When doing some research for my fanfict I come across some references about the blood type "Alpha Bombay" that we see in Zero. there is a Bombay phenotype but not an "Alpha" one, so I asume that the Alpha is, indeed, an ancester of the modern one. The problem is about the differences that the old can have with the "present" one as we know that many Mayan people survive the war and where living in UNSpacy ships. Maybe the joined the military as Mao did?

Edited by Gerli

When doing some research for my fanfict I come across some references about the blood type "Alpha Bombay" that we see in Zero. there is a Bombay phenotype but not an "Alpha" one, so I asume that the Alpha is, indeed, an ancester of the modern one. The problem is about the differences that the old can have with the "present" one as we know that many Mayan people survive the war and where living in UNSpacy ships. Maybe the joined the military as Mao did?

A bit more on Alpha-Bombay: http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/MCRglossary/Glossary02a.php

Thanks dude. So the Alpha Bombay blood is not biological related with the Bombay Phenotype, it's just had similar name (maybe the chemical composition is similar, but the two types of phenotype are separated, like two unrelated species who evolved the same way on different part of the planet)

Thanks dude. So the Alpha Bombay blood is not biological related with the Bombay Phenotype, it's just had similar name (maybe the chemical composition is similar, but the two types of phenotype are separated, like two unrelated species who evolved the same way on different part of the planet)

It *may* be related, it may not. That's the one [frustrating] thing about Macross: until it's directly said, anything is possible.

The only thing that's clear is that at the time of Macross Zero, only the Nome sisters and the Afos have this blood type.

Edited by sketchley

It was mentioned in a recent post that Mao Nome joined the military - where does this come from?

Unknown. I don't even think its factual.

If memory serves, she became the leading Protoculture scientist, and later became the leader of the 117th Research Fleet that was investigating the Vajra.

Perhaps that's where the poster your referencing made the mistake? Assuming that 'leader' means 'joined the military and worked her way up the ranks', when it means nothing more or less than leading the fleet?

It was mentioned in a recent post that Mao Nome joined the military - where does this come from?

Sorry, that was a misinterpretation for my part.

The boundaries of military and government are pretty unclear in Macross but... I suppose we don't know that.

Perhaps that's where the poster your referencing made the mistake? Assuming that 'leader' means 'joined the military and worked her way up the ranks', when it means nothing more or less than leading the fleet?

That and because my english vocabulary is a little short :D

Thanks for pointing that.

Fleets have been shown to have both civilian and military leadership... for instance, the titular fleet in Macross 7 was led by both Colonel Maximilian Jenius and Mayor Milia Jenius. The 117th Research Fleet wasn't a colony fleet (which would've been led by a civilian government) or a military taskforce (which would've been led by a Colonel or General). It was, as the name suggests, out there for the purposes of carrying out scientific research, so who better to call the shots than the program's lead researcher, our gal Mao.

It's not... it's a misinterpretation of the bit in her Macross Zero character sheet that calls her the leader of the 117th Research fleet.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

And... today Io9 made an article about that, even mentioning the estrange Bombay Phenotype and the mystery that surrounds blood types.... crazy timing :D

http://io9.com/why-do-we-have-blood-types-1608502764?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The most striking demonstration of our ignorance about the benefit of blood types came to light in Bombay in 1952. Doctors discovered that a handful of patients had no ABO blood type at all – not A, not B, not AB, not O. If A and B are two-storey buildings, and O is a one-storey ranch house, then these Bombay patients had only an empty lot.

Since its discovery this condition – called the Bombay phenotype – has turned up in other people, although it remains exceedingly rare. And as far as scientists can tell, there's no harm that comes from it. The only known medical risk it presents comes when it's time for a blood transfusion. Those with the Bombay phenotype can only accept blood from other people with the same condition. Even blood type O, supposedly the universal blood type, can kill them.

Edited by Gerli

Newbie question: where did the SCV-8 Blue Roses come from?

I looked through 8 pages of search results going back to 2003 but couldn't find anything that mentioned the origins.

Thanks..

Erm... what's the source you found a reference to "SCV-8 Blue Roses" in?

I ask because that's not a Macross squadron designation... Macross largely uses a US Navy-inspired designation system, while the only usage of "SCV" that leaps to mind was in an unofficial tech manual (Sky Angels) as an alternate hull classification symbol for the ARMD-class space carriers. SCV/ARMD-8 was listed as the carrier Midway.

