Real Tron Light Cycle

peter

honestly, it gets a lot of the details, but it completely misses the fundamental shape of the legacy light cycle.

btw, the new light cycles are also much truer to Syd Mead's original design than the final version used in the 1982 movie.

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.com/2011/10/syd-meads-tron-concept-art-helped-shape.html

honestly, it gets a lot of the details, but it completely misses the fundamental shape of the legacy light cycle.

btw, the new light cycles are also much truer to Syd Mead's original design than the final version used in the 1982 movie.

http://filmsketchr.b...lped-shape.html

Syd Mead....is he still credited as the guy who single-handedly almost derailed the entire Gundam franchise?

Edited by reddsun1

Syd Mead....is he still credited as the guy who single-handedly almost derailed the entire Gundam franchise?

Sorry for the OT, but I've never heard this before. Can you fill me in as to why he almost derailed the whole franchise, I'd like to know!

Thanks

Sorry for the OT, but I've never heard this before. Can you fill me in as to why he almost derailed the whole franchise, I'd like to know!

Thanks

He did mecha design for Turn-A Gundam. Specifically, the title mech.

Apparently, making a Gundam with a moustache counts as derailing the franchise.

As opposed to making a bunch of vapid prettyboys driving super robots and playing war while spouting a bunch of inane, hopelessly naive, pseudo-philosophical drivel, which is A-OK!

Edited by JB0

by derail you mean contributing the most striking and original piece of design work ever associated with the Gundam franchise, then yes, that was him.

Man, I'm not really into Gundam, but that has got to be one of the the ugliest mechs I have ever seen, haha! The moustache, haha, does it move when the pilot speaks through the loudspeakers?

Anyway, back to the bikes...they look pretty cool. Probably super uncomfortable to ride, but hey, at least there's a company that's making these dreams come true.

Kaneda's bike has been "in the making" for so long and there still hasn't been a decent replica out there yet. Some have come close, but there are so few out there trying. Maybe this bike will spark an interest in making more tv/movie/anime replicas?

Edited by peter

Man, I'm not really into Gundam, but that has got to be one of the the ugliest mechs I have ever seen, haha! The moustache, haha, does it move when the pilot speaks through the loudspeakers?

No, but when the pilot turns evil, he uses the Gundam's finger to twirl the mustache............really!

(No, just kidding).

Graham

Apparently, making a Gundam with a moustache counts as derailing the franchise.

So he also did g-gundam?

As opposed to making a bunch of vapid prettyboys driving super robots and playing war while spouting a bunch of inane, hopelessly naive, pseudo-philosophical drivel, which is A-OK!

You just described just about every gundam series made after 1998.

on topic. looks awesome but probably rides like crap. also how do you service it and how expensive are the tires.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Yeah, I don't think these things were designed to compete with established road bikes that are in production. These are a rich person's novelty toy, nothing more. I seriously doubt anyone who shells out $50,000 is thinking they're gonna get much performance out of these.

Still, if I had wads of money, I'd get one. I'd also commission a life size Valk to put in my backyard.....like the Gundam in Odaiba.

Edited by peter

You just described just about every gundam series made after 1998.

Did I? Funny coincidence there. ;)

On-topic, I really do like the aesthetics of Tron: Legacy. Though I wouldn't be caught dead driving that bike.