HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

It's a Japanese user-generated quiz site. Someone (apparently an online-buddy of her's) made this quiz asking Japanese users on how much they know about RT and HG. Why? I don't know, nor care.

You'd think it'd be more of a quiz asking how many Japanese users actually care about RT and HG. I'm sure that those that may actually know of them, probably don't care too much for it, save for Americans stationed there.

You'd think it'd be more of a quiz asking how many Japanese users actually care about RT and HG. I'm sure that those that may actually know of them, probably don't care too much for it, save for Americans stationed there.

It would be interesting to learn which "part" of Robotech Japanese fans (if any) could possible be more partial to. It couldn't possibly be the "Macross Saga" since it's overarching plot, narrative and character arcs have a well-established continuity and plenty of sequels/prequels. Southern Cross was a complete bomb. That leaves Mospeada which developed quite a following in Japan but was bereft of any sequels. Perhaps some Japanese are fond of Robotech because they characferize it as a form of Mospeada continuity

Suffice it so say, Yui's penchant for Robotech does intrigue me, especially since being in her 40s she would have been in her early twenties when Robotech was released -- that seems a tad too old for one to develop such a deep abiding attachment. I just wish she was able to explain her stance more coherently.

I think her dad lived in an American base

In Japan? If she had been a kid when Robotech was released her love might be explained by her associating with the kids of American serviceman who were fans, but according to her profile she would have been in her twenties so that argument seems kinda moot.

Edited by Aeternalis

It would be interesting to learn which "part" of Robotech Japanese fans (if any) could possible be more partial to. It couldn't possibly be the "Macross Saga" since it's overarching plot, narrative and character arcs have a well-established continuity and plenty of sequels/prequels. Southern Cross was a complete bomb. That leaves Mospeada which developed quite a following in Japan but was bereft of any sequels. Perhaps some Japanese are fond of Robotech because they characferize it as a form of Mospeada continuity

Suffice it so say, Yui's penchant for Robotech does intrigue me, especially since being in her 40s she would have been in her early twenties when Robotech was released -- that seems a tad too old for one to develop such a deep abiding attachment. I just wish she was able to explain her stance more coherently.

I have to agree. I think based on the markers, and the windy trails that we've been given, somehow, this is some sort of fascination with an American rendition of these series that came on early, and from someone else. As for why she'd have a friend pose the question to people who have no vested interest in those questions, that makes no sense. The one thing that really dictates your raw data, is what group you pull from. In this case, there seems to be a sparse group, with no clear conclusion to the data.

Mospeada was kind of a bomb too. Why do you think it ended at 25 episodes.

Not entirely true. It certainly did not garner a Macross like fandom but Mospeada did have a small, albeit quite vocal group of hardcore fans who staged a large write in campaign to bring it back. Through their efforts, a special release for the home video market appeared in September 1985, the music video OAV, Genesis Climber Mospeada: Love, Live, Alive. From that perspective Mospeada was kinda akin to Firefly -- both were deemed commercial failures but generated an intensely loyal fanbase. Therefore I can see how Robotech might seem quite attractive to mospeada fans considering its story was mostly unchanged and is the major source of impetus for pushing the franchise forward. Consider Shadow Chronicles for example -- except for the merely token references to Macross, Mospeada (by and large) is the actual bedrock for the narrative.

Not entirely true. It certainly did not garner a Macross like fandom but Mospeada did have a small, albeit quite vocal group of hardcore fans who staged a large write in campaign to bring it back. Through their efforts, a special release for the home video market appeared in September 1985, the music video OAV, Genesis Climber Mospeada: Love, Live, Alive. From that perspective Mospeada was kinda akin to Firefly -- both were deemed commercial failures but generated an intensely loyal fanbase. Therefore I can see how Robotech might seem quite attractive to mospeada fans considering its story was mostly unchanged and is the major source of impetus for pushing the franchise forward. Consider Shadow Chronicles for example -- except for the merely token references to Macross, Mospeada (by and large) is the actual bedrock for the narrative.

My cats breath smells like cat food.

