So I just got back from Beijing. Now, at home in Pittsburgh, there's basically nowhere to buy Gunpla and I get most of my stuff from Amazon. I found a shop on Gulou East Street, though, that had a ton of cool stuff including a TON of Gunpla. I wound up picking up the HGUC Revive Qubeley, HGUC Hyaku Shiki, RG 00 Qan [T], RG Skygrapser, and the HG Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt (manga version).

So I just got back from Beijing. Now, at home in Pittsburgh, there's basically nowhere to buy Gunpla and I get most of my stuff from Amazon. I found a shop on Gulou East Street, though, that had a ton of cool stuff including a TON of Gunpla. I wound up picking up the HGUC Revive Qubeley, HGUC Hyaku Shiki, RG 00 Qan [T], RG Skygrapser, and the HG Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt (manga version).

Not sure how the prices compare, but I recall that Hobbytown USA had a decent selection. It's in Robinson Town Plaza, by IKEA.

There's also a place called Hobby Xpress in Cranberry, which is a bit closer for me. I usually just get supplies there, though. Most of the time, I'll just order a few kits at a time from HLJ.

Edited by Kelsain

Not sure how the prices compare, but I recall that Hobbytown USA had a decent selection. It's in Robinson Town Plaza, by IKEA.

There's also a place called Hobby Xpress in Cranberry, which is a bit closer for me. I usually just get supplies there, though. Most of the time, I'll just order a few kits at a time from HLJ.

I found the Hobbytown selection to be ok, but their prices are a tad higher. I'll stop every time I need something at IKEA, but it's not worth the hour drive.

Good to know about the one in Cranberry. Is it close to I79? In the summer we sometimes go to Linesville (which I'm guessing you're familiar with), and Cranberry's on the way.

Good to know about the one in Cranberry. Is it close to I79? In the summer we sometimes go to Linesville (which I'm guessing you're familiar with), and Cranberry's on the way.

It's little off the highway, by Target. I think their imported model prices are a bit high, though. Last time I looked at a Cosmo Zero there, it was marked at $45.

The newer pricing at hobby town is a bit lower and more competitive if you consider not having to pay shipping.

If Hobbytown was closer I'd shop there more. But I already don't pay shipping, since I get the majority of my kits from Amazon.

Edited by mikeszekely

I have that HG RX-78 kit and couldn't help but chuckle at how excited he got about it and its inner frame because of how flawed the kit really is. For example the head has zero articulation, the frame limits articulation, the armor kind of rests on the frame not attaching to it making it prone to falling off, and because it has a core booster you can store inside it gimmick the upper half just kind of sits on the lower body making it flimsy.

All in all it feels like a very fragile kit. The system injection looks nice though.

I have that HG RX-78 kit and couldn't help but chuckle at how excited he got about it and its inner frame because of how flawed the kit really is. For example the head has zero articulation, the frame limits articulation, the armor kind of rests on the frame not attaching to it making it prone to falling off, and because it has a core booster you can store inside it gimmick the upper half just kind of sits on the lower body making it flimsy.

All in all it feels like a very fragile kit. The system injection looks nice though.

You have to take into consideration what else came out in or before 1990, when Bandai first introduced the HG line. As far as I remember, none of the 1/144 kits at that point had waist articulation. Those with movable skirt armor had at most a 20 degree forward movement. Head movement was mostly limited to a peg-and-swivel joint for some kits. And let's not forget the old Gundam 0083 kits that came out in 1991 - they went completely backwards from what HG offered a year prior.

That being said, the old HG Gundam kits were ahead of their time, as they introduced design elements that would be refined in MG, PG, and RG kits. If you're not into older kits, then the old HG line isn't for you.

On a side note, I helped Kakarot197 track down those kits.

It is from the manga and iirc, Most of the manga unit are released via P-bandai shop. So yes, it might be the next HG from GBF but chances are it will be P-bandai. (it might be using the new SF HG mold). It has that Cathedral gundam inspiration

Edited by chyll2

I've found the Barnes and Nobles in the Pitt area also sell gunpla, at least the ones at South Hills and Waterfront last I checked.

Honestly if you have amazon prime might as well order though. Another place if you don't mind the drive and want some old stuff would be Gamemaster Realm up north I79

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a thread for Bandai MB figures? It seems Bandai has this Metal Build, then there's also Robot Damashii. I think there's also SOC but there's a thread for that already. (What's the difference between SOC and DX Chogokin? Me confused.)

You have to take into consideration what else came out in or before 1990, when Bandai first introduced the HG line. As far as I remember, none of the 1/144 kits at that point had waist articulation. Those with movable skirt armor had at most a 20 degree forward movement. Head movement was mostly limited to a peg-and-swivel joint for some kits. And let's not forget the old Gundam 0083 kits that came out in 1991 - they went completely backwards from what HG offered a year prior.

That being said, the old HG Gundam kits were ahead of their time, as they introduced design elements that would be refined in MG, PG, and RG kits. If you're not into older kits, then the old HG line isn't for you.

On a side note, I helped Kakarot197 track down those kits.

Next time I go to Japan, I'd like to get all of those old HG kits as well. But I hear they command a pretty high price due to their rarity. :(

Next time I go to Japan, I'd like to get all of those old HG kits as well. But I hear they command a pretty high price due to their rarity. :(

At one point this year, the RX-78 Gundam went as high as 14,000 yen on Amazon.jp. Now it's around 3,000 yen, which is roughly three times its box price. But perhaps the rarest of the four is the ZZ, which is now sold out on Amazon.jp.