VF-171 Nightmare Plus CF

seti88

It will happen and it will have exploding legs this time.

lol

My CF had crumbling NUNS triangles from day one and after a whole year in storage, I took it out today and the left knee just fell apart!

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones though as it seems to work just fine now, after carefully applying some superglue to the joint.

And even though I love the design of the damn thing, IMHO it is sooo fitting that it's called a Nightmare.

I hope if Bandai does this toy, they'll fix the problems the toy had. I don't know if the problems were design flaws, material flaws, or manufacturing flaws, but they are annoying enough to hear about. I personally haven't had any problems, but I feel for everyone who has (I have a first run Yamato VF-0A that had the exploding shoulders, and well, has turned to a runny mess, so I feel for you folks).

I hope if Bandai does this toy, they'll fix the problems the toy had. I don't know if the problems were design flaws, material flaws, or manufacturing flaws, but they are annoying enough to hear about. I personally haven't had any problems, but I feel for everyone who has (I have a first run Yamato VF-0A that had the exploding shoulders, and well, has turned to a runny mess, so I feel for you folks).

Only the green CF had probblems. The other three white colored EX releases have all been fine.

The triangles were mostly issues with tolerancing from what I can tell. Apparently the tolerances for the CF were relaxed compared with the Alto version, and we all paid the price for their lack of understanding just how important it is to mold those types of parts accurately..

The legs though? Those are a nice tidy combination of terrible design, bad materials, and inadequate operating instructions. I don't need to go into the details again, and there are ways to mitigate the problems, but they're just a rotten piece of engineering.

I don't think there is any difference between the legs on the CF and any other release, either. The tighter tolerances may have helped the Alto release, but I've examined all the legs on every version I have, and they all have fractures forming in the knee casings.

I'm just resigned to never transforming any of them ever, until I find a way to make new knee joints from scratch, and also find a way to replace them without entirely destroying the existing glue-sandwich of a leg. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

I think it's more the plastic used on the CF's as well. They broke apart like nothing. Zero of my Alto,Maruyama,Luca 171's have any QC issues at all, and I do have a lot of them.

Kinda sucks I had to get shapeways replacements for all my Battroid / gerwalk CF 171's while the good shoulders and triangles were given to the fighters

The triangles were mostly issues with tolerancing from what I can tell. Apparently the tolerances for the CF were relaxed compared with the Alto version, and we all paid the price for their lack of understanding just how important it is to mold those types of parts accurately..

The legs though? Those are a nice tidy combination of terrible design, bad materials, and inadequate operating instructions. I don't need to go into the details again, and there are ways to mitigate the problems, but they're just a rotten piece of engineering.

I don't think there is any difference between the legs on the CF and any other release, either. The tighter tolerances may have helped the Alto release, but I've examined all the legs on every version I have, and they all have fractures forming in the knee casings.

I'm just resigned to never transforming any of them ever, until I find a way to make new knee joints from scratch, and also find a way to replace them without entirely destroying the existing glue-sandwich of a leg. <_<

I like the idea behind the rotation joint in the legs. The execution not so much... ^_^

Only the green CF had probblems. The other three white colored EX releases have all been fine.

Right, which is why I got the Alto, even though I'd have preferred the CF version. I did my research before buying. Still those of you who had issues I feel for you. I hope if they do a Delta brownie version I hope they do it up renewal style and fix the issues, as well as maybe improving some things.

After getting shapeways replacements i enjoy CF 171's much more. Pretty much I took the triangles off all the gerwalk and battroid units and gave the unbroken triangles / shoulders to my fighter moded valks since they're the only ones where it really matters aesthetically.

If anyone knows how bad the QC on these guys were it's probably me :0 I've seen pretty much every possible plastic piece that's not green-colored break on these bastards. I assume the contractor/factory that Bandai used for the CF's tried to cheat them by cheaping out on the same good plastics used on the Alto/Luca/Maruyama

People prolly think I'm crazy for having this many CF's despite the QC issues. I just got two more like last month thanks to "Kanedas Bike" and I rehabbed them and put them in my display hehe.

Honestly I don't think I'll ever do such an expensive army build again for many years.......at least until they release a non itasha grey VF-171ex or a delta Browny CF

post-25-0-04703800-1461929028_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-51315700-1461929022_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-61743000-1461929025_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-73565900-1461929019_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-18816300-1461929017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

thanks for the comments guys :D

Oh, FYI, if you want super parts for your RVF-171 or VF-171 Alto, they are the cheapest they've ever been, less than 35 USD before shipping.

