Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

Yeah, if I squint, I can see that. :lol: My avatar is a custom LEGO VF-4...my version is light gray with dark blue and dark gray accents, b/c I like those colors, and b/c I didn't have enough white parts when I built it. Pics, if you're interested. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and pg 2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/95379588@N08/page1

Concerning the 262's transformation, while the thought that the arms may store along or inside the leg is practical, I really hope they form the upper and lower central fuselage with the gunpod and vertical stab. It would make the engineering that much more impressive, and I love it in any transforming design when every major part of the robot forms part of the alt mode seamlessly. This is already a beautiful and interesting valk; I hope Kawamori-san brought his engineering A-game to the table when hammering out this design.

How is that transforming lego even possible!! Does anyone know how to do it, ie is there a manual or what needs to be bought to create a transforming lego? B))

Thanks! With sweet-talkin' like that, perhaps I will. ^_^ Kidding aside, I sincerely appreciate the compliment, ArchieNov.

I consider myself a very mediocre talent at best compared to folks like Peter Morris, Tyler Clites, Brian Cooper, Mark Stafford, rong_Yiren, Sean and Steph Mayo, Alice Finch, and on and on. There's a LEGO convention held in Seattle every year called BrickCon where AFOLs like me bring their creations for a 2 day public display. Every year, I'm blown away by the sheer creativity that people are capable of. Oh, I forgot to mention a fellow named Erik Hagsved- check out his huge LEGO transforming Optimus Prime; I've seen it in person, and it's extremely impressive. https://www.flickr.com/photos/epsilon-eta

Wmkjr, thanks for the vote of confidence. As with all of Kawamori-san's designs, I take a lot of inspiration and ideas, and I'm hoping the -262 will be unique and interesting in its transformation scheme, as I may find something there that I can translate into brick.

:blink: That Lego Optimus Prime looks like it has got even more mechanical detail than your standard Transformer toy. But man, it's HUGE! It looks like it's over 2 feet tall. And does it do a perfect transformation too? Holy cow that is truly impressive.

Thanks! With sweet-talkin' like that, perhaps I will. ^_^ Kidding aside, I sincerely appreciate the compliment, ArchieNov.

I consider myself a very mediocre talent at best compared to folks like Peter Morris, Tyler Clites, Brian Cooper, Mark Stafford, rong_Yiren, Sean and Steph Mayo, Alice Finch, and on and on. There's a LEGO convention held in Seattle every year called BrickCon where AFOLs like me bring their creations for a 2 day public display. Every year, I'm blown away by the sheer creativity that people are capable of. Oh, I forgot to mention a fellow named Erik Hagsved- check out his huge LEGO transforming Optimus Prime; I've seen it in person, and it's extremely impressive. https://www.flickr.com/photos/epsilon-eta

Wmkjr, thanks for the vote of confidence. As with all of Kawamori-san's designs, I take a lot of inspiration and ideas, and I'm hoping the -262 will be unique and interesting in its transformation scheme, as I may find something there that I can translate into brick.

The gerwalk looks great on that Lego VF-4.

Bwahaha! Keep it irie mon!

Lol Jah provides!

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Mazinger, there is a LEGO thread somewhere around here, but nobody's posted in it for quite some time. There's a dedicated LEGO Macross Flickr group, as well( some neat stuff, none of it mine :lol: ). My Classic Space Konig was a labor of love most of last year, and unfortunately, the final product couldn't handle the weight of the backpack, and just went ass over tea-kettle without a stand, which means I need to redesign the entire waist and upper leg area, or minimize the backpack area. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it. It's a big blue and gray paperweight right now, but I'm glad you like it. :D I'm thinking about building a Classic Space ship in two parts, a la the Legioss and Tread, fully variable. Taking some inspiration from Steel Battalion designs. I haven't gotten far with it yet, but I'm still testing ideas.

