The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

Yes some of the diehard GunBuster OVA fans might be disappointed by the "creative liberties" taken with the upcoming dvd release and we have ever right to voice our approval or discontent. IMO when reasonable changes occur if it doesn't improve what was already done w/the original, then it was not necessary and the company just wasted money. Remember the same diehard fans who expressed discontent and unwavering loyalty to old animes also tend to be the ones who create, drive, and significantly help complete petitions like AnimEigo's Macross tv, Kimagure Orange Road tv, ovas, and Yawara.

I for one don't expect all anime fans and especially all GunBuster fans to feel passionately about voicing concerns involving creative liberties. But for some of us, we simply want the product unaltered as much as possible from the original contents, this is not the same as a perfect release.

You might think we are needlessly complaining and I understand what you are saying, but sometimes when you patiently waited as long as Noriko and myself have for this licensed dvd release, you really hope for the best effort from the company. Creative liberties IMO generally do not please the diehard fans, such was the case with Dangaioh and Manga Entertainment, but that is another topic entirely.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

How is burning copies of the unaltered version for those who buy the R1 piracy? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

To be honest, those who've never seen it unaltered probably have even more reason to be upset about it. This isn't a case of "ignorence is bliss" (though I'm sure that's a slogan to those who think these things are no biggie and seem to think we're still in the age where we should be thankful for any release no matter what they mess up, lest we not be that even so untangible "true anime fan", despite the fact that anime is becoming more and more mainstream, with more licenses than ever so there really is no excuse for this kind of bull anymore B)) ), it's a case of never seeing ther scene as intended. Wouldn't you be peeved if you knew a scene was changed and had no way of seeing it how it should be? Not to mention that your first viewing is of it altered. I like experiencing things as originally intended whenever possible. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Though I suppose we should just roll over and turn a blind eye, as it's "only 90 or so seconds". Why not. That way we'll be "good little fans", from your point of view. "I don't care what you do to it, change tiny things for no reason, loosen the translation-it doesn't matter. Heck, mutilate it for all I care. Just give me that shiny, DVD Goodness! Anime is so scarce!" Yes, let's project an image to companies saying we are so starved for anything in R1 that they can make any "creative" changes they please and we'll lap it up. That's certainly the best way to make sure the Streamline days don't come back. :rolleyes: Descent is a good thing for crying out loud!

It's something we love. We have every right to call a company on the mishandling of it, no matter how inconsequential it is to you. Did you honestly expect a bunch of people posting in a thread called "The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0" to give BV a hearty slap on the back and say "Good job, I never liked that song anyway. It's good you tried to sneak it by us"? It's something of a stab in the back, and a foolish move by a distributor that was making all the right ones until now. If you don't want to hear it, it's a great big forum, full of stuff you'll find infinately more interesting.

Where have you been Noriko? I feel like I've taken over this thread? :ph34r:

Well, Merc ol' buddy, I agree with you wholeheartedly. And, the thread is in good hands. Sorry I've been away lately, but I've been recently diagnosed with depression and my life was fracked up beyond belief. Now that my medication is working, I'm back. The talking to the shrink is helping too.

Edit* By the way, there has got to be a way of sending this reply with the rude comment Keith got back to someone over in Bandai's customer service. That remark was totally inexcusable. If I had said something similar to that where I work, I would have been reprimanded or fired.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I'm quite afraid if they edited out the fanservice, especially the bath scene.

I seriously doubt that was ever a consideration. Now stuff like the Karaoke/debate transcript bit I'll be curious to see got in or not. I'll let you know for sure though in a few hours. ;)

Edited by JELEINEN

As for the complaining, let me elaborate. It's counterproductive. The popular stereotype of hardcore American anime fans is that we are never satisfied with anything and will complain about everything. Whatever a company does with a title, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Oh my god...that's a huge load of B.S.

There are plenty of anime releases that go off without a hitch and without complaint. The shelf in my living room is full of them. Totally unedited, uncut series that generated no fan backlash. These releases are unedited and uncut because because that's what anime fans want and we get pissed and cancel preorders when original animes are messed with. If we listened to you, we'd still have stuff like Robotech and Macron 1 over here.

If they know we will complain about something on every single release, where is their commitment to release quality products?
Um, because if they don't release quality products, less people will buy them?

They can pass off any garbage, because whether it's an A or F level release, someone will find something at fault with it.
So, for an anime company, an A level release, met with universal acclaim and high sales and a few minor gripes, is equivalent to an F level release with mediocre sales and and huge fan backlash.

