Macross 7, Episode 16). This weapon is designated a Heavy Converging Energy Beam Cannon in Zentradi and Meltrandi warships. The Macross Chronicle lists super-dimension-energy cannons, heavy quantum reaction guns and other such weapons as all the same type of weapon. The various weapons listed include the Vajra biological beam weapons, the main gun of the Nupetiet Vergnitzs-class Fleet Command Battleship (heavy converging beam cannon), the main gun of the SDF-1 Macross (super dimension energy cannon/heavy converging beam cannon), the main gun of the Battle-class variable stealth carrier (super beam weapon/macross cannon) and the main gun of the Macross Quarter-class (heavy quantum reaction cannon). It is stated separately that the Grand Cannon is the largest class of heavy quantum reaction gun. Since each gun is listed by the original weapon name and each individual spaceship profile in the Macross Chronicle includes the original weapon name, the original weapon descriptions remain distinctly valid (Macross Chronicle 2nd Edition Technology Sheet 13A: Dimension Weapons).

Heavy Quantum

• Extra-dimensional matter generated by fold devices and OverTechnology reactors. It has a property where over 99% of its mass is resident in super dimension space (Fold space). As a result, when its mass is drawn into three-dimensional space it crushes the fabric of space-time, which results in part of its mass being converted and released as a vast amount of thermal energy. Fold quartz can be used to produce a "super" heavy quantum that has even greater mass which is used in dimension eater weapons, whereby its mass transition into three-dimensional space creates a collapse so violent all surrounding matter is pulled into super dimension space.
Heavy Quantum Reaction Cannon/Gun
  • A powerful type of directed energy weapon (DEW) that utilizes heavy quantum as a catalyst. A heavy quantum reaction gun uses a resonance fold pattern to excite heavy quantum in fold space such that it loses its stability and thus its mass collapses into three-dimensional space (real space). The collapse crushes the heavy quantum past the fusion threshold at which point the reaction produces a powerful nuclear fusion plasma beam. A heavy quantum reaction cannon was built as the main gun of the Macross Quarter but such weapons can also be built much smaller, such as the primary gun pod for the VF-27 Lucifer.

Is it fair to say that the bigger the weapon, physically, the higher its destructive potential? The end result is the same, but a bigger weapon would generate a bigger beam, yes?

Is it fair to say that the bigger the weapon, physically, the higher its destructive potential? The end result is the same, but a bigger weapon would generate a bigger beam, yes?

It's hard to measure relative power when the weapon in question's more potent implementations tend to kill anything and everything that gets anywhere near the beam. The chief limiting factor should/would theoretically be the robustness of the power and cooling systems servicing the gun. The more powerful the reactor the more heavy quanta you can collect and the longer you can sustain the resonance fold effect that draws it into realspace, and the downtime between shots is going to drop along with the time it takes to cool the weapon back down between shots.

You could say it's broadly true that a bigger super dimension energy cannon means more destructive potential though... as the increase in size generally means it's connected to similarly-increased power and coolant systems.

(The only case I can think of offhand where this might not be the case is the YF-27-5's BGP-02 beam rifle... it isn't clear how it relates to the BGP-01 beam rifle used by the production model in terms of firepower, but the YF-27-5 has only two engines and an underwing generator pod to drive it instead of four engines.)