Custom 1/60 MtF VF-1J Head Unit

Kurisama

Hey all - this one's been itching (in my head) to be made for ages - so this morning I put aside my 'real' work and started to make this kick-ass head sculpt by Tenjin-sama.

Still needs some angles to be tweaked and the back portion and internals to be made, but it will be done soon - but we'll have to wait for a while for a print to get to me to make sure it's all good. Unless people trust me enough to just make it available.

I will include a few laser options - as the concept art has them splayed at about 15 degree each side where as the current 1/60 are nearly parallel - they're also 2mm wide at the tip, just like the current one - but may be too fragile. Seeing if I can make the visor removable for separate painting too.

Anyways, progress as it happens, enjoy.

Feedback welcome.

post-1623-0-23466500-1416542111_thumb.jpg

Yep, they are - but in order to have the openings like how I have them now, that's what the dimensions needs to be.

If I were to make the general shape the exactly the same as the concept art, I'd lose the cheek intake holes.

As they are now, to anyone that has the VF-4 custom; the intake lips are almost the same thickness, and they're super thin in person.

post-1623-0-25043300-1416570982_thumb.jpg

It's nice, but I think the proportions are off. I go the impression that the updated head was pretty much the same as the old version, just with a little more detail. (The added dimension to the visor & chin, intakes on the cheeks, more divots on the head lasers)

I think you've put too much weight toward the chin and reduced the back of the head too much.

I'd been toying with trying this too, for my Unassembled Yamato. I just haven't had the time lately.

post-2681-0-24014500-1416600738_thumb.jpg

This is a nice add-on! There is a great MTF head I found on Pinterest, sorry I couldn't find who made this model, so I can't give credit: 68fbe8b50c356cab6febdab3597b05f3.jpg

This head is not very accurate to the MTF line art, but I think it got the most important design point: the visor is menacing!

Could you modify the form of your visor to make it more like a cone: larger inside, smaller on the visor side. (That wasn't clear, I just made a quick drawing of it if it can help ;) )

post-15880-0-92364500-1416844029_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone - thank for all your inputs! It's clear everyone has a slightly different take and/or point of view!

I'm uploading it to shapeways to get an idea of price and if it'll actually pass the tolerance tests - lot of small details I think might just make it through.

Studying all the art i have available for this - it's also clear each pic differs slightly, so I made my own choices and added my own flavour. Head can look up and down in a range of 70 degrees. Will be including both laser options. Visor is separate for ease of paint. Decided to keep the size of the cheek intakes the same so I can keep the holes. Had to add some extra bits and detail for the head swivel.

post-1623-0-19206100-1417066678_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-22844100-1417066631_thumb.jpg

post-1623-0-68506400-1417066673_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-30647100-1417066651_thumb.jpg

Now up for sale;

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2897190/vf-1j-k-custom-head-unit.html?materialId=60

And I have made the head lasers available separately in WSF+Polished as I think the FUD lasers may be too fragile;

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2897327/vf-1j-k-custom-head-lasers-only.html?materialId=62

I will be ordering these over the next few days myself - as I want to revisit my VF-0D conversion kit and make it utilize 2mm/1mm brass rods and other tweaks here and there + finish the head unit I had for it.

Very nice Kurisama! Perhaps you can gather more love with additional/optional smaller chicks -just like you made 2 set of antennas-

I really love the paint scheme of Hikaru's MTF, but too much paint to do for my sake!

If it can be of any help, there is a $10 gift for Black Friday using "DESIGN20" code until this Sunday!

The adjustments are looking better. I think if you can make the jowel intakes about 2/3 as wide, it'll look more like the lineart in your 2nd post. At that point, I'd probably be satisfied enough to order yours, than trying it myself. I can't wait to see the printed result, though!

Curious, have you considered angling the laser mounts similar to the standard 1/60 head to get them to tilt when rotated up? Or does the art actually depict them angling out when facing forward?

Looking good either way! I almost wonder if those chin vents would work better molded solid, and then drilled out manually.

The adjustments are looking better. I think if you can make the jowel intakes about 2/3 as wide, it'll look more like the lineart in your 2nd post. At that point, I'd probably be satisfied enough to order yours, than trying it myself. I can't wait to see the printed result, though!

I've ordered a set - so I won't be making any adjustments until I get them in hand, but the jowls will certainly be something that I'll revisit or make an alternative available like the lasers.

Will this be available in 1/72? I don't own any 1/60 scale figures.

Possibly? I'd have to find and dig out my hasegawa kits - that are in storage across town somewhere... So not in the immediate future - unless there is a massive want for it? A lot of the smaller details may have to go as well as fusing some parts together.

1/48 head! Pleace!!!!

I don't own any 1/48 valks, sorry! Or maybe I'd have to get you to measure some pieces for me/take photos.

Curious, have you considered angling the laser mounts similar to the standard 1/60 head to get them to tilt when rotated up? Or does the art actually depict them angling out when facing forward?

Looking good either way! I almost wonder if those chin vents would work better molded solid, and then drilled out manually.

Not sure the art does - and to be honest, I only ever thought the 1S did the angle/turret thing you mention.

I measured my 1J; the distance between the lasers facing forward and facing up - there is a difference of a few mm, I never noticed it before on the 1J, I only noticed it wasn't as splayed as the anime.

I'd say there is maybe a 1 to 2 degree (or less) angle at the base to allow this - it is possible to do this on my version - but i'll see how this printed one goes first. But that may have been a better way to go initially. Oh well, I'm only human.

Thanks for the update. What software do you use when modeling?

Even if detail is lost in the smaller scale, the more agressive look would stand out and have people asking "so

Etching is different, just can't put my finger on it."

Can't wait to see you prints when you get them. Keep us posted please.

Thanks for the update. What software do you use when modeling?

Even if detail is lost in the smaller scale, the more agressive look would stand out and have people asking "so

Etching is different, just can't put my finger on it."

Can't wait to see you prints when you get them. Keep us posted please.

I use Maya - and yes, waiting patiently here for them to arrive!

Also. just a reminder - there is currently only a few hours left to take advantage of 20% off your Shapeways order, right now! Get on it!

Just for sh#ts and giggles (plus I needed a new avatar) while I wait for shapeways and look at making a 1/72 version;

post-1623-0-90875000-1417577839_thumb.jpg post-1623-0-75779300-1417577835_thumb.jpg

BTW - if anyone can help, I need the diameter and length of the pegs for both the head laser pegs and neck to torso plug for the 1/72 Hasegawa Battroid kit. Anyone?

Edited by Kurisama