[24 hour topic] Of course no one at HG...

EXO

will send a correction letter to this guy...

Udon Entertainment Announces New Macross Art Books

The franchise has been going strong with different movies, OVA, manga, comics and television series. The more notable ones are Macross Frontier, Macross 7, Macross Plus, Macross Zero, The Shadow Chronicles. Overarching themes normally involve love, music and mecha based combat.[/size]

http://goodereader.com/blog/digital-comic-news/udon-entertainment-announces-new-macross-books

Just saw this yesterday...and I'm looking at it again on my phone...did he lock the comments section? I could've sworn someone commented and called him out on this.

No, the comments are still open.

HG can only use what Tatsanuko has rights to, that doesn't include anything beyond SDF and DYRL...

I'm just amazed that the author says they're going to publish "Macross Art Books"

I really don't have anything against casual fans that mix up the franchises. I even use RT terms just to join the flow of the conversation... but reading an article like this makes me wonder how accurate or well researched the rest of the site is... which stories do they think deserves accuracy and/or even valuable opinions...

I agree, Exo. Little mixups are fine but when it's a supposed article, you'd think a little research would go into it :D

This "mixup" happens a lot where Robotech is concerned... too often for it to be believable as a coincidence, honestly.

The franchise has been going strong with different movies, OVA, manga, comics and television series. The more notable ones are Macross Frontier, Macross 7, Macross Plus, Macross Zero, The Shadow Chronicles. Overarching themes normally involve love, music and mecha based combat.

Recycling this joke:

This reads like a press release. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Kozlowski picked it up for a quick bit of filler on the site. I saw this happen a lot with press releases at my first writing job after college. It doesn't excuse the lazy fact finding, though. It would be interesting to see the actual source material. I wonder if HG is now trying to connect Robotech to the post SDF Macross properties.

But that image...it looks like fan art to me...

Edited by technoblue

That's not Yune art... that's definitely one of Udon's artist... I wonder if the flunkies get those assignments... lol.

That's not fan art, at least... that's from Robotech #0, the comic book relaunch/Macross Zero-knockoff.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

My understanding is that the art books will have a strong Macross flavor as they will include art given to them from the original series - things they promised would be remarkable. It will be interesting what they produce from the archives. I don't think even the publishers know what they are going to use or produce yet.

That's not fan art, at least... that's from Robotech #0, the comic book relaunch/Macross Zero-knockoff.

This. I remember having all the individual issues of From the Stars and that was the cover art from one of them. the books had Tommy's name on it, hence my confusion.

My understanding is that the art books will have a strong Macross flavor as they will include art given to them from the original series - things they promised would be remarkable. It will be interesting what they produce from the archives. I don't think even the publishers know what they are going to use or produce yet.

We saw the art given to them on the Robotech Art books... They used them over and over in the How To Draw Robotech Comic books... The rest were attained thru Yahoo Japan and other sources. I remember when Shawn use to bid against Tommy on actual production art.

Now...where's the Excedrin?

Would someone please tell these people to do some frakin' research BEFORE then decide to write a frakin' article? "Journalists" these days....

In fact, here's the author: Michael Kozlowski - michael@goodereader.com

Have fun.

Reading the comments, he really does believe that Macross 7, Plus and frontier are off shoots from the REF... lol.

Shortly afterwards, they invid invasion occurs, settings up the events of Southern Cross. I did not mention it in the article, but of course there is the 2nd generation, macross 7, the limited series Macros Plus (which was actually fairly good) and various other OVA. I was a big fan of everything robotech/macross.

And he thinks that the Invid invasion set up Southern Cross? WTF was this guy watching???

This "mixup" happens a lot where Robotech is concerned... too often for it to be believable as a coincidence, honestly.

I agree. Anyone with an internet connection and 10 minutes is able to work out the difference. And he seems to be defending his well researched statements in the comments.

I agree. Anyone with an internet connection and 10 minutes is able to work out the difference. And he seems to be defending his well researched statements in the comments.

And unfortunately, anyone with an internet connection and a computing device can be a "journalist".

edit: Can't tell Robotech and Macross apart is one thing. Can't tell one part of Robotech from another. That's another. And he says he's a "fan of Robotech/Macross". I've seen better reporting from Reddit.

And knowing is half the battle.

... and now I'm humming the old GI Joe theme song at work...

Reading the comments, he really does believe that Macross 7, Plus and frontier are off shoots from the REF... lol.

And he thinks that the Invid invasion set up Southern Cross? WTF was this guy watching???

You have to remember, EXO, Harmony Gold has historically put a LOT of effort into doing two things with regard to the Japanese originals and the greater Macross franchise:

1. Trying to convince Robotech fans that the original Japanese shows Robotech was made from are flawed and inferior shows that were dramatically improved by Carl Macek's "vision", to such an extent that they sometimes make bizarre claims that the Japanese studios that made those shows think Robotech is the superior version.

