1/60 VF-1 replacement shoulder hinge

VF5SS

Got mine today, had no trouble fitting them, but there must have been an error because the shoulder ball joints are EXTREMELY loose. Like, the arms won't stay horizontal at all.

According to my digital calipers, the original ball ends (from two different sets of Yamato shoulders) are 5.9mm and the ones from Shapeways are 5.7mm.

Unfortunate because they're otherwise great and ordering another set from Shapeways will take another month or more.

For the time being, I'm going back to the beige hinges. :(

Nope. I placed my order on Feb 15th, they went into production on Feb 20th and didn't ship until March 13th.

Do you know what the dimensions on Sanjeev's ball joint are supposed to be?

They say there's a .01mm variance. If I can find that out, then I can contact them and tell them it's off by x amount etc.

Nope. I placed my order on Feb 15th, they went into production on Feb 20th and didn't ship until March 13th.

Do you know what the dimensions on Sanjeev's ball joint are supposed to be?

They say there's a .01mm variance. If I can find that out, then I can contact them and tell them it's off by x amount etc.

What version did you get? The older individual hinge or the newer in pairs? I got the older and they fit great!

• 2 weeks later...

If Shapeways doesn't respond, I can try to get a confirmed working set for you.

Anyways, I've decided to upgrade some of my existing figures regardless of their shoulder status because the transformation is so much smoother now.

My VE-1 has been REBORN!

post-1819-0-50140800-1332871003_thumb.jpg

ah~

Hello, first time Yamato buyer here. I've been eyeing this 1/60 VF-1A with Super/Strike parts, and I know it's got potential shoulder problems because it's the rainbow tinted cockpit version. My question is, is there a particular shade of white I should choose when buying these parts so they match with the toy at least? Thank you very much for any help you can give.

The standard polyamide colors are more pure white than the Super/Strike Valkyrie off white. They can be dyed or painted using acrylics to match the toy.

Despite the weird purpleness of their gray dye, it's not a bad fit if you just want to pass off the shoulder hinge as mechanical detail.

Despite the weird purpleness of their gray dye, it's not a bad fit if you just want to pass off the shoulder hinge as mechanical detail.

Hmm, that IS an idea to consider, thank you very much!

I assume dying is permanent, like the color seeps into the part somehow?

Ya know, I just want to rant for a sec.

I am SUPER disappointed (pissed off is the better term) that Yamato had such poor design and quality control with these damn shoulder hinges. ALL 3 of my first run 1/60 v2.0 valks ... VF-1S Roy DYRL, VF-1A Strike Hikaru AND VF-1J Strike ... have turned out to have shoulder hinge crack issues. All of my newer ones don't, which is great. But I spent a lot of hard earned cash on these when they came out and I am super careful with my stuff. I have had these in storage or on display and haven't really touched them since I got them. Now I am moving, won't have the space for them, try to pass on a good deal to some friends here and when I check before I send 'em out, BAM ... I am screwed. I knew about 1 of them up front, but to find it on all 3, not to mention the rainbow tint crackle issue - It's complete BS that Yamato hasn't/won't offer replacement parts to those who spent hard earned cash on these. WHERE"S YOUR HONOR YAMATO???

That being said,

I think it is super cool that the people here care enough about one another to step up and fix these issues themselves, and then share the love and hook everyone else up. You guys rock!!!

Edited by atreyu2112

Yeah, I noticed yesterday when I ordered from them. Got the white instead. I'll just dye it later.

Yes, Dye Another Day (But tomorrow because tomorrow never Dyes)!

... Sorry couldn't help. :ph34r:

@Veef:

I agree with the smoothness of the movements when the hinge is replaced.

@ Mechamaniac:

Strange I got both from Shapeways, I haven't checked their size but my VT-1 arms aren't loose with those remplacement parts.

I was thinking fabricated from metal parts, you think it might work ?

The hinge is designed to work as plastic. Metal wouldn't have the necessary flex and would grind down the support tab for Gerwalk and Battroid mode.

Besides the Polyamide is super strong :3

Got my second set today from Shapeways. This time, I got the single version and these work great. It's amazing what .1mm will do. The last set I had was 5.7mm and they were loose as hell. These are 5.8 and they work great.

Also, the turnaround time on this order was like two weeks. Last time, it was a month or more. I guess the last set was just a fluke.

In any case, this set rocks!

Finally acquired my first Yamato Valkyrie (hooray!!!!!!!!! :):wub::p:D:lol: ) a V2 Hikaru VF-1A with Super and Strike parts (which, surprise surprise, had broken shoulder joints out of the box. Had cockpit crackle too, but I can live with that). Borrowed my friend's replacement joints while he wasn't using them and mine are in transit, and boy are they a treat!

Ridiculously hard, my modelling file barely made scratches on their surface the whole hour I was working on them. Now, I have no fear transforming my Valkyrie between modes (and lend it to my clumsy friends if they wanna see it). Thank you sir! You have two Valkyrie owners who will back your fine product.

Yes, Dye Another Day (But tomorrow because tomorrow never Dyes)!

... Sorry couldn't help. :ph34r:

Bad James Bond puns? I am shaken AND stirred...

sorry to go off topic, but a while back there is a side cover for vf-0.

did anyone know how and where can i order this?

i believe it was available briefly on shapeways, but it was taken down before i can order.

if someone know, please forward me to the right direction.

i appreciate it.

thanks

Ordered 2 sets today. I think that should cover me. Some of mine are cracked but not broken. At least now I have a replacement for when they do fail.

Thank you!!! Finally had time to install the hinge on my VF-1A Hikaru, and it was pretty easy to do! Hinge fit great and works well. The ball joint was a tad loose but nothing a couple layers of nail polish can't fix. :) Thanks again for doing this.

Edited by locidm