Macross PS2 Game

Chicago

i heard about a new macross game for ps2, is that truth???

:unsure:

There's a new Robotech game called Robotech:Invasion

Is this the one you are referring to? I think it's on PS2 and XBOX

Other then that I don't know of any macross game

Assumedly, he's speaking of the Japanese Macross game that came out last year.

• 5 weeks later...
I mean, have ANY macross games made it to the states? Ones that you've seen in stores, anyway?

We got close one time. There was this ancient system way back in the early 90's called Turbo Duo (the big brother of Turbo Grafx) that was call PC Engine in Japan. A game called Macross 2036 was only release in Japan but could be played on the US Duo without any need for modifications. That's about as close as we got though.

I mean, have ANY macross games made it to the states? Ones that you've seen in stores, anyway?

We got close one time. There was this ancient system way back in the early 90's called Turbo Duo (the big brother of Turbo Grafx) that was call PC Engine in Japan. A game called Macross 2036 was only release in Japan but could be played on the US Duo without any need for modifications. That's about as close as we got though.

wow, brought back a month old thread to answer a 8 month old question! :blink:

There's also VF-X2, which got an actual localization effort and an english demo. Release was canned at the last minute.

And the TurboDuo was calle the PCEngine Duo in Japan. PCEngine = TurboGrafx 16(only smaller, and with a lot more variants).

Duo was a TG16/PCE+CD-ROM expansion+extra RAM, all in one box. Duo R = a smaller version of the same thing.

And calling a PCE ancient strikes me as ... wrong.

Edited by JB0

Hey now, I was calling the Duo ancient, since it basically died a long time ago due to a severe lack of marketing. The Turbo Grafx system was the best thing out in it's time. It had so much potential but you hardly ever seen an add for it or a commerical. I still have my TG-16, Turbo Express and a Duo, but I need to buy a power supply to enjoy it again...

I know the PCE is still rocking in Japan, so I wasn't dissin' the PCE.

Hey now, I was calling the Duo ancient, since it basically died a long time ago due to a severe lack of marketing. The Turbo Grafx system was the best thing out in it's time. It had so much potential but you hardly ever seen an add for it or a commerical. I still have my TG-16, Turbo Express and a Duo, but I need to buy a power supply to enjoy it again...

I know the PCE is still rocking in Japan, so I wasn't dissin' the PCE.

Sorry. I consider ancient the 1st-era hardware. Atari, Mattel, Coleco, that generation.

And as the Duo was a US AND Japanese system.

BTW, the PCEngine is dead in Japan. It was followed with the SuperGrafx, which was pathetic, and the PC-FX, which was too little too late. Then it was retired. If I recall, NEC recently sold off their last game development facilities.

Thriving used game markets don't count. :p

I just recently got this wonderpeice of macross goodness, but i wonder,what is the complete controls for this game, For instance, i know you can execute a roll in battroid mode, and a barrel roll ni both fighter and gerwalk, but i havent figured out how. so if anyone can help here. id be much apreicated.

I posted links to a couple places that have pointers upthread.

But if there's sufficient demand, maybe I'll type up my notes, which would include all three control layouts.

Briefly, to answer your specific question, you can "dodge roll" in any mode by quickly moving the stick in one direction and then the other. E.g., to roll left, snap the stick right then left.

In battroid, you can also roll forward or backward in similar fashion. And it looks pretty cool.

If you want to do a real barrel roll in fighter mode, or even a "slow roll" that isn't a dodge move, you need to set the controls to advanced mode, which makes the stick behave more like a real aircraft's stick. If you use the "easy" mode, the stick behaves more like a steering wheel (basically like Battlecry) and it won't let you roll beyond a certain point.

If I recall correctly, in Gerwalk, the left stick does pitch and yaw, while the right stick does altitude and roll. So if you want to roll slowly in Gerwalk, use left/right inputs in the right stick.

All the above assumes control mode "A".

• 5 weeks later...

Hey... I'm considering buying a new copy of the game (well, unless I can find a used one).

