Macross 30... Working on Translation Guide

Zoroastres

Wow, had to let you know. Your guide has been a life saver. It has made this game so much the better.

P.S. There is enough already, anything else you add will be icing on the cake. However, don't forget your studies. :)

Been playing it all afternoon/Night ,holy lord of lords I love this game.

But God it pains me that I cant understand any of the many interviews and clips in the gallery...exspecailly the Mari and Lego YF-30 videos :(

Great work with the Translation guide helped me get my bearings but once you know whats what its pretty simple to navigate and know what items are what :)

Now that I've beaten the game I'm really curious what the plot was. Some of my questions are a bit spoilerish so I will hide them.

Are the characters like Guld and Misa time travellers, clones, people from an alternate dimension or something else? I assume Ouroboros is something to do with the Protoculture, and that the project is the old man's attempt to harness their power? What happens after the game ends, will Guld and Misa do they go back to their own time and forget what has happened? Also are there any parts of this game that are supposed to be canon?

Also, did it seem to anyone else that they where pairing up Guld and Grace O'Connor, or am I just imagining things?

Wow, had to let you know. Your guide has been a life saver. It has made this game so much the better.

P.S. There is enough already, anything else you add will be icing on the cake. However, don't forget your studies. :)

Yeah, thanks. Just finished my exam a few hours ago. First thing I did when I got back was fire up the game and blow through the second chapter. Of course, then I saw the Basara scene, so I just -had- to fire up my Macross 7 DVDs. Got one more exam this week to deal with (thursday)... luckily that one is essay-format, so I just need to finish up my reading.

Anyway, re: Juton, at least as far into the game as I am, the implication is that the characters are "displaced" in time--that is, they're technically time travelers, but are not traveling of their own volition. Every time Leo meets someone, he asks 'em what year they think it is, and they always think it's something different. IIRC, Mylene said it was 2049 or something, which struck me as odd, because (watching those first few episodes of M7 again) the series took place in 2045. Maybe I heard wrong.

Anyway, did a quick small update today. A few more shop inventory items, and a few more blueprints, and a few format revisions to make ALL OF THOSE GODDAMN TABLES take up a little less space. Most notably, the list of special items (stuff you equip) should now be complete--every single item & every single effect.

Also, I've had some people contact me about problems downloading the guide. Has anyone else here had an issue? I tried accessing the final while signed out of Google, and I was able to download it. So far as I can tell, everyone (who has the URL) should be able to access the guide.

Edited by Zoroastres

All righty, just a small update tonight--added a few more blueprints locations, fixed some romanizations. Still have that thursday exam looming, but I hope to get the guide 100% completed over the weekend.

Anyway, due to some issues I detailed in the post I'm about to link to, I'd appreciate it if anyone here with a GameFAQs account would send in a sticky request for this thread. My experience with GameFAQs stuff has been uniformly terrible this past week or so, so even if I ever do get around to submitting a guide to them, it won't be for a while. I'd like the make the guide a bit more visible so there are fewer instances of people saying, "translation guide? What translation guide?" And things like that.

EDIT: went ahead and put in the Slate Locations List for those of ya' who really dig the trophies.

Edited by Zoroastres

I'm not sure if anyone is interested but...

I just ordered a gaming capture device off of Amazon. I'm hoping I'll be able to possibly do some kind of Let's play or some kind of chapter break up video involving character dialogues up in a organized way.

I'm hoping it will help out if someone is interested in translating story dialogue or get some kind of rough idea of the story. In combination I also have a video editing program so I'm hoping I might possibly be able to take some screenshots that way as well.

It will probably take me a week or so to get my hands on the recording device though.

Edited by SkyYuyo

At the very least, I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out w/ some captures of menus I don't have yet & remaining auto-skill icons.

As for translating story dialog... there's too much. I would strongly recommend against even attempting to fully translate all the dialog. When I finish the game, I could write out some brief summaries of each chapter, but as it will likely be a -long- time before I finish the game, I was hoping someone here would help out with that.

But, yeah, good luck getting that recording device (& getting it up and running). It's always lovely to get a new toy from Amazon. I just got a nice big Intuos Drawing pad, myself. Haven't had time to play with it yet due to exams, but after my last test today I'm hoping to figure things out. Never really used anything like it before, hope it works well. Think I'll start out with a Macross sketch, 'cause those Yamato figures make such great models.

Yeah I should be able to help get menus for you atleast. Where is the auto skills part exactly? I didn't really get that far in to the game yet. I remember the last thing I did was open up the Hunter's Guild but I'm just start over on easy when I get the recorder to just get to everything as fast I can.

