1/60 V.2 Max and Miria VF-1J's

Archer

Alright, so this is something that has been bugging me for a while. I understand that things like Elintseekers and Super Ostrich's are rare in the 1/60 V.2 series, but why are the 1/60 Max and Miria unit's even rarer? imho, they are two iconic valks that are just as important as even Hikaru's VF-1J (which there are plenty of, and already getting reissued).

On that note, it's even of greater concern to me that prices for Max are soaring abot $600 whilst valks such as TV Skull Leader, Hikaru's VF-1J, and the VF-1D, all of which were available at great numbers at launch, are already getting reissued while Max and Miria are ignored, even with their limited first release.

I apologize if this sounds kind of ranty, but I was honestly wondering why this is...? Can anyone fill me in as to why reissues for Max and Miria don't come, or even why the original release was so limited?

Thanks!

Might have something to do with the last reissue of the M&Ms in 1/48 scale which were gigantic shelf warmers... Yamato might be gun shy now. They might also be trying to figure out how to make it so the paint isn't so easily scratched off around the shoulders.

One of the reasons the [toy] VF1J Max was so popular among fans was that there weren't many other iterations of his valkyries. Yamato's 1/60 got his LONG awaited TV1A, DYRL1S, the standart DYRL 1A and THEN the 1J, so people were more or less drowned by his valkyries at that point.

Moreover, Max doesn't appear to be as popular in Japan as he is in the US territory, judging by his roles in DYRL and M7....

Are M&M 1/48's still out there for reasonable prices? I have the max and wouldn't mind the Miria. I love the 1/48's

Is $200 reasonable? That was what I paid for each and it looks like they're going for that price again after being under $150 shipped awhile ago. Still totally worth it since they're so beautiful.

Is $200 reasonable? That was what I paid for each and it looks like they're going for that price again after being under $150 shipped awhile ago. Still totally worth it since they're so beautiful.

That's what I paid... $200 for a valk with super parts is definitely reasonable seeing as how the sets you can still find for sale at various stores (Hikaru super VF-1J, Super TV Roy VF-1S, etc.) go for about that much.

Going back to Archer's original post though, and yeah, I've seen Elintseekers on sale more often than I've seen MM VF-1J's... If super/strike reissues do occur, I suspect they'll be around or over $200 shipped seeing as how the announced reissues are all at $150 shipped already.

One of the reasons the [toy] VF1J Max was so popular among fans was that there weren't many other iterations of his valkyries. Yamato's 1/60 got his LONG awaited TV1A, DYRL1S, the standart DYRL 1A and THEN the 1J, so people were more or less drowned by his valkyries at that point.

Moreover, Max doesn't appear to be as popular in Japan as he is in the US territory, judging by his roles in DYRL and M7....

That's one of the weird things between our two countries, and especially a bummer because the show cannot be exported to other countries. The tastes of the Japanese are what's catered to and for whatever reason they never latched on to Max like Americans did. Unfortunately that means our favorites aren't necessarily represented because we don't matter.

He's the captain of a Macross ship.

And he and Milia got an entire video game devoted to them (with Moaramia too~)

Are you guys sure it's not just because they're supporting characters?

Having watched the entirety of M7, he never really did anything besides episodes 44-45 and the ending battle. Miria saw a little more action throughout the series, yet her VF22S did not transform at all in the series [it only did so on the other special episodes].

Can only speak for myself, but if I have cash when they're available, I'm only getting Max's 1J. No real interest in Miria's.

He's the captain of a Macross ship.

And he and Milia got an entire video game devoted to them (with Moaramia too~)

Are you guys sure it's not just because they're supporting characters?

And yet their toys aren't made in the same quantity and don't generally sell as well. So starring in a video game didn't do anything for them. Or being at the helm of a capital ship.

In addition, Max twice defeated the best pilot in the fleet, got her to fall in love with him and they were the first inter-species couple to marry and have a kid, which was put on display to freak out their enemies. The story may have been about other people but they were more then just supporting.

