Where's our PS Vita Macross game or mobile Macross games?

Graham

From what I've read, the PS Vita is having a tough launch in Japan. Sales aren't that great. It has yet to hit stateside, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it does well, as it kinda helps my career.

The launch library seems rather weak, both the Japanese and known US launch titles. I was going to pick this up,

but none of the available games really catch my eye. Will probably wait for a killer app

before getting one. (Yes, a Macross artdink game would count.)

Edited by hulagu

The probability is looking very good. The next Gundam Battle game has already been announced for the vita, and should hit in a couple months. So I can easily see the next Macross installment hitting before the end of the year.

Oh fiddlesticks. The Vita has been doing just fine, especially considering that theres no killer app on it for Japanese gamers (ie, MonHun or DQ). Also that whole economic downturn thingy. But I've seen plenty of them in the wild and NEAR picks up over 20 users in my general vicinity. Also, Uncharted Golden Abyss is a great damn game - gave it the Portable Game of the Year Award in my GotY podcast even :-) And the US gets a lot more games than Japan did. You lucky buggers will be getting Gravity Dayze at launch! I've played the demo of that darn game at least 5 times. Its refreshingly unique and startingly pretty.

As for a Macross game on the system - its possible, certainly. With no new animation out to tie it into and a relatively tiny (since it just launched) install base though, I wouldnt expect it anytime soon. A PS3 version would make a lot more sense at this point.

Oh fiddlesticks. The Vita has been doing just fine, especially considering that theres no killer app on it for Japanese gamers (ie, MonHun or DQ). Also that whole economic downturn thingy. But I've seen plenty of them in the wild and NEAR picks up over 20 users in my general vicinity. Also, Uncharted Golden Abyss is a great damn game - gave it the Portable Game of the Year Award in my GotY podcast even :-) And the US gets a lot more games than Japan did. You lucky buggers will be getting Gravity Dayze at launch! I've played the demo of that darn game at least 5 times. Its refreshingly unique and startingly pretty.

As for a Macross game on the system - its possible, certainly. With no new animation out to tie it into and a relatively tiny (since it just launched) install base though, I wouldnt expect it anytime soon. A PS3 version would make a lot more sense at this point.

Aside from SEED having its 10th anniv, there's no new animation there. Considering Macross is having its 30th anniversary, I think we're just as likely if not more so to see a Vita game this year. We know they've already got the engine going on PS3, the question at this point is how many models they've worked on. Macross is an easier game to produce for the sole reason that there's a lot fewer mecha types than mobile suits in gundam, and for some reason we (Macross fans) love color/head varieants (not questioning it, but it'd be silly in almost any other franchise).

With that said, I'd be damned surprise if there isn't a Vita game this fall, or at the very latest spring 2013.

Not much point in debating this since everything is based on conjecture at this point, although I will say that I disagree with your logic here for two reasons:

1)Seed IS getting new animation...of sorts. The Gundam Seed HD Remaster Project is getting heavily promoted at the moment and is even getting a full rebroadcast and includes a HD, 16:9 transfer, some new sound recording and some completely new added scenes. Thats the reason there is a Vita game coming out. (sigh, makes the upcoming Macross tv bluray boxset pale by comparison, doesnt it?)

http://www.gundam-seed.net/

2)Macross is a niche title and putting a game out on a system with a fledgling install base makes very little business sense. Having said that, another new Macross FRONTIER game (ie, something based nearly exclusively on Frontier content) is not out of the realm of possibility, especially seeing that even Satellite has been somewhat surprised by the continuing popularity of Frontier (this is from comments I heard at the Macross F Festival in Yokohama last weekend)

But we will just have to wait and see :-)

Edited by Tochiro

C:All 3 Macross PSP games have outsold their Gundam PSP counterparts (save for the Vs games), and we already "know" that artdink is working on a higher res Macross game, we've seen 2 beta releases for the PS3 already.

I really enjoyed the 3 that come out for psp.

I hope one for PSVita, but he's too young and still full of bugs.

Wait a little longer.

But I really a Macross game for 3DS :p

Too young and full of bugs? WTF are you smoking?

Too young and full of bugs? WTF are you smoking?

Yes.

The Vita is now up to the normal around the Sony console as usual around launch.

It's not difficult to find someone complaining about the problems such as a crash at one time or another or the screen goes all black.

I've been following some import vita forums, and haven't heard anything like that. Hel, I've got a launch PS3, & had a launch PSP and never had problems. Only compaints I've heard are things Sony already told people about, i.e. feature's not being enabled until the U.S. launch.

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from SEED having its 10th anniv, there's no new animation there. Considering Macross is having its 30th anniversary, I think we're just as likely if not more so to see a Vita game this year. We know they've already got the engine going on PS3, the question at this point is how many models they've worked on. Macross is an easier game to produce for the sole reason that there's a lot fewer mecha types than mobile suits in gundam, and for some reason we (Macross fans) love color/head varieants (not questioning it, but it'd be silly in almost any other franchise).

