1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

I wonder what color schemes Yamato will make for VF-4. Skull Leader for sure. But how about Max and Miria edition? Even a Macross 30th Anniversary special? Maybe I am getting too far down the production line here... ^_^

I'm partial to desert cammo, myself... :D

2792987470064247675S600x600Q85.jpg

super obscure FAST packs for a super obscure Valk sounds right to me :)

The man's got a point. If you're going to go obscure, go all out with it.

On the other hand they really are just the VF-25 FAST packs.

Edited by Mommar

On thing I've noticed is that this Valk doesn't seem to have much in the way of maneuvering thrusters like the VF-1 and others. Which is kind of odd considering this is supposedly better suited for use in space.

Well, if you count all the exposed (i.e. not blocked by arms, armaments, etc.) verniers in a fighter-mode VF-1, there are only 7. The VF-4's got 8 that I can see right away, and they're all larger than the VF-1's. Might not be equal to a VF-1 with FAST packs, but looks like it shuold be superior to a regular VF-1.

That's actually what always made me wonder how the VF-4 even functions..

I did see a transformation sequence once that detailed it, but it's messy. The upper legs are basically right down the center of the wing structure, and meet the engines sideways. When they drop down, the thigh does some magical rotation and winds up pointing out of the intake. With the arms out of the way, the tops of the intakes are open, so the thigh kind of rotates into that space.

Looking at the pics a couple pages back, I think I see how it works now actually.. the thigh meets the side of the engine at about the middle. When the legs drop down, the lower leg rotates 90 degrees (toe outward) so the thigh is on the back of the lower leg, with the knee joint bent 90 degrees. Then the entire knee joint slides toward the intake, placing the knee right inside the intake duct. Good thing these things don't actually need air to run the engines. ^_^

I really am anxious to see how they pull it off with a toy myself. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

I actually wouldn't mind FAST packs either. Like Mommar said, since they are going obscure, go all out with it.

In other news, I swear EXO's new avatar just looked at me O_O. Someone please tell me that is an animated .gif, and that I'm not just going crazy, and that picture isn't looking into my soul.....

GK makers were doing like every YF-19 before Yamato picked it up

is that obscure :v

it's cumulative... the vf-4 was only shown as a toy in the show, a few seconds in a music video makes it pretty obscure. And while it was in games in the past, it wasn't in the more recent games. And the fact that yamato, apparently, doesn't think it's even worth getting a proper retail release?

I'm sticking with obscure. :p

it's cumulative... the vf-4 was only shown as a toy in the show, a few seconds in a music video makes it pretty obscure. And while it was in games in the past, it wasn't in the more recent games.

it was in two out of the three PSP games

and the Dreamcast game

and the PS2 game

and my favorite, Digital Mission VF-X

And the fact that yamato, apparently, doesn't think it's even worth getting a proper retail release?

I'm sticking with obscure.

they didn't think the standalone GBP-1S set was worth a proper release either

and later on they did

I wonder if Yamato is wishing they'd gotten on the web shop bandwagon earlier for some of those more obscure second string Valkyries

like the VF-22 trio

and the VF-11 twins

maybe them Sv-51s as well

might've saved some retailers a lot of trouble

Have already emailed Yamato with your suggestions about:

• Having the 12 semi-conformal missiles detachable (a must).
  • having hard-points on the wing, so that the VF-4 can fit the missiles from the v2 1/60 VF-1.
  • Having the VF-4's hands designed so that they can hold the GU-11 gunpod from the v2 VF-1.
  • Having a gunpod adaptor to allow the gunpod to be mounted in fighter mode.

No reply yet though.

Graham

Great to hear Graham.

Now to stir the pot; as much as I dig the VF-4, the feet do nothing for me. Feet anywhere from a VF-0, VF-1 or a VF-11 type styling would really top off this design. Not to say I hate the original feet, just seem a little like an after thought - and thats the only thing that niggles at me.

Given how different the feet on this one are, I am interested in seeing what they do They're basically much more like actual thrust vectoring paddles than feet in this case, and they have to extend a lot to become the heel and toe. They're really just pads that hit the ground flat.