EDIT: Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix lists the squadron VF-8 as the "Vigilantes".

EDIT 2: The only google results I'm coming up with for "SCV-8" is one of the alternate license plates for the popemobile.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The only references to the SCV-8 Blue Roses I found were on many custom valk models posted on these forums - before that I had never heard of them, hence the reason I asked.

I couldn't find any reference to them either of the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie book #1 or #2 (I don't have the Squadrons books yet). Nor was it mentioned in This Is Animation: Macross Plus Variable Fighter's Aeroreport where some other squadrons are.

As for the SVC designation, there are references to SVC-133 "Starhunters" (pg125) and SVC-131 (pg91) in the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 #2 book.

I actually was organizing a list of the printed squadrons (bored waiting for the VFMF Squadrons book from HLJ) when I came across multiple posts here talking about SVC-8.

The only references to the SCV-8 Blue Roses I found were on many custom valk models posted on these forums - before that I had never heard of them, hence the reason I asked.

I couldn't find any reference to them either of the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie book #1 or #2 (I don't have the Squadrons books yet). Nor was it mentioned in This Is Animation: Macross Plus Variable Fighter's Aeroreport where some other squadrons are.

As for the SVC designation, there are references to SVC-133 "Starhunters" (pg125) and SVC-131 (pg91) in the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 #2 book.

I actually was organizing a list of the printed squadrons (bored waiting for the VFMF Squadrons book from HLJ) when I came across multiple posts here talking about SVC-8.

Okay, mystery solved... you've conflated typo'd "SVC" into "SCV". Welcome to acronym hell, population... almost everybody at some point.

SCV is a depreciated/unofficial hull classification symbol used for the ARMD-class space carriers in the Sky Angels VF-1 technical manual, and fan shorthand for "space carrier" in some threads here on MW.

SVC is a UN Spacy squadron classification symbol for a space-based composite squadron (the kind of group whose job it is being the adversaries in simulated combat). The SVC-8 Blue Roses are an (apparently unofficial) squadron for which the paint scheme was featured in the October 2002 issue of Model Graphix magazine on a VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. I don't believe they've appeared anywhere official, but they have showed up in a few other issues of the magazine.

EDIT: I just realized the "SCV" thing is probably a typo, since you copied it out as SVC-8 in your second post. I put together a similar list of squadrons on another forum already, containing everything from the Master File books out thus far and the VF Aero Report in TIA M+. There's a lot of 'em, but only one that has just a number 8... the UN Navy squad VF-8 Vigilantes in the VF-0 book.

EDIT 2: The November issue of same also has some models done in the SVC-8 Blue Roses scheme.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

EDIT 2: The only google results I'm coming up with for "SCV-8" is one of the alternate license plates for the popemobile.

A transformable popemobile.... I need to see that before I die...

Why not save you a trip? I had it all (preformatted no less) in a notepad file from when I was compiling it a ways back.

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie (Vol.1)

• SVF-1 "Skulls"
  • SVF-29 "Silver Wings"
  • SVF-20 "Outlaws"
  • "Angel Birds" Flight Demonstrator Squadron (the UN Spacy equiv. of the Blue Angels)
  • SVF-122 "Big Aces" (a Zentradi squad)
  • SVF-65 "Blue Knights"
  • SVA-163 "Flying Fleas"
  • SVF-46 "Gold Wings"
  • SVF-51 "Yellowjackets"
  • SVF-85 "Blue Falcons"

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie (Vol.2) "Space Wing"

• SVF-50 "Spirits of the Sword"
  • SVF-13 "Plungers"
  • SVC-113 "Star Hunters"
  • SVAW-12 "Prairie Dogs"
  • SVF-43 "Grime Wolves"
  • SVF-41 "Black Aces"
  • SVF-74 "Grime Fighters"
  • SVF-92 "Cleavers"
  • SVF-124 "Moonshadows"
  • SVFM-31 "Hawks"
  • SVF-69 "Big Dippers"
  • SVF-26 "Royal Cavaliers"
  • SVF-56 "Griffons"
  • SVF-77 "Seven Stars"
  • SVF-113 "Great Bisons"
  • SVF-144 "Cloverleaves"
  • SVF-197 "Hammerheads"
  • SVF-61 "War Babies"

