macross: Skull Leader, Love Stories, and Remember Me

Skull Leader

To each their own... for what it was worth, I briefly considered just porting over the original graphics.... they just don't look as good on today's bigger monitors I think. It's an aesthetic choice and I can understand why you feel the way you do!

My translations right now are good up to the first mission I think... you're welcome to send yours over though, as I'm always happy to have something to compare them against. Shoot them to jhousdan (at) Hotmail.com.

I can send you the game files. Give me an addy and I'll put a package together. You need the emu too?

• 3 weeks later...

So I just noticed this thread. This is an awesome project.

SOB *still* won't tell me how he ripped the audio. It's cool, I've found my own method...

I'd wager he's recording the actual analog audio output of a PC-98. It's low-tech, but it's the easiest way if you have the hardware, and about the only way to guarantee it sounds RIGHT.

Especially with that Ryu Umemoto(OMG!!!) credit on the soundtrack, as he tended to push the synthesizer chips they used in those systems pretty hard, and his tracks don't always work right on "compatible" synthesizers(Umemoto was very disappointed they didn't ask him to redo the Yu-No soundtrack for the Saturn port, as they DID simply feed his existing music data through a "compatible" FM synth chip, and it DIDN'T sound right).

Emulation of sound hardware is often less than perfect, even on a simple and well-documented platform. And with the deplorable state of japanese computer emulation, I'd have no faith in the final output sounding like it's supposed to.

And of course, just extracting the MIDI data(assuming it's in MIDI and not raw YM commands) is worthless since no modern computer comes with any appropriate synthesizer, and MIDI files don't sound the same on different hardware.

Perhaps not the most useful of insights, but... that's my bet.

So I just noticed this thread. This is an awesome project.

I'd wager he's recording the actual analog audio output of a PC-98. It's low-tech, but it's the easiest way if you have the hardware, and about the only way to guarantee it sounds RIGHT.

Especially with that Ryu Umemoto(OMG!!!) credit on the soundtrack, as he tended to push the synthesizer chips they used in those systems pretty hard, and his tracks don't always work right on "compatible" synthesizers(Umemoto was very disappointed they didn't ask him to redo the Yu-No soundtrack for the Saturn port, as they DID simply feed his existing music data through a "compatible" FM synth chip, and it DIDN'T sound right).

Emulation of sound hardware is often less than perfect, even on a simple and well-documented platform. And with the deplorable state of japanese computer emulation, I'd have no faith in the final output sounding like it's supposed to.

And of course, just extracting the MIDI data(assuming it's in MIDI and not raw YM commands) is worthless since no modern computer comes with any appropriate synthesizer, and MIDI files don't sound the same on different hardware.

Perhaps not the most useful of insights, but... that's my bet.

I employed a pretty low-tech method, lol.

I ran the game in through the ANEX86 emulator and recorded a video of each track of music. I extracted the audio from the video and looped it, lol. I've compared a few of my own rips to his, and they sound almost identical (his are a little clearer), so at least the emulator is reproducing the sound faithfully.

Ultimately I'd like to get someone to remix the music tracks... since I'm modernizing everything else about the game, running the original music seems a little anachronistic. Still, I'm using the originals as a placeholder until I find someone who can do some remixes.

Small update: I actually have functionally recreated the game up to the point where the player takes control. It's just dialogue, so it really isn't a big deal yet, but it's a huge step for me. I've been using the Fungus plugin for Unity3D to do the story dialog, and there's been a small learning curve to tackle. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's a start! I've taken a small break from the game to keep from getting burned out and to work on other hobbies, but I'm going to dive back into it this week I think.

Edited by Skull Leader

• 2 weeks later...

I employed a pretty low-tech method, lol.

I ran the game in through the ANEX86 emulator and recorded a video of each track of music. I extracted the audio from the video and looped it, lol. I've compared a few of my own rips to his, and they sound almost identical (his are a little clearer), so at least the emulator is reproducing the sound faithfully.

Low-tech is the best way sometimes. Glad to know it's comparing well.

Ultimately I'd like to get someone to remix the music tracks... since I'm modernizing everything else about the game, running the original music seems a little anachronistic. Still, I'm using the originals as a placeholder until I find someone who can do some remixes.

As a personal opinion, I'd keep the chiptunes as an option.

(That's actually how I play Ys. Modern release, high-resolution, full-color... original PC88 soundtrack)

Small update: I actually have functionally recreated the game up to the point where the player takes control. It's just dialogue, so it really isn't a big deal yet, but it's a huge step for me.

Awesome!

As a personal opinion, I'd keep the chiptunes as an option.

(That's actually how I play Ys. Modern release, high-resolution, full-color... original PC88 soundtrack)

It's *always* an option! (and I agree... I'm the same way when I play Final Fantasy IV on my PSP, I opt to use the original soundtrack usually.)

I've kinda stepped off for a few weeks just so I don't get burned out on it... but I'll be digging my heels back in as soon as I finish this next commission build model!

• 1 month later...