The fact that GK'ers make the vf-4 is proof of the vf-4's obscurity. :D

Hmm. I you want to go that route, I would say the fact that ONLY GK'ers have made the VF-4 might be considered evidence of the VF-4's obscurity. Your wording would imply that Rei Ayanami is obscure.

it was in two out of the three PSP games

and the Dreamcast game

and the PS2 game

and my favorite, Digital Mission VF-X

Right, and those ARE the more recent games.

Considering how many people see my Macross Valks and say -"Oooh, I love transformers" (maybe one in a hundred might say, "Wasn't that in Robotech"?) I'd be inclined to say in some countries (the U.S. anyway) ANY properly identified macross valkyrie is obscure. The only Valk to make it a little into pop-culture is the VF-1, and most people recognize it as Jetfire. So basically Nerds recognize Jetfire, hardcore nerds recognize that as a Robotech Veritech, and truly enlightened hardcore nerds recognize it as a VF-1 Valkyrie. Then you have the people like us who know all of them. . . .

We are the nerd elite! Who wants to do a parade?

And of course thanks to Graham for getting data to Yamato so that we can finally see this thing in its matte plastic glory!

and truly enlightened hardcore nerds recognize it as a VF-1 Valkyrie. Then you have the people like us who know all of them. . . .

That's me :D

And I'm very excited about Graham's mail to Yamato. Even imagining the probability of acceptance of the main points put a smile upon my face :)

Have already emailed Yamato with your suggestions about:

• Having the 12 semi-conformal missiles detachable (a must).
  • having hard-points on the wing, so that the VF-4 can fit the missiles from the v2 1/60 VF-1.
  • Having the VF-4's hands designed so that they can hold the GU-11 gunpod from the v2 VF-1.
  • Having a gunpod adaptor to allow the gunpod to be mounted in fighter mode.

No reply yet though.

Graham

At first, I was "meh" at the possibility of this thing getting made, but over the last couple of weeks, I've grown to really like the design for it's uniqueness, the fact that it's not anything like the other Valkyries made since. That having been said, my opinion about adding hard points, gunpod attachments, and such is thus:

I sincerely hope that they don't put any hard points on the wings. Based on all the drawings I've seen so far, I've come to the conclusion that they were never meant to be there, because that was the whole point of having 12 semi-conformal missiles in the first place. It was also never shown having a GU-11 gun pod attached in fighter mode, either. THIS ISN'T A FRAKING VF-0/1/(INSERT ALL OTHER MODELS HERE) VALKYRIE, it's a Godamned VF-4G Lightning III, and the whole point to me was it's uniqueness in NOT having a GU-11 attached in Fightermode, nor any hard points on the wings, because they weren't needed.

They finally decide to make this Valk, and several of you are wanting Yamato to turn it into every other Valk out there, WTF? And before any of you say "Kyp, you don't have to attach the missiles or gunpod if you don't want to...", I'm quite well aware of that, but I don't want those ugly 1/60 VF-1 hard point nubs on the wings, they're the reason I tend to keep the missiles on my 1/60 V2 Roy in the first place.

As to the 12 semi conformal missiles being detachable, that's neat and all, but if it's going to leave peg holes, which I see no other way to make this possible, then I won't be detaching them anyways, so it's a moot feature to me.

Gimmicks are all great and fine, but please, for frak's sake, can we not mess with things that to me make this Valk unique? Am I the only one here that feels this way?

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

As to the 12 semi conformal missiles being detachable, that's neat and all, but if it's going to leave peg holes, which I see no other way to make this possible, then I won't be detaching them anyways, so it's a moot feature to me.

-Kyp

Actually, if you take into account the AMM-1's on the VF-1, then there will be pegs on the Valkyrie and peg holes on the missiles.

I whole heardtedly agree though. Let's stick to the lineart here and not build in gimmicks for the sake of having gimmicks. I would like to see it with some sort of gunpod at least come with it though.

Ultimately, I'll go with whatever they release as the Hory Froating Head himself has direct input over what features are put into these. If he's cool with it, then I'm cool with it.