The computer and electronics super geek superthread...

EXO

After much deliberating and hours of heated debate between me and Hurin that went like this:

EXO: What's your opinion on discussions about computers on MW?

Hurin: don't care...

We decided that we should start on thread about people getting help, opinions, or just get their LOLs on with their egghead brethren. Any questions about systems, games consoles, display screens, electronic devices, ipods, cell phones, mods, or whatever fogs your 1 inch thick glasses, just post it here...

Have fun but don't forget to get out of your mom's basement sometimes...

BTW: it'll be the day when Hurin only type's 2 words, it would take him 3 paragraphs just to explain that's it's not really 2 words but the conjunction of 3 different words. I'm sure you'll see him a lot on this thread.

We'll still have our seperate threads about video games and consoles that deserve their own thread.

Cool, a thread about screwing-up PCs.

custom paint jobs and cutting cases with a Dremel.

anybody dealt with the black light reactive acrylic cases? I've got one that i haven't messed with yet.

I was going to throw a standard size ATX board into it but lately I've had a thing for SFF cases and thought

about chopping this down for that. I dont really want to use a Micro board b/c of the lack of features though.

Either I'll cut this up or just get sheets of acrylic and working from there. Any MB recommendations about a MB

would be helpful - I'm not looking to go the dual video card route.

My copy of Vista is on it's way, anyone know if it's any good?

I've read the magazines and stuff, but I know there's some REAL professionals around here so I'd rather get your opinions.

There really is no compelling technical reason to upgrade. But, of course, the geek in me wants to do so. The only thing holding me back is that the 8800 nvidia drivers for Vista are terrible right now.

I'm usually one to jump on new things (hence my two 8800gtxes which broke my bank account) and suffer the complications with a smile. So, I roll my eyes whenever I hear someone say: "Wait six months for the patches". . . etc. But in this particular case, it seems warranted.

If I were buying a pre-built computer, I'd have Vista put on it. But a custom-built one or an existing one. . . there's still nothing wrong with XP. Indeed, aside form eye-candy, there's nothing Vista can do that XP can't do (that you'd actually want).

H

There really is no compelling technical reason to upgrade. But, of course, the geek in me wants to do so. The only thing holding me back is that the 8800 nvidia drivers for Vista are terrible right now.

I'm usually one to jump on new things (hence my two 8800gtxes which broke my bank account) and suffer the complications with a smile. So, I roll my eyes whenever I hear someone say: "Wait six months for the patches". . . etc. But in this particular case, it seems warranted.

If I were buying a pre-built computer, I'd have Vista put on it. But a custom-built one or an existing one. . . there's still nothing wrong with XP. Indeed, aside form eye-candy, there's nothing Vista can do that XP can't do (that you'd actually want).

H

I actually heard a lot of driver and compatibility issues with Vista that weren't caught. Adobe 6.0 and up have major issues with Vista and several other commonly used programs are showing compatibility issues, but MS is suppose to release a patch for them in about a month or so. I'm pretty much with Hurin, my current machine is keeping XP Pro; I'm building a machine in the near future which will adopt Vista, but it's not on my priority list right now.

As with anything Microsoft, specially their Operating Systems, my advice would be to hold off upgrading until they're up to service pack 2 or higher before taking the plunge. And it's always better to do a fresh install, or waiting until you need a new PC to get the new OS, rather than going the upgrade route... fewer headaches that way.

Edited by mechaninac

I agree with that. If you are getting Vista with a new machine, I'd just keep it there. The driver issues is just one of the things holding me back. Personally, I'm staying clear of Vista until SP1.

I have an AMD Turion 64X2 laptop, with an Nvidia 6150 card and 2 Gigs of memory, it should run Vista without any problems. I'm getting the copy of Vista for free because I bought the computer late last year. I'd be a fool to pass up on a 200 euro piece of software that I can get for free.

XP media edition runs very smoothly on the system so, at the moment, there is no real reason for me to install Vista, but I'm such a sucker for new technology, software and gadgets!

Of course there is absolutely no mention on the Nvidia site of troubles with running Vista using my graphics card, they even say it was developed with Vista in mind.

I bought Gothic 3. It has proven to be the most difficult game to get running I have ever had. In 18 or so years of using computers. Ah, I feel better after saying that.

RE compatibility issues with Vista, Australia copped it bad. I read that Vista users can't connect to the biggest ISP in the country and the problem won't be fixed until the middle of the year, haha. what a screw up.

Vista? Yeah, I'll probably try that in about 5 years or so. Heck, I only just ugraded from Win98 to XP a year and a half ago......LOL! :D

I'm definitely not one to jump on new things computer related. My motto. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Graham

I am running the Vista RC2 build and will wait till that runs out. I am not happy that my favorite firewall program does not work. Other than that is runs smooth on my system. It was nice to try out media center with my Xbox 360 since I did not have the XP version. It a memory hog. I have 2.5 GB of RAM in my system now and it runs better than when I only had 1 GB. It is really no rush to get it. But you know when I do get it I am getting the Ultimate Edition. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen a real to upgrade to Vista yet. for home use XP works just fine. However I think i read that in order to take advantage of Xbox 360 future features you had to have Vista. That might have been in Game Informer magazine. Either way the multiple versions available and the number of Patches that'll be coming out to fix what ever security flaws pop out make this a tough sell, that and the fact that it was incomplete when it went on the market.

