Sdf-1 (tv) 3d Model

mac666er

Hi fello MWer's, I was actually posting my work in progress some months ago in this forum, but seems that the thread disappeared...

Anyhow, I did some more work on the SDf-1 and I would like to post my progress in here.

Please critic away! :D

The SDF itself:

sdf.jpg

The bridge:

sdf_bridge.jpg

The Prometheus:

Prometheus_2.jpg

And the Daedalus:

Daedalus-2.jpg

Daedalus_2.jpg

Daedalus_3.jpg

Nice .Give us more!

408642[/snapback]

I tried to see if I could get a believable Ocean rendering but I am stuck in how to make the foam and wake believable in maya... I am afraid it doesn't look very good:

sdf_lighted_water.jpg

daedalus3.jpg

On a positive note, I got access to a new program that renders daylight more realistically. Here is a test with the Daedalus. It is still looks like plastic, but I think it looks better. What do you guys think?

mxcl_default_4-s.jpg

mac

Edited by mac666er

Great model. I agree with Knight26 though, the front of the Daedalus does look squared off a little too much. Are you planning on doing any type of interior modeling?

Doing some beautiful work on your SDF-01. But I hate to say this. But your water looks like there to much repeats going on there. Here another question? I got this felling I'm going to get banned from this board. But, is your ship near Dock or out in sea?

Other then that! The SDF-01 and her ships look great!

knight and Pen: hmmm I really hadn't noticed that, will start working on it right away!

Pen: hmmm probably, just the entrance to the Daedalus, but it depends on how much spare time I have this summer, because I want to detail the hull of all the ships a little more.

broadshore: just wanted to make some tests at sea in Maya. I agree, the pattern in the water is a straight-giveaway for CG and it kills somewhat the image. However that in itself will require a lot of work on my part to fix so I will not work on any sea set anymore, just modeling.

I will post updates soon.

IMHO, the water effect is ok, as an image. Most people won't pick it apart. Though, the problem is that there is no shadow from the ship on the water... for me, that's what fails to sell the image.

The final shaded image presented above does look wonderful. It has a lot of weight and volume to it - so kudos for that.

I believe that when you get the final skin on the model, it'll look much better. You may want to make it more of a matte finish, so it doesn't have the glossiness of a plastic model. Though, it really depends on the amount of detail in the skin... the average viewer (looking at it for only a few seconds) won't notice those kinds of things nor the small mistakes that are all to glarring to the artist. ;)

Small update, I have been playing with the textures, and continued modeling.

Here is a (somewhat crude) version of a textured Daedalus:

daedalus_render.jpg

I still want to add more detail, but will continue modeling for now.

Any comments welcome.

mac

The texture itself actually looks great... but I think I figured out what keeps making me think, "Is that a toy model?" It's the texture of the model. For instance, look at the angled sections which have the most light reflecting off of them. All those speckles make it look quite convincingly plastic. Any way to change how the program renders it, so that effect is replaced with a matte (or metallic!) texture?

Based upon the work itself, that's a beautiful model. Keep up the great work. ^-^

The texture itself actually looks great... but I think I figured out what keeps making me think, "Is that a toy model?" It's the texture of the model. For instance, look at the angled sections which have the most light reflecting off of them. All those speckles make it look quite convincingly plastic. Any way to change how the program renders it, so that effect is replaced with a matte (or metallic!) texture?

Based upon the work itself, that's a beautiful model. Keep up the great work. ^-^

413164[/snapback]

Like this perhaps? :p

daedalus_render_3.jpg

mac666er: does this look familiar?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...opic=18403&st=0

I wish it was taking less time for my project! I saw your SDF-1 and thought it was a B/W photo of the Imai model at first glance! It all looks good! If you want some tips on any of the angles or other aspects, just say the word. I've been studying drawings of this thing for months now! Keep it up man! - MT

mac666er: does this look familiar?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...opic=18403&st=0

I wish it was taking less time for my project!  I saw your SDF-1 and thought it was a B/W photo of the Imai model at first glance!  It all looks good!  If you want some tips on any of the angles or other aspects, just say the word.  I've been studying drawings of this thing for months now!  Keep it up man! - MT

413642[/snapback]

Hey, I just saw your thread, and I must say, I wished I had ventured into the miniature-modeling threads before.... That is some serious piece of work you have there.

I had all of the problems you mentioned... most of the proportions don't make any sense from different angles, and so I have to guesstimate how it should look.

I want to build a Do You Remember Love SDF 1 and thought that I would first do the TV one to see how it would look...As you can see I am still learning a lot but I think is coming along...

Anyway thanks for droping by, I will be checking your thread and if you have any comments please do tell them!

Thanks ! You are really an inspiration! Nothing like being able to TOUCH what you spent so much time in :-(

mac

Thank you. It takes all kinds of talent. Don't downplay the work it takes to do a good 3-d drawing. I can do 2-D, but clueless in 3-D. I think I figured out several angles. Want to give them a try?

The upper deck (the boxy area) has to be square in the front for the ramp to fold up (and be water tight like the text description). But the pictures and Imai model have a slight inward angle. I'm guessing square in the front and angled gradually towards the back?

