Bandai 1/144 VF-11C

sketchley

Bandai's 1/144 Macross 7 line is a great line, IMHO. Somehow they got the right balance between being easy for people new to modelling, and enough detail for us intermediate modellers to practice the craft.

I slapped together the first kit a couple of years ago, and didn't do anything other than panel lining it with a Gundam marker.

Recently, I picked up a good tip from the Gundam Builders line - spot painting a few key parts to enhance the overall kit (see examples at the bottom). Those "spot paints" certainly enhanced the kit.

With the tawny custom, I attempted some kit bashing (attaching the Battroid FAST Packs from the first kit on the fighter from the second) and panel lining with a new technique: black watercolour paint mixed with acrylic paint thinner. As it was my first time with this technique, the results came out kind of mixed.

(Lesson learned: put the mixture on sparingly, directly over the paint, wipe off with moist q-tips, and gingerly fix mistakes with a q-tip moist with acrylic paint thinner. Cover with clear coat AFTER).

The tawny custom was finished off with black comic ink (strangely enough, acrylic based!) applied with a drawing nib (non-standard type). Plus a few stickers from the Bandai VF-1 that were left over. (Tawny VF-11 attached to the SDF-1? It's possible, no?)

EDIT: the tawny custom colours are based off of one of the colour schemes for the VF-11 that appeared in This Is Animation Macross Plus, and the VF-19EF from Macross The Ride.

Fighter:

post-3910-0-65756800-1406773172_thumb.jpg

Battroid:

post-3910-0-69116500-1406773162_thumb.jpg

Family picts:

post-3910-0-75293100-1406773180_thumb.jpg

On the shelf with the extended family (I've got big plans for the second VF-17, and am working on a custom of the VF-11MAXL, too (not pictured)):

post-3910-0-88298300-1406773186_thumb.jpg

Spot painting on the knives and some of the armour parts (head, arms, legs and shoulders). The Zaku's knife looks awesome with the VF-1, eh? (That loopy FAST Pack is battle damage, ok ;) ).

post-3910-0-36059900-1406773153_thumb.jpg

Edited by sketchley

They look good. I built one before I moved here, did it as a Plus version.

Oh, and you knew the UN SPACY logo on the right leg of the Super Battroid was upside down, right? ;)

They look good. I built one before I moved here, did it as a Plus version.

Oh, and you knew the UN SPACY logo on the right leg of the Super Battroid was upside down, right? ;)

That's what I get for doing those things late at night... :sad: