DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

Do you reckon it's exclusively his choice of 'adults' as characters in his works that works against him? Or is there more to it?

I think the standalone episodic format of most Champloo and Bebop episodes up to the climax is one factor.

That and the decidedly personal and non "epic" nature of his protagonists'

Story arcs compared to mainstream shows also seems to bore and turn some people off

Thora only did Zero BD rips, not Plus.

There is no HD sources for Plus available to the public. Thus any "HD" release at this point is upscale and thus done by idiots.

Gotta emphasize this for truth. All the dvd rips in "HD" so far are laughable unless done from a true HD source (not DVD)

Edited by xrentonx

I think the standalone episodic format of most Champloo and Bebop episodes up to the climax is one factor. That and the decidedly personal and non "epic" nature of his protagonists' Story arcs compared to mainstream shows also seems to bore and turn some people off
Actually, the standalone element works in their favour when it comes to gaining a wider viewership. The problem is that they tend not to be escapist enough for normal folks and didnt pander enough to specific demographics to be a huge hit with the otaku crowd. Its similar to the reason that shows like BSG or game of thrones or walking dead turn up to Japan months or years late and even then are strictly cable or rental only - most adults are looking for brief escapism and dont want to deal with realistic characters or plots in their entertainment. This is why japanese dramas have such awful acting by Western standards - the actors tend to yell, over-emote, etc, because the viewer could never act that way in real life with all its strictly controlled social interactions/relationships. As such is a form of escapism that often comes off as corny to those who are more used to relatively 'realistic' acting in a lot of Western shows and is a turnoff (ie, look at how few japanese movies.tv shows get released outside of Japan these days).

So...to vaguely get my original point back on track, adult anime characters are less useful for escapism than blonde ninjas or stretchy pirates, etc.

EDIT: I also finally managed to track down some japanese fans of some of the above shows after many years in Japan. The trick was to look for Yoko Kanno fans ;-)

Edited by Tochiro

Alright, I fished around the official site again, and found the's comparison pic's between what I think says the 25th anniv HD remaster, and the new 30th anviv remaster.

post-278-0-20019100-1336722178_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-54087600-1336722196_thumb.jpg

post-278-0-47357600-1336722213_thumb.jpgpost-278-0-32222700-1336722230_thumb.jpg

Overall, looks like they handled things quite nicely.

OK, now THIS is insane.

http://b.bngi-channel.jp/macross/

As we know, Bandai Visual are including a bucketload of reproduction posters with the DYRL box. However, there are some ultra-rare things that they are still trying to hunt down -- AND THEY'VE CALLED UPON THE FANS FOR HELP.

So, like an episode of Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack, get in contact if you have any of the following:

Skylark Restaurants "Do you Remember the Taste?" promotional posters

DYRL promotional poster for trains

Posters included with My Anime 1984 August and October issues

Animage October and December 84 issue promotional train posters (Holy crap, they advertised Animage on the TRAINS -- who says anime is becoming more mainstream now??)

DYRL Postcard book (Hey, I have that one!)

...Or any other rarity that you feel has some value -- SEND IT IN! Ban-Visi will scan it and put it in the box. If your contribution gets used, you shall have it returned, possibly in a less pristine, more damaged version than before, but they will also reward you with a free copy of the DYRL Ultimate Bluray Megabox... which, you obviously were going to buy anyway.

You have until 15th May 2012 to part with your goodies.

Yay?

OK, now THIS is insane.

(...)

:blink:

Animage October and December 84 issue promotional train posters (Holy crap, they advertised Animage on the TRAINS -- who says anime is becoming more mainstream now??)

Who exactly has been perpetuating that myth?

As we know, Bandai Visual are including a bucketload of reproduction posters with the DYRL box. However, there are some ultra-rare things that they are still trying to hunt down -- AND THEY'VE CALLED UPON THE FANS FOR HELP.

...Or any other rarity that you feel has some value -- SEND IT IN! Ban-Visi will scan it and put it in the box. If your contribution gets used, you shall have it returned, possibly in a less pristine, more damaged version than before, but they will also reward you with a free copy of the DYRL Ultimate Bluray Megabox... which, you obviously were going to buy anyway.

You have until 15th May 2012 to part with your goodies.

Yay?

Seeing as how Bandai Visual is trying to include every single piece of DYRL artwork ever made, does anyone else get the feeling that this might be the last hurrah for DYRL on physical media?

As for those rare posters/advertisements, if they're still out there, they're probably very expensive now and in the hands of private collectors. BV's going to need to up their ante if think collectors are going to willingly devalue their prized possessions for a BD box set.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Hmmm... when I get home from work today, I'm going to check my copies of MyAnime. I have a few and they were definitely from the mid-1980s...

Ack, my copies were from 1985.

Edited by Vifam7

Seeing as how Bandai Visual is trying to include every single piece of DYRL artwork ever made, does anyone else get the feeling that this might be the last hurrah for DYRL on physical media?

As for those rare posters/advertisements, if they're still out there, they're probably very expensive now and in the hands of private collectors. BV's going to need to up their ante if think collectors are going to willingly devalue their prized possessions for a BD box set.

This is why I ultimately decided to pick up the upcoming blu-ray release of both the series and the movie. I just can't see their being another physical media format after blu-ray. I know there is other media (disc) formats in development, but I just can't see how in this "inter-connected instant download" world their being a market for them.