As for the plot... unfortunately, I was suppose to take Japanese 102 this semester but it got dropped due to low enrollment. The most I only know of is the very basics from my Japanese 101 class. So, I'm thinking the best I can do story wise other then understanding it or picking up the jist of what was said sometimes was to record the dialogue for it.

PS. I think I might of found a possible error on the guide.

72cebeba-4766-459a-928b-1632faac8c67_zps

Edited by SkyYuyo

Any and all help is much appreciated! As for auto-skills, when you go into the Hangar's flight deck (where you select your aircraft and tune it) you can also customize your pilot a bit. Not much, but some. You can select a growth rate which determines how stat points are allocated upon leveling up, and you can assign up to three auto-skills. They've all got little indicative icons things that would be easier for the katakana illiterate to associate.

And yes, that was indeed an error. I've gone ahead and fixed it. (I prefer C, hate A).

Anyway, I'm done with midterms!
So, before I go off to watch some Macross Seven, maybe play some Tomb Raider, here's today's small-ish update:
-Added 7 sidequests (now have 196 out of 201)
-Added complete story mission information (not something most people need, but I figure it's good to have)
-Added a few more blueprints locations.
-Restored missing photo-translations
-Added footer/page numbers & table of contents w/ page-breaks between most sections/subsections to make it easier for people to see what's in the guide, and find what they need.
Edited by Zoroastres

I see a "Skuld" under Hunter Guild Quest. Reminded me of the classic anime "Ah My Goddess" with other characters like Belldandy (Verthandi) and Urd (Urthr). Hehehe...

*sigh*

AMG is one of those terrible "classic" manga that, while good, just keeps going and going and going and going and going. I don't think it will ever end. Looking at you, too, Detective Conan.

Anyway, I've updated a bunch of small things and I'll probably continue to do so today. I'll go into the details in a later post, once I can organize things in my head (and in the document) a bit better. I do have a comment and a question for everyone, however.

1.) Comment: please don't PM me if you have a question about the game/guide. I don't always see those, and I most likely won't be able to reply to you as quickly as you want. I'd recommend either emailing me if you need to get in touch with me directly (I've edited the first post of this thread to reflect that, w/ my email--which is also included in the guide doc--as I usually check my email 3-4 times daily, or--and this is probably the better option--actually posting your question in either this thread, or the Hints & Tips thread. The benefit of posing the question to a forum should be obvious--all the fine people here and MWF will be able to answer questions/help you out, which is a much better solution than relying solely on me!

2.) Question: regarding the formatting of the guide.... GoogleDocs has slightly different page breaks than the document on my PC (using OpenOffice). I'm thinking, to make the guide look "cleaner" when accessing online, that I should add artificial page breaks between every section and sub-section. I've done a few of these already. The downside is that it will increase the amount of empty "white space" in the guide. Does anyone have an opinion on this? And any other organizational comments--any thing I can do to clarify things, make the guide easier to navigate, etc. are, of course, most welcome.

EDIT: Will be working on a few things moving on. First, a list of content I still need to add to the guide (an increasingly short list). After that, I'm thinking that since some people have had issues with GoogleDocs, I'll try putting all of the guide stuff on my blog w/ each section a different post, to make jumping from section to section easier, and to make for online viewing via tablest/phones/whatever easier.

Edited by Zoroastres

Well I just got my game capture device today and been testing it abit. It's like 2GBs for a 10 min video for the best settings on it hopefully if I render it in Sony Vegas it will shrink the size down abit. I tried a test video involving the opening of the game but the audio got blocked on youtube by sony music.

This is alittle weird since there are a couple of videos of the opening on youtube right now but I dont think I have a ground to stand on to dispute it with it just being the opening itself. The good news is the picture quality looks great though (it was the best one I saw on youtube anyways).

As for the Icons I only have the two you got on my list since I'm in the beginning. I'm going to have to push forward to get more icons or if there is someone who can send me a zip file of their game save that is pretty far in already or beaten the game I can use that and snapshot as much as I can. 90% of PS3 game saves are not locked and can be copied over with a Thumb drive.

So if anyone has a game save I can use. Please send it to SkyYuyo@hotmail.com Thanks. If not I'll try to advance as soon as I can.

For the menus do you want me to just go around the hanger/ on the field menus taking snapshots?

Edited by SkyYuyo

Here's one I don't think anyone has asked yet... What is the difference between super/fast packs being set to type "A" or "B?" I can gather it has something to do with either HP or "SPA."

Does that mean you either keep it till it takes 100% damage versus being able to jettison it manually somehow? I'm not even sure what the SPA gauge indicates...

