Star Wars toys

Don't know if this will help any, but now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure I swapped the gun barrels around between wing mounts.. like, I tested all four gun barrels in each of the four mounts. Inconsistencies in molding mean that even a bent barrel may wind up straight if the locator tabs in the mount are bent the other way. I swapped barrels between mounts until the guns were all mostly straight. I also might have just heated them up with a blowdryer, and set a dictionary on them to straighten them. :lol:

Btw, you're right, the lights/sounds would've still worked. I really just like the empty one because it's perfect for customizing. I can take it apart and reassemble it without fiddling with the wires and circuit boards. The FX version is such a wiring disaster inside, you can't take it apart without cutting wires.

Edited by Chronocidal

I don't customise, so I like a fun toy out-of-the box, though. I really quite liked the engine lights :)

Does anybody have the V-Wing? It looks like a nice addition to my Rebel armada (being red and white and all)*, and will go along side the upcoming Clone Wars V-19 Torrent. Hasbro is going vehicle crazy lately.

*I predict Hasbro will release an 'Imperial V-Wing' redeco based on the end of ROTS sometime next year.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Does anybody have the V-Wing? It looks like a nice addition to my Rebel armada (being red and white and all)*, and will go along side the upcoming Clone Wars V-19 Torrent. Hasbro is going vehicle crazy lately.

I don't but want it, might wait for a repaint, the Clone Wars packaging one is the same from last year.

*I predict Hasbro will release an 'Imperial V-Wing' redeco based on the end of ROTS sometime next year.

This was suggested in a q/a weeks back, and they were open to it.

I purchased the V wing from Myers a while back, and found it a very cool ship! the flip open wings that also extend away from the body are cool, and the look is quite sleek! ( did spend a bit of time zooming and destroying with it when i first opened it lol) Very worthy! (unfortunatly its packed away, lack of space yadda yadda...)

Yeah, vehicles are too big to display if you collect stuff. I took out my POTJ B-Wing yesterday, and after an hour it went back into my storage room. Just no space for something that large.

I'm quite glad I got it cheap, since secondary prices for it are *steep*.

Yeah, vehicles are too big to display if you collect stuff. I took out my POTJ B-Wing yesterday, and after an hour it went back into my storage room. Just no space for something that large.

I'm quite glad I got it cheap, since secondary prices for it are *steep*.

Size and storage were the main reasons I sold off all my GI Joes and Star Wars from my childhood off a few years ago. Just too big for the vehicles to be placed anywhere. That's why I was glad the 3" Titanium line came out, then I could have a nice and heavy set of SW ships that doesn't take up a lot of space.

I do like the big stuff, but really have no room to display a lot of it (which is why 3 of my four x-wings are taken apart, and in a box). I would LOVE to get a b-wing one of these days.

What always boggled my mind though was the old imperial shuttle toy.. it was huge. The wings must've made it over 3 feet across. I saw one hanging from the ceiling in a collectibles shop once and almost fell over looking up at it.

For display though, I just hang onto my collection of Action Fleet stuff. Some aren't very well proportioned (x-wing in particular), but they make nice desk models.

Well, there's a confirmed B-Wing redeco coming out sometime this year, but it would have to be a pretty nice EU comic deco to top the 2001 deco. I think its odd that they're doing an EU deco for the toy considering the last release was 7 years ago, and was a fairly obscure release at that.

After all, they've never done an EU deco for the X-Wing. Yet.

FFN's Crazy Vehicle Wishlist (and why they won't be made)

- Z-95 Headhunter: Might be too easily confused with the X-Wing

- E-Wing: Hey, Galoob actually made an Action Fleet toy of this thing, but to be in rough scale with the other fighters, the main fuselage would need to be as big as the X-Wing's, and that's too large for an EU design toy.

- HAVw A6 Juggernaut/Clone Turbo Tank: Given the AT-TE is roughly in figure scale, to significantly compromise the size of this vehicle would be a crime. But a vaugley proper figure-scale toy would be ridiculously expensive, especially for a vehicle that only appeared on screen for about 20 seconds.

- HMP Droid gunship: Was only seen briefly.

- Wookie Catamaran: Was seen even more briefly than the Wookie flier helicopter thing.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

What always boggled my mind though was the old imperial shuttle toy.. it was huge. The wings must've made it over 3 feet across. I saw one hanging from the ceiling in a collectibles shop once and almost fell over looking up at it.

