Official Macross posters

TheLoneWolf

I was able to find the Super Dimension poster with characters and mecha from all three series. Sorry, I took the images with my camera so the images aren't so clear and a little shaky. Due to the print on it (especially the silver) I had to take all pictures without flash.

To recap:

It features a watercolor of Minmay (in her Do You Remember costume), Mimsy (Orguss) in the center, and Jeanne (Southern Cross) squatting and pointing to the left. In the background, printed in metallic silver ink, are the heads of the VF-1S, the Orguss, and Jeanne's armor. It's signed by "Hal" near Jeanne's helmet and Copyright Big West in the bottom right hand corner.

Printed on heavier stock paper, and was purchased around 1991 after the Southern Cross LD set came out. Originally I said 1993, but I was mistaken and now remember it had to be before Macross II, since I was so excited there was a new Macross item to purchase. I'm guessing it was a promo poster released by Pioneer to commemorate the final Super Dimension LD release. Bandai Visual released the Macross LD set in 1989, but Pioneer released both Orguss and Southern Cross. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about it, neither on Japanese or English websites. It's the same size as most other posters (like the CD and LD posters).

I bought it from Mikado in SF Japantown for $10. I'm a pretty good judge about Mikimoto illustrations and it definitely reflects his style at the time (especially against the Orguss LD Box pics, it matches his style). I'm almost 99.99% it's not a fake, since the Mikado video store imported a lot of LDs and CDs from Japan (and resold promo posters that were freebies in Japan for $10). Unfortunately, this past year, they closed most of their stores in Japantown and I'll always have found memories of staring at Macross toys in their windows circa 1984 and seeing Macross the Movie footage there for the first time then too...

post-6322-1233105214_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1233105224_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1233105239_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1233105250_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1233105269_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1233105275_thumb.jpg

I was able to find the Super Dimension poster with characters and mecha from all three series.

Lynn, thats an AMAZING poster and I can't believe I have never seen one of those before! Definately a super-rarity!

Thanks for sharing and now I have to find one for myself :)

Does your brother still have his?

Lynn, thats an AMAZING poster and I can't believe I have never seen one of those before! Definately a super-rarity!

Thanks for sharing and now I have to find one for myself :)

Does your brother still have his?

Actually, mine used to hang up in my room (with some tape marks on the back), but my brother's is the mint one. He actually has a ton of Macross posters (many of the ones already posted). Ones that haven't been, but I'm sure we'll see soon, are the Macross 7 broadcast poster with the Fire Valkyrie, Mac 7 LD poster with the cast, Mac 7 Encore poster (by Mikimoto), and Macross II poster with Hibiki and Ishtar in the snow (I'm guessing this was the first soundtrack's bonus).

Quick question. Does anyone know where to get a poster file/folder or something to display posters that aren't frames? I remember Anime Jungle in Little Tokyo and Mandarake in Torrance (now long gone) used to sell them, but I'm not sure if there's anything else available. Doesn't seem big in the American market.

There is a place at the local anime conventions that usually has the poster books for sale. I work right by anime jungle, and haven't seen anything there, or anywhere around that area. There may be places like art shops that carry them. Maybe Aaron Bros.??? If not any of those places, there's always online.

Totoro242, how about starting a seperate thread for the calendars? They're different enough from posters to warrant their own thread, plus the Collectors forum could definitely use some more threads.

Sure, probably a good idea considering how many poster calendars there are :)

There is a place at the local anime conventions that usually has the poster books for sale. I work right by anime jungle, and haven't seen anything there, or anywhere around that area. There may be places like art shops that carry them. Maybe Aaron Bros.??? If not any of those places, there's always online.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I've only been to one anime convention in my life and it wasn't to my liking. Anime Jungle used to sell the poster files way back in 2000 or 2001, but of course when I went back in 2005 or so, they only have ones they used to display for sale posters. I remember them being $75 at the time, which was a bargain considering how much it would cost to ship one from Japan.

I've tried a few art shops (including the Aaron Bros near my house), but they have no idea what I'm talking about. Also, I've looked online using terms like "poster file" or "poster folder," without any luck.

What does everyone else use? It'd be nice to display some of the posters I have in non-frames, instead of having to go through tube rolls just to look at them.

I was able to find the Super Dimension poster with characters and mecha from all three series. Sorry, I took the images with my camera so the images aren't so clear and a little shaky. Due to the print on it (especially the silver) I had to take all pictures without flash.

To recap:

It features a watercolor of Minmay (in her Do You Remember costume), Mimsy (Orguss) in the center, and Jeanne (Southern Cross) squatting and pointing to the left. In the background, printed in metallic silver ink, are the heads of the VF-1S, the Orguss, and Jeanne's armor. It's signed by "Hal" near Jeanne's helmet and Copyright Big West in the bottom right hand corner.

