Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

SDCC has hundreds of panels though. I don't know how mechacon is but if it's small and it's focus is on mecha anime then there's a chance that the majority of attendees will go to the panel. Unless there's a Gundam panel at the same time. But again, it depends more or less on how strong the word of mouth is for that con. SDCC has a great reach, but you need to be at a big hall, during the day to attract a good attendance for your panel. 7pm... Most every one is at the Gas Lamp getting drunk already.

But there's no con on the face of the earth that can turn the tides on that funding project... Sadly enough.

Oh popcorn where art though.

SDCC has hundreds of panels though. I don't know how mechacon is but if it's small and it's focus is on mecha anime then there's a chance that the majority of attendees will go to the panel. Unless there's a Gundam panel at the same time. But again, it depends more or less on how strong the word of mouth is for that con. SDCC has a great reach, but you need to be at a big hall, during the day to attract a good attendance for your panel. 7pm... Most every one is at the Gas Lamp getting drunk already.

But there's no con on the face of the earth that can turn the tides on that funding project... Sadly enough.

Oh popcorn where art though.

Extra butter & salt!

post-6180-0-53094200-1406870353.jpg

This amount of popcorn is making me very thirsty. Be kind and pass a soda around too...

It seems HG has finally smelled the coffee and given up on reaching the kickstarter goal. I always thought they aimed too high, half a million bucks for a production team so devoid of original ideas just wasn’t going to happen.

The bad thing is that it seems that they’re just going to continue with their business as usual. Same old convention tours and releases of material that’s been out before many times. It must really suck to be a hardcore RT fan. I really feel for them. There’s nothing to look forward too.

Wasn't Kevin the one who snarked at people who asked where the money was going, when decent RT fans had concerns? I think he basically compared some campaigns and mentioned how they didn't say where all their funds were going. Yet, I point to this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar?ref=discovery Seems like a production that spells everything out properly and with well defined goals... AND........ the fans believe in it.

I haven't been on their KS comments page in forever, but I was reading it yesterday and found it interesting that it's all about rights and more useless myths going on.

MechaCon may have a direct focus on mecha anime, but that also means that a greater percentage of the smaller total number of attendees are going to be aware of Harmony Gold's abuse of Macross and treatment of other mecha franchises like MechWarrior.

This is a dry well they're trying to get water from.

Wasn't Kevin the one who snarked at people who asked where the money was going, when decent RT fans had concerns? I think he basically compared some campaigns and mentioned how they didn't say where all their funds were going.

Yep... though it seems to be Kevin's idea of good PR to snark at anyone who questions anything. He's so used to fans just meekly accepting whatever he has to say that being challenged on it must've come as a real shock.

Lazy design is lazy

Lazy design may be lazier than we think... there's a Robotech fan art group that had designed something very similar (albeit with none of the exterior kibble on the first version we saw) a while before this Kickstarter started, who are now somewhat amused at Harmony Gold having apparently copied their idea without even bothering to credit them.

Guys... i really think it's our fault the Robotech Academy Kickstarter failed.

that's according to the kickstarter and rt.com page...

i, a Macross World member, take full credit for the cause of the failure of RT academy and in no way shape or form blame HG or it's staff in anyway,

signed,

Youran Elohssa

I would kill to have the kind of influence and power the more deluded Robotech fans think we have. But since we don't and never will, I'll have to be content as the scapegoat for the mentally unstable. By his noodly appendage! :)

Our fan art section has produced superior work. Shameful.

It's good to know all that time we put in conspiring with other anime websites to keep Robotech down was worth the effort. Had this KS succeeded we may have been forced to acknowledge the superiority of the Robotech IP over Macross's.

At this point, HG really has to recognize how generally disliked (to put it mildly) they are. I don't think they can move forward successfully without doing so. Unless they're perfectly happy just trudging along, they have to face their PR problems head on. And their PR guy is mainly there as a shield from all the crap being hurled at them and take responsibility for all the things they've said but have to walk away from.

What I'm wondering now is will Robotech Academy become another unseen chapter in the Robotech continuity? I've never seen a franchise build an extended universe just on unreleased and unrealized materials. They can just keep releasing concepts and sell toys based on log lines and scriptments. Who's up for an MPC Drone Veritech? Shapeways replacement parts sold separately. Not intended for kids under 35. Similarities to other toys is purely coincidental and not intended. Join us on our new Facebook page, Robotech: Alumni, based on Carl Macek's second to last project at Harmony Gold. Please make this dream become a reality. Not like the last one you bunch of ungrateful fans. You killed that last one. You should all be ashamed!

I would kill to have the kind of influence and power the more deluded Robotech fans think we have. But since we don't and never will, I'll have to be content as the scapegoat for the mentally unstable. By his noodly appendage! :)

It's surprisingly easy to get used to... I'm even shopping around for a volcano doom fortress to complete their mental image of us.