25 episodes! Why to HG Marketing that's a HUGE SUCCESS!!!! Blog people! Blog!!!

Well, OBVIOUSLY Mospeada was a HUGE SUCCESS! It was so popular it led to LLA which HG is bringing to us in a modernized version. ALSO, it had a super successful toyline back in the 80s with pieces worth hundreds of dollars today. It even had 2 new toylines in recent years just due to its cult following. The toys were even packaged here and "sold out before they were even released" according to McKeevie. Don't forget, once the Shadow Chronicle turns into ChronicleS, it'll be selling GANGBUSTERS in Japan as a true Mospeada sequel! Yup, it's a great time to be a Robotech fan but an even greater time to be a Mospeada and even Southern Cross fan: Robotech LLA with new MINUTES of animation featuring Mospeada and Southern Cross, a 25th Anniversary Soundtrack which will be out by the 30th Anniversary, toys ready for sale as soon as the boat leaves dock, a new Mospeada - I mean - New Generation RPG (once it meets the strict HG guildelines for quality and gets approved), and the Rising Shadow Chronicle. And remember, the SC wallet and matching wristbands are STILL IN STOCK at rt.com!

Edited by ps99042

Therefore I can see how Robotech might seem quite attractive to mospeada fans considering its story was mostly unchanged and is the major source of impetus for pushing the franchise forward. Consider Shadow Chronicles for example -- except for the merely token references to Macross, Mospeada (by and large) is the actual bedrock for the narrative.

I don't know, remember the leaked script for the continuation of the Shadow Saga? It sounded like HG was going to make it painfully similar to DYRL in the future, which is probably not the best thing for a show that was following Macross 25 years ago while trying to be original.

Edited by Einherjar

3263-0.jpg

A.D.1986, I'm 17 years old when Robotech first broadcasting by AFN Okinawa.

I watch regacy Robotech program with My elder Boyfriend (USMC MCAS FUTENMA C-130H Captain) at Camp Kinser is a United States Marine Corps base in MACHINATO,URASOE-city Okinawa, Japan.

Ryukyu Broadcasting Corporation (http://www.rbc.co.jp/) revival-broadcasting "Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" ,"Super Dimension Fortress Macross" ("Orguss",Tokyo Movie Shinsha film omitted because of unknown reason,1983 virginal-broadcasting only)in 1985.

In OKINAWA island divine,Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (1983) has never broadcasting by native Okinawan R.B.C and Japanese broadcasting station except for adaptation "Robotech:New Generation" broadcasting by AFN Okinawa in A.D.1986.

In Japan? If she had been a kid when Robotech was released her love might be explained by her associating with the kids of American serviceman who were fans, but according to her profile she would have been in her twenties so that argument seems kinda moot.

Yui-1107 Amazon.co.jp " Books " (domestic and oversea English / French ) review page !

Edited by yui1107

So, I was right. in my guesstimation of why Robotech has any importance to her. I'm probably not the only one who could've seen that, but a year and a half of psych courses will definitely make things like that easy to call out maybe? Onto the next subject, HG sucks! OK, back on track.

So, why is it (and please give another reason other than they just aren't creative enough) that the best title Tommy can give for the next Robotech side $hit, is "Robotech: Love Live Alive"??? Really? Wait, Really?? I mean c'mon...REALLY??? Is Carl's, I mean, Tommy's vision that lacking in the creative bulge? Do they even know what the f!@# "Love Live Alive" actually means? IF the Genesis Climber Morsepedia (you know where that came from) music tribute was called "Love Live In Your Butt", would the new Robotech side project simply be called "Robobtech: Love Live in Your Butt"? It always enlightening to get a new bar setting for the term MORON. And leave it to a franchise that I used to think was pretty cool growing up, to set said proverbial bar. Hahaha, it's 0430 pst, and I'm IRL LOL (my daily use of the text shorts). In all this, it's pretty funny, seeing the yellow short bus with the RT fantards being driven right into an oncoming freight train of common sense. All the while, they're singing "My Time to Be a Star" and "We Will Win". Seriously, them in that short bus, and the freight train, who do you think is really going to win?

