New Homeworld 2 Macross Mod

shadow3393

Hi, I just recently started a Mod for Homeworld 2. This is my first attempt at modding HW2, so I am still in the process of learning about the game engine.

So on to the meat of the subject.

What is the timeframe:

Basically anything Macross.

Whats already done:

New Ships

VF-11 (fighter only)

VF-17 (fighter only)

Ghost X9

Monster MKII

Destroid Work/Miner

Uraga Class Stealth Carrier

Northampton Class Stealth Frigate

New Macross Class Battleship (Warship only)

-Thanks to Akt_M for the VF-11, Ghost, NMC and Monster

New Hyperspace Effects*

New Weapons

Micro missiles

Reaction missiles

Point Defense weapons*

The Macross Cannon*

What is going to be done (eventually):

Enemy races(Vajira, Varata, Zentrandi, Mentrandi, Original?)

More ships/ fighters

Animations

Transformation for all VFs and NMC

Proper texturing dry.gif

What might be done:

I plan on in the future creating a original campaign that will be a side story in the Macross Universe. Think of it as a interactive fan fic

*In progress, still needs tweeking

Currently it is only me who is doing this, so if anybody wants to help, I will be very happy to have you on board. Especially if you can texture. smile.gif

And here are some screen shots of what is already done

--edit--

List Update 10-11-2008

VF-19 (fighter only) added, thanks to Star Dragon and MODELS PLEASE for the mesh

Point Defense upgraded

Vajira Scout aka Vajira (small) added

NMC is now fully transformable

New mod site

http://sites.google.com/site/macrossgenerationsmod/

post-10089-1222905427_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222905504_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222905532_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222905581_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222905638_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222905720_thumb.jpg

Edited by azrael

If you want i could try to "finish" my NMC model (just need to do the bridge, and hands, would be easy for a untransformable unit), so you could use on your mod.

That would be great

Also as an update

I have the Cheyenne II acting as my point defenses

pics later

--Edit--

Please forgive the lack of real textures, using placeholders until I learn how to UV map better.

post-10089-1222958389_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222958425_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1222958473_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow3393

This is how the model is... i believe i won't have much difficult to finish the model, maybe some problems to do the texturing...

Wow much better than mine, using yours will make the transition to transforming much easier. My model is 1 solid chunk. I would have had to remodel it for it to transform.

Fell free to redo the UV maps if you want. Did all by automatic tools.

Have no idea how the arms fit in ship mode...

Finished in a hurry...sorry if there is anything very bad...

http://rapidshare.com/files/150352497/B7.rar.html

Looks good, but the upper leg assembly seems a little short. It doesn't cover up the waist assembly, leaving a hole in the middle. I'll try to fix it on my end. Hopefully I don't mess up anything on what otherwise a very good model.

This should be in game by tonight

--edit--

Actually upon further inspection, it was the the shoulders that were a little too small. Modifying now

--edit--

Fixed, working on the HOD now

Edited by shadow3393

You did pretty fast. I see you forgot to resize/move the piece that connects the shoulder with the body. By any chance you don't know how to do the engines glow???

I got lazy, lol. As for engine glows, again due to laziness, just threw in the glows I had for my Uraga.

Resized the shoulders, moved it a little backwards. Moved some of the leg piece a little upwards.

It still has the initial problem I mentioned earlier, that there is a gap between the legs and the shoulder.

I tweeked the shoulders using this as a reference.

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macross7/newma...arrier-side.gif

Moving the shoulder won't really solve the problem. You would need to modify the entire leg probably.

post-180-1223000452_thumb.jpg

This is from an earlier version i've made. It is too long and with it there is almost no space left to the upper leg...

I have no idea how to do it without changing the torso. It was one of the main reasons i've never finished it...

--edit---

See if this is better now:

http://rapidshare.com/files/150433278/b7_q...nish_3.rar.html

Edited by akt_m

Moving the shoulder won't really solve the problem. You would need to modify the entire leg probably.

post-180-1223000452_thumb.jpg

This is from an earlier version i've made. It is too long and with it there is almost no space left to the upper leg...

I have no idea how to do it without changing the torso. It was one of the main reasons i've never finished it...

I shifted the shoulder joint back and made the shoulder a little bigger, it is almost off the torso as of now, but I am assuming the shoulder is on a track and that when it transforms the shoulder joint will shift forward into place.

This is what I have now

--edit--

I think it is fine now, if anything I think I can resolve the issue by semi-fudging the transformation.

post-10089-1223002048_thumb.jpg

post-10089-1223002281_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow3393

I see you already have a battle7. I have a LP one I was going to offer as a reference, but I guess it's a little late. :)

Anyway, My friend MODELS PLEASE made these and I thought maybe you'd like them as placeholders (plus I'd like to see you get them in game to launch from B7!)

He made the Y-19 Kai fire and Excal meshes, I just screwed around with the Excal textures since he didn't make a VF-17 yet for Gamlin and i made VF-19D (For Diamond Force/upgrade) just cause I wanted to see how it would look in that color scheme. I know it's a retextured 19, but he ws workign on a true excal, not sure if he finished it, I need to re-check my files...

Pic (static not in game)

h2wplaceholders1.jpg

Please feel free to use them if you wish.

If I could continue to get your support/permissions as well for the new models you're turning out (like B7, VF-17, and the two otehr cap ships) that would be great! :)

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know...