Our fan art section has produced superior work. Shameful.

To be fair, that's true for pretty much every "original" Robotech production... this is simply a new low point in their already dismal production art history. The CG in Shadow Chronicles was horrifically amateurish, from the way they forgot to antialias all of their textures so every fighter and ship was surrounded by a semitransparent haze of white pixels from the Photoshop background, or the way they tried to cheat on animation costs by only drawing half the texture and then copying the layer and hitting "flip vertical", resulting in backwards text on one side of every "Alpha" fighter.

Before that, their best effort was the SDF-3 Pioneer from Robotech II: the Sentinels... which even Robotech fans refer to as "the red deuce".

I think HG is well aware of their issues within their own fanbase. Even Kevin admitted that Macross fans really had very little to do with the large amount of negativity that has arisen around this KS, and it's failure was not our (Macross fans) doing.

At this point, HG really has to recognize how generally disliked (to put it mildly) they are. I don't think they can move forward successfully without doing so.

That would mean they would have to admit some things. And that would mean someone would need to consider looking for a new job. Externally (i.e., to the public) that looks bad. And PR is about looking good, even when things look bad.

Guest davidwhangchoi

"No matter how many times we get kicked in the face and mistreated we're going to keep pressing on."

meanwhile people who are upset "BANNED!"

how come tommy... "BANNED!"

How come you start something and don't finish...

ignore, ignore

then come back and answer like two questions out of 200 and say we're always ready to be upstanding and answer all our critics.

dodge... more

spin. "Look this is our upcoming schedule... points to day to day, hour by hour.... looking to keep busy..."

and the Dvd's are coming...

Robotech is going full steam ahead...

Ban! Ignore! Ignore! Dodge! Spin!

they should come out with a game called "Bop It!" HG Edition

20090410_psp_bop_it_extreme_v1.0_(psp_ga

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think HG is well aware of their issues within their own fanbase. Even Kevin admitted that Macross fans really had very little to do with the large amount of negativity that has arisen around this KS, and it's failure was not our (Macross fans) doing.

Nah, the general tone of his post was more "it's their fault, but be the bigger man and don't hassle them for it".

Still, if Harmony Gold was going to admit fault here, that'd complete the parallel to Robotech 3000... a heavily CG project where the fans hated the whole concept and rebelled against it so vocally that the project was canned and Harmony Gold had to admit that the fault lay with them for a terrible idea being terribly executed.

If Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was Tommy's Sentinels (a "movie" that was really an aborted project) then I guess that would make Robotech Academy Tommy's Robotech 3000. Now if only Frank would repeat what HG did after 3000 went under and fire the lot of them...

"No matter how many times we get kicked in the face and mistreated we're going to keep pressing on."

spin. "Look this is our upcoming schedule... points to day to day, hour by hour.... looking to keep busy..."

and the Dvd's are coming...

Robotech is going full steam ahead...

I love the replies from the fans... it seems that the only one he's fooling is himself, and that's only a maybe.

There's gonna be a lot of recrimination next year when they'll have effectively gone for eight years without releasing anything of consequence. The 30th Anniversary's gonna be an even bigger letdown than the 25th was for them.

I don't think we ever really damaged HG's chances of success in any of their endeavors. The only thing that Macross World has done, is made RT fans aware of how different/better the original work is, thereby organically creating demand for the original.

Nah, the general tone of his post was more "it's their fault, but be the bigger man and don't hassle them for it".

The hostility you are seeing has been generated by other factors that have nothing to do with MW and their members.

Nah, Seto, that wasn't what he was saying.

To be fair, that's true for pretty much every "original" Robotech production... this is simply a new low point in their already dismal production art history. The CG in Shadow Chronicles was horrifically amateurish, from the way they forgot to antialias all of their textures so every fighter and ship was surrounded by a semitransparent haze of white pixels from the Photoshop background, or the way they tried to cheat on animation costs by only drawing half the texture and then copying the layer and hitting "flip vertical", resulting in backwards text on one side of every "Alpha" fighter.

I do wonder about Duke's question a while back, in which he asked what other franchise is like this (or perhaps it was fan base). From a non-fan outsider like myself, the Robotech franchise seems to come up like a bad infection with these festering failed projects again and again. It's so bizarre. If Harmony Gold wasn't a larger company and didn't have a revenue stream that supports Robotech then this absurdity couldn't be perpetuated. But I guess this status quo of non-entertainment will continue as it has for...what? 20+ years now? Dear gawd...

