Battleship Movie

Dangaioh

but the Iowa BB's...

Haven't seen the movie yet. Saving it for DVD.

Don't know about the coms, radar or main guns, the aft flight deck and flight ops right now NO yet BB-63 Mighty Mo could be underway in two to four days. Engine room is off limits to the general public and has been maintained by volunteers.

i know the guns are spiked. they would have to be i would imagine.

Are you sure they are spiked, they have the "Rain Caps" on the end, no ammo anywhere nearby, and the firing pins are almost certainly removed - but there is no need to actually spike the guns since they are quite harmless with no ammo around, unless they fell on someone....

I don't remember for sure but I think you are correct that the guns are just capped.

Wanted to work in Turret #3 but the space was deemed to hazardous at the time since it still had asbestos so I helped restore the flight ops control room.

It would be a sure bet that the asbestos removal continues today.

Correct. All of the Iowa class ships have been out of service for quite some time. However, if I'm not mistaken, they're preserved in such a way, that they could be re-activated if needed.

You are not mistaken.

They were all decomissioned 20+ years ago, but the National Defense Authorization Act of 1999 required that 2 Iowa class battleships be reinstated (mothball fleet, but still maintained) up until 2006, when they were struck from the registry again.

Since then:

NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR FISCAL YEAR 2007

"In the conference report (H. Rept. 109-360) accompanying the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2006, the committee included instructions regarding the transfer of the battleships USS Wisconsin and USS Iowa to the Commonwealth of Virginia and State of California, respectively, and the President's reversion authority pursuant to a national emergency. The committee seeks to clarify that the battleships USS Wisconsin and USS Iowa must be regarded as potential mobilization assets and both the recipients and the U.S. Navy are instructed to treat them as such. The committee notes that the following measures should be taken: (1) the ships must not be altered in any way that would impair their military utility; (2) the ships must be preserved in their present condition through the continued use of cathodic protection and dehumidification systems and any other preservation methods as needed; (3) spare parts and unique equipment such as 16-inch gun barrels and projectiles, be preserved in adequate numbers to support the two ships, if reactivated; and (4) the Navy must prepare plans for the rapid reactivation of the two battleships should they be returned to the Navy in the event of a national emergency."

The whole thing is available here: http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?sel=DOC&&item=&r_n=hr452.109&&&sid=cp109WUZzm&&refer=&&&db_id=cp109&&hd_count=&

DB, you are the AWESOME. But there's the ink then there's the wrenches. just because it's law doesnt mean someone will still follow it to the letter (just to amount someone pays them to do their jobs)...

It was bad.. man.. just bad....

I haven't seen it yet, but it seems like this became cannon fodder for The Avengers. Hopefully, Prometheus won't end up like this.

It was bad.. man.. just bad....

You can tell by the previews that it's awful. When the trailers started appearing I thought it was one of those "fake" trailers that movie theaters use to remind you to turn off your phone and all that...

Exactly. It sounded awful from the concept. It looked awful from the first pics. People were pretty sure it'd be awful from the teaser, and it was confirmed awful from the full trailer. Avengers has little to do with it. It could have gone up against a re-release of The Land Before Time III, and not done any better.

Whereas Prometheus just looks better and better with each bit that comes out. It went from "gonna see it" to "gotta see it" to "must be there at midnight showing at all costs".

Whereas Prometheus just looks better and better with each bit that comes out. It went from "gonna see it" to "gotta see it" to "must be there at midnight showing at all costs".

I am SO doing that, lol...

• 2 weeks later...

You can tell by the previews that it's awful. When the trailers started appearing I thought it was one of those "fake" trailers that movie theaters use to remind you to turn off your phone and all that...

it would have been better had the JPJ had it been a exclusively DDG movie (maybe just getting the BB's guns to fire)... and less of the lead actor being qualified with his SWO/AW/SW/SS/SW/Para/Cyberwarfare qualifications... yeah, it was cool but mostly worth watching on Netflicks (for those of you who uh... dont violate copywrite laws and illegally DL stuff...)

:ph34r:i dont for the record

does anyone have screen caps of the end, to see if our hero LT actually had his Rifle & Pistol ribbons/medals (they'll be dark blue with 2 or 3 verticle green thin lines, maybe a S or E tabs as well... but dont confuse the E tab with the one for a Battle E.... yeah i know this sh*t...

Edited by TehPW