2. Trying to deliberately blur the line between Robotech and Macross, for the purposes of self-promotion (trying to cash in on Macross's reputation), discouraging Robotech fans from pursuing Japanese Macross titles (trying to keep them thinking that the two are interchangeable), and enabling their misleading statements about Macross rights.

Long Vo, misinformed as he is, is probably a victim of... and it sounds rather over-dramatic to use this term, since any idiot can find out the truth on Wikipedia... Harmony Gold's misinformation campaign.

Though it must be admitted that the Robotech fandom's bad habit of trying to "adopt" every series they think is cool (including a great deal of Macross) into Robotech on an informal basis... particularly where the RPG is concerned.

Ten minutes nothing... a quick read of the Macross wikipedia article is usually enough, though whether he's defending that just because he's embarrassed or if he's actually thick enough to believe it is anybody's guess.

Ok I just read that PR and WTF? It's been a long time since I saw a PR with that much blatant misrepresentation. And then, the KS for the RT:Academy art book, $500k to release a book. Are they out of their minds?

You have to remember, EXO, Harmony Gold has historically put a LOT of effort into doing two things with regard to the Japanese originals and the greater Macross franchise:

• Trying to convince Robotech fans that the original Japanese shows Robotech was made from are flawed and inferior shows that were dramatically improved by Carl Macek's "vision", to such an extent that they sometimes make bizarre claims that the Japanese studios that made those shows think Robotech is the superior version.

• Trying to deliberately blur the line between Robotech and Macross, for the purposes of self-promotion (trying to cash in on Macross's reputation), discouraging Robotech fans from pursuing Japanese Macross titles (trying to keep them thinking that the two are interchangeable), and enabling their misleading statements about Macross rights.
Long Vo, misinformed as he is, is probably a victim of... and it sounds rather over-dramatic to use this term, since any idiot can find out the truth on Wikipedia... Harmony Gold's misinformation campaign.

Though it must be admitted that the Robotech fandom's bad habit of trying to "adopt" every series they think is cool (including a great deal of Macross) into Robotech on an informal basis... particularly where the FS: SHCM Pro Gundam, Yamato Factory Garland

Long Vo is the artist for that cover shown. The writer of the article is some whole other guy.

That's my big gripe about this article, it's that they'll in no way even try to correct the person who wrote this article because they've always thrived on bad publicity and the confusion of fans. People that think that it's all one big story line and they're some how doing great work. They won't admit to taking credit for all of Macross, but they know it's in their benefit to do so. Because, let's face it their own work is never going to get any respect. The reason is... The have no idea about quality. Either in story, music or design.

And yes, it did cross my mind that this sounded like a press release. I'm just wondering where that part ends and the editorial begins. It does seem like from the comments that the writer, who's also the Editor in chief, put in his own thoughts.

That's my big gripe about this article, it's that they'll in no way even try to correct the person who wrote this article because they've always thrived on bad publicity and the confusion of fans. People that think that it's all one big story line and they're some how doing great work.

Whoops, my bad on the author bit.

Still, one has to wonder who they think they're fooling these days... they didn't start pulling this nonsense until about 2000, when Harmony Gold decided Carl Macek had screwed the franchise up beyond recovery and tried to start fresh. Once they needed a way to reinvent Robotech as a credible SF/mecha anime franchise and created Robotech.com, they started making a concerted effort to mislead Robotech fans and the general public about Robotech and its relationship with the original shows. Anyone can check this bizarre misdirection on Wikipedia in ten seconds flat and figure out it's BS, so why are they even trying?

I'm not sure if they just think that any press is good press (even press that makes them look like cretins, apparently), or if they're SO misled themselves that they've started buying into all of their own lies (instead of just "Robotech is successful and influential").

Someone is wrong on the internet? Inconceivable! :)

Joking aside, the article makes no distinction between what is legally Macross vs. what is legally Robotech. The article is either very poorly researched/sourced by a misinformed writer or is genuinely trolling a known controversial subject in anime fandom for the purpose of generating hits on the website. I'm going with the latter.

Personally, I think it's a shameful disservice to the writers and artists of Macross that their hard work is being co-opted as "Robotech" by the writer of the article. The article writer is ignorantly granting credit for Macross to Robotech/Harmony Gold, which is legally, financially and morally as wrong as our minds have the ability to comprehend. Hyperbole justified :)

Someone is wrong on the internet? Inconceivable! :)

Joking aside, the article makes no distinction between what is legally Macross vs. what is legally Robotech. The article is either very poorly researched/sourced by a misinformed writer or is genuinely trolling a known controversial subject in anime fandom for the purpose of generating hits on the website. I'm going with the latter.

Personally, I think it's a shameful disservice to the writers and artists of Macross that their hard work is being co-opted as "Robotech" by the writer of the article. The article writer is ignorantly granting credit for Macross to Robotech/Harmony Gold, which is legally, financially and morally as wrong as our minds have the ability to comprehend. Hyperbole justified :)

Agreed.