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

The case with Zeta made at least some sense, as it was made clear that it was far too prohibitive to license the songs. I was diappointed, but I can't argue with that. We still dont know exactly why, after over 15 years in the states (Gunbuster was one of the first animes ever licensed for video, this isn't some lost classic finally brought to america here like Zeta), this particular piece is suddenly an issue. So there's a differnce there. Sure one should pick their battles. I'd say an unexplained change to a key piece of music with next to no exploration when it's been around the block for ages with no problem is something of a good fight to pick. Especially when it involves one's favorite anime.

I'm more peeved at the horrid subs the Zeta boxset had. They forgot the subs. At least they caught it for the individual releases (the release I'm collecting). Did they ever do anything for the fans with the boxset?

Sorry to hear you coming down on hard times, Noriko. Though it's good to hear that things are starting to work out.

They didn't deam it big enough a difference to offer an "offcial" exchange for the individual release disc's. I picked them up during a righstuf Bandai sale, and sent them a letter telling them I paid for their product twice, and would appreciate better fan consideration in the future.

Strange thing about the Zeta situation though, songs were still there on the official release Korean box set. Though the flipside being that those original themes haven't popped up in any official U.S. or Japanese Zeta licensed products since (i.e. no games after AEUG Vs Titans which was released before the situation came about, and the Zeta movies completely did away with them). So who knows what's actually going on there.

And hey Noriko, I didn't feel a response through e-mail would get through to the proper channels about that comment, so I'm waiting to mail back a nice letter with my Gunbuster response card that comes with the box set :) Anyone else who wants to express their feelings on the whole situation would probably do well to do the same.

Mercurial Morpheus was it just the one episode they were screening at the convention, if it was, who's to know if the other episodes were altered as well, I'm beginning to worry about that, they may have cut scenes just like my UK version.

Just the one.

I wouldn't worry much about cut scenes. In the US, they love messing with releases in more devious ways than directly slicing out scenes.

If anything else is changed, it'll probably be more audio cuts, or sloppy translation. Though, since the cat's out of the bag, I'd imagine they'd fess up if there were any more changes.

I wonder a lot about the science thesis.

It's times like this that I'm glad I stick to my VHS collection. I'm only getting this as it's my favorite, and that I have fansubs of the extra material (even the unmatted episode six not in this set) that I should legitimize in principal.

Music changes and translation errors, I can live with. I hope thats all there is cos I've already pre-ordered my set from my importer weeks ago and they don't allow order cancellations after so many days.

Oh my god...that's a huge load of B.S.

There are plenty of anime releases that go off without a hitch and without complaint. The shelf in my living room is full of them. Totally unedited, uncut series that generated no fan backlash. These releases are unedited and uncut because because that's what anime fans want and we get pissed and cancel preorders when original animes are messed with. If we listened to you, we'd still have stuff like Robotech and Macron 1 over here.

Actually, there are probably very FEW, if any at all, that are released here perfectly. Perfection is impossible. Granted, I don't see the who hubbub about what is going on here, but people need to seriously lay off. You can't have an EXACT copy of something that once was anyways. Times change, ideas change, stories change and people just need to live up to it. Should we all start preparing for the Apocalypse when the Transformers movie comes out? :-/

Um, because if they don't release quality products, less people will buy them?

Zeta Gundam didn't live up to the quality that most people expected, yet according to video scan results (from what I recall having a rep tell me), they still managed to sell over 45,000 copies of the boxed set. I don't think that is too shabby of a number now is it?

So, for an anime company, an A level release, met with universal acclaim and high sales and a few minor gripes, is equivalent to an F level release with mediocre sales and and huge fan backlash.

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

Please reread what he said. He said that it doesn't matter whether it is a high-quality release or the scum of all releases, there will always be something in it that fans will complain about. Anything released, regardless of what is included or excluded will always be met with criticism. If you people are really that concerned with what is in this and what isn't, then buy the original from Japan and watch in its "untainted" form.

Well enuff trolling. Argument is silly. I can live without the changes but understandably the hardcore fans can't. Don't have to go dissing each other for being uber geek or not etc. I can understand why they'd be upset over the changes as well.

Oh well...better release in region 1 then never , that's what i'd like to think.

