Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

A couple more mech slides for future kickstarter updates includinga drone and stealth like vehicle. Tommy credited another artist for the Tak... Ship. The plot for academy is pretty familiar. A young group doesn't know their base has the secrets to robotech and then a fold takes them to a new universe...

Guest davidwhangchoi

Lionsgate is doing a classic DVD featuring the original audio and the original macross series included.

is this on blu ray?

Sorry, not in line to ask questions. Shadow rising isn't dead but back burnered. No previous show mechs. No designs for enemy mechs yet but will be Masters themed. New mecha will be given to paladium for inclusion in their game. Tommy dropped the back to the future 2 name and Sentinels events would be visited in academy. If ks fails not all is not doomed but they went big to bring the actors in and use them for a full day rather than an hour and paying them for a full day because they're union.

is this on blu ray?

Doubtful, it was pitched as a set for the sentimental who wanted the grainy originals and mono audio.

Ha last question is 'why does this plot sound the same?'. Tommy dodged the question by saying no boys afraid of girls drama.

Guest davidwhangchoi

thanks Jenius, i was about to go 180 full turncoat pro HG :rolleyes: but that's disappointing news. i already have the set amigo on dvd...

Lionsgate is doing a classic DVD featuring the original audio and the original macross series included. The bass and applause from Sharknado 2 keeps overwhelming the conversation. First Carl name drop and rt Academy. Children of Zor are last remnants of rt masters.

Tommy claims Carl was secretive about rt Academy, nobody knew he was working on it.

So Lionsgate is doing a Macross DVD combining the original Japanese Macross audio with the Robotech audio or ADV Macross English dub??? The only way I see myself buying Macross again is if it were a new transfer for Blu Ray. Already have both the Animeigo and ADV sets.

As for the main subject on hand, there's still about an hour-and-a-half ago left to today (Central Time Zone), but the pledge for today is still under $1,500. I will be honest that as of a day or two back I thought they were going to be surging back towards the upper thousands again or higher. Did they really blow off that much steam in the first few days after the announcement?...

Edited by Apollo Leader

The only way top made this new series, is:

Joining with Warner Bros. and made it in a "Robotech: The Movie animated series.

Because same with the panel in SDCC they don't get the money before dead-line.

Edited by Old_Nash

Well, that's one way to avoid Q&A; make an hour-long presentation. sleeping-smiley-015.gifsleeping-smiley-009.gif

So my question is, in a professional opinion, no fanboy-goggles (from any franchise), did he sell it? If you walked in without any knowledge, were you impressed with his presentation or would you say, "No thanks."

So Lionsgate is releasing another collection but this time with the Original Macross on it as well? Is that version going to contain the ADV dub on it by any chance or was that not mentioned because the ADV sets online are, in the words of Jimmy Mcmillan, TOO DAMN HIGH. I would buy one of those in a heart beat

Edited by Atharun

Well, that's one way to avoid Q&A; make an hour-long presentation. sleeping-smiley-015.gifsleeping-smiley-009.gif

So my question is, in a professional opinion, no fanboy-goggles (from any franchise), did he sell it? If you walked in without any knowledge, were you impressed with his presentation or would you say, "No thanks."

No, absolutely not. He may have invoked curiosity in some but there was no sudden gust of momentum within the room. If it succeeds it will be because existing backers step up higher.

No, absolutely not. He may have invoked curiosity in some but there was no sudden gust of momentum within the room. If it succeeds it will be because existing backers step up higher.

Surely there will be some word of mouth promotion going on overdrive all weekend as well. I mean, why go through the expense of doing stuff like inviting Cesar if all you have planned for him is, apparently, just being at a panel?

Edited by Einherjar

One way to kill a project on a Kickstarter, is to say that if the project fails, the show may still go on. IF that is indeed the case WHY THE F!@#$%$%^ WOULD YOU BOTHER TO FUND IT? I'm sure Frank thought "why spend my money when the fans can do it for me" but if it may still go on, fans should ask "Why spend my money when HG can do it for me." See how that works?

Edited by Jasonc

Surely there will be some word of mouth promotion going on overdrive all weekend as well.

Oh look, a squirrel.

Unfortunately, it's going to be drowned out by the other big news coming this weekend. The DC and Marvel panels will likely drown out everything through the week as the fanboys start picking apart the announcements. As I said, SQUIRREL!

