Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks guys... I feel that I made a couple of mistakes, near the end too, that just kinda marred it a bit. Most of my builds are generally a little bit smaller. Its odd to think how large the F-14 actually is compared to the hornet, the F-16 or other fighters... which caused some complications when I reached the final phase of the build.

I worked on the Tomcats in real life and i can tell you they were quite a bit bigger than the hornets....even a super hornet engine could easily fit inside a GE 400 from a F-14B or D.

Blue B))

just picked up this awesome HASEGAWA 1988 1/72 edition of my favorite real-world aircraft since childhood,

for $27.00 shipped, $7.00 cheaper than the far more recent edition of the exact same kit, available at my local hobby shop,

that i've been mulling over for the last couple months or so now;

Hasegawa1-72ScaleGrummanF-14ATomcatUSNavyAtlanticFleetSquadrons1.jpg

Hasegawa1-72ScaleGrummanF-14ATomcatUSNavyAtlanticFleetSquadrons2.jpg

Hasegawa1-72ScaleGrummanF-14ATomcatUSNavyAtlanticFleetSquadrons3.jpg

Hasegawa1-72ScaleGrummanF-14ATomcatUSNavyAtlanticFleetSquadrons4.jpg

this will be the first time i have touched a real-world fighter aircraft kit since the late 1990s,

and the first time i have ever touched one of a top-quality Japanese make, for that matter.

(one of the tiny handful, and very last fighter jet model i ever attempted, was a late-80's-edition REVELL jumbo-size 1/32 F-14,

bought for me by my parents on clearance from the local PAY-LESS, going out of business, for around $10.00 or so,

and i had built it up into my own non-canon concept of a U.N. SPACY F-14 variant.

-i had that thing for years, but it got disposed of during my last move,

and i've no photos. that said, it wasn't particuarly well done anyway.)

this HASEGAWA, needless to say, is much smaller, and promises to be far more manageable,

yet a far more complex build, than that REVELL 1/32 ever was.

that said, regardless, i feel i am up to the task of finishing it in a nice JOLLY ROGERS VF-84 scheme,

as the decal sheet clearly allows for...

Excellent purchase! I just built one, if you look back a page. If you've built a 1/32 aircraft, this one should not be too much a challenge... the only suggestion I'd make is to consider buying an Aires exhaust for the kit as the OOB one isn't the best.

I hope you enjoy it, its a great kit.

I worked on the Tomcats in real life and i can tell you they were quite a bit bigger than the hornets....even a super hornet engine could easily fit inside a GE 400 from a F-14B or D.

Blue B))

Sweet... I was worried that I overdid the nose with weathering, but your comment put me at ease.

Thanks again.

All this talk about building tomcats has got me inspired to start a build of one that i hold dear to me.

I actually served in this squadron from 1994- 1998 so i about fell over when i came across this in the local hobby shop.

my f-14 model

VF 143 F 14 front gate Nas Oceana

I have to say it will be different painting it in this scale vs painting the actual aircraft in real life. (didnt have to add the dirt, hyd fluid, oil or grease to that paint job)

I'm actually considering painting the vf-1's non-assembled/no paint in a slightly modified paint scheme from this squadron as well as 1 from each of the 3 squadrons i served in during my time in the navy. Pics below..

Blue B))

Edited by Iceblue106

All this talk about building tomcats has got me inspired to start a build of one that i hold dear to me.

I actually served in this squadron from 1994- 1998 so i about fell over when i came across this in the local hobby shop.

I have to say it will be different painting it in this scale vs painting the actual aircraft in real life. (didnt have to add the dirt, hyd fluid, oil or grease to that paint job)

I'm actually considering painting the vf-1's non-assembled/no paint in a slightly modified paint scheme from this squadron as well as 1 from each of the 3 squadrons i served in during my time in the navy. Pics below..

Blue B))

WOW... :o

oh, and BTW, i was bored the other day a couple weeks back,

and decided to pull this old thing out and spruce it up a little bit, mostly via a lot of decal work and parts-refitting. still looks like total A$$, though...