Back to the 262, I was thinking, if the arms are indeed centrally located (like I hope they are) with the stab and gunpod, Bandai may have 'borrowed' Yamato's & Arcadia's VF/YF-19 sliding arm solution to enable the arms to be positioned so far from where we believe the shoulders to be. I wish they'd just show us the battroid already...I'm not getting any younger, and I need more battroid in my life... B))

Iirc, ChaoticYeti has Lego adapters for his stands ; )

About the possible transformation, which now takes up most of my daydreaming time, if the arms and legs are really the rear central pieces, would g-mode look a bit unbalanced because of the big empty space between what would be left of the wings? Wonder if the delta flaps flip over? Btw, thanks for providing the color-coded overlays, Scyla!

Edited by McFly!!

About the possible transformation, which now takes up most of my daydreaming time, if the arms and legs are really the rear central pieces, would g-mode look a bit unbalanced because of the big empty space between what would be left of the wings? Wonder if the delta flaps flip over? Btw, thanks for providing the color-coded overlays, Scyla!

Not only will the legs make a big hole in the wing area, but the shoulders as well, if they rotate out of their fighter position. In my mind's eye, it looks wonky. Glad I'm not a G-mode fan. I just hope the battroid is cool. A Q-Rau influence would be alright, but I hope this thing is for the most-part unique among the previous valk designs.

How is that transforming lego even possible!! Does anyone know how to do it, ie is there a manual or what needs to be bought to create a transforming lego? B))

Lots of trial and error, a complete rebuild of the upper body, and at least two revisions. :D Unfortunately, I never built the whole thing in LDD, or it would be possible to provide building instructions. As it is, it's a one of a kind, and if it ever falls on the floor and shatters, I'd have to rebuild it from memory....dicey chance at best of putting it back together the way it was. My memory sucks.

The gerwalk looks great on that Lego VF-4.

Thanks, Mommar. Last year at BrickCon, there was a guy with his family just making his way around the tables, and he recognized my VF-4 for what it was (not many folks familiar with Macross beyond the VF-1) so I was pleasantly surprised. After talking to him for a moment, he mentioned that GERWALK is his favorite mode; at the time, I had my LEGO version in battroid for display. Well, there was quite a crowd, quite a lot yet to see, and he moved on. I went ahead and transformed my VF-4 into GERWALK, and after several minutes of searching, I found him and tapped him on the shoulder. When he turned around and saw it in all its GERWALK-y goodness, 20 years melted off him and he was just a happy kid again in that moment. It was one of the most rewarding moments I've ever had, just a great experience. ^_^

Since Variable Glaug is a bit of a Macross Grail toy, it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if this shared some attributes. But, I doubt it, since the transformation is already quite different...I'm also in the YF-21ish look camp, or possibly SV-51. Or a mix of both.

I wonder how long they're going to keep the other two modes under wraps? You know somebody at Bandai is dying to bust out some pics. If I was a designer, it'd be tough to sit on a new valk design, esp if it really is that different from its predecessors, and the toy turned out really well. But then again, maybe it didn't...and they're buying time for redesigns. :o:lol:

At least a couple versions of a variable Glaug already exist though.

Since Variable Glaug is a bit of a Macross Grail toy, it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if this shared some attributes. But, I doubt it, since the transformation is already quite different...I'm also in the YF-21ish look camp, or possibly SV-51. Or a mix of both.

I wonder how long they're going to keep the other two modes under wraps? You know somebody at Bandai is dying to bust out some pics. If I was a designer, it'd be tough to sit on a new valk design, esp if it really is that different from its predecessors, and the toy turned out really well. But then again, maybe it didn't...and they're buying time for redesigns. :o:lol:

Whoa, whoa, hold on, guys... There's already a variable glaug toy? A couple versions?

Lol sorry mixed my wishful thinking into that XD carry on

Edited by McFly!!

Well, I 've been hoping for an update in this thread, esp those of the battroid reveal variety, but even my own perusals have turned up nothing new.