Could I also request a basic summary of "auto mode" and "auto battle?" I didn't know those were exclusive of one another but the manual seems to suggest they're different toggles, and maybe only available on easy mode?

If someone can translate the manual text-wise for me, I would be happy to convert it to a photo-translation.

Okay, I just went straight to sleep last night so I forgot a bunch of the little things I did to the guide. Of what I can remember, here's what's new:

• Story summary for chapter 1.
  • Additional blueprints information (still not complete).
  • Guild Quests now have (where known) time-frame information--tells you during which story quest the guild quest becomes available, and at the end of which story quest the guild quest expires.
  • Additional guild quest information--reward & requirement information filled in for the few blank areas--and new quests added. New tally is.... (drumroll).... 200 out of 201! So I'm either missing only one guild quest now, or I initially mis-counted things and there are only 200 total.
  • More information on Delivery items--specifically where/how to obtain.

Well I just got my game capture device today and been testing it abit. It's like 2GBs for a 10 min video for the best settings on it hopefully if I render it in Sony Vegas it will shrink the size down abit. I tried a test video involving the opening of the game but the audio got blocked on youtube by sony music.

This is alittle weird since there are a couple of videos of the opening on youtube right now but I dont think I have a ground to stand on to dispute it with it just being the opening itself. The good news is the picture quality looks great though (it was the best one I saw on youtube anyways).

As for the Icons I only have the two you got on my list since I'm in the beginning. I'm going to have to push forward to get more icons or if there is someone who can send me a zip file of their game save that is pretty far in already or beaten the game I can use that and snapshot as much as I can. 90% of PS3 game saves are not locked and can be copied over with a Thumb drive.

So if anyone has a game save I can use. Please send it to SkyYuyo@hotmail.com Thanks. If not I'll try to advance as soon as I can.

For the menus do you want me to just go around the hanger/ on the field menus taking snapshots?

I'll make a list of what I need when I have some more time to look at the game & compare it to what is and is not in the guide later tonight. So... just wait a bit.

Here's one I don't think anyone has asked yet... What is the difference between super/fast packs being set to type "A" or "B?" I can gather it has something to do with either HP or "SPA."

Does that mean you either keep it till it takes 100% damage versus being able to jettison it manually somehow? I'm not even sure what the SPA gauge indicates...

I'll have to load up the game to read that, so give me a few ours. SPA guage is the circular indicator on the HUD w/ six bars that indicates your SP... which is consumed for charged, SP and partner stuff.

Could I also request a basic summary of "auto mode" and "auto battle?" I didn't know those were exclusive of one another but the manual seems to suggest they're different toggles, and maybe only available on easy mode?

If someone can translate the manual text-wise for me, I would be happy to convert it to a photo-translation.

That sounds... a bit odd. Auto-battle? Auto-mode? I don't recall seeing anything like that in-game. Maybe it's just for easy mode? I'll look into it. If there is an "auto" mode, maybe it refers to auto-aiming (which happens on any difficulty w/ control settings A and in fighter mode).

Okay, I just went straight to sleep last night so I forgot a bunch of the little things I did to the guide. Of what I can remember, here's what's new:

• Guild Quests now have (where known) time-frame information--tells you during which story quest the guild quest becomes available, and at the end of which story quest the guild quest expires.
  • Additional guild quest information--reward & requirement information filled in for the few blank areas--and new quests added. New tally is.... (drumroll).... 200 out of 201! So I'm either missing only one guild quest now, or I initially mis-counted things and there are only 200 total.

I'll make a list of what I need when I have some more time to look at the game & compare it to what is and is not in the guide later tonight. So... just wait a bit.

I'll have to load up the game to read that, so give me a few ours. SPA guage is the circular indicator on the HUD w/ six bars that indicates your SP... which is consumed for charged, SP and partner stuff.

That sounds... a bit odd. Auto-battle? Auto-mode? I don't recall seeing anything like that in-game. Maybe it's just for easy mode? I'll look into it. If there is an "auto" mode, maybe it refers to auto-aiming (which happens on any difficulty w/ control settings A and in fighter mode).

The auto-battle mode is only an option if you play on the Easy difficulty setting apparently.

The auto-battle mode is only an option if you play on the Easy difficulty setting apparently.

All right... looks like I'll have some more time to work on things/play the game now, as the damned Blizzard -still- isn't letting up. Yeesh.

Anyway, looking at the super packs... I can't make out the third kanji. I just can't. So I very well may be missing something fundamental to the meaning. But, from what I can gather, this is what everything means:

Type A: Does not purge equipment when HP reaches 0, SPA (special attack) remains normal.

Type B: Automatically purge equipment when HP reaches 0, but can use equipment's SP skills.

