TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

@ no3ljm

Thank you very much for the reply.

The possibility of somebody putting a pilot inside did not enter my mind. It is however a logical explanation and if it is true, it was nicely done by the previous owner. I will never attempt removing a cockpit from a classic Macross variable fighter especially from a VE-1. I transformed it to a Valkyrie and found out that there is even a co-pilot.

post-13920-0-75733500-1417789857_thumb.jpg

Edited by long time lurker

@ no3ljm

Thank you very much for the reply.

The possibility of somebody putting a pilot inside did not enter my mind. It is however a logical explanation and if it is true, it was nicely done by the previous owner. I will never attempt removing a cockpit from a classic Macross variable fighter especially from a VE-1. I transformed it to a Valkyrie and found out that there is even a co-pilot.

You're welcome long time lurker. ^_^

I'm curious though on what glue he used. Somehow I can see like a clear 'goop' behind the main pilot. Anyways, it's a cool mod to add those pilots in there. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about VF-1J heads! I just saw my friend's Bandai Origin of Valkyrie Hikaru mecha, and I noticed the head looked different from all the other VF-1J heads I had seen. Namely, it has no face beneath the visor and also has more paint around the visor. This is the pic I found of it - the one I mean is on the far right. Why is it so different from the usual VF-1J head? It's like they chopped it's "mouth" off. I don't think this is a difference between movie and TV designs, but I guess I could be wrong...

Or did Bandai/Takatoku just never have an accurate VF-1J headsculpt and they are all like this?

Toynami-MPC-VF-1-191.jpg

Edited by Robowang

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so Bandai and Takatoku just made crummy heads for this figure in the 80s. Got it!

Also, it's kinda sad. This is the only VF mold I've ever really liked. Too bad I won't be able to get one with an official accurate head.

It's understandable since back in the 80's, there still no sophisticated software like autocad and accurate molds like what they're using now in the 2000's. Back then, those products already surpassed everyone's imagination of having transforming valkyries. I, too, would love to get a 'takatoku' fig someday, since I missed having one when I was a kid. The only thing that's stopping me to have one is that I always compare it to what's coming out these days that looks more accurate and the price. ;)

Here's a question: did the V.1 Yamato 1/60 VF-1s ever have super/strike parts sold separately? If so, what's the difference between their box's appearance and that of the V.2's?

Thanks!

Edited by Sildani

Here's a question: did the V.1 Yamato 1/60 VF-1s ever have super/strike parts sold separately? If so, what's the difference between their box's appearance and that of the V.2's?

Thanks!

No, they were sold as bundles with the VF-1.

They were released as Super VF-1J Hikaru, Super VF-1J M&M and the Strike VF-1S Roy.

• 2 weeks later...

hows it goin everyone new member,

Im usually a TF guy when it comes to collecting but the 30th anniversary 1/100 toynami VF-1J got me interested into looking more in depth with the line. Im interested in getting the bandai Hi Metal VF-1J, so what should i be expecting to pay with the aftermarket?

Thanks in advance!

They are making a new version of that line presumably later this year so if you can you should wait, you'll probably get a better toy cheaper.

how many things will be remade? I'm asking because I am just now getting into the macross vf-1 collection scene and if i can get new figures at retail instead of getting gouged on aftermarket prices then I would definitely prefer that option!

I'm really only looking for robotech tv models. so ghost squadron, and a few destroids. what's your advice? thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this is the right spot to ask dumb questions. I have a general idea of how it works, but could somebody talk me through ordering something off yahoo JP auctions? I know you need a middleman and have to pay shipping twice consequently, but I don't know enough about reputable services and the proper order of events. Any help would be great, thank you

Looks like this is the right spot to ask dumb questions. I have a general idea of how it works, but could somebody talk me through ordering something off yahoo JP auctions? I know you need a middleman and have to pay shipping twice consequently, but I don't know enough about reputable services and the proper order of events. Any help would be great, thank you

buyee.jp

fromjapan.co.jp

the commission is 5% to 10% of the overall cost though each proxy has a different basis on where they compute it. Based on computation, even though FJ ask for 5% commission, the final price is usually the same with buyee (since as I said, they use a different base for the commission) but I always use FJ due to Shipping options.

The domestic shipping per toy is less than 1000 yen (provided I never bought any large item). You also have to pay bank charges that is less than 200 yen. These add on are per item you won in Yahoo auctions unless you want both items from same seller or shop.

In terms of price? Poor packaging? Or just lazy service?

pricing is usually fair. Packaging is average. I only bought from them once and that was a good deal so I dont know how things will go if that went bad. If you live in a country that there is no customs taxes on toy, just use paypal and use an insured shipping.