HG and Robotech Debates

It would fall on both in the eyes of BBB since the details were posted on RT.com's site and not Toynami's. Although, Toyanmi is the producer, HG name and associated content is on the product, and is the product in itself.

Well...seems like a real stretch to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

But what would be the purpose?

Well...seems like a real stretch to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

But what would be the purpose?

Conversation, since we talk about licensing, trademarks, etc. I figured what about HG's standing with BBB? Is it accurate? Is there any possible aspect to speculate on, that may lead to questions?

Conversation, since we talk about licensing, trademarks, etc. I figured what about HG's standing with BBB? Is it accurate? Is there any possible aspect to speculate on, that may lead to questions?

I'm sympathetic, really I am, but... I mean, we've all been looking at the same information for quite a few years now. Nothing's going to change unless something big happens between Big West and Tatsunoko. And the courts already decided on that case.

Anything further is just banging your head against a wall.

I'm sympathetic, really I am, but... I mean, we've all been looking at the same information for quite a few years now. Nothing's going to change unless something big happens between Big West and Tatsunoko. And the courts already decided on that case.

Anything further is just banging your head against a wall.

I hear ya. An in all honesty. I've only recently seen any and all of this. I was solely paying attention to TF's, and a bit of Gundam from 1999 to 2006. I peeked into RT in 2000, and got a VF-1s Yamato in 2006, and that was my Robotech/ Macross/ Mospeada exposure until late 2008. In '08 is where I started on this road with of robot toy hobbying.

Wouldn't that be Toynami's problem, not HG's?

I think so. In that situation, HG is just the licensor, the company who gives the rights to other people to make merchandise based on material they own. It's not really their fault that the licensee, Toynami, screws up their official products. It makes both companies look bad though.

A buddy of mine who has a store that sells books, gave me a free copy of the Shadow Chronicles RPG book, the hardcover version. I haven't really read through it, and don't intend to ever play it, but it kinda makes me feel like this is how the fans are really going to get any good stories out of the franchise....make your own $h!t up... Unfortunately, he hasn't been selling a lot of the Palladium RT RPG books, and he's probably going to cut the amount he orders by a lot.

Quoted for truth.

A buddy of mine who has a store that sells books, gave me a free copy of the Shadow Chronicles RPG book, the hardcover version. I haven't really read through it, and don't intend to ever play it, but it kinda makes me feel like this is how the fans are really going to get any good stories out of the franchise....make your own $h!t up. [...] Unfortunately, he hasn't been selling a lot of the Palladium RT RPG books, and he's probably going to cut the amount he orders by a lot.

Quoted for truth.

Seconded. Not long after the Shadow Chronicles core book first came out, I was given a copy of the book by a friend of mine who runs a gaming/hobby shop in town. He'd ordered the bloody thing on a lark, and decided he'd get it off his shelves for good when nobody showed any interest in buying it. I gave it the once-over, and I was left wondering if Harmony Gold had deliberately tried to sabotage the book's fluff text and setting information so it wouldn't hurt sales of The Art of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles. The crunch is, if anything, even worse... "issues galore" doesn't quite cover it. The supplements have been just as bad, to the point of having fans expect the books to have enough problems that the errata/corrections thread is made before the book even gets back from the printers.

Just a few weeks ago, a well-meaning bloke on the Palladium forums gave me a copy of the new Macross Saga sourcebook, and we went over the thing together. Despite the Robotech fanbase's frequent protestations that Robotech isn't Macross, the Macross Saga sourcebook was clearly written using Macross sources, almost to the exclusion of everything else. The only real differences are in terminology, some of the fluff, and the NERFing of pretty much everything compared to the previous edition of the game and that old Macross II RPG. I haven't yet been exposed to the Masters Saga sourcebook yet, but given that the errata thread ended up turning into a flame war, and that I've heard nothing but complaints about it from everyone I know who has a copy, I'm not exactly eager to go over it myself.

Then again... having Robotech fans build the universe by making stuff up as they go isn't anything new. That was the premise of at least half of all Robotech fan sites on Geocities and other free-hosting sites. They'd "borrow" designs and stories from any mecha anime they ran across and incorporate them into their Robotech games or fan-fiction. Macross was the usual favorite, though I've seen them also do Gundam, Evangelion, Patlabor, and a handful of other robot shows.

