TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

What kind of lighting (i.e. Incandescent, Flourescent, etc...) will cause UV damage, and what is safe to use as a light source near a display full of Yamato Valkyries?

I'll just add a little to what Eugimon has already said. Incandescent bulbs and LED's are, like he said, the safest, as they don't emit any UV rays at all.

But if you're using compact fluorescent bulbs [aka energy-saving bulbs], try to use the encapsulated versions. Basically, it's just a white dome that covers the fluorescent tube, thereby reducing whatever UV rays that are emitted. They look almost identical to incandescent bulbs, but holding an encapsulated bulb up to a source of light will reveal the spiral fluorescent tube inside. For even better protection, install them in shaded lamps for an extra layer of UV protection.

But if you can get your hands on LED's, those are the best choice.

Edited by GU-11

• 1 month later...

are your pieces already broken? Because if it's not yet there you can sand the metal pin or replace it. It's basically that pin thats causing the problems Should cost less than shipping IF you ever get a hold of someone that will get a hold of Yamato for you. Also Have you tried where you bought it from? Just tryong to help. ;)

are your pieces already broken? Because if it's not yet there you can sand the metal pin or replace it. It's basically that pin thats causing the problems Should cost less than shipping IF you ever get a hold of someone that will get a hold of Yamato for you. Also Have you tried where you bought it from? Just tryong to help. ;)

Thanks EXO. Its more preparring for the worse. Since I can't find the right version 2's, I'm gonna have to settle for the wrong ones. So id rather be ready.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a quick question for you guys. I bought a VF-1S No Painting Ver. (Completed Version) from a guy in Japan on Ebay.

I was wondering if anyone here owns one and could verify that it is not supposed to have the same look as the Yamato photos.

In the Yamato photos it shows tampo for the UN Spacy kites and also shows a green visor and the red and blue lighting on the knees.

Could someone confirm?

The Yamato pics are from a baddly photoshopped VF-1S, the actual toy/kit comes with translucent visor and lights and no tampo prints.

Thanks for the answer, I was worried the guy put the unpainted kit together and put it in the completed toy's box.

Crap I guess I either should sell my unpainted kit or sell the completed toy.

Knowing me though I will just keep both LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm fairly new (noob!) to toy customization, but I was considering picking up one of those new plain white 1/60 VF-1 w/ extra parts model kits that Yamato is putting out (anyone know when those are supposed to be released?).

For those that got the first edition release of this kit VF-1s, can anyone tell me how durable and how solid they feel in comparison to a standard Yamato VF-1? Are they just as nice, clicky, and solid, or more akin to a regular model kit? Lastly, how well does paint stick to the plastic? I know some toys are just terrible with paint adhesion, but I would think that due to its model kit nature, this release would be better.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Archer

Hi folks, just got my first 1/48 valk (Stealth w/ super/strike parts) set up, and wanted to ask if the arms in fighter mode are typically floppy? It seems from the manual images that the small tab/peg on the inside legs of the valk are supposed to connect with holes on the super armor for the arms to secure things, but the holes on the armor don't look like they are in the same position as the image and don't really hold things together? Weird stuff, but thought I'd check to see if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance..

I recall this issue with the 1/48s, you could mitigate it by pushing the legs together but the dangly arms were a common issue. Usually the gun propped them up enough for it to not be noticeable if you weren't going to try to whoosh it around.

Edited by jenius

• 3 weeks later...

For all you model kit builders and painters: I'm thinking of picking up the Fan Racer. Now, I don't normally build kits or paint or anything of the sort. (Putting the little plastic bits on the SDF-1 nearly drove me nuts). But I really want a Fan Racer, so here's some questions:

1) Does the Fan Racer need glue, or does it snap together? If it needs glue, what sort of glue?

2) I'm not the best with painting, especially staying in the lines. Could I use something like painters tape to help keep lines straight, just like painting a room?

3) Can I just go to my local hobby store and buy the generic stuff? Nothing special needed, right?

4) What kind of paint do you recommend if I want a shiny / glossy paint job? (or do you not recommend glossy?)

5) How long did it take you guys to build and paint it?

Edited by pud333

I can help you my friend... B)) . You might want to post this in the Model Forum as well...Lots of good guys there. Anyway....I was a model builder years ago, but had gotten away from it for about 15 years..so when I finally had a place to build again, I wanted to start with something simple-ish and REALLY always wanted a Fan Racer, so I took the chance. I already new Yamato made a good (99% of the time) toy, so I figured their models had to be at least descent. Make sure you get the fan racer with the pilot included! It's the newer release. The first release didn't have one!

To answer your questions in order...

1. You will need glue. Normal everyday Testors Model Cement is what i use most of the time, but liquid superglue is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well.

2. The paint scheme made me nervous as well. White was always a difficult color to spray for me and against an orange...yeh. But never fear, buy yourself some Tamiya masking tape..and then some good painters tape from the local hardware store and you should be good to go.

3. If you have a good local hobby shop, then yes, I don't. Most of the time Tamiya product is hard to find for me and I have to buy it online, so good luck. However, I recently discovered that the new Hobby Lobby close to me has a pretty good selection of things.

4. For this particular model, I used Tamiya gloss white and Orange Spray Cans. Now....I usually my airbrush for everything, so this was a big departure for me, however, it turned out great. I will say this....go buy the cheapest model you can find that you don't care about and practice TEST painting it first!!!

5. I never really keep track of how long it took me, but not more than a few hours over a couple of weekends. ---Most important thing about building models---HAVE LOTS OF PATIENCE! If you feel yourself getting frustrated, just walk away for a couple of days....it always helps! Trust me!!! :lol:

Hope this helps..if you wanna ask anything else you can feel free to PM me.

ps..the stand is NOT included...it was from an old 1:100 Valk kit I never finished, but I thought it was awesome for the Fan Racer!

Good Luck!

post-11393-0-14908000-1322921407_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-00676400-1322921434_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-07959800-1322921468_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Thanks a lot derex3592! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one. You're right though, I should practice on some cheap models first. This should be enough for me to go from for now. Thanks again!

EDIT: Any idea where to grab a Fan Racer with pilot? All I see online so far are the ones without Hikaru...

Edited by pud333

• 2 weeks later...

Was the Bandai 1/55 DYRL Super VF-1S Hikaru (the one with red accents) ever reissued either as a fighter, super or a strike?

The Red 1/55 VF-1S Hikaru was only ever released as a strike (with an extra Fast Pack Booster for a non strike version) back in 1984. It was never part of any rereleases by Bandai, just like the Ostrich, Elinseeker and the GBP armor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I doubt they'll redo the mold for this expensive toy. There is however a re-release scheduled.

I believe I saw it would just have a slightly different box and maybe a change to the order of the instructions. Have they released anything about the date of the re-issue?

• 2 weeks later...