The shuttle IS pretty big... although, sadly, the scale is still on the small side compared to figures, even considering its a toy. The new X-Wings and even the Y-Wing can pass to those who aren't die hard fans, but the shuttle's not as forgiving, despite its general size (you could ship a small child in its box). Getting the FAOSchwartz re-release a few years back was the completing piece to my bookshelf top Imperial Welcoming Party layout....

sw01lr4.th.jpgsw02ie5.th.jpg

sw03gw4.th.jpgsw04ju7.th.jpg

I have the shuttle up on a 1" or so set of blocks so that the walkway doesn't look like one has to slither out of it (metaphorically fitting for Palpatine, but at his age, he should have to limbo or crawl out). The shuttle's about as tall as the the AT-AT, to give some an idea of size.

Wow.. that shuttle is a beauty :)

What makes the large scale x-wings appealing is that they seem to be about studio scale, minus a few interpretive changes. The action figures really are still slightly too big for them, but the ship is large enough that it doesn't matter, and they still fit in the cockpit. The y-wing is another story entirely.. if it were made in scale with the x-wings, it'd be easily another 6-7 inches longer, making it about two and a half feet long. The toy y-wing they did produce looks like an SD version. :p Actually, a lot of the off-scale vehicles tend to remind me of Joke Machines. :lol:

I don't worry about the vehicles being in scale with each other so much as I do them being in overall correct proportions.. The sizes of some vehicles makes it very easy to make them accurate, while others just get butchered. They did really well with some, like the A-Wing, Snowspeeder, and Naboo N-1 (the N-1 is huge, it may actually be in full scale with the figures, since the ship in the movie really isn't that big compared with an X-Wing, but it's bigger than the FX scale one). Even the Tie fighters are pretty good, if you exclude the shrunken panels on the standard fighter. The interceptor, bomber, and DV's Tie all looked pretty decent.

Wow.. that shuttle is a beauty :)

What makes the large scale X-wings appealing is that they seem to be about studio scale, minus a few interpretive changes. The action figures really are still slightly too big for them, but the ship is large enough that it doesn't matter, and they still fit in the cockpit. The y-wing is another story entirely.. if it were made in scale with the X-wings, it'd be easily another 6-7 inches longer, making it about two and a half feet long. The toy Y-wing they did produce looks like an SD version. :p Actually, a lot of the off-scale vehicles tend to remind me of Joke Machines. :lol:

Absolutely true and I wasn't so much implying that the Y-Wing was close to scale as saying that most people who would look at a display with one in it who aren't big Star Wars fans would wonder why it looks so small. The nice thing about the Y- and B-Wings is that you don't see them often (nearly at all in case of the latter) and almost never with something to give a definitive scale visually, unlike the Shuttle that you got a good idea of size compared to person. So while it may pain you and I to see such a warped old bird, I've only had one friend or visitor ever ask why the Y-wing isn't the right size (I'd love to see a YW in scale with a FX XW... even if it meant it would pretty much take up a shelf on its own... having the cockpit dwarf the two engine pods does look silly... I've always liked the big, ugly, brute-force look of the Y-wing).

The larger winged standard TIE is really nice and I agree most of the rest look great against the X-Wing and even okay next to the AW and figures, although the bomber still feel like it's too cramped... then again, I'm basing it solely on how it looks and the general feel that bombers shouldn't be smaller than fighters. If Hasbro were to say, "In the next two years we're re-releasing the big wing TIE, the Interceptor, Bomber, and Advanced all in white/light grey with nothing special on the paint jobs, I'd almost have to reconsider replacing my blues... but it's just bugged me that the recent ones have heavy paint apps... the stripe on the 181st is one thing (still dislike it), but the extreme dirt/damage is almost silly. When do you ever see a filthy or badly damaged TIE? They seem to blow up if the pilot sneezes! A little dirt/wear around weapons or what-not I'm fine with, but keep my Imp ships clean and my Alliance ships filthy.

Speaking of clean, yeah... the N-1 is pretty nice... and you're right in that it might just be the closest to actual scale as far as the figure-scaled fighter go. I unfortunately have it in a box because it's big and it really doesn't work with much else, but I still like it and if I ever have the room, might pick up some droid fighters for some hanging battle.

What I've never really understood about the Y-Wing was that it is kind of an odd-man out in the C-canon Star Wars vehicle designs. Most of the other vehicles, including the Millennium Falcon, cover their internal parts with external hull plating. The EU explanation is the Y-Wing was in such constant use and constant repair that Rebellion engineers simply left the panels and fairings off to save themselves time.

Isn't that like... dangerous? The hull plating protects the ship from damage by glancing hits and debris, not to mention when the fighter needs to make atmospheric re-entry.

The N1 Royal Cruiser might be fun for displaying with the upcoming Millennium Falcon if you do some kind of space port scene.

