Coming to theaters on July 24 is Pixels, a sci-fi comedy remake of the 2010 French short film of the same name. Directed by Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Bicentennial Man), the film is about an alien invasion in the form of '80s video game icons such as Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Unfortunately, it also stars Adam Sandler, which means this film will be a likely entry on the Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time thread.

Pixels @ IMDb

I enjoyed the short. But even that felt like a retread of the awesome Futurama ep. The movie trailer looks nice, but then I saw Sandler. Ugh.

I'll admit, I liked a few of his middle period movies, but hated his early ones in the 90's, and have had no desire to see anything he's been in for the last 5 years.

I'm pretty sure the "time capsule" NASA sent up is based on the Voyager golden records. But, of course, that was 1977, not 1982, and didn't work for their premise, so they had to fudge it.

Also, IGN is wrong. Breakout was not made by Steve Jobs, despite the fact that Steve Jobs WAS the employee assigned to design the board for Breakout.

Nolan Bushnell designed the game, and Jobs was assigned the task of turning it into reality. Jobs realized it was above his skill level, particularly if he wanted the low part count bonus, and got Steve WOZNIAK to design it for him*, on top of Wozniak's full-time job at HP.

Atari did not use Wozniak's design in the end, as they could not manufacture it reliably. Wozniak insists that it shouldn't have been that hard, and someone at Atari must have altered the design without understanding it. It's not actually known who designed the board that was shipped in arcade cabinets.

Just wanted to set the record straight there. Jobs relayed Bushnell's game description and served as Wozniak's tester. He did not design the game in any sense of the word.

*And then Jobs cheated Wozniak out of his share of the bonus. He told Wozniak it was a seven-hundred-dollar bonus and they'd split it 50/50. But Jobs ACTUALLY got a check for five THOUSAND dollars, and pocketed $4650 next to Wozniak's $350.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At this point, I predict this film to be a guilty pleasure at most, which is kinda rare for an Adam Sandler movie (You Don't Mess with the Zohan, Click, and Happy Gilmore make that list; The Wedding Singer is truly the only Sandler movie worth buying on DVD or Blu-ray). Kevin James was never funny, especially with his Paul Blart: Mall Cop films. Let's hope Peter Dinklage's performance makes this film watchable.

I like that when they introduce the main characters, and show their "stats", they're using actual world record scores.

Especially in Pac-Man, where the long-accepted record score is actually better than you can earn in a perfect game. They score bonus points(ummm... no pun intended) for getting that one right.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the "time capsule" NASA sent up is based on the Voyager golden records. But, of course, that was 1977, not 1982, and didn't work for their premise, so they had to fudge it.

If one were being generous, Voyager has been on its way for quite a while, though I admit the wording there is a bit... no escape clause. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Just watched this today and although it was not actually a good movie it was far better than I expected. The problem was they went for the cheap joke every time instead of letting something go without a joke in order to set up a good joke later. I guess that is the definition of an Adam Sandler movie.

It had a lot of video game nostalgia but so does Wreck it Ralph and that is an excellent movie.