Medicom/Hot Toys and all 1/6 scale figures

EXO

Did they not do one of superman and batman?

Yeah they did. The Batman Begins has too big of a head and not that nice proportion, though some details are nice (Takara won on this one, while Hot Toys is a close second), while the Superman used the U.S. comic super hero body(the one in the Spiderman comic version), makes it also look kind of odd. Huge chest, skinny waist, way too comical when this is a realistic movie depiction. They should have used the normal body and just use some padding if necessary for a muscular build under a thin tight suit.

Edited by mpchi

I love Medicom's stuff, they get most of my money in terms of action figures. I started collecting their Lupin and Kamen Rider lines, and I'm pretty happy in general. My biggest problem is quality control (it's pretty terrible for the price you pay). My Lupin figures are pretty durable in general, and I've never had any problems there. But as for the RAH bodies, they give me a lot of trouble. Here are a few case points:

1. Though not the RAH body's fault, my Kamen Rider 1 (1971 Ver 2.0) has a mishapen head (seriously, it's way out of whack, and I've bought 4 of this guy in total over the course of a year, and all of them have been that way).

2. This mostly happens on the nude bodies you can buy (for customizing), so be be warned of it. The shoulders joint's plastic will crack, and the arm will fall right off. I can't tell you how often this happens. And when it does, you either need to have some spare Medicom parts around, or you can kiss your $100-$200 goodbye. I've been burned a few times (more than once on Kamen Riders, and both legs of my Spider-Man Comic Version's legs broke off). Spidey was done for when his legs came off, because he's sewn into his costume, and the only way to fix him is to ruin the outfit. I was a bit upset about that, but I didn't care much for him anyway. And if you buy anything before 2004 in the RAH line, you're probably going to need to switch the body or something. I bought some old Kamen Riders, and the bodies were so weak and poor, that the arms and legs came broken. They are worse than the nude bodies, so I'd stay away from them.

One thing I will say for Medicom, their costumes are fantastic! I'd say that's where Medicom's strength is as a 1/6 scale figure company. Their sculpts are a bit stylized, their figures are hit or miss, their prices are outrageous, but the quality of their costumes makes you think their almost worth the price. I ordered the exclusive Kamen Rider #2 (from the recent remake movie, "The First"), and he finally arrived last month. Let me tell you, his costume is incredible. He's probably the coolest 1/6 figure I've ever seen. His quality is excellent all around, and I can find no problems with him whatsoever. So my best advice is to just wait until somebody else gets a figure, reviews it, and then you can make your decision as to purchasing it or not for yourself. If you want to find out the hard way (which it seems I usually do), just go ahead and get whatever from them. Some figures you'll love, some you'll hate, and some will break as soon as you take them out of the packaging. It's a very mixed bag.

Edited by VF-1James

What do you guys think of the RAH 220? They seemed to have upgraded the base bodies for these.. Sorta of like a mini version of the 1/6 ones (with double joints and knees) I remember the old 1/8 ones, The bodies were fragile and the costumes were terrible (to the point that they disintergrate in time)

I picked up Kamen Rider 1 in 220.. its a pretty tight figure in both sculpt and design. It differs from the 80's (?) version in paint apps and internal base body.

What do you guys think of the RAH 220? They seemed to have upgraded the base bodies for these.. Sorta of like a mini version of the 1/6 ones (with double joints and knees) I remember the old 1/8 ones, The bodies were fragile and the costumes were terrible (to the point that they disintergrate in time)

I picked up Kamen Rider 1 in 220.. its a pretty tight figure in both sculpt and design. It differs from the 80's (?) version in paint apps and internal base body.

Not sure how durable the 220DX body is, but it looks very good on the few release they have. It does suffer a bit of scale issues when compare to the 12", making it a tad less realistic in some poses or on fabric folds. But its a great choice for more budgeted collectors, especially when they don't mind the much smaller line-up.

For you 12" lovers, you gotta check out Takara's Kerberos Protect Gear that just came out. Its by far the most impressive 12" I've come across. Check my 'Takara 12" JinRoh figure' thread for details. You'll love this one for sure. ;)

Edited by mpchi

• 2 months later...

I got also bitten by the 12" bug... started with the Medicom Darth Vader ROTJ version, although I have in preorder the Takara Kerberos Protect Gear, HT Robocop 3 w/ FP :) (I already have ED-209, beatiful toy, and freaking big), and plan to buy the Medicom Stormtrooper & Boba Fett; maybe even the Medicom Rei (regular version no bandages).

I think the same as EXO, you can buy so much macross stuff with that money, but everywhere I see, there's a new HT, or Medicom figure...and they always look good on the pics.

By the way.... does anyone know were I can get a spare helmet for the Darth Vader RAH ROTJ?; not even a week old, and the thing fell from a table :( ; the helmet fell on the carpet.... And know the shinny helmet has 2 little white stress marks, that I HATE.... :angry:

I'm very anal with my toys, and when they have a problem, that bugs me all day... what can I do... could I buy a new helmet (I don't know if someone has a spare, or if there's someone who does recasts); or paint it, and then gloss it; or sell the whole thing at a loss and get a new one :wacko: .

Any suggestions?

Edited by rarra92

I have gotten a few 12" stuff but I keep those numbers down. I blow my money on all kinds of other stuff.

