Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

I don't have access to Mac7 nor have I seen a good shot of AFOS or the Protoculture city. With MAHQ.net down things are a little difficult, and Nanashi's archives aren't 'open' yet. I'll PM him back later.

For the meantime I re-sketched and tinkered with some of the things on the 'Supervision cruiser' and made three color schemes for it.

Supervision-Ship-color.jpg

The top one is colored in the style I've seen the pre-crash macross (a little darker, but still). Any color photos of it show it as bone white/brown tint, so I gave it one. The other two are just experiments in coloring things.

When I drew the missile racks I thought about a clamshell door to open and close when firing anti-ship missiles. I don't know if that could be coded into the game or not, so do what you will.

I'll get to work on that recovery pod. I'm trying to figure out what I could do for the Recon 'unit'. I feel that I should avoid pods- the Meltran seem to have a slant on power armor-type units for their fighter slots. In fact it seems all of their smallcraft appear to have face plates on them (even the mobile armor!).

Until I can find a decent picture of AFOS I'm wondering how the Supervision army is going to use their units. On one hand I could say they're pods/armors, but on the other I could do something completley different...

Argh! How many times do I have to remind you people, having the supervision or protoculture forces is VERY iffy at this point. I think it's great that you're working with designs and stuff, but perhaps we should branch out another thread dealing exclusively with that stuff.

Let's try to concetrate on Meltohaleundy, Zjentohlauedy, and UNS for the moment in here, please.

What needs to be worked on for any of those forces? Lestat said what needs to be done for the meltran, but what about the other forces? I'm not a moddler (no Maya, no skill in Maya) just an artist. does anything need to be designed for those races other than the ones Lestat posted?

What needs to be worked on for any of those forces? Lestat said what needs to be done for the meltran, but what about the other forces? I'm not a moddler (no Maya, no skill in Maya) just an artist. does anything need to be designed for those races other than the ones Lestat posted?

My point was that this is more of a discussion rather than a design thread. As the three basic races aren't even complete and ready to go, we should be careful not to get ahead of ourselves.

Baiscally, I think that this design/concept talk should reside in a new thread dedicated to it.

Until such a time when the design thread exists (I'll let the 'real' dev team make it) I'll post artwork here for commend and discussion.

This is color and sketch details of the recovery pod. Scaled down from real size to make it view-able in this forum

Melt-Recovery-Pod-Color.jpg

Here's a closeup of the first one without shadowing and glare

Left arm removed. I included the 'alt color' because I noticed in the screenshots of the Melt navy that many of thier ships have different colors (red, orange, silver, etc). I thought this color might break the monotony of the Meltran fleet in the game. Then again, it means it will make it more visible to enemy gunners.

Nanashi sent me the Supervision pod and according to it's information the pod was discovered on the ASS-1 itself. I'll rework this and post it in the design thread when it shows up. though since the Supervision Army's prescence is questionable it doesn't have priorety.

In the meantime, I await the list.

Edited by Boxer

Looks great. Don't get discouraged. The artwork is fabulous. The commander is right though, it's certainly not a priority. It doesn't mean though that these aren't awesome.

I'll start a new thread for you if there isn't one already.

Feel free to work on redesigns of my previous work - I'm not bothered or offended by it so go right ahead. The only one I'm mostly happy with anyway is the HAAC. Please repost some of these over on the new thread.

btw, I like the top colourscheme of the supervision ship!

And the Melt recovery suit looks awesome. Maybe a more light, greish-purple would suit best? (lighter and more grey than the standard queadluun-xxx)

Dunno if I should carry this conversation into the design thread or not...

The colors I used to paint the recovery pod were lifted from the image of the Melt Command Cruiser, since I couldn't find a purple that would match. Like I said before I thought about having different colors to break up the 'purple monotony' that doesn't necissarily dominate the Meltran fleet.

As for the colors of the Supervision ship; If and When the Supervision army/protocultures are made (The Protoculture-Supervision war?) I would have to ask if the 'bone white' of the crash ASS-1 is the Supervision colors or If I'm free to design something else.

BTW, my Av now is what I pictured to be a possible Protoculture badge.

Working on the Zjent Recovery pod now. Will post in the design thread. And I'll see about that 'greenish purple', though blue kinda sits between both purple and green so Xx....

[Edit2]:

One thing I wanted to ask was weather or not Protoculture/supervision derelicts could make it into the game. if not for the Space War One campaign then maybe something else. I thought about designing the Science ship that landed on Earth, then 'wreaking it' to be found later by the SDF-1.

Once again I don't know if I should put this in the design thread or not; In working on possible protoculture designs (I know they aren't in the game yet, even so...) I questioned the utility of the AFOS. It doesn't seem like it's a fighter, more of an automated keeper unit.

If this were to be the case would the Protoculture rely on remote-operated weapons platforms? Since it's argueable that they even had an army at all outside the Zentreadi/Meltran forces. (Again, if the Protoculture-Supervision war is down the lane I could make a 'Protoculture' Zjent Destroyer ;) )

Edited by Boxer

Dunno if I should carry this conversation into the design thread or not...