I will probably never go Vista. The paranoic overinforcement of the DRM embbeded into the OS and all the consecuences (disability of, I don't know, EVERYTHING the OS doesn't like; and even if it likes it, it will disable it just in case) doesn't cut it for me.

Read this (not so little) gem A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection - that's not cost in "how much will it cost" but rather "it cost me a lot drop those last 200 pounds". Everything that's bad with Vista right now.

Anyway, it gives me an official excuse to try Linux :D

Of course, if you have Vista, and you can refute what they say there, do it, please.

Dude, it's an operating system. It'll friggin' play your games, run your programs, and ask for passwords for protected content. No need to get so worked up. :lol:

I actually heard a lot of driver and compatibility issues with Vista that weren't caught. Adobe 6.0 and up have major issues with Vista and several other commonly used programs are showing compatibility issues, but MS is suppose to release a patch for them in about a month or so. I'm pretty much with Hurin, my current machine is keeping XP Pro; I'm building a machine in the near future which will adopt Vista, but it's not on my priority list right now.

A lot of things don't work with Vista. Includes some programs, Avg Free, Nero, PowerDVD....just a few examples.

I heard that there is a planned class action with NVidia soon, apparently they say that their products are Vista Ready, but obviously, they aren't with the drivers that they are currently releasing.

Edited by kensei

Work just got me a Dell XPS 410 with Vista Home Premium on it. I haven't bothered to set it up yet, it's all sitting in boxes in my house. It'll probably sit there till I get home this weekend. No need to set it up or anything since the Accident Reconstruction Software hasn't even been paid for yet. The city will spend close to $2000 each to get three computers for us accident techs, but they are balking at spending $8000 for the software and total station. It's all grant money, c'mon. I'm tired of drawing accidents and doing the math by hand.

And I asked for notebooks. How are we supposed to lug desktops around to accident scenes?????? morons...i'll have to break my notebook and use the best buy warranty to get a newer run just to run the accident software.

I'll try Vista out this weekend hopefully.

I don't know if they got a good computer or not, but it comes with vista installed.

it's got 2gb ram, 500 gb HD, 2.4ghz Duo Core, Geforce 7900GS, 20" widescreen LCD, hopefully it'll run Vista and the Accident Software.

I know my laser printer will work with Vista, I downloaded the drivers last week, but my color all-in-one is pending.

The Dell will probably sit in the basement until SP1 comes out. :lol:

This is something for you Core Duo owners.

Let me know if you experience an increase in performance. I've done it to my Tablet PC (Intel Core Duo 2 - 2.0 GHz).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I really am quite interested if this actually benefits anyone.

Edited by kensei

The city will spend close to $2000 each to get three computers for us accident techs, but they are balking at spending $8000 for the software and total station. It's all grant money, c'mon. I'm tired of drawing accidents and doing the math by hand.

So, what total station do you use? Reason I'm interested is, I used to be a surveyor.

Whaaat? a Total Station has a computer in it too you know, so it's a legit quesion for this thread right? ^_^

Work just got me a Dell XPS 410 with Vista Home Premium on it. I haven't bothered to set it up yet, it's all sitting in boxes in my house. It'll probably sit there till I get home this weekend. No need to set it up or anything since the Accident Reconstruction Software hasn't even been paid for yet. The city will spend close to $2000 each to get three computers for us accident techs, but they are balking at spending $8000 for the software and total station. It's all grant money, c'mon. I'm tired of drawing accidents and doing the math by hand.

And I asked for notebooks. How are we supposed to lug desktops around to accident scenes?????? morons...i'll have to break my notebook and use the best buy warranty to get a newer run just to run the accident software.

dude, I recommend a Tablet PC for you. Something like a Toshiba M7 or M400, or even a Lenovo or Asus R1F. You will not go back.

I have a Tecra M7 myself and it is awesome for doing patient interviews. I will never go back to a conventional laptop or PC again!

Edited by kensei

Looking for a bit of help on two things:

First off, sometimes my computer will reboot itself when using the eject button on my DVD burner. Now, while it's nice having a reboot button that high on my case, it's sorta annoying when installing multidisk programs. Now, it DOESN'T reboot if I eject through My Computer. It's really quite random actually. I've replaced the powersupply (because I'm planning on doing some major upgrades soon) and that didn't fix anything. So, my opinion is that it's either an OS glitch or my burner is screwy. Any opinions?

Secondly, I'm looking for a new motherboard. Something that can handle a dual core AMD chip (recommendations?) BUT also run both DDR and DDR2 RAM (or just DDR). I have 2 gigs of DDR and I'd rather just carry that over to the new rig instead of dropping that much money on DDR2 RAM.

