Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Ok Guys.....Here she is...the model I have wanted since childhood...finished. This was my first multiple piece resin kit..different to say the least from a normal kit...aside from the very difficult task of getting the two halves together, I really enjoyed building it. I tried to take my time and I am pleased with how it came out. Pics really don't do the weathering justice...hard to get a good pic of it on the green paint. The kit was made by Wayne at Scale Solutions down in Australia. It was very well done in my opinion. B)) Now I just have to figure out where and how I am going to fit it in my Macross cabinet! :o

Congratulations~ It looks nice and certainly brings back memories.

And it's pretty big, too! One reason I'm afraid of big scale models... Displaying it and also packing it when i need to move :ph34r:

Congratulations~ It looks nice and certainly brings back memories.

And it's pretty big, too! One reason I'm afraid of big scale models... Displaying it and also packing it when i need to move :ph34r:

Thanks KyeKye...!

One more shot of this big green monster in my case with his friends...don't think I'm gonna get much more in there... :blink:

post-11393-0-69667500-1309990708_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-46483500-1310294982_thumb.jpg

About 2 days worth of work on the primary build. Now, 2-3 weeks left for putty and sanding, prime and paint, decals, and all other fiddly work.

But that's why we love this hobby!

post-12411-0-46483500-1310294982_thumb.jpg

About 2 days worth of work on the primary build. Now, 2-3 weeks left for putty and sanding, prime and paint, decals, and all other fiddly work.

But that's why we love this hobby!

Wow! That bring me back memories! That kit is pretty old! i think I built it like 10 years ago? Still it's a wonderful kit with nice proportion! Good luck!

Wow! That bring me back memories! That kit is pretty old! i think I built it like 10 years ago? Still it's a wonderful kit with nice proportion! Good luck!

Yep, I bought it when it first came out. Then, I moved to Japan in 2004, and all my kits stayed boxed up until 2 years ago or so. Nice to let them see the light of day again.

Kind of funny, though. Buy my kits from Japan, have then sent to America, then I end up moving and building them over here.

• 2 weeks later...

Not on my workbench, but will be on my Dad's come Christmas.

post-12411-0-65503000-1311316016_thumb.jpg post-12411-0-35412900-1311316026_thumb.jpg post-12411-0-77675200-1311316035_thumb.jpg

My parents came out to visit last month, and I took them to my favorite hobby shop to reserve a VF-11 for me, and my dad went back to look at this about 4-5 times while we were there; so it's the least I can do for him.

Actually looks like a pretty good challenge. May have to pick one up for myself eventually.

i'm going to be working on this in a couple weeks or so, as soon at it arrives from HK;

LEYNOSAS-5E31-351.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-355.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-356.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-357.jpg

LEYNOSAS-5E31-354.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-04.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-02.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-03.jpg

Plum-135-AS-5E3-Leynos-Model-Kit-Snapfit-Review-By-Hobby-Stock-05.jpg

just yesterday, at my local hobby shop, i picked this 1/35 figure set up to complement the model above with;

DRAGON1-35US82ndAIRBORNE2.jpg

just for some background, this Mecha goes WAY back with me, to my very first video game console, in fact,

the 1988 SEGA "MEGA DRIVE"/ 1989 "GENESIS"

ASSAULT SUIT LEYNOS was among my first ten or so titles for the spanking new in the U.S. (at the time) VG console,

and quickly made it's place as one of my all-time favorite games, a place of honor it holds to this very day;

(my original copy of LEYNOS, in it's U.S. localized GENESIS "TARGET EARTH" form, beside my copy of the original Japanese MEGA DRIVE title)

SEGAGENESISCOLLECTION1-5-111.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Holy snot Shaorin, that LEYNOS kit looks awesome, keep us posted!! B))

i will. i paid something of a small fortune for this thing, considering that it is a 1/35 kit that builds into a model about 6-odd inches high.

still, $108 and change, shipping included, was well worth paying for a personal dream come true.

seriously, this game and it's mecha design goes all the way back to 1990, when i was about 10ys. old,

and was one of the formative personal experiences that led me towards Anime and Mecha fandom...