I have the shuttle up on a 1" or so set of blocks so that the walkway doesn't look like one has to slither out of it (metaphorically fitting for Palpatine, but at his age, he should have to limbo or crawl out).
hahahaha I would like to see THAT.

The shuttle IS pretty big... although, sadly, the scale is still on the small side compared to figures, even considering its a toy. The new X-Wings and even the Y-Wing can pass to those who aren't die hard fans, but the shuttle's not as forgiving, despite its general size (you could ship a small child in its box). Getting the FAOSchwartz re-release a few years back was the completing piece to my bookshelf top Imperial Welcoming Party layout....

I have the shuttle up on a 1" or so set of blocks so that the walkway doesn't look like one has to slither out of it (metaphorically fitting for Palpatine, but at his age, he should have to limbo or crawl out). The shuttle's about as tall as the the AT-AT, to give some an idea of size.

That is one INCREDIBLE diorama display there! Amazing, right down to Vadar speaking to the Emperor. A dream!

Just because we were discussing scale and perceptions of size, here's a quick collage of images I put together of the figure-scaled fighters (theoretically 1:18). I took a shot of each next to an X-Wing, then scaled them so the X-Wing was the same size in each photo, so they're close to within a percentage point or two of all being how big they are to each other.

scaleqi1.jpg

(L-r: Imperial Shuttle (wings up), N-1 Naboo Starfighter, X-wing (FX), A-Wing, Y-Wing (most recent one because I'm glad they fixed the nose guns... but my right engine frame is still warped from the box), B-Wing, TIE (large wings... I sat it on its back just so the size of the wings can be appreciated... the wings stay straight vertical when it's right side u), P-51 Mustang (for scale comparison...should've thrown in my F-16 Falcon to dwarf every thing else), and the shuttle again (with its wings as extended as they can sitting flat... the actual wingspan would lose another 1/2 inch or so if it was actually 'flying').

While the Y-wing is disproportionate to itself (engines are tiny) and not in proper scale for 1:18, it doesn't look that out of place and most people who aren't Star Wars ship buffs rarely notice how wonky it is. The shuttle, however, almost looks more like a two-crew gunboat/bomber instead of a ship that should fit four in the cockpit and a squad of men in the back.

What I've never really understood about the Y-Wing was that it is kind of an odd-man out in the C-canon Star Wars vehicle designs. Most of the other vehicles, including the Millennium Falcon, cover their internal parts with external hull plating. The EU explanation is the Y-Wing was in such constant use and constant repair that Rebellion engineers simply left the panels and fairings off to save themselves time.

I never had too much issue with the plating on the Y-wing. If the ships do have deflector shields, the shields could be the main deterrent when it comes to space debris. The Falcon does have exposed parts as well, although granted, not nearly the entire ship like the Y-wing and the X-Wing has exposed stuff on the top of its main fuselage (presumably makes it easier for the astromech droid to perform in flight maintenance). When we got to see the overly sleek N-1s in TPM, I was one of those hoping that by the third movie we'd see early, fully plated Y-wings (or their direct ancestors). It's sort of a shame that we instead just got early X- and A-wings mixed with TIE parts.

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

For grins, here's an FX X-Wing sitting on a 1:18 scale Falcon.

xwvsf16jz1.jpg

T-65s are 12.5 meters long 'in reality'. F-16s run about 14.9 meters.

I'd almost hate to see true 1:18 scale Star Wars fighters... particularly a Y-Wing (16 meters.. almost 3 feet in 1/18th). Bad enough the Falcon completely scared me off getting a Hornet or, worse, a Phantom.....

Edited by Southpaw Samurai

I think Hasbro does a good job of figure-scaling toys to keep them relatively affordable and practical. No kid could own an X-Wing if they were true 1:18 scale, and none of us could seriously afford (money and space) the Rebel fighter fleet.

Still, I have a really hard time fitting pilot figures inside the big X-Wing, such as the now-standard pilots based on the 2004 Saga gold leader body. Poor Jek Porkins will never fit in an X-Wing.

I never had too much issue with the plating on the Y-wing. If the ships do have deflector shields, the shields could be the main deterrent when it comes to space debris. The Falcon does have exposed parts as well, although granted, not nearly the entire ship like the Y-wing and the X-Wing has exposed stuff on the top of its main fuselage (presumably makes it easier for the astromech droid to perform in flight maintenance). When we got to see the overly sleek N-1s in TPM, I was one of those hoping that by the third movie we'd see early, fully plated Y-wings (or their direct ancestors). It's sort of a shame that we instead just got early X- and A-wings mixed with TIE parts.
We'll see a fully hulled Y-Wing in the new Clone Wars CG series. Of course, the new design kind of takes Obi-Wan's ironic comment about "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age" abit literally. It's really fancy looking.