... and boy does it show! As of 8am EDT, the take for yesterday including the incredible rush to give give give that followed the Earth-shattering revelations of the Harmony Gold panel was a mind-blowing $1,444.

The Kicktraq trending-towards estimated total is now under 60% (59% - $296,131) and the projection high/low is $220,162 to $281,951 (44%-56%). SideKick's projection actually went up slightly, recovering from 5% to 8%, though that's not much of an actual recovery.

At this rate, the only way it stands a chance is if every backer is willing to throw $200 on top of whatever they've already given, and the comments on the Kickstarter suggest most are regretting pledging as high as they did already.

Yup, this is dead in the water. This was their chance and they totally blew it. The DVD set also stinks of desperation. "We'll give you Macross, just please fund our Kickstarter!"

Hit the nail on the head. They'll throw us another re-release of the Macross series on DVD (not blu-ray, DVD) if we please, please, pretty please throw some money at the Kickstarter. I'm waiting to hear back from HG's current distributor on a request for the sales numbers for the A&E Robotech box set. I'm expecting it to be less than 50,000.

...Isn't that a ship from R-type?

That's a Garfish-class transport from Genesis Climber MOSPEADA with its middle hangar replaced by a harpoon and some wings haphazardly glued to its sides. What an ugly mess.

Haven't paid attention in the last week so I decided to check out what updates have been made on the Kickstarter page...

This is supposed to be ROBOtech.... sooooooo robots. Where. Are. The. Fº$/%. ROBOTS!!!!

Heh. Nobody gets any robots until after this reaches the first bonus tier, after Rick Hunter is on board.

Besides, they want to draw out a different audience for this pilot, an audience that is just sitting and waiting to throw money at the screen, per Tommy himself: "No boys afraid of girls drama." I mean, they have how many women on staff?

Edited by technoblue

Am I the only one here that donated to the KS?

Give or take one or two people who may have backed it ironically, probably.

Look on the bright side... at least your gesture won't end up costing you money.

Just checked the kickstarter page. No updates.

They should have a longer Q & A. But, it's pretty smart on their part really. Best way to avoid the hard questions.

No updates, and a lot of recrimination on the comments page. You've got the few blind faithful profusely thanking Harmony Gold for "getting the word out" at SDCC and suggesting that because of this it'll hit a million bucks, and the sane men saying that they accomplished the square root of bugger all in the internet age, and that everyone who was going to pledge probably knew about the Kickstarter long before the panel thanks to the internet publicity.

Definitely a smart move on Harmony Gold's part to make the Q&A as short as possible... with the backers giving Kevin flack over his circular non-answers and question-dodging on the comments page, and some going so far as to suggest that he's failed the Turing test, the best thing would've been to avoid a queue of what would have been mostly questions about what they're gonna do if/when the Kickstarter fails, questions about why they've not released Macross stuff in the west if their claims of having all of the distribution rights to the franchise are true, why they're doing this instead of Shadow Chronicles, and why they're relying on "Do it for Carl!" so much instead of posting actual news people care about. A long Q&A session would've been slow and public suicide for the project and the staff.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The giant harpoon is silly, as are the knife wings they tacked onto the other ship. The HG group acted like all the DVD releases were beyond their control and that Lionsgate informed them what was being released.

10301590_832892473397186_428185142377277

I'm guessing they made that on a 3D printer? Looks like the same kind of plastic we were using with our 3D printers on my last job. Definitely R-Type-esque

As for the new DVD boxset, I found out last night that the boxset is a combination of Robotech, Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada so in a way it's an ultimate boxset. But I'm still waiting to hear back on what versions of the shows it will be. It's possible that the at the Robotech episodes are the original versions and not the remastered. Don't know if the Macross episodes are the Animeigo or ADV versions. In one way its good that Macross, SC, and Mospeada will be available again considering its been 8 to 10 years since any of them were last put out and some people may want such a set. But that's kind of the thing, how many people need a big ueber set like this especially with Robotech since they put out a new boxset almost every year? I think they should have just released Macross, SC, and Mospeada individually instead... of course all of us Macross fans are really clamouring for a Blu Ray set instead since that is what the Japanese market currently has.

It's sad, but the Kickstarter's now devolved into the fans hoping that the whole thing is a sham and Harmony Gold secretly has some other agency in the wings who'll chip in the missing $300,000.

Prediction: Original series crap murky mono from the ADV release + crap redone SFX from Robotech Remastered release + Robotech Remastered crap Ops & Ends, for the ultimate "Do Not Want" box set.