You can even just buy them for the missiles to put on your YF-30 or VF-19

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1021564127&ref=list

Edited by Duymon

I am speechless! That's the most impressive 171 stacking ever!

The 171 CF is quite unique for having a sexier canopy than the hero valks, and a nicer armament bundle also!

Don't let Xigfrid & his cute little Vajra anywhere near your collection. That one little guy'll wipe them out!

thanks for the comments guys :D

Oh, FYI, if you want super parts for your RVF-171 or VF-171 Alto, they are the cheapest they've ever been, less than 35 USD before shipping.

You can even just buy them for the missiles to put on your YF-30 or VF-19

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1021564127&ref=list

How does a fella here in the US buy from here?

Edited by warrhead

How does a fella here in the US buy from here?

They ship internationally and take payment via Paypal.

Choose SAL shipping. I paid like 10 bucks for shipping from US for a single Armored pack. less than $45 shipped felt like a steal.

It says sold out... it took me too long to figure out I guess...

THey got two more left at other branches.

Go for the Spot-sale items. They are insta-sell and guaranteed. The store-front might be sold out in the store before they fulfill your order.

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1025399907&ref=list

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1037109137&ref=dos

Edited by Duymon

THey got two more left at other branches.

Go for the Spot-sale items. They are insta-sell and guaranteed. The store-front might be sold out in the store before they fulfill your order.

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1025399907&ref=list

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1037109137&ref=dos

How do you find the spot sale items?

How do you find the spot sale items?

Weirldy their search is all messed up so the filter doesn't work. However, if you see "in stock" instead of "store front item" it means you can buy it instantly like any other web store.

Well Duymon is right, but when I was searching for my YF-25, I saw that the Sahra branch list only Spot sale items, so you can use that branch when you are searching.

Also i have a question, how ban is the triangle problem for the transformation of the 171? I mean I am already searching in Shapeways and even if I buy one and the triangles explode it seems somewhat easy to fix with new triangles, so is there any other problem even if the triangles explode and you replace them?

Well Duymon is right, but when I was searching for my YF-25, I saw that the Sahra branch list only Spot sale items, so you can use that branch when you are searching.

Also i have a question, how ban is the triangle problem for the transformation of the 171? I mean I am already searching in Shapeways and even if I buy one and the triangles explode it seems somewhat easy to fix with new triangles, so is there any other problem even if the triangles explode and you replace them?

The leg problem gets worse with handling. Deploying the legs out of fighter mode puts A LOT of stress on the joint because you have to pull the legs off the super tight pegs by pretty much pulling the lower leg. There's just not enough space / leverage to pull the thighs out by only touching the thighs.

Out of 12 CF's 4 have shattered legs. Those are the four you see in fighter mode in my collection pic :( 1 in 3 is not good odds

:0

I would be in for a DX update that fixes all these issues.

I'd be even more interested in sturdy HMR version, though I won't hold my breath for that.

Edited by Mazinger

Some people have reported the legs crumbling. More info can be had in the VF-171 CF thread:http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37652

Thanks wmkjr that was a lot of help and is also another good display of photos of the VF-171

The leg problem gets worse with handling. Deploying the legs out of fighter mode puts A LOT of stress on the joint because you have to pull the legs off the super tight pegs by pretty much pulling the lower leg. There's just not enough space / leverage to pull the thighs out by only touching the thighs.

Out of 12 CF's 4 have shattered legs. Those are the four you see in fighter mode in my collection pic :( 1 in 3 is not good odds

Well those are really bad odds, seems that having the CF version is more of a torture than a pleasure D:, but at least for what I have been reading in this thread and the one cited by wmkjr it seems that the Alto, Maruyama and Luca versions don't have any problem like the CF version, so it seems that they are a better choice to be my first 171.

I want to say it doesn't surprise me, but those odds are terrible. For me it's only been one of two that had a shattered leg, so higher percentage, but lower number.

I'm really careful with all of these now, and really haven't transformed them except to inspect the knees to see if there are any cracks. That metallic plastic is really sketchy, and when I saw what looked like a fracture starting on one of the plastic flow lines on my Luca 171, I put it back in fighter and left it.