However, I was paging through my Macross Design Works, and happened to notice that a couple of Kawamori's early sketches for what would become the VF-11 MAXL resembled the Draken. But then, they also look like they're taking inspiration from the YF-21, too. Interestingly, it also looks like he was thinking of giving the MAXL a large intake scoop on the bottom, and in some sketches, top and bottom of the fighter mode. It would have been interesting if Mylene's ride had more in common with Boeing's YF-32, if only for variety's sake. The -32 is an eyesore, IMHO.

Well, I 've been hoping for an update in this thread, esp those of the battroid reveal variety, but even my own perusals have turned up nothing new.

However, I was paging through my Macross Design Works, and happened to notice that a couple of Kawamori's early sketches for what would become the VF-11 MAXL resembled the Draken. But then, they also look like they're taking inspiration from the YF-21, too. Interestingly, it also looks like he was thinking of giving the MAXL a large intake scoop on the bottom, and in some sketches, top and bottom of the fighter mode. It would have been interesting if Mylene's ride had more in common with Boeing's YF-32, if only for variety's sake. The -32 is an eyesore, IMHO.

Any scans we could look at?

I really need to get that book, there's some cool stuff in there.

It actually looks like he was starting from a 22 or a 19 before finally settling on the 11 configuration. I kinda like that Phantom-like scoop on the bottom of a few of those. I wish Kawamori would give a design like that a go again.

Salute to M'Kyuun and Saburo! ;)

My face turneth red. :lol:

Thank you. You should post more of your Lego creations, that Mecha Transport plane is awesome!

Thanks. That was my project this year...I worked on it off and on from about March until September. A transformable VTOL with true cargo capability has been on my to-do list for a long time, and that cockpit piece was my starting point. It turned out ok, although I wish some of the joints were more robust. When I started, the knee joints would hold the engines straight up and down...after flexing them all summer during the building process, not to mention probably around 20 times for actual transformation, I have to keep them angled back or else they just droop. They hold up ok in bot mode, but I have to play around with the leg and feet positions to keep him standing, esp if I have cargo installed in the backpack. It becomes a balancing act. B/c the legs are so heavy, the little clicky joints I used to attach the hip-block swing bars almost always involuntarily separate. If I had the tech and the know-how, I'd produce my own LEGO-compatible joints with varying degrees of tension and size. But it is what it is, and I do what I can within the limited confines of the official product. It's part of the challenge.

Right now, I'm working on what I hope will be a successful Variable Glaug. The knee joint is an interesting design, and nigh impossible to pull off with LEGO as drawn, esp if I want to keep the size down to minifig scale. Everything shifts places on that thing, depending on its configuration, so it poses quite a challenge to make it work, hide the mechanisms that make it work, make it solid, retain functionality in every mode, and maintain the aesthetics as close to the artwork as possible.

I really need to get that book, there's some cool stuff in there.

It actually looks like he was starting from a 22 or a 19 before finally settling on the 11 configuration. I kinda like that Phantom-like scoop on the bottom of a few of those. I wish Kawamori would give a design like that a go again.

I was also thinking there was a little A-7 Corsair influence in some of those designs, with that lower scoop. Personally, I think the lovely F-16 would have been an apropos plane to use for the basis of a 'female' valk; it's a petite, curvy, agile aircraft that can bring a lot of tooth and nail to the fight. When I worked B-1s at Mt. Home, we used to joke about mounting an F-16 to each wing as guided missiles. :lol:

McFly!, don't hold your breath for that Variable Glaug- I build at a glacial pace, and I'd feel terrible if a fellow MWer died from anticipation of my making. ;)

Fly-by :lol: Too funny!

McFly!, don't hold your breath for that Variable Glaug- I build at a glacial pace, and I'd feel terrible if a fellow MWer died from anticipation of my making. ;)

Fly-by :lol: Too funny!

Lol no pressure! We've got all the bandai releases to distract us in the meantime =)

• 5 weeks later...

Very cool. Hope it comes with a glass cockpit though.

i dont believe there will be a glass cockpit, i thk it was mentioned somewhere before..

The gunpod looks quite chunky and wide too, from the bottom of the front view pic.

it looks flat on one side with a so called 'tail'? on the other. Wonder if the tail would end up as the housing for the trigger/gun butt...