IMAIBANDAI1-72VF-1SFOCKERJOHN3-7-121.jpg

IMAIBANDAI1-72VF-1SFOCKERJOHN3-7-122.jpg

IMAIBANDAI1-72VF-1SFOCKERJOHN3-7-123.jpg

and i haven't forgotten about that EXCELSIOR build i'm working on, either. still PLENTY ways to go on it yet before i'm satisfied;

USSEXCELSIOR1-15003-7-121.jpg

USSEXCELSIOR1-15003-7-122.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Shaorin's VF-1S looks WAAAaaaay better than my 25+ year old "yellow" edition. Mine got a lot of wear and tear over the years and has several thousand real miles on it traveling all over the world B)) Not to mention all the joints are now loosy goosey! - MT

I like the stand for your EXCELSIOR, are those Technic lego's? B))

yep, i had to improvise, as i got the kit on the cheap 'cause it had been "started, but looks complete"

well, it was complete, all right, save for the cradle-type stand it originally came with.

would have been a non-issue had i indended to hang the model from the ceiling or the like,

but intending to display it as a desk model that i could pick up and admire at will,

i was natually quite miffed by the absence of the model's stand assembly.

that is, until i improvised, anyway...

also, BTW, i just picked up this solid brass "ALFA and AoA" nose-sensor PITOT pair

for that HASEGAWA F-14 mentioned above;

AM-72-007_1.jpg

-i dunno how long it'll take to reach me, as it's coming from Britainnia, but the model proper will be arriving by tomorrow or the day after,

so says the seller...

just arrived this morning!! damn, that was fast!! :D

DSC_6054.jpg

i imagine that that brass PITOT set will be taking at least two weeks, being shipped from Europe and all,

but i'm certain that i won't even have the model half completed by then, so no worries... :)

**** ADDENDUM ****

i'm a bit miffed now, after going through the manual, that it appears that the model is meant to be built

with the swing wings in an OPTIONAL spread OR folded mode.

what the hell's up with that? this seems to be an EXQUISITE kit, in every imaginable way, EXCEPT for that facepalming little niggle.

on the upside, the wings DO APPEAR to have TINY rotational points, that mate to TINY pins in the fuselage,

that MAY allow for full swing-wing movement, if assembled slightly differently from what the manual dictates.

STILL, there is no gearing system to speak of, so even if i was actually ABLE to effect functional swing wings,

they would NOT be able to fold/spread in tandem.

so, what exactly might the meaning of this nonsense actually be?

a cheap and dirty means in which for HASEGAWA to encouage the customer to opt for the larger/more expensive 1/48 editions?

or are even those kits hampered by such a silly limitation?

anyone have any explanations? fellow member "Nuyhauser" perhaps?

Edited by Shaorin

LOL! I just got mine in the mail as well! can't wait to start! Of course I just HAD to get the Viper Mark II as well... :lol:

Awesome!! Its a pretty simple kit as theres not cockpit, pilot or decals for this one. Mines almost done with a Aluminum plate finish, dark grey where noted and probably some serious weathering.

When your MKII is finished it can go Toaster hunting!! :lol:

well, those swing-wings are definitely NOT functional. fairly cheesy, IMHO. i'll just opt to have them spread. :mellow:

otherwise, the kit looks like it'll build FANTASTIC,and in the perfect size, at that, not too big nor small... :)

Who needs Yamato???!!! Finished my 1:100 Phalanx today! Was gonna weather him but just can't bring myself to do it. He's tooo pretty! I usually do NOT do well with Macross kits---especially old ones---but I'm really pleased with how this little guy turned out! This also represents my first kit using almost all acrylic paints---which I'm still not in love with over enamels, but they are SO much easier to airbrush quickly and cleanup! Not everyone's favorite Destroid to be sure...but I've always liked him! Enjoy..

post-11393-0-13397000-1331424232_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-99333100-1331424248_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-18637600-1331424256_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-82571200-1331424271_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-68660600-1331424284_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-05796200-1331424294_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-44528000-1331424300_thumb.jpg

i'm a bit miffed now, after going through the manual, that it appears that the model is meant to be built

with the swing wings in an OPTIONAL spread OR folded mode.

on the upside, the wings DO APPEAR to have TINY rotational points, that mate to TINY pins in the fuselage,

that MAY allow for full swing-wing movement, if assembled slightly differently from what the manual dictates.