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-19 Excalibur

• SVF-663 "Muskets"
  • SVF-569 "Lightnings"
  • SVF-440 "Dullahans"
  • SVFC-222 "Valkyries"
  • SVF-73 "Sidewinders"
  • SVF-166 "Tiger Waves"
  • SVF-37 "Red Bulls"
  • SVF-290 "Black Sabers"
  • SVF-242 "Guardians"
  • SVF-315 "Cheyennes"
  • SVF-158 "Iron Riders"
  • SVF-137 "Metal Robins"
  • "Emerald Force" (Special Forces)
  • "Sound Force" (Special Forces/Irregulars)
  • SVF-523 "Sonic Riders"

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah

• SVF-522 "Stampede Thunders"
  • SVF-1202 "Fireballs"
  • SVF-121 "Regulus"
  • SVF-173 "Ripsnorters"
  • "Angel Mates" Flight Demonstrator Squadron
  • SVF-152 "Star Streaks"
  • SVF-188 "Fire Stars"
  • SVF-255 "Samurai Fighters"
  • SVF-332 "Strato Falcons"
  • SVF-502 "Electric Dragons"
  • SVF-415 "Storm Birds"

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-0 Phoenix

• VF-1 "Skulls" (UN Spacy)
  • VF-8 "Vigilantes" (UN Navy)
  • VF-11 "Bravers" (UN Spacy Technical Research and Development Force test unit)
  • SVX-12 "Space Fighters" (UN Spacy, Orbital Weapons Test Squadron)
  • VF-38 "Green Arrows" (UN Spacy)
  • SVF-115 "Armors" (UN Spacy)
  • VF-3 "Green Arrows" (UN Navy)
  • VF-12 "Firebirds" (UN Navy)
  • VMFAT-203 "Hawks" (UN Marines, Training Squadron)

Tenjin Hidetaka: Art Works of Macross: VALKYRIES ~ Second Sortie

• SVF-1 "Skulls"
  • SVF-569 "Lightnings"
  • VMFAT-203 "Hawks" (UN Marines)
  • SVF-124 "Moon Shooters"
  • SVF-41 "Black Aces"
  • VF-2 "Sonicbirds" (UN Navy)

From the Squadrons book:

Carrier Air Wing 1 (CVS-101 Prometheus)

• SVF-1 "Skulls"
  • SVF-2 "Sonicbirds"
  • SVF-20 "Outlaws"
  • SVF-63 [uNNAMED]
  • SVF-28 "Knightriders"

Carrier Air Wing 9 (SDF-1 Macross)

• SVF-48 "Blue Hawks"
  • SVF-38 "Green Arrows"
  • SVF-6 [uNNAMED]
  • SVF-22 [uNNAMED]
  • SVF-13 [uNNAMED]
  • SVF-44 "Gunpod Fighters"
  • SVF-32 "Shooting Stars"

Carrier Air Wing 14 (CVS-101 Prometheus)

• SVF-68
  • SVF-37 "Red Bulls"

Other Units

• SVF-5 "Hustlers" (ARMD-1 H.J. Niven)
  • SVF-34 "Kingfishers" (CVW-33)
  • SVF-105 "Percivals" (ARMD-6 Constellation/CVW-8)
  • SVF-54 "Bicorns" (CVW-11)*
  • SVF-47 "Williams" (CVW-17)*
  • VF-11 "Bravers"
  • SVF-90 "Millennium Goblins" (ARMD-6 Constellation)
  • VMS-38 "Night Stalkers"
  • VMS-39
  • SVFR-7 "Screwhawks"
  • SVF-50 "Spirits of the Sword"