I get info like this from various people I know all over, and then hear what HG has to say, and the reality of the people trying to sell the merchandise vs. what HG says seem to be totally different stories. It's probably also why these books are on sale at palladium.

I haven't seen any official commentary from Palladium about the sales of the Robotech RPG books, but there's a lot of discontent from those who did buy them regarding the "manga size" and the excessive price of the "normal" 8.5x11" hardcover edition.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Not sure about that... I did see some yamato toys being sold at one of the toy shops (Not sure if it's in Toy Kingdom). Besides I don't think we are profitable market for them here. I did make a search at http://trademarks.ipophil.gov.ph/tmsearch/ ... Didn't find anything though

Thanks, 'tol, for checking that area.

Offtopic1: We know that the better and genuine anime merch are found at Greenhills. :)

Offtopic2: No thanks to the TV stations, Naruto/DBZ/Bleach/One Piece, Korean pop culture, Taiwanese soap operas and young divas are more profitable. Which is why in these days the Philippine anime scene is still the fringe compared to what we've seen at our ASEAN neighbors.

On-topic: Anyway, if there's nothing that can allow HG's dirty mitts to touch here, now that you checked the trademarks database and all's clear, I think this (even if it sounds like a pipe dream) should be the right time to bring SDF or Frontier right up here, but only after either Hero TV or Animax make direct, serious negotiations with BW/Satelite...

Again, thanks. :D

Thanks, 'tol, for checking that area.

Offtopic1: We know that the better and genuine anime merch are found at Greenhills. :)

Offtopic2: No thanks to the TV stations, Naruto/DBZ/Bleach/One Piece, Korean pop culture, Taiwanese soap operas and young divas are more profitable. Which is why in these days the Philippine anime scene is still the fringe compared to what we've seen at our ASEAN neighbors.

On-topic: Anyway, if there's nothing that can allow HG's dirty mitts to touch here, now that you checked the trademarks database and all's clear, I think this (even if it sounds like a pipe dream) should be the right time to bring SDF or Frontier right up here, but only after either Hero TV or Animax make direct, serious negotiations with BW/Satelite...

Again, thanks. :D

And if it happens... then get ready for the BOOOOOOOM!

Then again... having Robotech fans build the universe by making stuff up as they go isn't anything new. That was the premise of at least half of all Robotech fan sites on Geocities and other free-hosting sites. They'd "borrow" designs and stories from any mecha anime they ran across and incorporate them into their Robotech games or fan-fiction. Macross was the usual favorite, though I've seen them also do Gundam, Evangelion, Patlabor, and a handful of other robot shows.

I've only seen bits and pieces of this. Sadly, the official expanded mecha roster that came out of Palladium wasn't any more interesting. I recall an old RPG site with images of Macross destroids hacked together with heads of Valkyries, Destroid Monsters without cannons, and all this other crazy s*%$.

Sad.

Good to know the only new real mecha is that stupid jeep that transforms into a gorilla-bot.

No thanks to the TV stations, Naruto/DBZ/Bleach/One Piece, Korean pop culture, Taiwanese soap operas and young divas are more profitable. Which is why in these days the Philippine anime scene is still the fringe compared to what we've seen at our ASEAN neighbors.

May'n will never go to the Philippines :(

That makes sense...afterall, Robotech is so innovative and on the cutting edge of everything. I heard all video games over the past 10 years have all been made due to how creative and in the forefront as Robotech is. :lol: Also, in the movie industry, WB is trying to hurry and finish the Harry Potter franchise, and get all the other movies done, just so they can solely work on Robotech, because it pitches a tent....I mean.... it's their tent pole.

Well, other movies have made their ways out of development hell, such as Dungeons&Dragons, the Superman movie that eventually became Superman Returns, Watchmen, Sin City, etc. So, there is a very tiny glimmer of hope that it could happen in the next 5 years, but don't hold your breath. Now let's wait for Memo, Yune, McKeever, or whoever else to copypasta this as their own. Btw hi Kevin!

That makes sense...afterall, Robotech is so innovative and on the cutting edge of everything. I heard all video games over the past 10 years have all been made due to how creative and in the forefront as Robotech is. :lol: Also, in the movie industry, WB is trying to hurry and finish the Harry Potter franchise, and get all the other movies done, just so they can solely work on Robotech, because it pitches a tent....I mean.... it's their tent pole.

:lol: Is that a woody I see?

