[24 hour topic] Of course no one at HG...

EXO

IDW Transformers comic artist Guido Guidi did a Robotech tryout for the now defunct Dreamwave Comics and had posted it on Deviantart. It was some work he did as a pitch for a Robotech comic and it had Macross Plus characters and designs all over it.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Robotech-tryout-for-Dreamwave-38495739

Truth is, while members here may be "pros" at what is and is not Robotech/Macross, it seems a great many people do mix the 2 up on a regular basis.

Edited by Atharun

We, including myself, should really stop calling it a franchise. Robotech was one show and they have yet to make a complete sequel.

Maybe "metaseries" might be a good word to use instead, since last anybody heard they still considered at least one of the comics published under the Wildstorm imprint to be an official part of the Robotech story.

Come to think of it, that's probably why they're so deadset on muddying the waters between them and Macross... to make it look like they haven't spent the last thirty odd years tossing cards into a hat and giving each other piggyback rides between abysmal failures.

IDW Transformers comic artist Guido Guidi did a Robotech tryout for the now defunct Dreamwave Comics and had posted it on Deviantart. It was some work he did as a pitch for a Robotech comic and it had Macross Plus characters and designs all over it.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Robotech-tryout-for-Dreamwave-38495739

Truth is, while members here may be "pros" at what is and is not Robotech/Macross, it seems a great many people do mix the 2 up on a regular basis.

Seems like he's more of a Macross plus fan that submitted the drawing with other drawings of mechs and robots as a sample. I tried looking thru the gallery for where it's mixed up but I'm on my phone.

Guido was already doing work for them on their Transformers titles. I don't think this piece was because he was a fan, if I remember correctly someone asked him about this on the IDW board years ago and it seemed like there was a ton of confusion because many fans don't know the history, etc of the franchises. People can knock one or the other all they want but the more you look around, fans do genuinely seem to mix the two often.

We, including myself, should really stop calling it a franchise. Robotech was one show and they have yet to make a complete sequel.

Franchise is still appropriate as there was a toy line and books and comics and all that other related merch.

Certainly, it's not an ANIMATION franchise, but it is still a franchise.

I'm sorry, are we actually arguing in favor of the fratboy mentality for this blog writer? If ignorance is his defense, he deserves scorn. But let's play devil's advocate and assume he's not intentionally ignorant or malicious. Most people ignorant of the differences between Macross/Robotech don't write about it. Maybe this blog writer shouldn't be writing about what he doesn't know.

I'm sorry, are we actually arguing in favor of the fratboy mentality for this blog writer? If ignorance is his defense, he deserves scorn. But let's play devil's advocate and assume he's not intentionally ignorant or malicious. Most people ignorant of the differences between Macross/Robotech don't write about it. Maybe this blog writer shouldn't be writing about what he doesn't know.

I think what we're doing is one part lamenting his -er- lamentable ignorance and one part wondering if he's a troll, an idiot, or if he's genuinely been taken in by Harmony Gold's misdirection.

I agree that if it's simple ignorance, there's probably no legitimate excuse when even the Robotech wikipedia article makes at least a token effort to distinguish between Robotech and Macross, and the matter could've been clarified with five seconds spent on Google.

If he's being willfully trollish or has been misinformed by Harmony Gold, it's a more complex issue.

Macross7 + Macross Zero + Macross Frontier = Robotech Academy XD

They wish. It would probably be closer to this:

Edit:

The author is lazy. The comments section is equally cringe worthy.And I now get irritated whenever i hear the RT theme song play.

So who's gonna buy this thing when it comes out?

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

This is why I take umbrage:

His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the Huffington Post, CNET and more. Michael frequently travels to international events such as IFA, Computex, CES, Book Expo and a myriad of others.

On his own blog, he is making claims that he is a professional. However, the article reveals a lack of fact checking, is littered with obvious errors, and reads with a heavy bias. Personally, I couldn't care less if this guy wasn't able to tell Robotech from Transformers, but he shouldn't make claims that he cannot back up with evidence. This is why I see a lack of credibility here.

Furthermore, I find it peculiar that he is actively debating those who go out of their way to correct his misinformation.

That is not the way of a professional reporter, or a professional writer of any ilk.

It's a hack piece, and I agree with Mr. March. The main intent is most likely click bait.

This is why I take umbrage:

On his own blog, he is making claims that he is a professional. However, the article reveals a lack of fact checking, is littered with obvious errors, and reads with a heavy bias. Personally, I couldn't care less if this guy wasn't able to tell Robotech from Transformers, but he shouldn't make claims that he cannot back up with evidence. This is why I see a lack of credibility here.

Furthermore, I find it peculiar that he is actively debating those who go out of their way to correct his misinformation.

That is not the way of a professional reporter, or a professional writer of any ilk.

It's a hack piece, and I agree with Mr. March. The main intent is most likely click bait.

Possibly or it could be he made something up real quick to say he actually did some work.

well lets look at it. the super dimensional macross saga first started in a war against the Zentradi. Rick Hunter, Lisa, Max Stirling etc. After defeating the Z they took the expedtionary force to hunt for the robotech masters. Shortly afterwards, they invid invasion occurs, settings up the events of Southern Cross. I did not mention it in the article, but of course there is the 2nd generation, macross 7, the limited series Macros Plus (which was actually fairly good) and various other OVA. I was a big fan of everything robotech/macross.

that article and author make my blood boil! wtf.

Makes me :rolleyes:

Like I said, anyone with an internet connection and a computing device can be a "journalist". Doesn't mean you actually are. After this many days of not fixing the article, it's click-bait at this point.

I have an idea for next year's MW April Fool's gag now.

I have an idea for next year's MW April Fool's gag now.

Maybe that's why Robotech.com has stopped doing really visible April Fool's jokes... it's become impossible to distinguish between the sort of thing you'd do for an April Fool's joke and the kind of thing their management does with a perfectly straight face on a daily basis.

Ah well, trolls be trollin'.

Did I get sniped, or is this just a coincidence?

Not that it matters. I would have posted this in the Roboblech Academy thread, but the bones of that tomb definitely need to stay unmolested.