Edited by Jasonc

Basically... Harmony Gold is saving anime, and we need to support them by BUYING ALL THE MERCH!

i'll stick to buying from Adam & Eve, thanks.

I don't know, remember the leaked script for the continuation of the Shadow Saga? It sounded like HG was going to make it painfully similar to DYRL in the future, which is probably not the best thing for a show that was following Macross 25 years ago while trying to be original.

Really, there was a leaked script for Shadow Rising? I didn't know that, any additional details you could share? It doesn't look like HG is in a big hurry to finish making/releasing it.

I know people will think I am crazy but I kinda liked shadow chronicles but didn't grow up watching robotech, I don't think it even aired where I lived. My first introduction to Macross was the dub of DYRL which is still my favorite Macross.

Really, there was a leaked script for Shadow Rising? I didn't know that, any additional details you could share? It doesn't look like HG is in a big hurry to finish making/releasing it.

Eh... really, calling that leaked document a "script" for Shadow Rising is obscenely generous. It's actually nothing but an outline of the story for "Shadow Chronicles Part II" that covers and conveys the salient bits of the story. The leaked document also had some brainstormed plot points for the conclusion of the OVA (Part III and/or IV), which gives the impression that they were trying damn hard to imitate Macross. The whole affair is only like five and a quarter pages long.

I know people will think I am crazy but I kinda liked shadow chronicles

Buddy, that alone makes you certifiable. :p

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Eh... really, calling that leaked document a "script" for Shadow Rising is obscenely generous. It's actually nothing but an outline of the story for "Shadow Chronicles Part II" that covers and conveys the salient bits of the story. The leaked document also had some brainstormed plot points for the conclusion of the OVA (Part III and/or IV), which gives the impression that they were trying damn hard to imitate Macross. The whole affair is only like five and a quarter pages long.

Buddy, that alone makes you certifiable. :p

:lol: I knew somebody would say something when I wrote that.

:lol: I knew somebody would say something when I wrote that.

Well, duh... drop a bombshell like that in a place like this, and it's pretty much inevitable someone'll call you a madman.

Still, in all seriousness, the plot outline for Shadow Rising and the eventual conclusion of what we'll call "the Shadow saga" isn't a particularly enlightening read. A lot of what's in it is just facepalm-worthy, in all the worst ways. (I particularly love how the freshly reincarnated Zor's solution to the whole plot is "I'll build a big damn gun!".)

The blog that posted it is gone, so you'll have to skim through the descriptions the posters talked about regarding it here.

Shadow Rising: Leaked Information

It doesn't help that ever since there was complete silence on HG's part until Love Live Alive.

(I particularly love how the freshly reincarnated Zor's solution to the whole plot is "I'll build a big damn gun!".)

Hey, that's always the best way to solve a problem! If brute force isn't the solution, you aren't using enough of it.

The blog that posted it is gone, so you'll have to skim through the descriptions the posters talked about regarding it here.

Shadow Rising: Leaked Information

It doesn't help that ever since there was complete silence on HG's part until Love Live Alive.

That fiasco was nothing but drama. Someone puts up the treatment, it's up for a day or two, then down. HG obviously got worried about it, as they had some emergency podcast just to have Tommy deny writing it. Yet, in the same podcast, they said something about their legal department was going to look into it, which, if it was fake, why would they have legal look into it? Anyways, what was even funnier, was that the RT fantard group started coming up with all sorts of conspiracy theories right after. Things like angry RT fans wrote it, Macross fans trying to give RT a bad name wrote it, etc. Then it got more personalized, like Tom wrote it, then I wrote it, and on and on. I'm not really one to blindly call foul on something like that, but a certain fan-friend of Tommy's was telling me the same synopsis of the story well before that thing got leaked, so once I put one and one together, it became obvious Tommy was letting people read it, so, it's anyone's guess where it came from. I'm sure they've since that, have scratched that idea. In any case, I'm sure if you ask someone here, someone has it. I don't think I do, as it's been about 4 years since the issue, and from what I remember of it, it really isn't worth the time to read.