Well, other movies have made their ways out of development hell, such as Dungeons&Dragons, the Superman movie that eventually became Superman Returns, Watchmen, Sin City, etc. So, there is a very tiny glimmer of hope that it could happen in the next 5 years, but don't hold your breath. Now let's wait for Memo, Yune, McKeever, or whoever else to copypasta this as their own. Btw hi Kevin!

I know there is still a small chance of this movie being made, but as WB and other movie companies have been making a lot of these movies with the same type of plot, one's gotta wonder if the fad will die down. Battle Los Angeles was a good movie, and while I'm sure some of the vocal RT fans are still looking into this being the next Robotech movie, I wonder if WB just bought the rights to Robotech so that nobody else would use it. I know they have been toying with the idea of this movie for awhile, but I wonder if they are just doing that to check the viability, and at this point maybe shelve it??? I, personally, hope it doesn't get made. I have no interest in seeing a new incarnation of this, and it just seems like a bad idea all around. If it does get made, I hope it flops. I won't be seeing it.

:lol: Is that a woody I see?

I am always looking for a good movie to make as tent wood and pitch it...LMAO :lol: This "Tent pole" term seems to be the new secret word for the Robotechies. I'm sure the techies hope that Robotech becomes their tent pole to pitch.

I am always looking for a good movie to make as tent wood and pitch it...LMAO :lol: This "Tent pole" term seems to be the new secret word for the Robotechies. I'm sure the techies hope that Robotech becomes their tent pole to pitch.

Because tents were prevalent in RT...who can forget the tent that was pitched in the bowels of the SDF-1 where Rick saw...or the tent Zor pitched whenever Dana walked in the forest...wait up...what about the tent that was pitched when Ariel reached the next stage in Invid evolution by multiplying her breast size in SC...omg I just realized where all the protoculture went! :ph34r:

I still say they could mix Wing Commander, all 3 Starship Trooopers, & Independence day.

That sounds like a good project for a fan group. Take all 3 and re-dub them with a few people, then add in some robotech music and you can call it a new live action show.

Or just make 3 movies out of them and call it a trilogy. It can work...sort of.

No, first you need to dub them over in Japanese, and sub them. THEN you go and make a dub off of the subtitles, changing random words and meanings in the first movie, and completely ignoring the original plot in the other two.

Actually, if you consider the idea that the Tiger's Claw was built from the wreckage of the ships in ID4.. hmm.

Reminds me of something I wanted to do for a long time: find a Japanese dub of the hollywood Godzilla movie, and watch it with English subs. :lol:

I know there is still a small chance of this movie being made, but as WB and other movie companies have been making a lot of these movies with the same type of plot, one's gotta wonder if the fad will die down. Battle Los Angeles was a good movie, and while I'm sure some of the vocal RT fans are still looking into this being the next Robotech movie, I wonder if WB just bought the rights to Robotech so that nobody else would use it. I know they have been toying with the idea of this movie for awhile, but I wonder if they are just doing that to check the viability, and at this point maybe shelve it??? I, personally, hope it doesn't get made. I have no interest in seeing a new incarnation of this, and it just seems like a bad idea all around. If it does get made, I hope it flops. I won't be seeing it.

Well, It will be a giant robot movie whenever it gets made, so that alone would give it a vote from me if it ever happens. I personally never got burned on Robotech stuff like you guys have, but I really understand why you all have the negativity though. I would be bitter too if treated like crap from McKeever and co.

Edited by gaiden

Well, It will be a giant robot movie whenever it gets made, so that alone would give it a vote from me if it ever happens. I personally never got burned on Robotech stuff like you guys have, but I really understand why you all have the negativity though. I would be bitter too if treated like crap from McKeever and co.

As I've stated before, I was never treated bad by them, I just got tired of listening to stupid excuses, and the way the whole thing is run. I expressed an opinion they didn't agree with, and was told to "cool off" and apologize, and I told them what they could do with that. No bitterness, or negativity there, I just call things as they are. Most people know that I call things as they are, and it was quite hard for me to put on the "Hooray for Robotech" attitude, when they had just come out with a movie that sucked to no end.

As for the movie, I've never been into the animated shows-turn-movie. G.I.Joe, Transformers, Dragonball, have all sucked in my opinion. Transformers had half-assed plots, and in seeing the second movie, it reminded me of why I don't care for them. I don't need, or care to see a revision of Robotech that isn't going to be like the original. Also, if they're going to do that, they might as well call it Macross, and keep it true. It's just my opinion, but that's it.