I believe the main door is at an 85 degree angle, but I'm still looking into that.

The four stabilizers on the sides I believe are at the same level, but two near the bow, just before the bend into the bow and two near the stern, just before the rear bend area. The single verticle bow stabilizer, I believe is at the lowest part (still looking into that).

Those are the areas I'm working on. Want to try modeling them? - MT

Thank you.  It takes all kinds of talent.  Don't downplay the work it takes to do a good 3-d drawing.  I can do 2-D, but clueless in 3-D.  I think I figured out several angles.  Want to give them a try?

thanks for the kind words!

The upper deck (the boxy area) has to be square in the front for the ramp to fold up (and be water tight like the text description).  But the pictures and Imai model have a slight inward angle.  I'm guessing square in the front and angled gradually towards the back?

Hmmmm I agree, it is not a box with 90 degree angles. However I don't have access to the hobby models, so from the blueprints that I have it looks just like a 90 degree angle box with beveled/rounded corners. I think this is so because of the ramp that has to unfold as you mentioned, but also because there are two floors inside full of destroids aligned up to deck B. Deck B by the way is where the bridge ends/ and from the inside shots, it is just a large square room.

while discussing deck A, I am still unsure of the dimensions. Since a monster destroid can easily walk through deck A (alongside the two floors of tomahawk class destroids), I am unsure as to how tall the Daedalus really is.

I believe the main door is at an 85 degree angle, but I'm still looking into that.

i have -43 degrees in mine, please look at pic.

The four stabilizers on the sides I believe are at the same level, but two near the bow, just before the bend into the bow and two near the stern, just before the rear bend area.  The single verticle bow stabilizer, I believe is at the lowest part (still looking into that).

from perspective blue prints I have they look like they are at the same level, look at second pick.

Those are the areas I'm working on.  Want to try modeling them? - MT

I'll post an update soon!

mac

post-2898-1152561566_thumb.jpg

post-2898-1152561833_thumb.jpg

So here are a few updates,

Sadly the bridge of the Daedalus was lost in a corrupted file, it will take me a while to put it back on the ship.

Anyway, I was able to add some more details and included lamps and lights. So... here they are. Enjoy!

mac.

daedalus_render_13.jpg

Have you ever wondered how all these ships would look at night? :p

daedalus_render_14.jpg

Fine work Mac666! But why did you decide to use Subdivision Surfaces on this model? Oh, and btw, what prog are you using??

415786[/snapback]

Well, I worked a lot with subdivisions before, and I needed a project to expand my abilities using subdivisions... and the fact that the blue prints were not accurate made me think that I would need somet weaking so sticked to them. Had the blueprints been exact I guess NURBs would have been the way to go.

As for the program I use maya for modeling and Maxwell for renderer... they take a while to fully understand them, so this is a nice excercise to get a grasp on them :D

Thanks for stopping by!

I hope to post more updates soon!

mac

Oh MAYA! :lol:

Using Maya is a painful experience but if you get fast with it then you'll be good to go for other programs as well. Thanks for satisfing my curosity! :)

I'd like to say that your subd is good but there are about 8 errors that can easly be seen. *shrugs* Not nitpicking, just making an obversation. And if you need any help with a subd problem go ahead and ask me because I only do SubD work.

Oh MAYA!  :lol:

Using Maya is a painful experience but if you get fast with it then you'll be good to go for other programs as well. Thanks for satisfing my curosity! :)

I'd like to say that your subd is good but there are about 8 errors that can easly be  seen. *shrugs* Not nitpicking, just making an obversation. And if you need any help with a subd problem go ahead and ask me because I only do SubD work.

415900[/snapback]

Thanks! I am correcting most errors now as i obtained the sdf reference model from 3ds MAX and XSI (long story short.. I was deciding on which platform to stick.. so as you can see I decided to use Maya)... and through the importing I got some unwanted triangles... :( but by all means please post whatever errors you see... If you just circle them in red that would be very helpful!

Thanks for the message!

mac

Very nice work!!

I can only hope and dream that if a live action movie is ever made that someone like yourself with your attention to detail will be hired to do the cg work.

good luck with your CG career you totaly have talent man. :)

Looks great Mac. I've been busy in the other sections and building, sorry for the delay. The Daedalus looks good. I see what you mean about the front hatch. All the drawings I see have varied angles so I'm going with "looks good." :) I'm still working out the right angles and placements for the stabilizers. :huh: Keep up the great work! - MT

I still can't shake the "plasticy" feeling of these renders... is it an option in Maya to have models smoothed to make them look like... well... models?

I find it very difficult to describe the way an image "feels," but I'll try this. The edges seem a little too rounded, and there are "speckles" on the surface which are reminiscent of plastic. For reference:

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/9848/1000860mw9.jpg

It is a poor picture because the camera is poor, but you can see the light reflecting off of the varied surface of the plastic in the handle. It is this "effect" in the renders that I've been talking about. The way the renders look like pastic models rather than full-sized metallic starships and seafaring vessels.

As for the designs themselves, quite impressive and well-done. A great eye for detail--especially on the Deadalus. I didn't even recall it having a bridge like that. Shows how much I know, eh?

Keep up the great work,

NW