Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

It looks like a Kulbit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulbit

It's not a Kulbit, as the kulbit is a tight diameter loop, and is supposed to be planar. Here is a video of the kulbit:

More like he started a cobra, went too far and stalled out into a flat spin and got lucky enough to level out almost immediately.

Absolutely not a Kulbit, and not a Herbst turn either. Kinda close to a Cobra followed by a Hook, or a Cobra-turn. But not really any of them.

I'm thinking more along the lines of what Master Dex said. It looks like he stalled out and had to recover. I guess it could have been a variation on the cobra turn, but the cobra turn actually implies a change in direction, which this pic didn't do.

So this is actually a fail? looks pretty epic for a fail, but I know nothing of aviation...

I'm betting the pilot had wished he'd worn his brown pants...

It's more likely that the pilot induced it. Not a fail, per se, as the pilot recovered. More likely it was a demonstration of the aircraft and pilot's ability to recover from a post stall situation. A fail would have resulted in a fireball.

Whoever's in charge of ordering spares for the manipulators probably hates his guts though... he's lost how many arms now? 2? 3? Sitting perfectly still and trusting the pin-point barrier to take all of the beating is not paying huge dividends.

Makina already mentioned how bad of a shape his bird comes back in. In front of him. I think the crews are are use to it now. I don't think Hayate has much of a paycheck left. Whatever he makes is taken back to pay for his bird. :lol:

If the VF-31 transforms the same way as the YF-30 (which it likely does), then the hands get tucked into pocket in the lower part of the legs so there would be storage space for ammo.

No, the VF-31's hands do not get tucked into a pocket in the lower legs like on the VF-30. I have looked into this quite extensively studying all the available toy and model pics and line-art.

While the arm cannons are stored at the juncture between the legs and wings in Fighter mode, the hands and arm shield are actually stored in the underside of the wings.

The wings are actually quite thick on the VF-31. The shield hinges out from the forearm to become a wing panel. Likewise, the hands also is stored on the underside of the wing.

post-11-0-33626300-1464046272_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-23785600-1464046444_thumb.jpg

I suppose no one pointed out...Walkure are using cyber implants?

Ep. 8 just show them transform and light up. I feel they are using the cyber implant that is banned in macross frontier and put into work already. Which also give the 3 girls fold receptor as well.

I suppose no one pointed out...Walkure are using cyber implants?

Ep. 8 just show them transform and light up. I feel they are using the cyber implant that is banned in macross frontier and put into work already. Which also give the 3 girls fold receptor as well.

Eh... debatable, bordering on unlikely IMO.

We see, in Ep.8, that Walkure brought their professional apparatus with them when they came down to Voldor's surface. So, presumably, the "sound stage" they usually use is what's providing the holographic costumes and mechanical amplification of the fold songs of those Walkure members whose natural fold receptors aren't powerful enough to do the job alone like Mikumo and Freyja's can.

Implant technology is legal in most of the galaxy, but the kind of cybernetics sophisticated enough to convincingly imitate the appearance of the organs they're replacing are outside the reach of most civilians and require some fairly extreme surgery to install. Civilian market implant tech, as seen in Macross R, is more obviously artificial. Oscar Brauhitch's prosthetic arm, for instance, is a high-performance replacement for his lost limb but looks like something from the desk of Winry Rockbell in Fullmetal Alchemist. You'd think they'd have mentioned it if Freyja went in for serious, invasive surgery to install implants in her brain and/or a number of other places.

I doubt any of Walkure's members have implant tech. Reina seems to need a visible holographic interface and physical gestures to do her hacking, which points to her not being a cyborg. Likewise, they wouldn't need visible displays from what I'm guessing are press-on fingernail computers if they had implants... then they would just project it directly to their optic nerve.

Hmmm, you notice that their display are all centered around fingers... may be is a nail based projector display tech. You know, fake nails now, display later, and then may be a mini MDE....

Lee Press on Computers, New from Apple.... the "iNail"! :p

Edited by Zinjo

It's more likely that the pilot induced it. Not a fail, per se, as the pilot recovered. More likely it was a demonstration of the aircraft and pilot's ability to recover from a post stall situation. A fail would have resulted in a fireball.

The demonstration suggestion seems to make a lot of sense. Especially since a professional was filming the aircraft in action (note perfect zoom and panning). Thanks!

Hmmm, you notice that their display are all centered around fingers... may be is a nail based projector display tech. You know, fake nails now, display later, and then may be a mini MDE....

Honestly, I'm flat amazed that Kawamori resisted the temptation to include a cyborg in Macross Frontier who had a gun or two stashed away inside their limbs... the blade Brera has is frankly low-key compared to some of the stuff in Ghost in the Shell, for instance.