With that said, I'd be damned surprise if there isn't a Vita game this fall, or at the very latest spring 2013.

I think the model thing doesn't hold much ground anymore at this time. Enough time has passed for them to finish all the mechs that were included in Triangle Frontier and more by this date. Especially if, as you say, there are color/head variants.

That said, I do want a new installment. What I REALLY want to know is if the Vita is region free, though.

I think the model thing doesn't hold much ground anymore at this time. Enough time has passed for them to finish all the mechs that were included in Triangle Frontier and more by this date. Especially if, as you say, there are color/head variants.

That said, I do want a new installment. What I REALLY want to know is if the Vita is region free, though.

I'm honestly not sure how long it takes them to render models for the PS3/Vita, as there is a "lot" more detail (as shown by the PS3 demo's). The Vita is region free for actual game cards, but it's region locked for PSN network accounts/DLC. What this basically means, is hopefully there won't be any DLC on these games...

What? So... I can't buy games from the Japanese PSN if I buy one in the United States? That reeks. I have three accounts. One from the US, one from Mexico and one from Japan. I have bought games in the three of them. That's... Horribly BAD... Where did you get this info? Perhaps you are referring to something like the PSP where the device gets locked into a single account so you can run the software of the region you bought from? I have jumped between those three regions with my PSP with no problems. Granted, once I activate the Japanese software, I can't use the Mexican or US software until I activate one of them, which deactivates the Japanese one, but that only takes downloading one game or DLC to the memory stick. I really hope that's the locking you refer to.

But getting to the topic, I do know the models are really detailed, but come on, it's been a long time since the Itsuwari no Utahime hybrid disc came out. They can't take THIS much into making models. If they were working on a game, they would at least have one fully complete.

I'm honestly not sure how long it takes them to render models for the PS3/Vita, as there is a "lot" more detail (as shown by the PS3 demo's). The Vita is region free for actual game cards, but it's region locked for PSN network accounts/DLC. What this basically means, is hopefully there won't be any DLC on these games...

Yes, I'd like confirmation of this fact as well. As I understand it, the PSN store region is locked to whatever PSN account the Vita is activated under. Does this http://psvitaplanet....weak-uncovered/ workaround no longer work under the latest firmware or something? Albeit the no support for foreign PS Stores for import games and making your customers jump through hoops is retarded to begin with when your system is regionless and supposedly import friendly by design.

I'm asking because I just buckled and bought a system, and was hoping to create a secondary PSN account for Japanese games. Speaking of which, for those with Japanese PS Store access, are any of the Macross games for PSP available for download at present? *edit* hmm, apparently not.

Edited by hulagu

Regards your question for Macross games for download, the answer is zero... Which is ridiculous...

Huh... So the Vita is set to only use one single account? That stinks. Let's see... I think I'll buy a US Vita and set it to run only Japanese games from the store, I guess. The games I like the most are from that region. Sucks that I won't be able to run the PS1 games from the US store or the PSP games from the Mexican store, but... Since I assume that exploit will soon be patched, I will have to set it to only the Japanese one...

Those fools...

Edited by CrazyMartian

From how I understand it, you can only have 1 account active on each system period, regardless of the region. To switch accounts you have to reset the system to factory settings. The same goes for memory cards apparently, and the current work arounds are:

-Have multiple memory cards, one for each account, pop out card & reset the system, then pop in that accounts card.

-Have one card and do a backup of the account profile onto your PC, format system & card then re-install whichever profile backup you'd like to use.

This is pretty obnoxious in general, but at least it's not locked for physical copies of games. I just hope they change their mind later & allow account switching on the fly like with the ps3.

i think you must be doing it wrong. :-p

Yup, while it's true that Sony "could" have supported the PS3 version of linux to lock it up from hacks & requiring a specific build to use, it's not their proprietary software, and I'm sure was seen as more of a headache than anything after the bootlegged games started. Don't blame Sony for that one, you know who's fault it is.

Argh, ran into another surprise annoyance on the Vita's PSN implementation.

Trophies for any specific game card seems to be locked permanently to a single PSN account only, specifically the first PSN account to ever sync trophies online (or play the game while registered? Not sure.). Attempting to play under another account after that will bring up a message informing you that trophies can no longer be earned. Resetting game data on the card from in the game DOES NOT HELP, nor does factory resetting the Vita. AFAIK I know, there is no way to delete trophies off from PSN. I guess the PSN account data is stored on the game card itself?

Just a heads up for anyone who cares about such things, Sync on the correct region account first. Also, I suppose this prevents trophies for those who buy 2nd hand games (which i assume is the point).

Edited by hulagu

That is a bitch move by Sony, but then the biggest deomographic of people affected would be game renters. Since the rental shop is damn near dead anyway, it won't affect them much at all. And while it'll definately hurt resale value a bit, I think Sony should consider doing things that will make people "want" to purchase a Vita, more than reasons not to.