One of the best aerial sequences in cinematic history. Still get choked up watching that. Freaking love it when the Tomcats come roaring in after the yacht blows....i always think help has arrived!

If you pay attention to the reflections in the pilots visors, you'll notice most of the in cockpit shots of the Tomcat pilots are actually done in A-6's with the pilots just wearing VF-84 helmets.

Still one of my favorite movies.

Chris

The first time I saw the F-14 was in the movie The Final Countdown... Seeing them and the USS Nimitz was love at first site.

I remember seeing this movie too... just out of curiosity (not that it matters), I can see that the Tomcat fired a sidewinder at the second zero. How effective would an IR missile be against a prop-plane?

I remember seeing this movie too... just out of curiosity (not that it matters), I can see that the Tomcat fired a sidewinder at the second zero. How effective would an IR missile be against a prop-plane?

I take it you mean a piston-engined propeller aircraft.

They still have very hot engines, much hotter than the ambient environment. An IR missile would track them about as reliably as they track anything, which varies with environment and missile iteration.

I take it you mean a piston-engined propeller aircraft.

They still have very hot engines, much hotter than the ambient environment. An IR missile would track them about as reliably as they track anything, which varies with environment and missile iteration.

Yea... that's what I meant :p ... Thanks for the info!

Why were the zero's canopies open? Do they fight in combat situations like that?

You mean why were the T-6/SNJ canopies open?

Many pilots flew with their canopies open, particularly at low altitudes and speeds. Don't see it much on A6Ms, at least not in the photos I've seen, but it was done in many WWII aircraft.

Lol... when I hear "Danger Zone" it reminds me more of Archer now.

Thanks Pyrox!

Hollywood.

I thought of that too, but they didn't have that conceit in the 70's. It started more in the 80's with Batman and progressively got worse... Backdraft in 1991, where Firemen rushed into blazing fires without their breathing apparatus. That's why I appreciate the hell out of the new Dredd Movie. I think Top Gun was ok about it... They had their "manly" exposition during their "manly" volleyball game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Regards jets vs props - leaving aside encounters between the Me262 and Allied piston-engined fighters, I remember reading that the RAF once wanted to know what would happen if they sent in to deal with an insurgency in a former colony or similar equipped with older planes, so they dusted off a few Spitfires and sent them up against English Electric Lightnings...

Some IR-guided missiles are "all-aspect" and capable of homing in on reflected heat from aircraft surfaces, not just the engine (though thats usually the strongest heat source). And yes, it was common for World War II pilots to cruise with the cockpit open; in fact pre-war many pilots openly protested against fully enclosed cockpits, especially in Japan.

The first time I saw the F-14 was in the movie The Final Countdown... Seeing them and the USS Nimitz was love at first site.

I loved this movie as a kid. Also, with the shooting down of the two Zeroes, wouldn't those jets get to have kill markings with the Imperial Japanese flags on the fuselage? :ph34r:

Itself. Top Gun 2 will be about Maverick trying to understand how the development of the F-35 went wrong. :p

:lol:

It will be humans vs drones again, I'll bet. Politically correct rubbish.

In the original it's not even known who they killed(hence politically correct), all we know is they shot down a bunch of F-5s with cannons loaded in the leading edges and that F-14s have Ace Combat load-outs of Sidewinders! :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

It will be humans vs drones again, I'll bet. Politically correct rubbish.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/top-gun-2-maverick-drone-warfare-1201529697/

:)

Edited by antibiotictab

^^^In that case, now would be the perfect time to shamelessly rip off Macross Plus. And considering this will be an American production, I am expecting a lot of large breasted freckled blondes to be in it...

• 4 weeks later...