Who exactly has been perpetuating that myth?

Tochiro, for one. :p

Seriously, though, in some ways it is becoming more mainstream, but we would also have to redefine "mainstream" to fit the Japanese social landscape...

Yep, my thoughts exactly. In fact, I wrote as much in the "Front Page" version of my post on this thread -- btw, does anyone actually check the front page?

As for the collectors -- I can certainly see people refusing to cooperate even if they own that stuff. I had no idea that the Postcard Book was so rare, I'm thinking of actually sending it in, since I'm really not anal about those things, as long as I get it back. As added insurance, I might get in touch with a friend at BV to keep an eye on it... ;)

post-1318-0-21523300-1336784242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato

Yep, my thoughts exactly. In fact, I wrote as much in the "Front Page" version of my post on this thread -- btw, does anyone actually check the front page?

Haha, I posted that comment right before I checked the front page. After so many years of inactivity, I've gotta break my habit of going to the forums first. :)

I think Bandai Visual might have a greater outpouring of help if they'd offer to return those items with signatures from DYRL's main staffers and give the donor credit in the BD booklet. That way, no money exchanges hands and the collector will still have a one-of-a-kind item.

I'm surprised to see the DYRL postcard book on BV's want list. I also have a copy and I do remember seeing it listed pretty regularly on eBay and YJA.

As for the collectors -- I can certainly see people refusing to cooperate even if they own that stuff. I had no idea that the Postcard Book was so rare, I'm thinking of actually sending it in, since I'm really not anal about those things, as long as I get it back. As added insurance, I might get in touch with a friend at BV to keep an eye on it... ;)

From the Bandai page, it looks like they had a poster advertising the Postcard book, not the book itself. This is what I assume since the title of the search is "Please Lend Us Your Treasured Posters!". The description is a bit vague though, but I have three copies of the book myself (all stored away somewhere).

Put my order down for the regular edition back in March

I own the original DVD set (BCBA-238) and the remastered set as well (BCBA-3170). Didn't want to spam the links, so I pasted the catalog numbers instead. Triple dipping is fun. Did it with Gunbuster R1/R2/Blu-ray :)

Edited by mamochan

From the Bandai page, it looks like they had a poster advertising the Postcard book, not the book itself. This is what I assume since the title of the search is "Please Lend Us Your Treasured Posters!". The description is a bit vague though, but I have three copies of the book myself (all stored away somewhere).

That's true, but they actually describe the other items as specific posters whereas they only refer to the book as an actual book. The other posters are quite specific in terms of description: furoku posters, shanai-zuri (for trains), etc. But if there was one about the book there is no description.

Also... It looks like the page was updated since I posted the link. The book is no longer listed! I guess they got one or more entries from owners (myself included). The funny thing is, because my name is obviously that of a foreigner, unless I'm the sole owner of the book, I really doubt that they would choose me as the "donor" -- since I imagine that they'll probably just assume they have to deal with international shipping.

Oh well... We'll see how this pans out.

That's true, but they actually describe the other items as specific posters whereas they only refer to the book as an actual book. The other posters are quite specific in terms of description: furoku posters, shanai-zuri (for trains), etc. But if there was one about the book there is no description.

Also... It looks like the page was updated since I posted the link. The book is no longer listed! I guess they got one or more entries from owners (myself included). The funny thing is, because my name is obviously that of a foreigner, unless I'm the sole owner of the book, I really doubt that they would choose me as the "donor" -- since I imagine that they'll probably just assume they have to deal with international shipping.

Oh well... We'll see how this pans out.

I reread the page entry and it was probably the book, since they mention "Poster nado" (Posters, etc). I wonder why they want the book though, since there were no posters in it. I guess it did have four new Mikimoto illustrations and is the only place the scenario is printed (from what I know). I've been wanting to read the scenario again since I remember there were quite a few changes from the final movie.

It looks like they've had a good response and are only missing the train and Animage posters now. I would think the Animage posters would be easy to find (I saw them years ago at Mandarake but had no way of taking them back to the states with me).

The Macross DYRL 25th Anniversary Box set had almost all the movie mechanical and character drawings from the Gold Book. That is about the closest in terms of a scale down version of it.

Yup, it's just too bad the first pressing accidentally omitted an entire page. Rather than bothing with trying to exchange/request a copy of that page, I just printed out a picture of it and slid it in... :)

Yup, it's just too bad the first pressing accidentally omitted an entire page. Rather than bothing with trying to exchange/request a copy of that page, I just printed out a picture of it and slid it in... :)

It's the storyboard book that's missing a page, though, not the design book. By the way, it's missing a couple of more pages because there are a few more scenes that are storyboarded that did not make it into the film, namely Max and Millia's wedding. That's not in the book. Bandai Visual were apologetic that due to some printing glitch they left a page blank, but at the end of the day the book is still incomplete as far as storyboards for the movie are concerned.

Oh, and the Design book is missing the VE-1 lineart, believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

Another lineart that is missing is the super vf-1a showing its landing gears (Pls correct me if I am wrong - Have to check that again). I think 98% of the gold book's linearts are in the design book.

On a side note, I am surprise that there has been no effort in revising both books for the 30th Anniversary Edition. Having a mini-size gold book w/ a storyboard book included as part of the box set would make it an instant hit.