Honestly, I'm flat amazed that Kawamori resisted the temptation to include a cyborg in Macross Frontier who had a gun or two stashed away inside their limbs... the blade Brera has is frankly low-key compared to some of the stuff in Ghost in the Shell, for instance.

This is Macross, when the day comes that stuff other than a knife pops out of a cyborgs hands, it'll be a microphone, or better yet, a guitar.

This is Macross, when the day comes that stuff other than a knife pops out of a cyborgs hands, it'll be a microphone, or better yet, a guitar.

I'm thinking back to Emilia's transforming guitar gun from the Macross 7 movie now. That thing was awesome.

Does it come with Sharon (Apple) as the Virtual Assistant?

The Virtual Assistant is probably Hyperhighway Enhanced Information Node Zone, a.k.a. HEINZ.

Windermere Apple iPhone! Can be safely immersed in water and continues to work! (but you get the Var syndrome)

The real cause of Windermere's war... they're sick of micropayments.

All kidding aside, it occurs to me, the way Var works is that Windermere uses their apples essentially as a biological weapon. There is two stages to this weapon, one is where the var just activates, and then, the infected become mindless berserkers. The second stage is when little Heinz sings and turn them into zombies for Windermere.

So there are two ways to deal with this. First, I suppose you could turn Windermere into dust, kill Heinz and then the Var becomes just another virus. But alternatively, if there is a medical cure for Var, then Heinz is pretty useless. So, I guess that's the real question, is Var curable by medical methods?

And I guess I'm not completely clear, but Walkure singing doesn't cure Var, it just controls the symptoms. Thoughts?

And I guess I'm not completely clear, but Walkure singing doesn't cure Var, it just controls the symptoms. Thoughts?

Yes. Makina explained this in episode 4. Singing reduces the chances. It's like being given mumps/measles/rubella vaccine. Get it once, and you should be good for a while. Likely down the road, you're gonna need a booster shot.

Hopefully it won't take as long for Soft Bank to release a VF-31 Master File book.

The VF-25 one came out in April of 2011...a good three years after the series premiered.

It seems to me that Walkure singing disrupts the fold wave system of controlling Var-infected persons, as opposed to the Var infection itself. And without the control, the Var infection becomes dormant; unlike the Vajra infection (the one Sheryl had) the Var infection does not seem dangerous in its own.

(Going by Episode 7 it might not even be an infection at all, it is a compound chemical that causes certain human/humaniod tissue to acquire fold resonance, which is why it can come from a combination of chemicals in apples and water).

I do wonder, however, why the problem with Messer is so much of a problem then. Put him in the Walkure singing practice room for a regular high dose and you're done? Unless the White Knights are trying to control him with a directed beam 24/7 - but they can't really do it 24/7, Heinz has to sing for that to work. He can't keep singing all the time, and while the other side has one Heinz, Chaos has a minimum of four singers (even allowing for Freyja's rune being inactive without a crisis, perhaps she does not care about Messer enough to make it a crisis). This seems stacked heavily in favour of Chaos.

Unless perhaps the other side does not want to kill or "turn" Messer, they just want to get Messer out of action, and if he is subject to random control without a Walkure singer present, they can't afford to put him into the cockpit... unles they put, say, Kaname into the second seat but this would risk her life while taking *her* out of ground Walkure action... But wait, Walkure singing can work through projection at short range - so put a projection device right into Messer's cockpit? Have him view Mikumo singing at all times, given that she *is* likely singing during the battle? If this happens, shippers rejoice.

(Or were the Knights hoping the infection would not be noticed so they could "turn" him mid-battle? In this case, however, they had to make sure it does not show at all outside battle. And they did not, he is obviously ill at the end of Episode 8, on the ground. Roid you eejit, you bungled up a perfect catch!)

Edited by Saruta

Messer's issue may likely stem from an earlier exposure to the compound. Perhaps during his NUNS service, he ate some apples (we've all eaten apples at some point). He may have been able to fight off the effects but he's starting to lose that battle now.

Hopefully it won't take as long for Soft Bank to release a VF-31 Master File book.

The VF-25 one came out in April of 2011...a good three years after the series premiered.

That is true, but keep in mind the Master File books weren't being released in 2008. The first book (which covered the VF-1 Valkyrie) was released in 2009, well after Macross Frontier had already ended. The Master File creators also clearly wanted to feature earlier generation valkyries first before getting to the Macross FRontier mecha, probably because there were more fans who wanted the older stuff before the newer stuff.

If there is a Master File released for the VF-31 Siegfried and Sv-262 Draken, I think chances are good we won't have to wait three years.