And yet their toys aren't made in the same quantity and don't generally sell as well.

maybe people don't like blue and red robots

The story may have been about other people but they were more then just supporting.

I don't think you know what a supporting character is

Thanks for the answers you guys. Do you think a reissue may be possible? The Max -IJ is my favorite valk that I've been infatuated (probably my number 1 paint scheme) but I can't find any at a reasonable price. Even here, I can see many without one in their collection.

As of now, I don't have any V.2 1/60's in my collection, so I wanted to pick up at least one, so I was looking out for a reissue....

Actually.. given the re-releases coming with the additional parts, I think it's very likely we'll get another run of the M&Ms. What I don't remember though is whether the baby pod was ever shown by Yamato. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it displayed along with the VF-1J kit, but I don't know if they ever said it will be produced, or if that was just a prototype.

Anyway, if Yamato does release that particular part, it can really only go with Miria's VF-1J, and it'd be incredibly dumb not to reissue both of them together.

Edited by Chronocidal

By the way, for those worried about scratching the shoulder tabs, you can easily file down the bumps that cause it. It really doesn't have any effect on the transformation, or how it locks together, but filing down the nubs under the chest plate can go a long way to saving the paint there. Even if you filed them completely off, I don't think they would fall apart.

Out of all the v.2 1/60s I got, I think these are the only two I actually pre-ordered, and I'm glad I did in hindsight. I don't recall exactly why, but I think it was just because I've had an attachment to the red/blue VF-1Js ever since I was a little kid and got my original Joke Machines. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

By the way, for those worried about scratching the shoulder tabs, you can easily file down the bumps that cause it. It really doesn't have any effect on the transformation, or how it locks together, but filing down the nubs under the chest plate can go a long way to saving the paint there. Even if you filed them completely off, I don't think they would fall apart.

Out of all the v.2 1/60s I got, I think these are the only two I actually pre-ordered, and I'm glad I did in hindsight. I don't recall exactly why, but I think it was just because I've had an attachment to the red/blue VF-1Js ever since I was a little kid and got my original Joke Machines. ^_^

One thing I noticed on my Milia which I hadn't considered before. If you bend the knee too deeply in Gerwalk you can also scrape the white paint off at the knees. I found a few spots missing on her legs. luckily my Max has not suffered the same fate.

Those white paints on M&M are painted on except the upper arms, legs, nose cone and hands. Yamato has done a great job in V2 VF-1, but I wish they could have broken down more parts on those white area so that those can be individually molded in white plastic. I guess that will increase costs in return, so I'm good with current set up.

So wait, the white is what's painted on in the Max/Miria sets?

Also, I guess I'll just be patient and wait for a reissue on these things. I'm in no hurry, nor do I want to fall for the crazy rage that I see in the Vf-171 forums nowadays. Yamato is pretty good about reissues, so I'll just wait till then...

Nah, those are standard military markings, it's something they actually did right. Those lines highlight the point where the compressor section is, sort of a "stand clear of this area if you can" marking. On high-vis paintschemes, they're painted in red, but on low-vis they're usually a dark gray. They went with gray to avoid blending into the red paint, but it is a color that's used on actual aircraft. ^_^

Unless you're talking about the actual animation, in which case they might have been blue anyway. :lol:

Yamato's made that stripe grey on Milia's since their old v1 VF-1. 1/48 was like that too. It's one of those "depends on the animators that day" things, like the head cannons (red vs grey vs steel).

IIRC Yamato have stated that, because of that “depends of the animators that day”, they don’t follow animation but line art. Now I have to ask which that line art is.

That's just crazy. I wonder if some of those HK sellers who mark up prices on these things like crazy actually believe they will sell. I mean, there is a threshold you can cross from "hoping to make a profit" to "hoping some random dude who knows nothing about these toys will blindly drop a grand", and I don't know too many people who fall in the latter category.