STILL, there is no gearing system to speak of, so even if i was actually ABLE to effect functional swing wings,

they would NOT be able to fold/spread in tandem.

anyone have any explanations? fellow member "Nuyhauser" perhaps?

Pretty much---either flaps up and wings in, or flaps down and wings out. Now, as you noticed, there is a possible compromise---build them flaps up, and cut one of the pins to get it out of the way, and be sure to install the "wings back" version of the inflatable bag seal to provide room. It is then possible to put the wings in either position--you can't actually sweep them, you have to pull the wings out and re-insert them at the other angle every time you change, and you can't do any intermediate position. But you can change between full-forward and full-back. Don't rely on round pins at all, as they will not rotate no matter what you do (without destroying the integrity of the fuselage). But do use the longer oval/rectangle pins to "align" the wings.

PS---the 1/48 has legendary fit issues with the intakes and gear wells, so don't feel too "slighted".

Thanks guys, my next build of a Raider will be Scar, gotta give him some props. As for the painting I used a really simple Aluminum spray paint that when it dries has almost a hammered look to it (Don't have the can in front of me) and it gives it a rippled look like the Raiders had on the show. The instructions for this kit are not very good compared to past Moebius kits, those of you who have one know what I mean. anything that should be dark or light grey I actually used acrylic paints and then applied a dirty orange wash (What is that? I used RIT Dye orange, tan and some yellow). by doing this it took some of the greys off for a extra worn look.

Mix it up with a little bit of warm water and apply with a brush, let it sit for a minute or so and then dab it with a light towel, you'll have to do this a few times in some areas, when its all dry and the way you like it, give it a few coats of clear coat and your ready to roll. This Raider reminds of the one Starbuck rammed into and flies back to Galactica.

Also, I had my Homer Simpson moment with the instructions on the clear visor as it looks like the piece goes inside the cockpit... Nope it goes on the outside so do not clip the those tiny parts of plastic off, cause they really seem as if they should be removed. A clear red paint works well, though if you have red dye use that.

Also, my buddy at the hobby shop said early summer unless things change the Pegasus will be out.... Frak ya!! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

Pretty much---either flaps up and wings in, or flaps down and wings out. Now, as you noticed, there is a possible compromise---build them flaps up, and cut one of the pins to get it out of the way, and be sure to install the "wings back" version of the inflatable bag seal to provide room. It is then possible to put the wings in either position--you can't actually sweep them, you have to pull the wings out and re-insert them at the other angle every time you change, and you can't do any intermediate position. But you can change between full-forward and full-back. Don't rely on round pins at all, as they will not rotate no matter what you do (without destroying the integrity of the fuselage). But do use the longer oval/rectangle pins to "align" the wings.

PS---the 1/48 has legendary fit issues with the intakes and gear wells, so don't feel too "slighted".

As David said, the kit gives you the option of wings extended of swept. Even the Fujimi kit, with a geared system and a single rotational point, can't actually be moved once set (due to the air bladders).

In addition, it is rare for the F-14 to have its wings extended and flaps out in any situation but during take off and landing (IIRC). That's why my F-14A is crewed and ready for launch. Usually the wings are swept, so to save space.

BTW these things seem to be multiplying like rabbits.

5A18.jpg

5A19.jpg

5A20.jpg

Thanks Peter! Love those F-16s Noyhauser, such a sexy little fighter!

Hey Derex, this the paint I used. It was at my local hardware store. Made by Plasti-kote and it is Aluminum. This stuff is awesome as it dries really fast!!

post-6180-0-82615400-1331657664_thumb.jpg