Bandai to reissue Macross Factory

CF18

The Factory reissue was a nice surprise, so I wonder if anything else new will be in the reissue, or just the same ones they toss out every anniversary opportunity. I'd love the larger scale SDF models to see a reissue. That tiny little storm attacker we always seem to get just doesn't cut it.

I'm thinking about getting this as a dio for my 1/72 scale models. I think if I use the same scale people and vehicles instead of the ones that come with the kit it will still look good. I won't put any Zen's in mine so the fit should be fine. I remember this was fine when I had this as a kid and actually played with my models.

Got the 1:72 Glaug yesterday. B.I.G. kit. Way too big for the 1:100 factory (but looked good compared to the valk's). I laid the parts out last night and started comparing sizes of all the kits and figs. In the end, the decision was made to use the 1/144 Rau pilot in the 1:100 Glaug for the "captured" portion, and use 1:100 for everything else on the Micron side. Even the 1:100 Kamjin space suit kit was "off" in size for the same-scale Glaug, but looked good in the 1:72...go figure. At this point...just roll with it I guess. "Him sad, brain broken."

PS: If you're trying to add figures to the factory, HO and N scale figs are either too big or too small.

That's too bad its that far off. You can google "Preiser 1:100 figures" and find a few places that sell them. They're accurate and well detailed. There's also the Gundam ones too in 1:100, but of course they look "Gundamish" :) - MT

going by HLJ's description, the chain bases are 100-144 scale.

the difference in detail might be apparent though, and these chain bases aren't that much cheaper either if you consider that it'll probably take at least 4, maybe 5 of these for the same floor+wall area of 1 armored factory.

having said that, the chain base accessories might look good on the factory

Yes, it will take two of the chain bases to equal the height of the factory wall...figure 8 for the back walls and 8 for the base, ending up with a slightly bigger model than the 1:100 factory. I put the older valks next to the base and they look lame in comparison to the chain bases detail. The Wave kits however, look the part with all of their detail.

We went to Jo-Ann fabrics (for wedding dress material), and stopped by the jewelry section, finding several sizes of chains that would work for the diorama. Even some of the poly strings for necklaces would work for power cables and fuel lines...just an idea for resources.

MechTech: Thanks for the info. I'll look the Preiser figures up.

So is it like the original Japanese release that DOESN'T come with the Tomahawk and Armored VF-1J, like the US/Germany Revell "Robotech" line did? I have the original, but haven't torn off the original shrink-wrap to see.

Actually the both versions of this kit were originally released in Japan, one with the mechs and background parts and one with just the background factory parts.

Leonardo

Here's the comparison pic of the production kits for size comparison. None are spot on, but "close" would be the 1:144 pilot in the 1:72 Glaug, with 1:100 valks and destroids. The Kamjin Armoured Space Suit might go with 1:72 valks.

gallery_14954_549_2537.jpg

Edited by Wasabi-san

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed.

Despite those awesome lil figures & crew equipment, 1/100 is just too small for my current displays. That's just way too much work right now. That 1/72 Armored Ozma has spoiled me.

Pre-order cancelled.

I look forward to what you guys do with this since it's hitting retail again.

Been thinking about how to do the kit as far as mods. The first step is to sand all of the lettering and striping off of the base. Think about scale here...the paint would be 6" high! The rails will probably get recessed as well...maybe use HO or N scale rails for detail.

Looking through the Design Works manual with the Macross, I'm probably going to add in the spaces on the side of the turntables like the pic with the super valk sitting on it.

It's definitely getting a roof with led strip lighting running the length of it.

Given the number of kits on pre-order, putting a couple of sets face-to-face might be interesting...make it so you have to look through open bay doors or the ends. Who knows yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hobby Search informed me yesterday that my Factory was on the way via EMS. With the preorder discount and 1/2-off shipping, the total bill was $101 USD. Still a far cry cheaper than a vintage Robotech factory, and no restoration work needed as in the case of the two vintage buildups in my 'future work' pile. (Might sell those when the new one arrives.)

Got my Box-O-Factories a couple of days ago. The big pieces are stamped "Bandai 2012" on the walls and floors. The colors are different from the original, and the "Revell Robotech" release. Instead of two-tone grey, they're blue and grey, and the vehicles are a different green. Decals are a lot crisper now too. The chains and loops are in seperate, colored baggies. Other than a few color differences, it's pretty much the same kit.

I have to dig out my old GBP valk to see if they modded the new release, because there's some details that I don't remember. The Tomahawk looks the same.

• 9 months later...

I think I saw a pair of these heavily discounted at Joshin a couple weekends back - at ï¿¥2,000 or ï¿¥2,500. Am starting to think about picking one up - at that price, it'll be worth it just for the Tomahawk and GBP-1S!

Funny thing is, the VF-25 series of kits, which have sat on the shelf for years longer, still retain their value (if memory serves, they're still in the ï¿¥3,500 to ï¿¥4,000 range).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked mine up today. ï¿¥2,000.

Yes, that's two thousand yen. It surprised me, as I was expecting ï¿¥2,500 (which it was marked at less than a month ago).

If you're in Japan and are interested in picking up this kit, head over to Joshin. If memory serves the sale is on only for another few days. After that...

My initial impressions of the kit at time of opening:

- the armour factory is big.

- although the pieces are molded in different colours, the Tomahawk and VF-1 are molded in the same colour - painting required.