Thanks for the help guys.

So, what total station do you use? Reason I'm interested is, I used to be a surveyor.

Whaaat? a Total Station has a computer in it too you know, so it's a legit quesion for this thread right? ^_^

:)

They are supposed to get this one for me since it's the one commonly in use around my area. We're trying to be like everyone else, this way, if something happens, we can borrow someone else's equipment and won't have to learn anything different.

Sokkia 630 R

This is something for you Core Duo owners.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

AMD has their own fix for dual-core setups:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_13118,00.html

I have a Core 2 Macbook so I may try that MS download and see if I get any improvement out of it (I dual boot on my Mac. :) )

dude, I recommend a Tablet PC for you. Something like a Toshiba M7 or M400, or even a Lenovo or Asus R1F. You will not go back.

A Tablet PC would be a good idea if you need a laptop on the field. I've played with a few and they are definitely worth it.

First off, sometimes my computer will reboot itself when using the eject button on my DVD burner. Now, while it's nice having a reboot button that high on my case, it's sorta annoying when installing multidisk programs. Now, it DOESN'T reboot if I eject through My Computer. It's really quite random actually. I've replaced the powersupply (because I'm planning on doing some major upgrades soon) and that didn't fix anything. So, my opinion is that it's either an OS glitch or my burner is screwy. Any opinions?

Secondly, I'm looking for a new motherboard. Something that can handle a dual core AMD chip (recommendations?) BUT also run both DDR and DDR2 RAM (or just DDR). I have 2 gigs of DDR and I'd rather just carry that over to the new rig instead of dropping that much money on DDR2 RAM.

1) Try a different disc drive. Try that problematic disc drive on another computer.

2) DDR and DDR2 are not compatible with each other so you will not find boards that have both DDR and DDR2 slots. What CPU are you planning on getting?

Read this (not so little) gem A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection - that's not cost in "how much will it cost" but rather "it cost me a lot drop those last 200 pounds". Everything that's bad with Vista right now.

Holy Crap!!! I can't believe what I just read. And the worst thing is M$ and the movie companies are going to get away with it. :angry:

1) Try a different disc drive. Try that problematic disc drive on another computer.

2) DDR and DDR2 are not compatible with each other so you will not find boards that have both DDR and DDR2 slots. What CPU are you planning on getting?

1) I would, but I don't have another working machine to test it on. My dad accidently plugged the family computer into a 220 outlet... needless to say, that computer is smoked. I may just pick up a new burner.

2) that was sorta wishful thinking on my part ^_^ I remember having an older mobo that had SDRAM and DDR sockets independant of each other. I was hoping there was a motherboard out there that had a similar set up with DDR and DDR2 slots so I could swap out if I ever decided to. I'm currently planning on getting an Athlon X2 4200+. I'm an AMD junkie, but if there's an Intel compatible motherboard out there that handles dual core AND DDR RAM, I'll gladly switch if the price is around what I was going to spend on the AMD.

If you're sticking with DDR over DDR2, then you'll need to use the older socket 939 over AM2. And in that case. . . I could not have been happier with my Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. It was, without a doubt, the best motherboard I ever owned.

Linkage

If you're sticking with DDR over DDR2, then you'll need to use the older socket 939 over AM2. And in that case. . . I could not have been happier with my Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. It was, without a doubt, the best motherboard I ever owned.

Linkage

SWEET! Thanks! Now to find a socket 939 X2... New Egg is fresh out >_<

Edited by Zeta Otaku

i was wondering what software dvd players fellow MWers use...

i've used PowerDVD for years and haven't had any problems till recently when i tried playing some older adv dvds with it...any suggestions on alternatives?

i've used PowerDVD for years and haven't had any problems till recently when i tried playing some older adv dvds with it...any suggestions on alternatives?

I actually Media Player Classic. No problems whatsoever.

I've never been happy with DVDs on computers. For me, DVDs should always be enjoyed on the couch. Hence my efforts to not only re-subtitle DYRL, but to get it onto standard format DVDs that can be played on our "table top" DVD players (see sig).

Having said that, I use the nvidia (hardware accelerated) DVD Decoder and plain ol' Media Player when I must watch a DVD on my computer. Simple, but very effective. :) There are a lot of powerful options with the nvidia decoder for deinterlacing, etc. Though, none that can save the terribly mastered Region 2 DYRL DVD! :o

PowerDVD and Intervideo have always been big names and I've never had any problem with them. Though, I'm not sure how well they integrate with the nvidia decoder. So if you will have an nvidia video card, check that out before choosing one. Otherwise, you'll forego any of the beneifts of nvidia hardware accelerated DVD playback (which may not actually matter to you).

I have used PowerDVD, Nero Show time, Media Player Classic, Media Player 11 and Sonic DVD Player.

SWEET! Thanks! Now to find a socket 939 X2... New Egg is fresh out >_<

Socket 939 is being phased out, unfortunately. You may wish to try other vendors. Tiger Direct has some 939 boards in stock. You may wish to try them.