I have mine. The packaging is okay. I'd have preferred a nice art box to just a slip cover with promo stuff on the back instead of more art (the promo info could have been an insert inside the shrink wrap. That's admittedly a minor nitpick. The biggest problem is they used a cardboard case with plastic trays. I've found the disc holders on those trays to be brittle and easily broken. Unlike a regular case, once it breaks, you're pretty much SOL. The art is good though and I like the design on the discs themselves.

The book is very nice as it gives not only extra information, but an actual analysis of each episode.

I'll be watching it all later this evening and may post more thoughts.

As for the music issue, I plan on writing Bandai a letter (a real one, not an e-mail) stating my disapointment in their decision (politely though).

Honestly, I think the complaints expressed in this thread have been reasonable and level. I take it some people never venture into the toy section of this board.

Do you SERIOUSLY think they are going to care? The changes are in place and nothing will rectify it. Suck it up as a fan and deal with it. You should be glad that this is even being released. Writing a letter isn't going to make a difference because I can tell you that they will laugh at it and put it in the circular file...

Do you SERIOUSLY think they are going to care? The changes are in place and nothing will rectify it. Suck it up as a fan and deal with it. You should be glad that this is even being released. Writing a letter isn't going to make a difference because I can tell you that they will laugh at it and put it in the circular file...

Actually, your are quite wrong there. When Evangelion was originally released on DVD, they screwed a lot of things up by removing the Japanese text from signs and such, and implementing their own captions therefore altering the original artwork. They also did this to the original release of Nadessico. There was such a roar from the fan base as to what had been done that ADV Films was forced to rework EVA's first disc as well as all of Nadessico and re-release them. Letters do work as a way of letting companies know what their customers are thinking. They can actually make or break a company, depending on how they are implemented.

Actually, there are probably very FEW, if any at all, that are released here perfectly. Perfection is impossible. Granted, I don't see the who hubbub about what is going on here, but people need to seriously lay off. You can't have an EXACT copy of something that once was anyways. Times change, ideas change, stories change and people just need to live up to it.

Why can't we have it the way it was? It was for sale in the US unaltered by two other companies originally. I think it reasonable that Bandai should have done the same with their DVD release. As for laying off, I don't think we will, and I do not intend to just live with it as you state above.

Since you obviously can't carry on a civil conversation: welcome to my ignore list, Tom Cruise.

Since you obviously can't carry on a civil conversation: welcome to my ignore list, Tom Cruise.

Judging by what you've said, you should ignore yourself then =). Seriously, you are one of the fans that clearly complains and moans about every little thing with an anime release. They could very well not release the series here at all, then you'd have to resort to the wonderful world of innacurate fansubs and the like. It's a song. It isn't the end of the world. It has no bearing on the actual storyline, so what gives?

Actually, your are quite wrong there. When Evangelion was originally released on DVD, they screwed a lot of things up by removing the Japanese text from signs and such, and implementing their own captions therefore altering the original artwork. They also did this to the original release of Nadessico. There was such a roar from the fan base as to what had been done that ADV Films was forced to rework EVA's first disc as well as all of Nadessico and re-release them. Letters do work as a way of letting companies know what their customers are thinking. They can actually make or break a company, depending on how they are implemented.

I saw EVA a while back, but I really couldn't stand the show, so I never bought it. Then again, this was back in the day, so... yeah with ADV still being "young", I'd say they didn't want to cave early on. I doubt they'd do that again now. In addition, one thing that people may have overlooked is that this change was more than likely DICTATED from Japan. It's happened with Gundam, and it sure as heck has happened with other anime. They make changes to the American release thinking that they will do better, when sometimes they don't. Sure, Bandai rereleased Zeta Gundam with corrected subs, but the 10ep DVD pack was planned anyways. They make changes they think are applicable. There is no written rule that says we have to have everything carry over here into America.

Why can't we have it the way it was? It was for sale in the US unaltered by two other companies originally. I think it reasonable that Bandai should have done the same with their DVD release. As for laying off, I don't think we will, and I do not intend to just live with it as you state above.

You can't even compare them because the changes made to Nadesico and EVA were by ADV Films, not the Japanese licensor. It was within ADV's power to make those changes. All the complaining in the world by American fans won't change a decision from Japan.

Something else needs to be made clear again- no anime fan likes these changes, but you have to accept that they exist. Of course, that may be too much to ask when American fans have elevated Gunbuster to a sacred cow status with impossibly high expectations. Really, we all know that this change isn't destructive as it's being made out to be. If this inconsequential change is so life-shattering, the R0 and R2 are out there.