If it wasn't a Macross game, would it still be worth the 6000 yen (55 bucks or so...)?

I can't decide quite whether I want it that much, or whether I'd be happer with the new Gundam PS2 game (Gundam vs Zeta Gundam).

If you buy on eBay, you can probably get it for less than $50. I got mine from etrade168, I think.

Is it worth the money? I'm not sure it would be worth modding your PS2 (or getting a Japanese one) just to play the one game, but if your system can already to play Japanese games, I'd say go for it.

...where I am, they aren't import, they're domestic.

:p

Why do you think I asked if it was worth 6000 yen?

And my PS2 can already run Japanese games (flip top + Swap Magic).

I have Kaido Battle 2 and Initial D Special Stage (which sadly is nothing compared to Arcade Stage Ver 3).

...where I am, they aren't import, they're domestic.

:p

Oh.

Why do you think I asked if it was worth 6000 yen?

Because cconversion rates fluctuate?

And my PS2 can already run Japanese games (flip top + Swap Magic).

Bah. If youre in Japan, get a J region PS2 in sexy "pearl white"(I think those are still on the shelves). :p It looks so much more awesome than a black one with a flip-top.

I got it yesterday... I like it.

It basically plays like an improved Battlecry... Gerwalk is still too hard to use in close combat though.

And Battlecry has a better transformation control system.

Needs multiplayer...

The missles make such a nice sound when they impact on their target though!

You'll get used to the differences from Battlecry. And then you'll probably end up liking the control scheme better.

Gerwalk, I find, can't be used as with BC. The gun is minimally useful in Gerwalk (you get a slight lock on, but battroid works so much better). Gerwalk is mainly good for hovering at optimal range for missile volleys before switching to fighter and avoiding the opposing volleys, or switching to battroid to hit enemies who come close.

well, I'm already used to it...

but it's still not the best system IMO. Good enough though (only thing useful is that the transform button is the same as the lock on).

I found how many enemies I shot down in Ai Oboeteimasu ka (the last DYRL mode level) terribly humorous. Something like 85 Regults alone, not to mention the other...200 or so various enemies... eh. Hikaru never had that much trouble with Bodolza, lol (I got him in one try but I had like 5% health left).

And I'm sure that the you've noticed that the same tactics in Battlecry work for Macross. Ie, launch a wave of missles, than another wave, and then transform to battloid, spin around use your gun, and then turn back into fighter and uses your missles again.

And the boss fights (the aerial ones at least, the ground battles weren't as much fun since it was too hard to use missles) work the same way.

Actually, in the air I like to launch missiles a few times in Gerwalk then convert to fighter and fly through the enemy group before transforming back to gerwalk, turning around, and repeating. Use battroid as needed/desired to deal with nearby enemies.

With bosses on the ground I like to use heavy missiles if I can, hovering in gerwalk while strafing. That's usually the way I deal with the bosses in first missions of the DYRL and TV, as well as Kamjin on Mars.

It can be useful... but it's just too slow for my tastes. The Battloid isn't as speedy as the fighter, but at least it has a decent missle defense, plus it can dodge attacks much better than the Gerwalk. The Gerwalk and Fighter's missle defense (chaff + roll) is only useful when you're moving, I think, so that means it's not very effective with the Gerwalk.

Bah. If youre in Japan, get a J region PS2 in sexy "pearl white"(I think those are still on the shelves). :p It looks so much more awesome than a black one with a flip-top.

I have one of those. Wasn't exactly cheap. Looks nice. I got sick of swaping discs on my flip topped PS2 plus not all games work with that method.

I played the Macross game for the first time in a few months the other day. Needless to say I received a few "S" ranks on my missions. B)) lol

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the game yesterday for Y2000, I played it for a while last night and it's not bad. Up to now the best I had played was VFX2, and I like the way this has a training mode which explains everything very simply.

Also, this is the first time I have seen the head lasers actually incorporated into gameplay, that was cool.

Last night I got up to completing the space fold level. I will be busy for a while though, so I won't be able to have a go on it in the near future.