If you didn't want to use them np, just thought I'd offer. All Credit goes to [Models Please] only.

Files: http://www.4shared.com/file/65506640/d0ead...For_shadow.html

AKT_M you're welcome to them as well...

Edited by Star Dragon

I see you already have a battle7. I have a LP one I was going to offer as a reference, but I guess it's a little late. :)

Anyway, My friend MODELS PLEASE made these and I thought maybe you'd like them as placeholders (plus I'd like to see you get them in game to launch from B7!)

He made the Y-19 Kai fire and Excal meshes, I just screwed around with the Excal textures since he didn't make a VF-17 yet for Gamlin and i made VF-19D (For Diamond Force/upgrade) just cause I wanted to see how it would look in that color scheme. I know it's a retextured 19, but he ws workign on a true excal, not sure if he finished it, I need to re-check my files...

Pic (static not in game)

h2wplaceholders1.jpg

Please feel free to use them if you wish.

If I could continue to get your support/permissions as well for the new models you're turning out (like B7, VF-17, and the two otehr cap ships) that would be great! :)

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know...

If you didn't want to use them np, just thought I'd offer. All Credit goes to [Models Please] only.

Files: http://www.4shared.com/file/65506640/d0ead...For_shadow.html

AKT_M you're welcome to them as well...

Fell free to use the B7 model!

Thanks!!!

And to re-iterate, Although I am a RT dev, those meshes are for the fanfic only!

I use the engine as a mod, to set up the action scenes, so please don't worry about them being used in anything related to RT (they won't be used or released as such!)

So far in the fic, the main cast started at Sentinels (SDF3), then went to a SRW/BT fusion Earth, to a Macross II/7 fusion!

Next on the hit list is GUNDAM:Char's Counter attack! (and much hilarity and attempted genocide ensues...)

Eventually: B5, Trek, Star Blazers and a few others are getting into the mix...

The end game is going to be glorius!!! (albeit a pure wankfest) :)

I'm still trying to figure what vf is the grey and the blue one...

Just curious, what program are you using to edit the models shadow3393???

I am using Anim8tor, a free program. However I do use Wings 3d,also a free program, for tweaks and component export. I wish I could get the relic tools to work on Maya 2008 though, that way I can start getting making animations for the mod.

Star Dragon, do you have a preference on which format you want the models to be exported as? and which models?

Did you read all the documents that comes with the relic sdk???

One of the most important things to get it working is to set the enviroment variable.

under system variable

"HW2_ROOT" "x:\xxxx\homeworld2"

You need to extract the shader folder from the big file and put in the homeworld2 folder.

When it searches for the ship.st shader it will look by the HW2_ROOT system var...

Edited by akt_m

Did you read all the documents that comes with the relic sdk???

One of the most important things to get it working is to set the enviroment variable.

under system variable

"HW2_ROOT" "x:\xxxx\homeworld2"

You need to extract the shader folder from the big file and put in the homeworld2 folder.

When it searches for the ship.st shader it will look by the HW2_ROOT system var...

Yea, Apparently one of the dll is no longer supported by maya, IMFPSD.dll, so it wont export recognize any hods or export anything. Also when I have the relic toolbar installed, all the other toolbars disappear. I did try using the community made updated files, but still the same problem of IMFPSD.dll not working.

Edited by shadow3393

If i'mt not wrong the IMFPSD.dll is just to import the photoshop texture files. Because at maya 5.0 it wasn't natively supported. I may be wrong but i guess at maya 2008 there is no need to use plugins to use PSD files.

If anything just DL maya 5.0 or 6.5, tested and worked at 6.5.

Edited by akt_m

If i'mt not wrong the IMFPSD.dll is just to import the photoshop texture files. Because at maya 5.0 it wasn't natively supported. I may be wrong but i guess at maya 2008 there is no need to use plugins to use PSD files.

If anything just DL maya 5.0 or 6.5, tested and worked at 6.5.

I think I will try the finding an older maya, less of a headache later I guess.

On the mod side of things, I have started modeling a vajira unit, the small yellow ones. Cant seem to figure out if they have more than 2 legs

--edit--

I just realized in ep7 of Macross Frontier, they showed that they do indeed have 4 legs.

Edited by shadow3393

Can't you even export any of the models that comes with the relic sdk???

When I went to export, there was no option for hod, only the standard maya export formats

Can't really check now, because I uninstalled all the tools

Edited by shadow3393

then you need to go to windows - > settings/preferences -> plugin-manager -> check the boxes of all the relic plugins. (hod exporter, don't know the names).

But maya 2008 won't work with past versions plugins, so you would need a plugin that someone compiled to maya 2008.

then you need to go to windows - > settings/preferences -> plugin-manager -> check the boxes of all the relic plugins. (hod exporter, don't know the names).

But maya 2008 won't work with past versions plugins, so you would need a plugin that someone compiled to maya 2008.

Yea I figured, I will get around to finding an older version of maya at some point.

I am using Anim8tor, a free program. However I do use Wings 3d,also a free program, for tweaks and component export. I wish I could get the relic tools to work on Maya 2008 though, that way I can start getting making animations for the mod.

Star Dragon, do you have a preference on which format you want the models to be exported as? and which models?

Can you give me one of your ships in .obj?