Variable Fighter's Aero Report

• SVF-41 "Black Aces" (UN Spacy VF-1J)
  • SVF-145 "Easyriders" (UN Spacy, VF-1D)
  • 9th Air Force, 723rd Tactical Fighter Wing (UN Spacy Air Force, VF-1J)
  • VF-2 "Sonicbirds" (UN Navy, VF-1A)
  • SVF-38 "Green Arrows" (UN Spacy, VF-1A)
  • SVF-82 "Dirty Sluggers" (UN Spacy, VF-1J)
  • SVF-212 "Black Knights" (UN Spacy, VF-1J)
  • SVMAT-102 (UN Spacy Marines, VT-1)
  • SVT-24 (UN Spacy, VT-1)
  • SVF-184 "Iron Chiefs" (UN Spacy, VF-4A)
  • SVMF-42 "Blue Phoenixes" (UN Spacy Marines, VF-4A)
  • SVF-95 "White Rocks" (UN Spacy, VF-4A)
  • 38th Air Force, 644th Tactical Fighter Wing (UN Spacy Air Force, VF-11C)
  • SVF-72 "Black Eagles" (UN Spacy, VF-11C)
  • SVF-110 "Mighty Wings" (UN Spacy, VF-11C)
  • SVF-35 "Blue Steels" (UN Spacy, VF-11B)
  • SVF-477 "Stingers" (UN Spacy, VF-11C)
  • SVF-411 "Blue Lancers" (UN Spacy, VF-11B)
  • SVA-145 "Cloud Dancers" (UN Spacy, VA-3)
  • SVF-33
  • SVF-71 "Star Lions" (UN Spacy, VF-5000B)
  • 28th Air Force, 313th Tactical Fighter Wing "Mosquitos" (UN Spacy Air Force, VF-5000B)
  • SVF-124 "Moon Shooters" (UN Spacy, VF-17D)
  • SVMF-45 "Luna Guards" (UN Spacy Marines, VF-17D)
Edited by Seto Kaiba

Awesome thanks!

No problemo... though that doesn't include certain formations that either aren't squadrons proper or are of unclear designation like the 727th Independent Special Command "Ravens" or 815th Independent Special Command "Havamal", Antares squadron from Macross Galaxy, and squadrons/special forces teams from character backstory like Scarecrow Squadron, the Ruby Maces, Black Rays, (all from VF-X2 characters) and Round Table (Macross R).

Does anyone know how many rockets are in the 7 tube hexagonal pods for the VF-0D on the new Arcadia model? The pods are so long it looks like there could be 2 or 3 in each cell.

Probably three, if it fits the pattern of the other multi-tube micro-missile launcher pods... though that's a new one on me, since the only VF-0-issue micro-missile pack I have info on is the 8-tube GH-28A that was used on the VF-0A near the end of Macross Zero and that's got 24 (so 3 per tube).

Great list Seto. Thanks for doing all that work.

's no problem. Just glad folks are enjoying it.

If memory serves, she became the leading Protoculture scientist, and later became the leader of the 117th Research Fleet that was investigating the Vajra.

Also keep in mind that culturally the Japanese SDF are more a civilian body, not your traditional military as is found elsewhere in the world. So having a civilian leader of a military operation is not that foreign to the target audience.

• SVFM-31 "Hawks"
  • 9th Air Force, 723rd Tactical Fighter Wing (UN Spacy Air Force, VF-1J)
  • VF-2 "Sonicbirds" (UN Navy, VF-1A)
  • SVMF-42 "Blue Phoenixes" (UN Spacy Marines, VF-4A)
  • 38th Air Force, 644th Tactical Fighter Wing (UN Spacy Air Force, VF-11C)
  • 28th Air Force, 313th Tactical Fighter Wing "Mosquitos" (UN Spacy Air Force, VF-5000B)
  • SVMF-45 "Luna Guards" (UN Spacy Marines, VF-17D

Gratifiying to see other branches of the military represented in these squadron names.

The UNS Marines, the UN Navy and UN Airforce. B))

So what's this?

idSWW3L.png

I've been considering it to be either a Galaxy Fleet scout or fighter craft (nothing official has been mentioned about it).

Though, I like Azrael's interpretation/description.

I've been considering it to be either a Galaxy Fleet scout or fighter craft (nothing official has been mentioned about it).

Though, I like Azrael's interpretation/description.

From the shape, ever since Macross R I've suspected that it's one of the earlier YF-27 prototypes.

As listed in the Compedium, this was the first video release.

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross I
Macross Special

Contains episode 1 (Booby Trap) and 2 (Countdown)

47 minutes, color, monoaural

VBG-5 (Beta II)
VTG-5 (VHS)
Victor

1983 November 21 (Beta II)
1983 December 16 (VHS)

Y12381
Y12800 (tax included)

The ultimate guide is "Macross Chronicle" (revised ed. obviously being preferably to the original).

Beyond that, there are a few magazine articles that provide those details for the key, or main VFs in the series produced at the time of their printing.

After that, there are some publications for specific series that occasionally have those kinds of details for some of the vehicles that appeared in the respective series.

Here's a list that MW compiled a couple of years ago:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34738

Edited by sketchley