Basically, type-B let's you use better SP attacks (and charged attacks?). So, for example, when if you do a type-A SP attack, it's the same attack as if you've got no pack equipped... you won't use any of the extra weapons in the pack.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OKAY: Here's that list thing I said I'd make of content that still needs to be included in the guide. If there's a parenthetical, that means I probably don't need anyone to volunteer--if I say 'possibly covered by contributor,' that means someone has volunteered to write up that content for me; if I say 'will take from japanese wiki,' that means I'll be grabbing the information I need off the wiki whenever it's updated.

What I Still Need

Screenshots:

1. Inventory item icons: special items (jewel?); quest items (box w/ exclamation point); armor parts; frame parts; engine parts.
  2. Auto-Skill icons
  3. Gallery menu; gallery's record screen menu--specifically, all of the third column. Would likely need two screen-grabs to capture full list.
  4. Mechanic's Room w/ aircraft construction menu open (showing all of the parts, and the blueprint requirements).
  5. Aircraft customization screen (opened up so you can see all of the TP options)
  6. Equipment pack customization screen (showing that Type-A/Type-B stuff)

Content:

1. Story summaries for chapter 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. (possibly covered by contributor: Hayatekanzaki, GameFAQs).
  2. Brief character bios for franchise characters, Mylene, Basara, Max, etc. (possibly covered by contributor).
  3. Full race information (will take from japanese wiki when there).
  4. Full blueprint information (will take from japanese wiki when there).
  5. Guild quest expiration times
  6. "Proper" romanizations of all field locations--basically, correcting my romanizations.
  7. "Proper" romanizations of all character names--basically, correcting my romanizations. I guess with whatever spellings the fandom is most familiar with (from fansubs?).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And... that's it. The guide is pretty much done! How cool is that? I double-checked the war record screen, and there are only 200 total guild quests, so I've got 100% of those! The only "big" thing content-wise I'm not 100% complete on are blueprints and races.

Edited by Zoroastres

Okay sent over two emails of screenshots. I didn't take any of the gallery since my gallery has a bunch of ????. I think I got the icons (not sure about the Armor icon) for you but I'm not sure if they are useable because they are taken from the hanger. I wish there was a gallery of just icons but I couldn't find any.

Took some shots of the Hanger, tuning tabs, customization ship builder, and took some pictures of the two auto skills you already have in the hanger. As well as a couple of other screen shots which include the different control layouts Type A, B,C.

I couldn't find the Equipment pack customization screen with the Type-A/Type-B. If someone can point me to where it is I'll take a snapshot of it. I might of not unlocked it yet.

Hopefully some of these will be of use. Like I said if someone has a late game save they can send me I can use that to get the rest of the auto-skills/gallery(maybe).

Tomorrow or later tonight I'll start a new game on easy and just go as far as I can. Disregarding the hunter guild to try to get more stuff unlocked/screenshot.

Edited by SkyYuyo

All right... version 0.96 update: 100% of blueprints are in, including DLC blueprints. Apparently there are 3 different DLC aircraft... can someone clarify that for me? I know the YF-29 30th came free with all first printings of the game... but what about the VF-1J 30th and VF-25 20th?

Anyway, thank you SkyYuyo for the screen-grabs. I'll sort through those tomorrow, and once I do the last few photo-translations it'll be the big one-point-oh... and then I'll paste everything into a web guide to make things easier for folks.

Oh, @SkyYuyo: I can understand why the first two columns of the gallery would be all ???? question marks, but are you saying you don't have anything for the third column? That's really the only one I need--the first two columns are just completed missions & races.

All right... version 0.96 update: 100% of blueprints are in, including DLC blueprints. Apparently there are 3 different DLC aircraft... can someone clarify that for me? I know the YF-29 30th came free with all first printings of the game... but what about the VF-1J 30th and VF-25 20th?

Anyway, thank you SkyYuyo for the screen-grabs. I'll sort through those tomorrow, and once I do the last few photo-translations it'll be the big one-point-oh... and then I'll paste everything into a web guide to make things easier for folks.

Oh, @SkyYuyo: I can understand why the first two columns of the gallery would be all ???? question marks, but are you saying you don't have anything for the third column? That's really the only one I need--the first two columns are just completed missions & races.

Sorry, feel like an idiot found the gallery thing you were talking about I thought you wanted everything at first... I'm sending them to you now.

As for the DLC I got three from the limited edition.

1) VF-1S (30th)- Which has Mylene Jenius & Lynn Minmay on it.

2) VF-25F (30th)- Ranka & Sheryl (Wedding Dresses?)