I still find it amusing that as long as the change "doesn't affect the story", it's no big deal. By that reasoning, the company could change large portions of the animation, music, even specific dialog, and as long as the storie's still the same, it's still, "no big deal".

A show is much more than just a story. It's the sum of it's parts. The music is part of what makes a scene a scene. It wouldn't be as bad if the music weren't the focus of the scene, but in this case it was. I've seen the altered episode. It may be no biggie to you, but to a fan like me, it pulled me out of the show. That's never a good thing. We're also not saying that it's life shattering, but is it so wrong to voice dissatifaction over something important to you? You once argued that there are worse things. Yes there are. Yes, the DBZ situation is far worse, and I'll gladly fight to help correct it. However, I'm not a DBZ fan. I am a Gunbuster fan. This is also a Gunbuster thread. So naturally, a two minute audio change in Gunbuster affects e far more than the mass f+ck up that Funi's pulling on DBZ. It's nowhere near as bad, but it is concerning a show I care a lot more for. That's not to hard to understand.

Is it really easonably for a company to tell it's fans that if they, "can't handle", they can buy a more expensive release without subs? I thought the R0 was for those dedicated enough to want all the extras, not a fallback for stuff like this. I guess they figured people like us will buy it anyway.

Again, it's no big deal to you. Great. Move on than. To sit here and complain about those that do care is far more pointless than those who wish to express their dissatifaction in a civil manner. Does it really hurt you that much if we write letters? Does it affect your day that badly to know that some people feel that they should tell Bandai that we care about something beyond just huge, cataclimic storyline changes, and actually like the little nuances that make a show great?

It's not even about "sacred cow" status. You act like we're complaining about the packaging. "Oh, I can't buy that, they used Mikimoto's new artstyle. The set has been soiled". Don't you think people in a thread devoted to Gunbuster, might just like it enough to not be happy.

We're not even boycotting the release for crying out loud. We're not going to other boards saying, "Don't buy it, it's flawed". We're just spreading the word that Bandai covered up, and organizing some feedback campaign so Bandai will know to think twice in the future. If you look through the thread, this is the first time anything negative about the release came up. No one even coplained about the lack of the unmatted episode 6, a big feature on the R2. Quite simply, aside from this, we were all looking forward to it, and it looked like it was to be exactly what we wanted. One can't help but feel disappointment when perfection was less than a month away (a week to pre-orderers.) Heck, I'm buying it, if only for the booklet and other extras (and completest value). I' still glad I no longer have to tell people it's not available when they tell me they've never heard of it. I just wish they haven't messed with it.

As for Eva, the DVD release was the one altered, not the VHS. ADV was a decade old by than. Hardly in the position to cave young. That's why people were peeved. So it's very similar. Something was altered that wasn't in the past.

The most ridiculous part here is we only have speculation as to why. One rep said copyright issues, but wasn't sure. The official letter merely states that it was something they felt needed to be done. We're given no reason.

Drop it guys. It's obvious you just like heckling we, "unreasonable fans". The situations sad enough without your belittling. Your point is made, as is mine. May we discuss something else now ChrisG? Or must we keep defending and justifying our actions to you. No one's saying you condone changes, but you sure seem to enjoy making light of those who expressly don't.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

A show is much more than just a story. It's the sum of it's parts. The music is part of what makes a scene a scene. It wouldn't be as bad if the music weren't the focus of the scene, but in this case it was. I've seen the altered episode. It may be no biggie to you, but to a fan like me, it pulled me out of the show.

I agree that music is a major portion of the show, however it isn't the end all. If you are a true fan of the series, then you shouldn't have any problem overlooking this "flaw" knowing what is true. Otherwise, it just goes to show how shallow you are. It's all about what YOU want. Well, you don't always GET what YOU want. Welcome to the real world.

That's never a good thing. We're also not saying that it's life shattering, but is it so wrong to voice dissatifaction over something important to you? You once argued that there are worse things. Yes there are.

Still, it's a cartoon. You all make it sound like something apocalyptic will come about if it isn't changed. You spent a piddly $20 on it. It's hardly worth the fanfare and torches. You do realize that while consumers dictate a corporations direction, they don't have to bend into the will of their demands. People are still going to buy it even if people "try" a boycott. As for DBZ, well, that is FUNI. We won't go there =D!