The colors I used to paint the recovery pod were lifted from the image of the Melt Command Cruiser, since I couldn't find a purple that would match. Like I said before I thought about having different colors to break up the 'purple monotony' that doesn't necissarily dominate the Meltran fleet.

As for the colors of the Supervision ship; If and When the Supervision army/protocultures are made (The Protoculture-Supervision war?) I would have to ask if the 'bone white' of the crash ASS-1 is the Supervision colors or If I'm free to design something else.

BTW, my Av now is what I pictured to be a possible Protoculture badge.

Working on the Zjent Recovery pod now. Will post in the design thread. And I'll see about that 'greenish purple', though blue kinda sits between both purple and green so Xx....

[Edit2]:

One thing I wanted to ask was weather or not Protoculture/supervision derelicts could make it into the game. if not for the Space War One campaign then maybe something else. I thought about designing the Science ship that landed on Earth, then 'wreaking it' to be found later by the SDF-1.

Once again I don't know if I should put this in the design thread or not; In working on possible protoculture designs (I know they aren't in the game yet, even so...) I questioned the utility of the AFOS. It doesn't seem like it's a fighter, more of an automated keeper unit.

If this were to be the case would the Protoculture rely on remote-operated weapons platforms? Since it's argueable that they even had an army at all outside the Zentreadi/Meltran forces. (Again, if the Protoculture-Supervision war is down the lane I could make a 'Protoculture' Zjent Destroyer ;) )

There already is a logo for the protoculture. The colours are off, but see the 'netbooks' button for the protoculture logo. It can be seen I believe in DYRL or in Macross 7 perhaps.

Yes, these issues should be carried over to the design thread I think.

I don't think it would be very likely that there would be another protoculture or supervision wreck in the mod.

AFOS was top secret.

The Derilect ship they didn't have time to investigate.

Possibly, we could extend the missions so that a bonus mission had the 'capture the satellite' type of mission where the derilect would make an appearance. But other than that...

Major, glad to see you've got the idea with the bridge! that's what I'm talking about!

Not sure if I like the heavy contrast on the front end, but good job anyway!

that looks great. Actually, texture detail concepts are something that we need.

I prefer that inside.

Major, I have a suggestion to liven up the outside textures. IT has to do with shading.

Normally I would like from the top upwards, not the sides inwards. I have a suggestion though.

Instead of having a strait light to dark (and btw, it's still looking quite dark on my monitor), have very light to dark to lighter to light dark to lighter to dark to very light again.

At least try it and see what it looks like maybe?

You've got to remember also, that HW2 has its own lighting system, so the trick is creating a blend between the game lighting and the textures!

*Beams with pride* I like it :D There's some additions I didn't think of, but I like it nonetheless.

Can't wait to see my creation in game. Pity it's just a miner, but ah well.

[Edit]:

I noticed on the shiplist you added almost everything under the UN Sun except the Orguss Valk. :(

One thing you could consider is putting a unit cap on the VF-X series because of their experimental nature. Might want to put it on the Stampede too, unless you want this to be the new main fighter of the UNS :D (Or I could design a Zent/Melt equivelant...). And I don't suppose you could add Nanashi's VF-X-2 could you? (Yes, the one that eventually became the VF-2s in Mac2) Not as accepted prototypes, but as prototypes nontheless....

Edited by Boxer

Experimental fighters are inappropriate to the other races. They do not know how to create. Especially not until post space war I.

The VF-X-2? I don't recall it. The VF-2SS is a fighter that, notably is in a parallel universe, but also some 60 years after space war I.

Unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, we will limit the SDP-1S. Probably to one prototype, or possibly 3 all up. Same goes for other prototypes.

As for the model, we need detail, so the more you can give us, the easier the modellers jobs will be! :)

Instead of experimental fighters what about alternate armors? I was toying with the idea of a 'Command armor' for the Meltrans (a souped-up Rau for, say, Lap's use). Just something to counter the awesome power of the Stampede (unless you want to throw more capital ships at it ;) )

[Edit]: The idea behind putting in a Vf-X2 (or VF-x-2) is the idea that the VF-x-2, VF-x3, and VF-x-4 are all prototypes on the Macross. Historically speaking in the 'Cannon' macross line the VF-x-4 is chosen as the next fighter. While according to Mac2's history the VF-x-2 was chosen. Just an idea.

Edited by Boxer

Could change the cargo pod. The idea was that it would be a commercial sort of freight pod. I could just re-draw it as a UNS Resource Control Minerals Pod...

Otherwise it looks good. The antenna kinda look funny being blue, but I'll let everyone else have their say about that. Your mod after all.

The crew cabin and pilot module were supposed to be a different color from the engine block.

Not sure about the 'ridges' on the cargo box either. I tried to make them look like modern-day commercial freight containers- modified of course for space use.