1/72 Launch Arm

cool8or

For all of you that though that I'm retired from modelling, let me prove that you were wrong! Since my baby daugther born in July, I don't have any time for nothing, but I try to take advantage of any free moment that I have, even if they are just few minutes. So don't expect too much from me this year neither.

So, here is my lastest work, one of my first GK purchased here in MW, 8 years ago. This is the original Launch Arm developed by Gundamhead & Jesse. VF-1 obviously is a Hasegawa, the box was made with 2 H-Hanger by Wave, and the Frame and other details were scratchbuilt, based in the following lineart:

armd-dyrl-lineart4.gif

Model was painted with Mr. Color paints, Valk is detachable due some magnets in the Arm, and in fact, I prefer to display just the Valk in home, and keep the Launch Arm just for exhibitions, just to avoid bending in the arm, due the weight of the Valk.

Special thanks to WM Cheng and Jefuemon for inspiring my work in this model with their own Launch Arm versions.

Hope do you like it!!

DSC02764.jpgDSC02763.jpgDSC02762.jpg

DSC02765.jpgDSC02766.jpgDSC02768.jpgDSC02771.jpgDSC02773.jpgDSC02774.jpg

DSC02783.jpgDSC02785.jpgDSC02786.jpgDSC02793.jpgDSC02794.jpgDSC02795.jpgDSC02802.jpgDSC02803.jpgDSC02807.jpgDSC02810.jpg

DSC02813.jpgDSC02816.jpgDSC02818.jpg

Edited by cool8or

Special thanks to WM Cheng and Jefuemon for inspiring my work in this model with their own Launch Arm versions.

You're welcome! Do you have the original base hidden down in there, or is everything H Hanger? They are nice, aren’t they?

Nice to see another launch arm build come out!

That's a GREAT upgrade to the original and putting it all into the hanger is even better! Great finish work too! So which way are you going to display it, vertically or horizontally? - MT

WOW!!! Amazing.. fantastic work. I absolutely love the little windowed control area within the bay.

And bravo and congrats for being able to sneak away anytime with a new baby girl... aren't girls just the best, you'll find out in a few years when she becomes "Daddy's girl" and it'll make you forget all about Macross ...it happened to me (she's got me wrapped around her little fingers)! - now I'm just barely keeping up to date, but hardly building anymore - there will be plenty time for that when they become teenagers and we're not cool anymore :(

It's great that you have yours completely vertical, mine was on an angle off horizontal and has now sagged under the weight so that its pretty much horizontal now (even with that brass tube inside).

You can do that easy enough yourself with some small gears, a 360deg servo or a sail winch servo and an adruino controller.

I'll sketch something up. I have one of these coming so I'll add it to the list for this years projects and see if I can make a Bay with doors that open and then the arm extending before the Valks engines light up.

Edited by NZEOD

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Two Arms arrived today...!!!

So... how to make the arms extend out of the hangars once the doors have opened.

One idea is to make an extension off the back of the arm to run along a spinning threaded rod.

Another is to have guide rails and a belt drive on the back of the arm shaft.

Linear Actuators...

Edited by NZEOD

Two Arms arrived today...!!!

So... how to make the arms extend out of the hangars once the doors have opened.

One idea is to make an extension off the back of the arm to run along a spinning threaded rod.

Another is to have guide rails and a belt drive on the back of the arm shaft.

Linear Actuators...

You would need a really big bay if the arm were to extend all the way in and out, and the bay doors closing on the valkyrie.

Another option is to have the arm extend just a bit, as an effect, which would also be cool, without retracting all the way.

I couldn't do it now, but it would be a dream build for the future.

It only has to move 250mm to clear the hangar doors with wings fully open from my measurements last night. So with the box in the ceiling I need another 350mm max clearance to the roof tiles for the Actuator to slide in and out. Same if I use a guide rail with a rack & pinion set to move it.

Edited by NZEOD

It only has to move 250mm to clear the hangar doors with wings fully open from my measurements last night. So with the box in the ceiling I need another 350mm max clearance to the roof tiles for the Actuator to slide in and out. Same if I use a guide rail with a rack & pinion set to move it.

So your launch bay has to be 35cm deep to take the valkyrie in and close the doors?

It is a great job, and the mix oh H-Hanger kits and the launch arm is just a brilliant idea. I have a launch arm in my stash, and I ordered yesterday 2 K-Hanger from wave.. just after seeing this post.

Any pictures of the building phasis of the hangar would be very helpful... thanks in advance ! :)

So your launch bay has to be 35cm deep to take the valkyrie in and close the doors?

250mm deep inside the hangar. 350mm is needed behind the hangar rear wall for the linear actuator... although as I type this I realize I can actually run the arm on a rail on the ceiling of the hangar and not though the rear wall! that shrinks the size alot!

Edited by NZEOD

It is a great job, and the mix oh H-Hanger kits and the launch arm is just a brilliant idea. I have a launch arm in my stash, and I ordered yesterday 2 K-Hanger from wave.. just after seeing this post.

Any pictures of the building phase of the hangar would be very helpful... thanks in advance ! :)

I really want to know how the control centre was built!

How long has your one been holding the Valk Horizontally? Its not showing signs of bending?

Just a thought, the arm may also oscillate as it extends on the rail.

Just a thought, the arm may also oscillate as it extends on the rail.

drill a brass rod or tube deep into it and it'll stay straight forever... or are they cast that way?

that should also take care of any oscillation concerns...

Edited by slide

this ripoff/knockoff version has provisions for 65mm rods to be fitted. Not full length but better than nothing.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

this is frakking amazing! id LOVE to build one of these for myself, any idea what he used? (ps i am new to modeling), but still this is brilliant!

id love to build one that could hold a 1/60 but that would be difficult with mounting (possibly a metal cradle? that has faux super armor that reaches under the arms with it's frame?) 

Edited by Darkspire17