We're not even boycotting the release for crying out loud. We're not going to other boards saying, "Don't buy it, it's flawed". We're just spreading the word that Bandai covered up, and organizing some feedback campaign so Bandai will know to think twice in the future. If you look through the thread, this is the first time anything negative about the release came up. No one even coplained about the lack of the unmatted episode 6, a big feature on the R2. Quite simply, aside from this, we were all looking forward to it, and it looked like it was to be exactly what we wanted. One can't help but feel disappointment when perfection was less than a month away (a week to pre-orderers.) Heck, I'm buying it, if only for the booklet and other extras (and completest value). I' still glad I no longer have to tell people it's not available when they tell me they've never heard of it. I just wish they haven't messed with it.

Okay, wait... what? Bandai is "covering" things up now? What are they, the Bush administration? Things change from a con announcement to when something is released. Anime is never perfect. If the song had been in place, someone would have complained about the subbing style, or not having a certain extra, or how something was said in the dub. Seriously, Bandai won't care what you say. It's a quick series that they are releasing. If it were longer, perhaps, but otherwise, your fates are sealed. Bandai won't think twice, it's wishful thinking. And you said it yourself... it's a nuance, which means they won't care about it.

Watch, Episode 6 will change on the American release and Japan will be in an uproar. Oh I can see it all happening now...

I wonder a lot about the science thesis.

It's there, but untranslated. I'm really not liking the lack of text translation. At the very least, if they didn't want to clutter the screen (which is understandable), they should have included the translations as liner notes.

I just finished the first disc, and other than the aforementioned problems, I thought they did a pretty good job. The translation of the dialog is much more accurate then the old USR version, and looks like it matches up with what I remember of various fansub scripts. The subtitles are clean and well timed.

I'm on disc 2 now.

I agree that music is a major portion of the show, however it isn't the end all. If you are a true fan of the series, then you shouldn't have any problem overlooking this "flaw" knowing what is true. Otherwise, it just goes to show how shallow you are. It's all about what YOU want. Well, you don't always GET what YOU want. Welcome to the real world.

So true fans shouldn't care ()? This change doesn't affect my love of the show, but it does bother me. Sure I could over look it. It's not like I stormed out of the room when it happened. I calmly asked questions, and approached it in a rather calm fashion. The rep was helpful, unlike whomever writes their letters.You're practically saying that if I'm a real fan, I should be overjoyed at the "privalege" to watch the scene in a new light. Seriously, what can of arguement is that? I'm being selfish because I don't like a meaningless change to a show I enjoy? I'm not a fan of it if I don't sit idly by and not even mention it? I suppose since I'm the one who caught it, and brought it to attention, that must mean I'm the worst Gunbuster fan on the planet, right? What I want is for people to enjoy Gunbuster as it should be. Naturally it bothers me that part of it's missing. I suppose you suggest I take solice in the fact that most people will be unaware of the change? Yes it overjoys me to know more people will be seeing it. It's not like I'm demanding BV cancel the release, for crying out loud. It just saddens me that they've made an alteration, gave no real reason for it, than tell fans that care that they should buy a more expensive release without subtitles instead. I don't see how caring about the artistic marit of a show or the rather rude way they're currently handling it makes me shallow. If I'm shallow, how aren't you then? ;) If they'd at least give a more solid reason other than "they felt like doing it", I'd probably have less of a problem.

I've lived in the real world for some time now, thank you. I know full well one doesn't always get what they want. I also know that there's no harm in complaining about it, and that turning a blind eye rarely helps the situation. So really, how are we hurting you?

Still, it's a cartoon. You all make it sound like something apocalyptic will come about if it isn't changed. You spent a piddly $20 on it. It's hardly worth the fanfare and torches. You do realize that while consumers dictate a corporations direction, they don't have to bend into the will of their demands. People are still going to buy it even if people "try" a boycott. As for DBZ, well, that is FUNI. We won't go there =D!

And this is the internet, your point? Despense with the hyperbole please. How am I making it sound apocalyptic? Those are your words, not mine. If anything, you guys are blowing up our reaction more than we are. Also, get your facts straight please. It's much more than 20 bucks. The set retails for $60, the R0 for $100. If I buy both, as Bandai suggests, that's hardly a "piddly $20". Whether the price is warrented or not is subjective anyway.I also distinctly said we weren't boycotting it. Of course people will still buy it , and i hope they enjoy it.