That's a surprising level of maturity I didn't expect. But I am upset that this honesty and pragmatism from Harmony Gold may undermine the hard work we've all done worldwide for the last 50 years to create this perception of a massive Macross conspiracy theory against Robotech. The last thing I want to see is people acting intelligently and taking responsibility for the products they buy. I invested a lot of money in moustache wax and I want to twirl mine as I laugh maniacally for many years yet to come :)

The hostility you are seeing has been generated by other factors that have nothing to do with MW and their members.

Nah, Seto, that wasn't what he was saying.

I think we might be looking at different posts then:

No matter what happens with the Kickstarter Robotech fans should take the high road and not lash out at our critics. Yes, our critics will say really nasty things about Harmony Gold, Robotech and you, the fans.

That was in response to general complaints about how Macross fans supposedly ruined this with their negativity and how mad it's making this one poster that some unspecified individual somewhere is gloating about it.

There's gonna be a lot of recrimination next year when they'll have effectively gone for eight years without releasing anything of consequence. The 30th Anniversary's gonna be an even bigger letdown than the 25th was for them.

Of course they'll do something. They'll release another boxset of DVDs.

Regarding the KS comments page, they seem to be talking mostly about the licensing issues, and incorrectly at that. And they're still talking about it????

Of course they'll do something. They'll release another boxset of DVDs.

Regarding the KS comments page, they seem to be talking mostly about the licensing issues, and incorrectly at that. And they're still talking about it????

Yep... because that's all they have left to talk about now that failure is a forgone conclusion. The die-hard fanatics will say that all the fuss about the Macross licensing obstruction on Harmony Gold's part is unjustified because Harmony Gold made X misleading remark, and the sensible folks will shake their heads and try to correct the trollish fanatics. No surprise Treiz is one of the worst offenders here.

Can't tell me there isn't someone here who contributed who can enlighten them on the legal facts surrounding the whole Macrosa deal.

I'm not sure if it's someone here, but someone DID post the facts... the problem is that certain Robotech fans have been misled fairly consistently by Harmony Gold and volunteer idiots like MEMO about the licensing situation, and don't want to accept those simple realities.

It's not a question of enlightening them with the facts, it's a question of wielding a blade sharp enough to cut through a decade's worth of accumulated denial and the misleading remarks and outright lies put forward by Harmony Gold.

I did consider registering and pledging just to reply to this nonsense but really what's the point? If they're unable to grasp the facts backed up by reality what difference is a post on a board going to make? Even hg's own stament about the macross rights on that KS page is false. They keep saying "outside japan" when it's very clear they mean "outside asia"

I've always sort of wondered if the live action movie thing didn't fall through because WB found out they couldn't use the Macross designs the movie would inevitably depend on to drive mecha fan interest in the movie. Sure, you would think that they did their due diligence before signing any contracts, but the movie industry is filled with decades of stories where productions imploded because of legal problems that weren't adequately researched or covered ahead of time.

I have to imagine when Tobey Maguire first went after the Robotech property he had visions of Valkyries and the SDF-1 dancing in his head.

I'm curious about the whole Macross designs thing.

Really, they could modify the existing Macross stuff just enough to pass legal and call it a day. It's not like companies don't try for the "minimum required by legal" route on a regular basis so I'm failing to see why it wouldn't be done here. If WB is stalling, they've hopefully got better reasons than that.

Really, though, companies buy rights to movies all the time. Hell, Azimov's Foundation movie rights were sold some time ago and I doubt anything will be done with it. It's just a regular thing in Hollywood.

I did consider registering and pledging just to reply to this nonsense but really what's the point? If they're unable to grasp the facts backed up by reality what difference is a post on a board going to make? Even hg's own stament about the macross rights on that KS page is false. They keep saying "outside japan" when it's very clear they mean "outside asia"

If it were me I'd post the link to our Macroaa licensing thread to the KS and let them read. This Triez clown has no clue what he's talking about.

It's not just about changing the mechanical design juuuust enough to avoid getting sued they have to steer clear of the whole story. Admittedly disney and pixar have been very successful at ripping off characters and stories and getting away with it so perhaps it wouldn't be as hard as I think.

If it were me I'd post the link to our Macroaa licensing thread to the KS and let them read. This Triez clown has no clue what he's talking about.

These are people who can't grasp reality right in front of their face. They're sure as hell not going to trust anything hosted on a macross site.

No, I've got a lot of experience dealing with Treiz... you'd be wasting your time. Even if you stuck the facts in front of him, as plain and simple as anyone could wish, he'd still deny them and continue living in his little fantasy world.

At least his asinine behavior isn't limited to Robotech... he pisses the Star Wars fans right the hell off too.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Not for his sake; for others. Not everyone contributing is knee deep in Robotech.

Someone already ran through the facts there in a fairly concise and logical way... the problem is the idjuts don't listen.