Also, I don't need to support a franchise that I don't believe in, or have given me any decent product in forever. If the product is worthy, I'm in, but how often does that happen? I'm also not one to simply buy something just because it has an endearing franchise label attached to it. So, take those two reasons, and those are my reasons for not having any interest in seeing a Robotech Live action movie. It has noting to do with being bitter, just personal opinions and beliefs. ;)

After watching the premiere of the new Voltron series, I really think Robotech fans should be really scared about the future. It's a prime example of what can happen when a wholesomely Japanese influence in a series is taken out and replaced with something more Western and cheaper production-wise, yet trying to lightly emulate the original style. Shadow Chronicles already started the trend, especially the cheaper and emulating aspects, and could get worse with the "experimental" stuff they're planning with the upcoming side-story. It's only strength the production could have is the plot if they managed to make up something interesting to talk about.

Edited by Einherjar

After watching the premiere of the new Voltron series, I really think Robotech fans should be really scared about the future. It's a prime example of what can happen when a wholesomely Japanese influence in a series is taken out and replaced with something more Western and cheaper production-wise, yet trying to lightly emulate the original style. Shadow Chronicles already started the trend, especially the cheaper and emulating aspects, and could get worse with the "experimental" stuff they're planning with the upcoming side-story. It's only strength the production could have is the plot if they managed to make up something interesting to talk about.

Something interesting, like they kill off all the old characters, kill the Haydonites, destroy all the mecha, and have to rebuild new mecha and very-techs, then (the big plot twist...) AN ALIEN RACE COMES TO TAKE OVER EARTH AND IT'S LAST REMAINING POWER SOURCE!!!

Something interesting, like they kill off all the old characters, kill the Haydonites, destroy all the mecha, and have to rebuild new mecha and very-techs, then (the big plot twist...) AN ALIEN RACE COMES TO TAKE OVER EARTH AND IT'S LAST REMAINING POWER SOURCE!!!

Huh what's all this about the Flower of Life and the Masters? I'll just ignore that part because I can't understand it and focus on protoculture as a fuel and how it relates to Rick Hunter as an old man on Star Trek or I'll turn protoculture into a god. I'll have lots of scenes of people with Marvel comics bodies saluting each other. It's all about how many references to Sentinels I can throw in there. Robotech to the Rescue!

I've only seen bits and pieces of this. Sadly, the official expanded mecha roster that came out of Palladium wasn't any more interesting. I recall an old RPG site with images of Macross destroids hacked together with heads of Valkyries, Destroid Monsters without cannons, and all this other crazy s*%$. [...] Good to know the only new real mecha is that stupid jeep that transforms into a gorilla-bot.

Oh, there were tons of sites like that back around the time I first got involved in the online Robotech fandom... most of which have been "lost to history" due to free hosting services pruning unused sites and the closure of Geocities. MS Paint chop jobs like you described were pretty rare, the most common approach was to take designs from whatever mecha show was popular at the time and give them a Robotech backstory, sometimes going as far as to Robotech-ize the story of an entire series to use it as a fourth Robotech saga. Macross and Gundam were both pretty popular targets for that sort of thing, though I've also seem them draw on Evangelion, Patlabor, Blue Gender, and at one point even the Star Wars: the Clone Wars cartoon.

It's funny you should mention that kind of messy image editing though, because the "2nd Edition" Macross Saga sourcebook has some of that. One of the artists tracers who worked on the book tried to make new, official-looking line art for Robotech's "VF-1R" variant by crudely editing Tommy's art of the head onto Studio Nue's art of the VF-1 battroid. The end result looks awkward and out-of-place, with two radically different levels of detail.

People, people, people...

Robotech's LAM has already been produced, and is considered one of the most wildly successful science fiction movie titles ever created! The only reason that it didn't take any oscars is that the creative folks at HG thought that the oscars were beneath them!

So, without fruther ado, let me introduce you to the all-time Sci-Fi/Anime/SciFi/Cyberpunk/SciFi action thriller of all time: The Robotech Live-Action Movie!

Speed Racer Is Racing Back To Comics

Is Robotech still a priority for the Creative Director of the franchise, side story and all coming up?

It's good for Speed Racer fans, though.

Ah, so that's what Tommy's doing on the side. Looks like that hammers down the fact that Robotech is really busy and a lot is moving [/sarcasm] :lol: