Oops, forgot two pics.

Also, it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that this will be my very last modeling project. I will be moving in the next few months and won't have time to make these types of projects anymore. I'll be putting what few kits from previous projects I have left in the sale section, and once the Legioss is done, that will be it. Grab what you can while you can because when it's gone it's gone for good.

My heart is sad, but my wallet breathed a sigh of relief. Your kits are one of a kind! I'll miss them. I hope you're moving somewhere nice!

My emotions on todays update:

:)

:D

:lol:

B))

:o

:blink:

:unsure:

:(

On a more on-topic question, how accurate do you make the curved parts? Straight edges seem like they'd be easier to scale up and down, but curves not so much. Do you free-hand shapes like the nosecone or are you able to measure it somehow to ensure accuracy?

Depends on the shape in question. In most cases, before I start sanding a curvature, I mark off specific centers and reference points and then proceed to eyeball the curve. If it's really complex, I'll draw cross-section lines across the curve with a pencil and tape to gauge my progress. When you can freehand a curve and most people look at it and think it was done with with a CNC mill, it's cos you've been at it a long time :p

John, Macross modeling will never be the same without you. I really hope someday you'll find the time to do another project: You owe us a Q-Rau and a proper TV SDF-1!!

Also, it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that this will be my very last modeling project. I will be moving in the next few months and won't have time to make these types of projects anymore.

So no Tread? Dang! :(

What will you do for frustration? Marriage and kids..? ;)

So no Tread? Dang! :(

What will you do for frustration? Marriage and kids..? ;)

I think that work will provide all the frustration I need and then some. In some ways, this will be a blessing as it will allow me to take my modeling back as a hobby. If my models do live-on, it will only be if some of you guys acquire the masters and make them yourselves because I think that my departure is quite permanent this time.

I was just catching up on this build (looks AWESOME by the way) and bummed to see you're "retiring" from producing kits. Major bummer!!! You just broke a bunch of hearts all across the globe!

On a lighter note, hopefully the move and job work out for you! Hopefully you'll ke in touch with us here still too! - MT

Oops, forgot two pics.

Also, it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that this will be my very last modeling project. I will be moving in the next few months and won't have time to make these types of projects anymore. I'll be putting what few kits from previous projects I have left in the sale section, and once the Legioss is done, that will be it. Grab what you can while you can because when it's gone it's gone for good.

Just kinda threw it out there, huh? Sad to see you leave. It's the end of an era. We were all really looking forward to a Cap'n version Q-Rau. Hopefully, you'll still keep a strong presence on these forums.

I'm not a model builder, and as a result haven't participated in funding any of these kits. But as someone who always enjoyed seeing all the WIP posts and and appreciates the passion and skill that goes into making these things, I am disappointed to hear that these projects are coming to an end. That said, I understand life happens and we gotta do what we gotta do.

Sad news as one of your fans and long time customers, but I hope the move and perhaps associated work opportunity is a great success. We'll miss your kit offerings but hopefully we'll still see you on the boards and who knows, maybe the bug will bite you again somewhere down the road :)

Just a quick shout-out to you guys: because of the new customs forms, I do need your phone numbers when shipping and I still have empty slots for the following members:

-sbantonelli

-RKSC

-DarkArchon3000

-Ghadrack

-DarrinG

-Wave-one

-WWWMWWW

-Reflex

-Jennety

-Neptunesurvey

-Petrov27

-Tober

-squigglysquid

Otherwise I can't ship with tracking. Thanks in advance:)

OH NO! This announcement may just signal the end of the "golden age" of Macross modelling!

John, your skill and passion have been great blessings to many model builders and fans of Macross. I have always been so inspired by your kits and have been very thankful that I have had the opportunity to purchase them and interact with you during the creative process. It has also always been a pleasure to deal with you for any transaction. Your skill, creativity and professionalism should stand as a shining example to all small operation model kit makers.

While we in the modelling community will definitely miss your fantastic kits, I sincerely hope that your move and career bring you much peace, joy and personal satisfaction. You have our best wishes for a limitless and fulfilling future! Please be sure to keep in touch with the community here and the people who will always appreciate you and your talent.

Thanks for the great times!

Hi Bill. I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words. It's been an honor to have you as a customer and even if my commercial scratchbuilding career is nearing its end, I will look back on this period of my life with fondness and remember all the awesome people that gave me a chance and supported me all along the way. What I was able to do, I could only do because of your support! ^_^

And while I'm at it...Captain’s Log Friday, September 25th!!

It’s been a loooong week and I’m starting to get there. I’m actually quite a bit further along than the pics show, so expect another update early to mid next week. That said, on with the show…

DSCF5606: part of the wing and Leading Edge eXtensions taking shape.

DSCF5607: the engine nacelles and the inlet area. The latter begins life on the lathe and will be carefully blended to the nacelle, going fron perfectly circular to angular.

DSCF5608: head parts in their early phases.

DSCF5609-10: the shoulder module in its early stages, requiring lots of milling operations.

DSCF5611: the thigh part gets some detailing work in the form of the yellow/gold sensor housing. I used the putty-molding technique because I want both left and right sensors to be identical.

DSCF5612: the arm will have a very respectable range of motion to accomodate many different poses.

DSCF5613 and 15: while not outright variable, I wanted to make perfectly certain that the proportions of the parts are true for all versions, so I elected to mock the parts up in Fighter mode. You can’t see it in the pics, but I made some slight alterations to the wing profile to optimize transient performance and reduce turbulence along the wingtips… Who else loves you guys enough to do that? :D

post-632-0-67507000-1443219241_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-70796100-1443219254_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-92634100-1443219266_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-04358800-1443219281_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-58183600-1443219294_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-69789600-1443219313_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-85691100-1443219330_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-58705100-1443219343_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-57170200-1443219361_thumb.jpg

This is going fast!! It looks fantastic!

But this kit will have a bitter taste, knowing that it will be the last... You leave us dreaming with Macross kits so important like Q-Rau or a SDF-1 Hase-Smasher-TV version.

John, you're the best thing that may happened to Macross & Mospeada Garage Kit History. We love you man!!

John, I am saddened to hear that this will be your last project with us, especially after being excited at the possibility of a TV SDF-1 as your next project. Seeing these Legioss pictures reminds me of the first time I saw your work so many years ago. I am as amazed today as I was back then at the level of detail and quality, and at how quickly you work your magic. Your kits have been true masterpieces and I feel lucky to have been able to subscribe to your weekly scratch building guides. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Aaand here are thew overall pics! Some parts are notably absent or crooked due to me not being able to glue parts together without damaging the masters. It really is just a pint-sized version of my 1/32 kit but with all three heads and minor cosmetic upgrades.

Missiles: they are not separate, they will be molded as a cluster which itself is a separate module from the missile bay. This is necessary because the kit already has a very high parts count, but also because I made the missiles with enhanced prominence (for visual appeal) and consequently, you cannot close the bay door with them in place.

Hands: you might have noticed that these do not figure in any of the pics, and rightly so! I opted to use Wave F-hands, so with your kit you will be getting a set of plastic "manipulators" which should make the building process that much less tedious ^_^

Next comes the instructions principal photography, followed by mold-prep. Stay tuned!

post-632-0-90059600-1444321017_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-16772400-1444321083_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-54069500-1444321182_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-86375800-1444321263_thumb.jpg