We can only hope... IIRC the Macross Modelers pamphlet for the VF-31A was done with GAGraphics's help, so I guess you could say they've already gotten a start.

If there is a Master File released for the VF-31 Siegfried and Sv-262 Draken, I think chances are good we won't have to wait three years.

SB Creative just released MSN-06S Sinanju Master Archive so I'm sure they have it in queue...somewhere.

So what if the Var syndrome is an artificial aggressor gene, originally produced for the Zentradi and it has been dormant in successive "children". The apple / PC water combination was either a tool used by the PC commanders to enhance the aggressiveness of their troops or an unexpected side affect of combining the molecular make up of both items.

The TSF discovered how to deal with the symptoms, but are still determining the cause. Now with Walkurie getting that done, the next step is to find out if it can be cured?

So what if the Var syndrome is an artificial aggressor gene, originally produced for the Zentradi and it has been dormant in successive "children". The apple / PC water combination was either a tool used by the PC commanders to enhance the aggressiveness of their troops or an unexpected side affect of combining the molecular make up of both items.

The TSF discovered how to deal with the symptoms, but are still determining the cause. Now with Walkurie getting that done, the next step is to find out if it can be cured?

I'm not sure it's genetic, since there don't seem to have been any identified cases of Var syndrome or anything resembling it until around the time Windermere's royals decided to launch their war against the New Unification Government. The Zentradi fighting instincts didn't need any help to make them violent, and they'd already been conditioned to obey the Protoculture. They wouldn't have needed pharmaceutical assistance, or the mind control aspect to get the job done.

I suspect that the combination of the polyphenols in Windermere apples and the unique bicarbonates in water found around Protoculture ruins is something the Windermereans discovered at some point in their own history. I bet that, especially since they're supposedly mildly empathic, the Windermereans regarded the Var syndrome as a curse on those who didn't properly respect/revere the Protoculture ruins on their world. Since the Windermereans seem to think that human society is somehow unclean, it would strike me as poetic justice in their eyes to combat an unclean society with a "divine" curse. We've got a lot of mythological symbolism kicking around in Macross Delta, and apples figure prominently into both Greco-Roman and Norse mythology. In Latin, the word for apple is spelled (and pronounced) almost identically to the word for evil. In Greek and Norse mythos, apples are the source of immortality for the eater... which seems a rather ironic twist here, when instead of granting immortal life the apple turns you into a doomed, psychotic killer.

I've picked the brain of my youngest brother, who has some experience and training in organic chemistry by way of his vet-med study, and he suggested that the chemical that apparently triggers Var syndrome (seiznol?) is a form of endocrine disruptor that triggers excessive secretion of norepinephrine, adrenaline, and a few other monoamine neutransmitters. Apparently the symptoms of excessive release of several of those (especially norepinephrine) line up well with those of a Var syndrome sufferer... aggression, anxiety, headache, increased heart rate, elevated blood pressure, excessive sweating, etc.

There is probably more space inside of the VF-31's cockpit compared to other VF's because it doesn't need a fancy rotating cockpit interior because the cockpit itself is still parallel, whereas most other VF's I can think of at the moment have theirs perpendicular, to the ground in battroid mode.

Maybe. The parallel cockpit exists on the VF-4, VF-17/VF-171, and of course, the YF-30 (which the VF-31 is based off).

With the VF-17/171's they have a cockpit pod thing that swung upwards to keep it parallel. I feel it would have a lot more space if it wasn't a pod but instead utilized the whole section of the plane like the 31/30's. But then again Veffidas had a whole drum set in the back of her and Ray's 17 so it probably had more than enough room.

I'm not sure it's genetic,

Yes it is not as among the first victims in 2062 were megafauna as per Macross Extra.

pg 4

AD 2062

A new threat strikes at humanity, who had entered the era of galactic migration

The unknown phenomena that suddenly appears all across the galaxy without explanation, Var syndrome

pg 5

Afflicted life forms will have heightened bodily functions and resistances but also raised destructive impulses

On planet Pipure there were gargantuan life forms living in the cold zone who got afflicted as well, and would enter the temperate zone where they normally could not endure and threaten mankind's domain

The combined interplanetary corporate entitity Chaos, was drafting countermeasures to deal with the situation. The musical that mankinds existence depends upon raises its curtain!

Planet Pipure

The speed of the planets rotation around the sun matches its rotation around its own axis, resulting in one side always facing the sun

Three satellites orbits the planets and create quasi nightfalls.

The hot extremity point

A desert zone of scorching heat

The temperate zone

The domain where mankind lives

The cold zone

Where indigenous lifeforms dwell