Edited by Shaorin

I'm a big fan of Assault Suit Valken and Leynos, will be doing this kit as well. I can't wait to see your version!

yeah, i've never owned nor played VALKEN before, to date.

as such, i've been thinking lately about picking up a SUPER FAMICOM off the BAY, along with a copy of VALKEN.

i've nearly grabbed up a copy of VALKEN's U.S. SUPER NINTENDO iteration, "CYBERNATOR" in the past,

but i've been most hesitant about it since hearing that the wonder weasels in charge of the U.S. localisation back then

felt it necessary to remove all the character dialogue facial shots and alter the ending sequence.

i had an issue of NINTENDO POWER as a kid that had a CYBERNATOR article, and showed an english version of the game

with character pics intact, so once i had found out that the game was related to my beloved LEYNOS,

i had planned on picking VALKEN's U.S. edition up, figuring that it couldn't be any more edited/modded

than LEYNOS' "TARGET EARTH" U.S. edition was, which was to say, not much at all.

then i look into it on the net, and find out just how modded "CYBERNATOR" was,

and that makes me want to go to lengths to enable myself to be able to play an original copy of VALKEN...

Edited by Shaorin

Built this over the last couple of weekends...Scale Solutions 2 piece resin Super Star Destroyer kit..Always wanted a model of this! I pretty much guessed at the colors as there really is no 100% accurate source of info. The RPF forums and other places around the net showed several different schemes so I came up with this.. Model Master Neutral Gray for the light sections and Model Master Intermediate Blue for the darker sections...I also attempted my first try at drybrushing to bring out some of the details..worked ok I guess..but at this scale didn't want to do a whole lot of weathering..the ship looked new in ESB anyway.

post-11393-0-28805200-1311556383_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-88658300-1311556390_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-19767600-1311556397_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-71900400-1311556404_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-75115500-1311556412_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-14956200-1311556419_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-14229600-1311556427_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-33857300-1311556434_thumb.jpg

post-11393-0-73480600-1311556440_thumb.jpg

just picked one of these up off the BAY as well, a Verlinden brand 1/35 US Navy 'TOP GUN' Pilot figure kit;

Verlinden1-35USNavyTOPGUNPilot1.jpg

he'll be serving (with a somewhat different color scheme then the one in the example photo) as the ASSAULT SUIT's pilot...

Edited by Shaorin

wheee!! it just came this morning!!

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-28-11.jpg

BIG box, absolutely packed with parts frames! NO wasted space!! it looks like it'll build to a nice, beefy size, a solid 1/35 to match those figures i bought for it!!

still have yet to receive that VERLINDEN fighter pilot, but that should show up soon enough!

i've already started the base coat on that DESERT STORM figure set, and i'll be painting that pilot to basically match.

got a lot of work to do now!!

Edited by Shaorin

wheee!! it just came this morning!!

BIG box, absolutely packed with parts frames! NO wasted space!! it looks like it'll build to a nice, beefy size, a solid 1/35 to match those figures i bought for it!!

still have yet to receive that VERLINDEN fighter pilot, but that should show up soon enough!

i've already started the base coat on that DESERT STORM figure set, and i'll be painting that pilot to basically match.

got a lot of work to do now!!

You've got a nice kit, keep us posted with the progress!!!!

assembly and basic painting of the small handful of areas that required it before assembly is all finished;

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-29-11.jpg

i've plenty of detail painting to do yet, though. i used TAMIYA XF-63 GERMAN GREY for the forearm units and antenna mast,

TAMIYA X-7 RED for the red halo effect for head unit camera/sensor module, and TESTOR'S MODEL MASTER GUNMETAL

for the Gatling barrels of the "HG-GUN" (name as was given in the game)

overall, a FANTASTIC model, the perfect size too, IMO. a pic alongside a Yammie 1/60v.II for scale;

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-29-112.jpg

one little point of contention, though; the ball joints on the ankles and shoulders can be a bit iffy,

and have a tendency to pop out if not manipulated carefully.

i'd like to say that that i just assembled it wrong, but while i assembled it quickly, i also assembled it carefully.

besides, with around fifty-odd GUNDAM kits under my belt, from 1/144s, to 1/100 HG and MGs, to a 1/60 PG ZETA,

i like to think that i've been around the block a couple times with Snap-Fit, Polycap mecha models,

and that i pretty much know what i'm doing at this stage. this particular kit was no more complicated in the end

than your average BANDAI HG, anyway...

still, i don't know if that ball-joint issue is truly a flaw in the design, or what,

but i just figured that i should make it known.

finally, even though this IS technically a Snap-Fit, many of the parts don't exactly snap together

as tightly as the average GUNDAM does. as such, gluing is recommended for this one. i myself

just went ahead and glued everything, regardless of how well it came together.

as a result, my model is rather rock-solid...