It's there, but untranslated. I'm really not liking the lack of text translation. At the very least, if they didn't want to clutter the screen (which is understandable), they should have included the translations as liner notes.

Thanks for the update. I was afraid of that. Newspapers and graffiti are one thing, but even US Renditions translated the thing. The science aspect is a huge portion of the show, and this is a pretty decent omission. Especially when USR got it right. I can understand not cluttering the screen, but they should really provide some sort of text translations. At least on the website. Even ADV pays attention to signs.

Okay, wait... what? Bandai is "covering" things up now? What are they, the Bush administration? Things change from a con announcement to when something is released. Anime is never perfect. If the song had been in place, someone would have complained about the subbing style, or not having a certain extra, or how something was said in the dub. Seriously, Bandai won't care what you say. It's a quick series that they are releasing. If it were longer, perhaps, but otherwise, your fates are sealed. Bandai won't think twice, it's wishful thinking. And you said it yourself... it's a nuance, which means they won't care about it.

Okay, poor choice of words. Still, Bandai only announced it because they were caught. There's no way of knowing whether they would've at a later point. So technically, they were keeping it under wraps. As for the complaining, this is a forum, on the internet. I suppose you believe that all people do here is rave about how great stuff is, and never speak a word negitively. The majority of internet posts are negative. There's no dub by the way. It's also nice to know that you've long given up on there being any customer service in the world. I'd say you're being far more bleak than any of us.

Watch, Episode 6 will change on the American release and Japan will be in an uproar. Oh I can see it all happening now...

Har Har, where would we be without your pissamistic wittisms.

I'm done with this. Again, you don't care, then move on. It doesn't affect you. If you'd like to discuss Gunbuster as a fellow fan, I'll be more than happy too. If you'd rather persist in telling us to "get a life", than please realise that most people that bspend their time arguing on the internet also have no lives, you and I included.

I'm through defending myself. I've more than said my piece, and appreciate if you'd stop trying to complicate things further by picking apart my words and resorting to namecalling. We're all fans here. Let's try to respect one another please. :ph34r:

Let's consider this done, please.

Thanks for the update. I was afraid of that. Newspapers and graffiti are one thing, but the science aspect is a major part of the show. I can't help but feel that this is a glaring omission translation-wise. What's worse is that even US Renditions translated it by replacing the text. I took can understand not wanting to clutter. Though it'd be nice if the booklet or at least the website had it.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Heads up for when you get your DVD's. Make sure you open the case flat on a table or something. All 3 disc's in my set were merely sitting on their hubs, instead of being snugly placed on them. If I hadn't been sitting down when I opened the case, I would have dropped a disc on the floor.

Nothing was scratched luckily, but strange none the less.

When you said R0, I thought you meant the HK disc, without a region free player, the all region version of the R2 that BV is supplying is a great set, go for that, as it'd probably be cheaper than picking up the R3 set and a region free player.

I just finished the R1 set BTW, and hey guess what. Aside from the jarrying BGM replacement (man, does that not fit there), all of the audio on the first episode is botched. It's muffled & a bit tinny. When you compare it with the R2 or even the other episodes on the same set, you can really tell how botched the audio re-encode for the edit was. Suck!

Oh, and if you go to the setup menu, there's an option for both dialogue & sign subtitled, solving the problem of onscreen text translations. With that subtitle track, all the incidentals are translated, including the newspaper & application.

Edited by Keith

Oh, and if you go to the setup menu, there's an option for both dialogue & sign subtitled, solving the problem of onscreen text translations. With that subtitle track, all the incidentals are translated, including the newspaper & application.

Wow thats awesome. My rating of this release has just gone up. I was so sure we wouldn't see any on screen text translations.

A JVC that my dad picked out. Other than limited MP3 ability and DVD-A playback, it's not that great, so I doubt it.

If you can find the model number on your dvd player, i could have a quick look to see if there is a hack for it.

Edited by Area88

Assuming, I go about getting the R3, how would I play it?

You can always get your dvd player unlocked, I don't know about the US but here in the UK you can look at adverts in dvd player magazines that offer this service. I've got mine done, thats how I can play dvds from other regions. Another option is to buy a really cheap player not manufactured by big name brands like sony & jvc...etc. Cheaper players by less known manufacturers are usually region free because of the components they use.

Edit-You can also search the internet for a patch that disables the region lock on your dvd drive on your PC.

Edited by kung flu