One of the most controversial graphic novels of all time finally gets animated. Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's Batman: The Killing Joke is produced by Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) and directed by Sam Liu (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Batman: Year One), and will feature the following voices:

• Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman (since 1992)
  • Mark Hamill as The Joker (who else?)
  • Tara Strong as Barbara Gordon (reprising role from Beware the Batman and Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman)
  • Ray Wise (Nash in RoboCop, Perry White in Superman: Doomsday) as Commissioner Gordon

As with other adapted works, Alan Moore refuses to be credited in this film.

The film will be rated R and is slated for a July release.

A Sneak Peek at Batman: The Killing Joke

Y'know Alan Moore might be a brilliant writer, but he never fails to come across as a jaded a-hole. This film couldn't ask for a better group of people working on it. I'm ashamed to admit I've never read the graphic novel, but its pedigree precedes it, and I'm very much looking forward to its release.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reminded of the Batman Beyond movie and how that one was... actually pretty good. I've never read nor care to read the comic, but if this lives up to The Return of the Joker, I'm game. It certainly can't be worse than that OTHER Batman-starring movie...

I saw Flashpoint Paradox a week or so back. Also surprisingly good. (It's still a peeve when DC does grimdark for the sake of grimdark, and so it just comes off as them trying too hard, but either way, that was a pretty good one, too.)

I remember watching the Sub-Zero animated movie way back when, too, which was also surprisingly mature. So hm, maybe I have more reason to check out those than I thought I did. Thanks for the suggestions. :D

DC Animated can do no wrong.

DCU on the other hand.....EH.

haven't like their new 52ish incarnations lately and the latest justice league vs teen titans is cringe worthy. The batman stand alones are ok, but nothing like they used to be.

Edited by Negotiator

I know I'll get roasted for saying it by the animation is terrible. Jerky and looks like bad video game animated sequences from years ago.

Mark Hamill's joker voice is superb though. Never would have guessed it was him. I've not seen his other outings as the VA for Joker but just those few lines from this are enough to convince me.

Yeah, the animation quality is probably the worst among all animated Batman releases over the past two decades. Let's just hope the rest of the film is better.

As for other animated Batman stories, I still have a soft spot for Mask of the Phantasm, especially since I saw it in theaters. Under the Red Hood is also very good, except for one flaw: it doesn't have Kevin Conroy.

Yeah, the animation quality is probably the worst among all animated Batman releases over the past two decades. Let's just hope the rest of the film is better.

As for other animated Batman stories, I still have a soft spot for Mask of the Phantasm, especially since I saw it in theaters. Under the Red Hood is also very good, except for one flaw: it doesn't have Kevin Conroy.

I still rank Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (the uncut version) as one of the best, if not THE Best, animated Batman film of all time.

Just a few things to comment on here:

Several shots in the trailer have definitely been slowed down digitally (wish they wouldn't do that!) , hence the choppiness.

Jon Suzuki was the lead designer on TKJ and for the record I think he did an

absolutely stellar job.

Kevin and Mark were WAY at the top of their respective games when they did the voice recordings. As were Tara and Ray. All I can say is, once the movie comes out, if you don't like their performances then you don't like ice cream (if I may paraphrase Sinatra).

Answer studio in Japan animated the film, not Moi -- and I think they did a superb job.

Flat designs? Cheap-looking too-sparse backgrounds? I dunno, I think it's one of the best-looking movies I've ever made. Shrug.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...