Anyways, the 12" figs I do have:

1x Marmit Sandtrooper (with the white pauldron, big rifle, plus backpack... looks great)

2x RAH Stormtroopers (looks d**n good. Got it when it first came out)

1x RAH Ep.III Clonetrooper

The Clonetrooper just arrived last week. It looks great and all. But straight out of the box, IMO the Ep.III Clonetrooper is plain, even compared to the regular Stormtrooper.

Simply put, standard Ep.III Clonetrooper armor is much, much plainer than the highly decorative "special" Clones we see in the movie with the extra gear, color patterns, etc. Even the design of the Ep.III armor is plainer compared to standard Stormtroopers.

The RAH Clonetrooper is in dire need of customization, IMO. I'd like to paint a design on it, such as the blue & white 501st Legion, but the semi-flexible nature of the figure's armor makes me very hesitant to do so. I fear the paint will crack up due to the flexible material.

The carbine that comes with the Clonetrooper looks great. It's too bad that the stock doesn't extend or fold back. I also would have loved to have the bigger rifle with the figure, the type that we see from Ep.II and III.

Either way, I need to get an RAH Darth Vader still. My pair of Stormies flanking him would be great for geek points.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Hot Toys Robocop - it's amazing. Great detail and it has a nice anodized metallic paint scheme to it.

here's 3 quick and dirty pics. You can't really tell from the pics but there is a really nice darker blue weathering on the armor.

[attachmentid=41747]

[attachmentid=41748]

[attachmentid=41749]

post-821-1175683891_thumb.jpg

post-821-1175683939_thumb.jpg

post-821-1175684059_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Some quick shots I made during lunch...

jango1gu3.jpg

jango3de1.jpg

jango8tb9.jpg

jango9wa7.jpg

jango10yo7.jpg

jango11bg3.jpg

jango12fl0.jpg

jango5ce4.jpg

jango6an5.jpg

Overall, I like Jango better than Boba. Because his outfit is less intricate, it is easier to pose him. Plus his shiny armor really pops off his blue jump suite.

FYI Boba's legs are easier to pose than Jango, due to Jango's hip holsters. However Jango's rocket pack is connected only to his back and not under his neck allowing more movement in his arms. Trying to get my Boba's arms up causes the clothing and the neck piece of the rocket pack to bunch up.

The power loader is easily one of the best Aliens toys ever made. It could have been the best, had they included Alienator missiles, just like in the movie. How could they miss a detail like that? :lol:

A quick warning. The welder is a little fragile. It broke two days after I got mine.

Hot Toys mentioned in an interview that they are considering making a 1/6 Queen. I'm having enough trouble figuring out where to put the power loader; I can't even imagine how big the queen will be...

The joints are there in the knees, but the problem is that you can't pose it with the knees bent because the design won't let it. I guess any robot where the legs of the rider goes into the legs of the robot would be limited... unless it was a motoslave where the rider's legs are just adjacent to the mechanical legs. But a landmate would have the same difficulties. Plus there's the balancing issues. Overall it's a great toy/model. I'd buy 2 if it wasn't so expensive. I went out and got the ripley by itself too. I never really planned on collecting 1/6 scale toys but this is a must have for me since I'm a huge Aliens fan... all I need is the 3 feet long Sulaco! :p I didn't get the marines because I didn't have the cash to get Hicks. And if I can't have them all then forget it. (Considering getting Drake for the smart gun though.)

And I would make room for a 1/6 scale Queen. I wanted to get the McFarlane one but I hate McFarlane and his crappy toys.

• 4 months later...

I only have one medicom toy so far and thats a limited edition MGS 3 Naked Snake figure aka (Big Boss). At the time I paid only 180 now the figure is worth almost 400 dollars! Im not letting it go though... too rare and I like the character here are some pics.

post-8267-1210738778_thumb.jpg

post-8267-1210738796_thumb.jpg

post-8267-1210738801_thumb.jpg

post-8267-1210738809_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Bump from the dead!!

Where's a good site to get 1/6 stuff? I used to go to SmallBluePlanet years ago but they're long gone. I finally fixed my Protect Gear Midori and am hoping to get one of the male Protect Gears before too long, gotta get an arsenal of WWII-era Axis weaponry to out fit them properly :D

Vostok 7

Bump from the dead!!

Where's a good site to get 1/6 stuff? I used to go to SmallBluePlanet years ago but they're long gone. I finally fixed my Protect Gear Midori and am hoping to get one of the male Protect Gears before too long, gotta get an arsenal of WWII-era Axis weaponry to out fit them properly :D

Vostok 7

For Medicom stuff, http://www.angolz.com/home/storebrowse.aspx from HK is a good site to order from, get good discount sometimes. For Hot Toys, you can either go ebay, or http://www.toys2.net/home.php in Canada also have a good selection. http://www.cornerstorecomics.com/ has a decent selection on Medicom & Hot Toys as well, their price are pretty good.

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/ has a lot of sponsor links and a forum where you can find more info, cool military kit bashes, or places to get loose parts.

http://www.runboard.com/bmedicom has more discussion on Medicom stuff.

you should try www.toytokyo.com. I usually pick up a 12" figure here and there from them when they come out to SDCC. This is where I got my MGS Snake with croc head and Snake with skull face paint for like 130 each. They sell other kinds of toys as well if your into the whole urban designer toy craze. Enjoy! ^_^