3) VF-29 (30th)- Ranka & Sheryl (Stage outfits)

I can take screen grabs of those if you want them for some reason as well.

Also how do I upgrade my Valk to Rank 2? I built a new one but can't seem to upgrade my VF-00 to Rank 2 no matter what I do even though in the mechanic area It has two stars right above it but when I go to my layout It has only one star.

Edited by SkyYuyo

You have to get Rank II blueprints (and Rank III, when you get there). Any Valk that can be constructed (either new, or upgraded to a higher rank) will be outlined in yellow.

And I think, with what you've sent me, I'm pretty good for screens. All that's left are skill icons.

---

Anyway, odd note: apparently the in-game map for the glacier area is wrong. What it says is Hroptr Ruins is actually Furoputo Base(?) and what it says is Furoputo Base(?) is actually Hroptr Ruins. Weird. I can correct that in my map... I'll just assume that none of the quests have similar errors.

Ah I see.

I only have the auto-guard and repair auto skill unlocked now. So like I said earlier if you or anyone else is further in the game then me. They can just send me Ps3 save of their game via email SkyYuyo@hotmail.com which is easy to copy the game save by sticking a thumb drive in a controller/USB slot for the PS3. Since I don't think this game has locked saves. That way I get screenshot more of them.

And what exactly the songstress powers do please.

I'm having a really difficult time translating those.... and noticing what is affected on foes while under fire.

---

Now I feel bad. :( I had an old version of the guide up, my apologies.

Edited by Kaldar5

Those are the support skills. They've been in the guide for nearly a week now. Please actually look at the guide before asking questions.

Anyway, version 0.97 update: re-wrote menu translations section for greater clarity; added some new photo-translations. The big news? I spent an inordinate amount of time setting up a web version of the guide. Should be much easier to access/navigate than Googledocs. It's HERE. I'll also go ahead and post the table of contents here, and in the first post in this thread.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
INTRODUCTION
Game Information
Controls
Gameplay Tips
MENU TRANSLATIONS
My Ship Menu
Town Menu
In-Game Menu
CHARACTERS & STORY
Story Premise
Characters
Plot Summary (Spoilers!)
SKILLS
Auto-Skills
Support Skills
FIELD MAPS
Yuria Archipelago
Sierra Desert
Madis Glacier
STORY QUESTS
Chapter 1: Planet Ouroboros
Chapter 2: Harsh Cry of the Ancients' Servants
Chapter 3: Fold Out
Chapter 4: The Desert Land
Chapter 5: Desperate Rescue
Chapter 6: First Live
Chapter 7: Havamal Madness
Chapter 8: Sharon's Revenge
Chapter 9: Voices Across the Galaxy
HUNTER GUILD QUESTS
Daoren (Yuria Archipelago)
Vrlitwhal City (Yuria Archipelago)
Yue (Yuria Archipelago)
Leopold City (Yuria Archipelago)
Bowen (Yuria Archipelago)
Cleef Town (Sierra Desert)
Moriconehill (Sierra Desert)
Ramad (Sierra Desert)
Raghbar (Sierra Desert)
Jurgen (Sierra Desert)
Urthr (Madis Glacier)
Verthandi (Madis Glacier)
Skuld (Madis Glacier)
ITEMS & SHOPS
Consumable Items
Special Equipment
Delivery Quest Items
Blueprints
Yuria Archipelago Shops
Sierra Desert Shops
Madis Glacier Shops
SECRETS & EXTRAS
New Game Plus
Races
Slate Locations List
Trophy List
Custom Music
DLC Aircraft
MISCELLANY
Frequently Asked Questions
Update Log
Credits & Acknowledgments

Wow awesome man!

Did those item icons (Exclamation point box, Jewel) work for you? not really sure if they were since I could only get a picture of them in the hanger. So not sure if they were of good quality.

Noticed that page 8 has a extra bulletin point and page 15 is blank. Not a big deal at all especially since it is a pre 1.0 guide and you probably already spotted them. Just point them out is all.

Let me know if you need anything more from me.

GoogleDocs screws up the formatting for some reason. It won't display the same number of lines per page in the googledoc viewer as there are in the actual doc.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and those icons did help. I haven't put them into the guide yet as I'm not certain how I want to use them. The only thing left that I need is just the skill icons.... but, yeah, for the most part, the guide is done.

Edited by Zoroastres

Thank you very very much!

I finished the game using the Type A controller (I know... I'm an old, casual gamer) and now I'm re-playing it using your guide to complete the quests.

Regarding the controller, I found Type A easier because the lock on targets stays on, that way I could focus on evading attacks hehe. But completing the races is IMPOSSIBLE with Type A controller.

Thank you very much again for the guide!