Edited by Shaorin

AS-5E3PLAYERTYPEJohns7-29-113.jpg

that 1/35 pilot just arrived this morn!

gee, i had no idea that it would be a RESIN kit!! the EBAY auction never even hinted at that.

well, this will be the very first time i've ever tackled a Resin model. so far, it ain't bad at all!

the parts came cast on slabs of excess moulding, with lots of "Flash" but they cleaned up very well, as you can see in that photo above.

i gave the helmeted head a very careful "Shave" to remove the mustache, so that the final figure would more closely resemble

the pilot of the ASSAULT SUIT that you control in the game.

well, if Resin holds TAMIYA ACRYLICs as readily as it is worked, this should be a snap!

Verlinden1-35USNavyTOPGUNPilot1.jpg

my final product will have a somewhat different color scheme, to attempt to reflect the look established in the game's ending scenes;

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending9.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending1.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending8.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending2.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending3.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending4.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending5.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending6.png

ASSAULTSUITLEYNOS-Ending7.png

Edited by Shaorin

Yep, I bought it when it first came out. Then, I moved to Japan in 2004, and all my kits stayed boxed up until 2 years ago or so. Nice to let them see the light of day again.

Kind of funny, though. Buy my kits from Japan, have then sent to America, then I end up moving and building them over here.

Thats funny, when i finally find a way to move there ( stayed there a little bit with a friend for a month and ive been back 5 times, love the place), I will literally have to do the same thing though possibly on a much larger scale. All the trips i took to Japan i always brought two empty suitcases, atm i would have to get over 150 unbuilt kits shipped back over.

Action stations, Action stations, Set condition one throughout the ship! Using both sets of decals to finish this Viper and my Black & Blue version MK II. :D

post-6180-0-30935600-1312136652_thumb.jpg

post-6180-0-41137800-1312136662_thumb.jpg

Edited by 505thAirborne

finished, for the most part.

still have some touch up and detail work yet, mostly on the pilot. regardless, both are essentially complete;

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-111.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-112.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-113.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-114.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-115.jpg

AS-5E3LEYNOSJohn8-6-116.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Looks amazing Shaorin, the pilot is a great touch. (Did you have to paint this kit or do the parts already come pre-molded in the proper colors?) I know have this kit on my To Buy List!! :D

Edited by 505thAirborne

it comes moulded in BUFF, LIGHT GRAY and DARK GRAY, with a single CLEAR part (the camera/sensor lens)

i have left mine in it's moulded colors, with detail painting where necessary.

there was no decals included, which meant that i had to use masking tape

to get that red stripe painted on the right shoulder cylinder there...

Edited by Shaorin

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOooooooooohhhhh baby, I've been waiting a long time to get my hands on you!

post-12411-0-14335300-1313660566_thumb.jpg

Anyone else finding that Macross Chronicle makes an awesome painting/marking reference?

Also comes with a 1/72 scale Miria, doubt I'll do anything with her though, since I suck at figures.

post-12411-0-00801400-1313660640_thumb.jpg

I'm jealous - that's my favourite Zentraedi design.

Actually, if we want to get pedantic, it's a Meltrandi design, not Zentradi. :p I've wanted this kit forever, and I managed to snag it off Yahoo Auctions last year as a birthday gift to myself (actually, my wife chipped in half and did the actual bidding, but I found it, dammit!!)

Actually, if we want to get pedantic, it's a Meltrandi design, not Zentradi. :p I've wanted this kit forever, and I managed to snag it off Yahoo Auctions last year as a birthday gift to myself (actually, my wife chipped in half and did the actual bidding, but I found it, dammit!!)

That must've been a very happy birthday! Congratulations! :lol: