What's the most you've done for a single toy?

aceoftherebellion

So thanks to a mailing snafu (not the sender's fault), a package of mine accidentally got sent to my old hometown. After calling the post office and getting nowhere, I just decided to take the drive back to pick it up in person, from SoCal all the way to NorCal. Honestly I just chalk it up to 'just my luck' and laugh the whole thing off, but it's got me thinking- what's the most any of you have ever done for a single toy?

What are your most harrowing tales, furthest trips, biggest hassles, highest hurdles? Which mountains have you had to sing at to get sweet plastic satisfaction?

Glad that worked out for you, as much as I enjoy road trips I probably would have done the same.

I don't have any personal stories that go in that direction, mostly just paying too much or most recently staying up way too late trying to secure a pre-order for a certain company's Frontier merchandise. :ph34r:

-b.

Same thing with Kanedas Bike and Saburo, staying up late and hoping to get a preorder for a tenth of a second. And right now the single toy I remember for doing the most is purchasing my Holy (VF-4)Grail. (Thanks once again to Kanedas Bike. ^_^) And that's dipping in my emergency pocket. Hahaha! :lol:

Saving up for that vf-4. It's a small mech with 1 good looking mode. But it cost me quite a lot.

And the thing doesn't even come with a gunpod. Even the yf-19 despite being pricey gave us loads of extras. And it's not tiny like vf-4.

But now that I have it i am glad as it isn't something that I'd ever expect to see mass produced and what you get is quality.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Like KB, paying too much and staying up late for pre-orders that close in a less than a second. LOL

me too. I was at friends house and he had the Yamato SDF-1 unopened and he said he lost the love for Macross so I gave him $400 for it right there and took it home with me.

I think the most I had to do for a single toy is with the Yamato SDF-1. By the time I was willing to fork out some cash for it, the last remaining copy on Mandarake had sold out. I had to stake out the usual places like Jungle, Japan Yahoo Auction, and Mandarake for a month, checking every hour to see if one pops out. I got lucky one evening when checking Mandarake, and proceeded to check out immediately without even reading about the price and the condition of the toy. Luckily, I got it at a relatively good price and the toy was in perfect condition when I finally got it. The shipping was a hassle but it was all worth it! Happy to mess around with it for a while before finally putting it on display with the rest of my Valkyries.

me too. I was at friends house and he had the Yamato SDF-1 unopened and he said he lost the love for Macross so I gave him $400 for it right there and took it home with me.

You sir owe that friend a drink, that was a GREAT deal. :lol:

-b.

I think the most I've done would be a 5 hour round trip drive to pickup a cheap Valk but got stuck in bumper to bumper Sydney traffic.. a well price (local) Valk then cost me a 5h!t load in fuel.. Most I have paid for Valks would now be the 4x VF-0D I just pre-ordered!

Wow... I have only done 3 purchases that were local pick up and all 3 were no more than a 20 min drive from my place. You sir are a dedicated collector! :D

Edited by Saburo

Wow... I have only done 3 purchases that were local pick up and all 3 were no more than a 20 min drive from my place. You sir are a dedicated collector! :D

hehe! yeah you could say that! all that pain for a VF-1S.. but it was mint and at a price I couldn't refuse! I live in the North West of the Sydney and had to travel through the city to South Sydney during peak hour traffic and there were multiple accidents which affected flow in both directions.. and choosing to use the harbor tunnel was also a huge mistake.. it was a car park. Sydney roads suck ass! :p

Edited by spanner76

hehe! yeah you could say that! all that pain for a VF-1S.. but it was mint and at a price I couldn't refuse! I live in the North West of the Sydney and had to travel through the city to South Sydney during peak hour traffic and there were multiple accidents which affected flow in both directions.. and choosing to use the harbor tunnel was also a huge mistake.. it was a car park. Sydney roads suck ass! :p

I can imagine you sitting in stuck in all that traffic, trying to get home and looking over at the VF-1S box. That must have been frustrating, but when you finally got home and opened it you felt accomplished that the Epic Quest of VF-1S was done. :lol:

You, sir, are lucky. ;) Hope Kanedas Bike will lose interest on his VF-4G's soon. :D Hey b! Hahaha!

I think the most I had to do for a single toy is with the Yamato SDF-1. By the time I was willing to fork out some cash for it, the last remaining copy on Mandarake had sold out. I had to stake out the usual places like Jungle, Japan Yahoo Auction, and Mandarake for a month, checking every hour to see if one pops out. I got lucky one evening when checking Mandarake, and proceeded to check out immediately without even reading about the price and the condition of the toy. Luckily, I got it at a relatively good price and the toy was in perfect condition when I finally got it. The shipping was a hassle but it was all worth it! Happy to mess around with it for a while before finally putting it on display with the rest of my Valkyries.

Is this the 1/3000 version, abbadon? If so, you too are one lucky guy. ;)

I think the most I've done would be a 5 hour round trip drive to pickup a cheap Valk but got stuck in bumper to bumper Sydney traffic.. a well price (local) Valk then cost me a 5h!t load in fuel.. Most I have paid for Valks would now be the 4x VF-0D I just pre-ordered!

4 VF-0D on POs??? Wow! I salute you. ;) Btw, you have 4 VF-4G's as well? :D

I can imagine you sitting in stuck in all that traffic, trying to get home and looking over at the VF-1S box. That must have been frustrating, but when you finally got home and opened it you felt accomplished that the Epic Quest of VF-1S was done. :lol:

Saburo that's uncanny! its like you were there in the car with me! LOL! :lol:

4 VF-0D on POs??? Wow! I salute you. ;) Btw, you have 4 VF-4G's as well? :D

hehe! nahh just got the 1 VF-4G.. and it was about $550 which was expensive enough at the time let alone buy more of em! :p

I think I told this story before, but I drove about an hour to get a first run MP-08 Hasbro off craigslist about 2 years ago. He sold me a sealed Walmart Skywarp and an MP-08 for about $150? He threw in a chug thundercracker too. He basically just had them in a building stuff in a storage box.

Really good deal for me obviously. I think they were selling for $250+ on ebay at the time, as this was before the great re-issuing.

I sold the MP Skywarp for about $80 bucks and got most of my money back. I sold the Chug for $20-25 to get my gas back.

So I ended up paying close to MSRP from toys-r-us at the time.

Most Macross stuff I've just bough online and had it shipped to me.

^^^Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Nope, no time soon. In fact I can't wait until I'm on the hunt to replace the one(s) I've sold. :D

-b.

Hahaha! :lol: Should I start feeling bad now for getting that VF-4G? ^_^ Oh wait... maybe you feel bad now for selling it to me? :unsure: Either or... I still feel 'lucky'. Thanks to you. :rolleyes: Hahaha! Don't worry b. I have a feeling for a VF-4G FB2012 version announcement soon. ;)

*snip*

hehe! nahh just got the 1 VF-4G.. and it was about $550 which was expensive enough at the time let alone buy more of em! :p

Well, I have a feeling you'll do the same just like you did on your VF-0D POs once they announced a VF-4G reissues. One in each mode and one for your son. Right, spanner? ^_^

^No, no. There should/are no hard feelings either way. I'm glad you got your holy grail and I needed to let it go (mostly because I shouldn't have bought it at the time anyway). Besides I still have (2) - one sealed and one on display. B))

I just like the thrill of the hunt when I collect so that's what I'm looking forward to.

-b.

^No, no. There should/are no hard feelings either way. I'm glad you got your holy grail and I needed to let it go (mostly because I shouldn't have bought it at the time anyway). Besides I still have (2) - one sealed and one on display. B))

I just like the thrill of the hunt when I collect so that's what I'm looking forward to.

-b.

Don't worry b. I'm just kidding. ;)

And this is applicable especially if it's the VF-4G, right? I'll probably do the same even if I need to sell a kidney for one. Hahaha! :lol: I still need another one to stay in Fighter mode. ^_^

Edited by no3ljm

Well, I've heard stories of certain Valks (I'm looking at you VF-17!) drawing blood, as their owners tried to transform them.

Sufferring a loss of blood for your Valk: would that qualify for this thread?

(Can't say I've personally gone through this particular experience.)

I have been temping in some really crappy Low paid jobs jobs for the last 4 years so I could scrape up enough pennies to buy a few Valks and Gundams, My most recent Macross Purchase being the VF-29 Durandal with Weapons Pack (Isamu Dyson) Colours.

I know it's a cliche, But I really Love Macross but I just wish the Valks were'nt so damned expensive!

Well, I have a feeling you'll do the same just like you did on your VF-0D POs once they announced a VF-4G reissues. One in each mode and one for your son. Right, spanner? ^_^

haha! hmmm maybe not I reckon! I've always thought that the VF-4 does look absolutely fantastic in fighter mode but im not so fond of its other modes.. And my son doesn't really care for the VF-4 much at all..

But never say never as if they do ever re-release the VF-4 maybe I'll purchase another but only to either keep fresh in the box or to re-sell down the track after they have sold out again!? :rolleyes:

oh and speaking of sheer pricing lunacy.. see link below!

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/macross/3606-choujikuu-yousai-macross-vf-4g-lightning-iii-limited-edition.html

Edited by spanner76

haha! hmmm maybe not I reckon! I've always thought that the VF-4 does look absolutely fantastic in fighter mode but im not so fond of its other modes.. And my son doesn't really care for the VF-4 much at all..

But never say never as if they do ever re-release the VF-4 maybe I'll purchase another but only to either keep fresh in the box or to re-sell down the track after they have sold out again!? :rolleyes:

oh and speaking of sheer pricing lunacy.. see link below! sorry no sale..

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/macross/3606-choujikuu-yousai-macross-vf-4g-lightning-iii-limited-edition.html

I was thinking what a game changer it would be if Arcadia announced a VF-4G weathering and extra tampo-printing version similar to the work that MacrossJunkie had done. I think most people would take at least 10 minutes to digest it before coming here to post about it! And of course everyone would buy it. Even those who had no intention of keeping it! :-)

Edited by Dimis

^Good luck! Hopefully neither of us have to sell any organs - if so that person would win this thread hands down.

:D

-b.

With my current situation and to keep up with this hobby... I might. Hahaha! :lol:

I have been temping in some really crappy Low paid jobs jobs for the last 4 years so I could scrape up enough pennies to buy a few Valks and Gundams, My most recent Macross Purchase being the VF-29 Durandal with Weapons Pack (Isamu Dyson) Colours.

I know it's a cliche, But I really Love Macross but I just wish the Valks were'nt so damned expensive!

True. That's always and forever will be everyone's complaints regarding Macross Valks. So don't worry, it's not just you. :lol:

oh and speaking of sheer pricing lunacy.. see link below!

Oh my! :blink: 2 months ago it was just Y90000 something. If that's the price then it's better to get the one in Mandarake which up to now is still Y70000. That one is there like forever. Hahaha! :lol:

Wait. Even NY have that VF-4G for ages now and they still jack up the price? :wacko:

Oh my! :blink: 2 months ago it was just Y90000 something. If that's the price then it's better to get the one in Mandarake which up to now is still Y70000. That one is there like forever. Hahaha! :lol:

Wait. Even NY have that VF-4G for ages now and they still jack up the price? :wacko:

only cos they know that some poor sod somewhere will eventually cave from of sheer desperation and buy it! :p

Edited by spanner76