Printed on heavier stock paper, and was purchased around 1991 after the Southern Cross LD set came out. Originally I said 1993, but I was mistaken and now remember it had to be before Macross II, since I was so excited there was a new Macross item to purchase. I'm guessing it was a promo poster released by Pioneer to commemorate the final Super Dimension LD release. Bandai Visual released the Macross LD set in 1989, but Pioneer released both Orguss and Southern Cross. Unfortunately, I can't find any information about it, neither on Japanese or English websites. It's the same size as most other posters (like the CD and LD posters).

I bought it from Mikado in SF Japantown for $10. I'm a pretty good judge about Mikimoto illustrations and it definitely reflects his style at the time (especially against the Orguss LD Box pics, it matches his style). I'm almost 99.99% it's not a fake, since the Mikado video store imported a lot of LDs and CDs from Japan (and resold promo posters that were freebies in Japan for $10). Unfortunately, this past year, they closed most of their stores in Japantown and I'll always have found memories of staring at Macross toys in their windows circa 1984 and seeing Macross the Movie footage there for the first time then too...

oh nice! I remember seeing that poster when Solscud007 bought one at AX06 I believe. Next time I'ma search through all the posters I see at AX! ^_^

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I've only been to one anime convention in my life and it wasn't to my liking. Anime Jungle used to sell the poster files way back in 2000 or 2001, but of course when I went back in 2005 or so, they only have ones they used to display for sale posters. I remember them being $75 at the time, which was a bargain considering how much it would cost to ship one from Japan.

I've tried a few art shops (including the Aaron Bros near my house), but they have no idea what I'm talking about. Also, I've looked online using terms like "poster file" or "poster folder," without any luck.

What does everyone else use? It'd be nice to display some of the posters I have in non-frames, instead of having to go through tube rolls just to look at them.

Tubes or frames for me :(

I also tried to track down one of these poster files, but to no avail. The only other thing I found were these:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.a...duct_id=app2430

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.a...duct_id=app2943

But the price....

For those with large poster collections, do you guys have a website to buy the poster archive books? I found this http://www.cutting-mats.net/archival-print...ctors-5899.html, but not sure if this is exactly what I'm looking for. I bought one poster archive book years ago, and a couple smaller ones years ago at AX06 or 07 (not sure), but now need more. Any help would be great. Thanks. :)

Edited by Jasonc

Pictures for you. The back of each page has assorted (character) line art, as the first page mentions ("Establish Materials").

Awesome........

Now I have to find one of these. Never even seen it before or if I did, I had no idea what it was :p

I'm going to start a new thread for further calendar discussion.

Edited by Totoro242

Tubes or frames for me :(

I also tried to track down one of these poster files, but to no avail. The only other thing I found were these:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.a...duct_id=app2430

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.a...duct_id=app2943

But the price....

Thanks for the suggestions. Since the prices are pretty high, I guess for now all my posters will need to live in tubes. :<

• 2 weeks later...
20th Anniversary (I think)

dsc0203mf8.jpg

Always loved this version of Mikimoto's Minmay!! B))

Custom printed posters (I made these)

Blue tinted Perfect Memory poster

dsc0207oc6.jpg

Always loved this version of the poster!

Too bad you didn't make more.... :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How hard is it to find the original DYRL film poster these days?

I just found one on E-Bay for $28.00, but it isn't in the greatest shape.

Nevertheless, I'm pretty happy to finally have one. :D

That should be about right. Some DYRL posters are more expensive due to the rarity. For example, the SDF-1 space poster has been re-issued twice so its value isnt as high. The Hikaru and Minmay poster is fairly common, so it only go for a little more. The Minmay poster is really rare and will run you $75 - $100.

Thanks for the reply Totoro.

BTW. Does anyone know what are the EXACT dimensions of the Hikaru/Misa DYRL poster?

The auction listing (much like the Macross L.C. poster) said it was an estimated 28x20. When it actually turned out to be 28.5x20.4.

Anyways. I have another 40% off coupon at Michael's that I need to use by the 4th....I need to know if I'll need another 30x24 frame.

I'm trying to figure out where I got the dimensions I listed on the launch thread, but B2 is 515x728 mm or about 20.3x28.7 in, with tolerances of about 2 mm. The inch values are rounded, as the standard uses mm as its base unit. (Wikipedia)

Ah, here's another list with paper sizes, which lists the slightly smaller dimensions I listed in Save's Launch Ceremony poster thread. Go with the "JIS B Sizes" with an expectation of about 2 mm in tolerance as stated on the Wikipedia page.

Edited by veffidas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was looking through these posts, and realized that what I have has already been shown, but here they are.

conventionposters001.jpg

conventionposters002.jpg

conventionposters003.jpg

I really like the 2nd one...Apparently, this is Mikimoto's only rendition of "Dana" (yes, the Robotech name, but I can't think of her original name). That poster is just amazing. And minty clean. Got it for $35 at AX 2009