Hmm.. yeah, the X-Wing there isn't quite 1/18.. the figure may be that scale, but he only fits in the cockpit because there aren't any other things like consoles and joysticks (and seat cushions) to get in the way. The actual scale of those X-Wings works out to something like 1/22. The actual film miniatures in ANH were a little bigger than the FX scale ones, I think a little over 2 feet long, but still only around 1/20th scale.

Actually, judging by the photos I've seen of the movie props, the ships may have used pilots that were only 1/24 scale.. The cockpits of the props were never actually seen well during filming, so they didn't ever bother to make them match the sets used for the cockpit shots (which is why the ERTL X-Wing kits had such fugly cockpits and pilots - they were based on the props alone, with no attention to the movies). The props always looked like they used some sort of race car driver figure judging by the helmet and posture (maybe gripping a steering wheel).

Btw, that full-sized paneled tie fighter is awesome. :) I have the old midget version somewhere, but I'm tempted to get another one now. Tell me though, did they ever fix the back end to be accurate? My old one has some funky looking box stuck on the back (hyperdrive mod?), not the round hatch-looking thing with the black hexagon on it.

Edited by Chronocidal

Btw, that full-sized paneled tie fighter is awesome. :) I have the old midget version somewhere, but I'm tempted to get another one now. Tell me though, did they ever fix the back end to be accurate? My old one has some funky looking box stuck on the back (hyperdrive mod?), not the round hatch-looking thing with the black hexagon on it.

Yep, the big wing TIE does finally have a fully realized, more movie accurate rear.

tiebackrb9.th.jpg

It's really a great rendition.

Now, if I can only convince Hasbro to do up all the TIEs in the movie-like white/light grey job, without excessive wear'n'tear paint apps (or special squadron markings), and the accurate back on the fighter and interceptor, they'd easily milk $100+ out of me again. :D

Bad news for aussie fans... the AT-TE will cost between $150-200AUD. The Millennium Falcon will cost $300AUD. The latter's box is apparently *much* larger than the Episode 1 Naboo Royal Starship's.

Which is the TE again? I know the AT-AT, and the smaller AT-St used in epi 5 and 6, but TE?

Darn that price ! however, i think jedi insider or somewhere was posting all the features it would do, and quite frankly, if its going ot be able to walk and make numerous sound effects and other crazy things, well i understand the price!

as for the BMF, even if its 300, it WILL be mine mwahhahahahaa.. But seriously, its deadly cool!

it wont go STRAIGHT into storage like the others LOL.

(missus askes; " why is there a star wars ship suspended over our bed?" .... reply; " not just a star wars ship, its the Millenium Falcon.)

^_^

Darn that price ! however, i think jedi insider or somewhere was posting all the features it would do, and quite frankly, if its going ot be able to walk and make numerous sound effects and other crazy things, well i understand the price!

as for the BMF, even if its 300, it WILL be mine mwahhahahahaa.. But seriously, its deadly cool!

it wont go STRAIGHT into storage like the others LOL.

(missus askes; " why is there a star wars ship suspended over our bed?" .... reply; " not just a star wars ship, its the Millenium Falcon.)

^_^

lol! Yeah my bro has already claimed one. IT will be a history in the making having such a huge playset... i want one too. :(

So what would be the best way to buy? Local shops? Pre-order? For us aussies i mean of course.

yeh, local is prob gonna be just as expensive as buying at cheap price overseas then paying monster shipping fees!

Missus Sam: "What the hell's an Aluminum Falcon?!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. ^_^

The parcel post man just delivered my POTF2 AT-AT.

I'm glad I never paid full price for this thing, because it's abit cheap and cheesy for what you pay for, and technically the 1997 version was the best of them all in terms of features and deco.

Still, I mostly got it to display with the upcoming AT-TE (which now looks much more impressive).

lol, the falcon thats lighter and more rust resistant the the regular metal millenium hehe

as for AT-AT, I have only seen the Endor one, about a year ago at TRU, and HAD to buy it ! as I was walking through the mall with it a bearded guy said' thats for you, aint it' LOL.

BUT

hated the 'no paint', so this is what i did..

atat15.JPG

MUCH happier with it now ! hehe

I figured Macrossworld, with the detail- and accuracy-oriented people around here, would be the one place I'd get some agreement on my issue with the upcoming 'BMF' Falcon. I HATE that they've given it a 'fat' profile AGAIN! It looks like the Falcon is pregnant or has been converted to a snowplow. Screw the stupid 'hidden smuggling compartments', I want a Falcon that looks sleek from the outside. (yes, i know there are uber-expensive replicas and smaller toys.)