I wouldn't worry too much, there's more comedy coming from HG and the loyal fantards, so I can pretty much guarantee more laughs coming your way.

Among the changes in Love Live Alive, the Midnight Rider changed his sleep schedule, he will ride at noon from now on to make him more family friendly, and love costs money. There's no more clapping to get through the night. They'll say horray to get though the day. Fire is dangerous, so instead the children will be encouraged to keep faith in Shadow Rising.

http://boards.4chan.org/m/res/7019711

oh hey someone posted that treatment

grab it quick, 4chan threads go fast~

Got it. So, now it comes to mind, had this never come out, would this be the Robotech we might see in the future? If so, did they person who put this out actually help Robotech out? I know, way too many hypothetical questions there, but it raises some interesting what ifs.

WTF? This outline is utter crap! There are so many problems with the general events and reused ideas I can't even begin to list them. To answer jasonc's question if leaking this actually helped Robotech: hard to say. On the one hand, no one will have to suffer watching this so Robotech won't be tarnished by this potential production. On the other hand, since no one can watch this, Tommy's postion at HG and regarding Robotech is secure so the franchise is still screwed.

So despite all their talk about how music was no longer important and that is why they were moving away from it, here we have them using music in their new supposed production.

Obviously they didn't have more music in the show after Macross simply because the other shows they used didn't have it, but its interesting to see them trying to use a robot that can sing. Anyone else getting a bit of a Macross Plus vibe from that?

It sounded like HG was going to make it painfully similar to DYRL in the future, which is probably not the best thing for a show that was following Macross 25 years ago while trying to be original.

Isn't that exactly what the crappy Frontier is doing as well -- trying to emulate Macross (right down to the principal character archetypes) and failing miserably. Uninspired Imitation or Homage?

its interesting to see them trying to use a robot that can sing. Anyone else getting a bit of a Macross Plus vibe from that?

Didn't the Robotech Novels (the Sentinels series) have a singing android (Janice Em?)? I believe they were published in the late 80s before Plus came out.

Edited by Aeternalis

Singers are in every part of Robotech. They always have been and they are part of the story. It's from Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, not just Macross. Not having (professionally made) songs in Shadow Chronicles out of fear of emulating Macross is one of the things Harmony Gold does wrong. It's one of things that is going to be wrong with Love Live Alive.

They could not have won the first war without Minmei, the second without Bowie and Musica, and the third without Lancer. In all three cases there was a subplot where the love of music indirectly led to the winning of the war. Not that I would expect Tommy Yune to understand that.

Isn't that exactly what the crappy Frontier is doing as well -- trying to emulate Macross (right down to the principal character archetypes) and failing miserably. Uninspired Imitation or Homage?

Failure? I remember the response was overwhelmingly positive even outside this forum. It was always promoted as an anniversary production for the franchise, purposely making homages to the original but then deconstructing them over the course of the series. Sometimes viciously.

It confirms that the appearance of the SDF-3 and "Rick Hunter" in Shadow Chronicles is just a Rickroll. Robotech is braindead. It continues as a franchise when the story is already over.

Tommy once said at a convention that he always wanted Rick Hunter to be an ongoing story in the background, like the survivors getting off of the island in "Lost," even though at the convention he said that, the survivors had been off of the island for a couple of seasons at that point.

So, it makes sense that they hyped up Shadow Chronicles as the answer to the "greatest mystery of a generation." Because, you know, when you think about your childhood from the 80s, the first thing you think of is " OMG Rick Hunter! What happened to him?!?!"

So despite all their talk about how music was no longer important and that is why they were moving away from it, here we have them using music in their new supposed production. Obviously they didn't have more music in the show after Macross simply because the other shows they used didn't have it, but its interesting to see them trying to use a robot that can sing. Anyone else getting a bit of a Macross Plus vibe from that?

Still using the expression "protoculture" as well. Even though it is used differently, it is still a word that they stole from Macross, of course....

Didn't the Robotech Novels (the Sentinels series) have a singing android (Janice Em?)? I believe they were published in the late 80s before Plus came out.

Yeah, Macross Plus *TOTALLY* ripped off the Robotech Novels!!!!