Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

Gonna need some explaining how Mikumo's drones were able to deflect a dozen micro missiles at point blank range.

One or two yeah...but she took a damn Itano Circus in her face.

Her singing made some of them Deculture.

Edited by kajnrig

animator 1: ok i have done the design for the enemy commander suit.

animator 2: congrats. lets celebrate!

animator 1 and 2 in bar: bottoms up! glug glug glug glug..

animator 1: writes name of mech on napkin............glaug........*passes out*...

:wacko:

Bwahaha! XD

I'm sure others have mentioned the tethers or "reins" the girls (or at least Mikumo, I think) use to ride their respective Valkyries. I wonder if it's literally just a length of string attached to the Valkyrie, or if it's a holographic thing, or what.

I think they need the reins to jump the shark... Too early? Hahaha

Gonna need some explaining how Mikumo's drones were able to deflect a dozen micro missiles at point blank range.

Gotta give her that: she takes it like a champ

A VF-27 was no more spacious than a VF-25's. The virtual cockpit just provides the illusion of a more spacious cockpit...it the pilot's head and cybernetic eyes. Wrap-around imaging provides an optical illusion just like Gundam's linear seat+panoramic monitors. In reality, if you try to stick your arm out in any direction, you wouldn't be able to fully extend it.

brera clearly missed the memo ;)

post-6173-0-89378300-1452075846_thumb.png

just kidding, this is obviously theatrical license.

If the Walküre do have reins, that makes a tiny bit of artistic sense, since the Valkyries of old were supposed to ride down from Valhalla on flying steeds.

Haven't seen the episode yet - lack of time - but I already want them to sing "Kill da Wabbit". That'd make the series, for me.

Because as well as anti-grav drives, holographic projectors, spotlights and ultra-fast recharge batteries, the boomerang drones obviously have advanced pin-point barrier systems, which individually may not protect that large an area, but when combined together with the barriers from other nearby boomerangs drones, the barrier effect is likely strengthened and magnified.

As depicted in the episode, stopping such a heavy attack drains the drones batteries far quicker.

Perhaps the drones have some sort of advanced sensors and can detect the strength of the incoming attack and adjust the barrier strength accordingly, although at the cost of greater battery drain.

Ot Mikumo was able to order the drones to increase barrier strength to maximum.

My theory is one drone by itself is relatively weak, but work multiple drones working together in close proximity, the effect is multiple and enhanced.

Because as well as anti-grav drives, holographic projectors, spotlights and ultra-fast recharge batteries, the boomerang drones obviously have advanced pin-point barrier systems, which individually may not protect that large an area, but when combined together with the barriers from other nearby boomerangs drones, the barrier effect is likely strengthened and magnified.

As depicted in the episode, stopping such a heavy attack drains the drones batteries far quicker.

Perhaps the drones have some sort of advanced sensors and can detect the strength of the incoming attack and adjust the barrier strength accordingly, although at the cost of greater battery drain.

Ot Mikumo was able to order the drones to increase barrier strength to maximum.

My theory is one drone by itself is relatively weak, but work multiple drones working together in close proximity, the effect is multiple and enhanced.

I also wonder if mikumo has some powers that somehow recharges drones.

1. Does her hair glow because of energy emittance from some device on the suit or is the hair the cause of some energy...

2. The drones seems to come alive after she emits the purple glow and breaks out of the rubble.

3. Also noticed that the boomerang is only half of the drone. The other half contains the square with nozzles.

post-15116-0-82536600-1452153630_thumb.jpg

the mystery is keeping me itching to see more...

3. Also noticed that the boomerang is only half of the drone. The other half contains the square with nozzles.

attachicon.gifmikumo1.jpg

The "square with nozzles" is just a drone with its wings folded (see timecode 15:34).

post-2536-0-59131100-1452178347_thumb.png

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I also wonder if mikumo has some powers that somehow recharges drones.

1. Does her hair glow because of energy emittance from some device on the suit or is the hair the cause of some energy...

2. The drones seems to come alive after she emits the purple glow and breaks out of the rubble.

1. The suit. All the girls have that glow. It surrounds them. Even the hair.

2. Probably because she stopped them for that breather she took under the rubble. Her glow was off when she was buried. She was the target of a Itano-missile storm. She moved the drones around her in the nick-of-time and then got buried by rubble. I'm sure she said to herself, "That worked. I'm still alive."

All the girls have the glow but none of them have the hair like Mikumo does. Even discounting that she's clearly somewhat different from the rest of the girls in combat capability.

My money is on Grace-style cyborg - the fingernail communicator, the blade-hair (all of the other characters have "normal" hair except Windermere folks but they all appear consistent within that group), taking the missile hit and extricating herself from the rubble. And then you've got the enigmatic character profile. On top of what we've seen.

Even if she isn't a cyborg, she's clearly got something extra from someplace.

Edited by Rbstr

The "square with nozzles" is just a drone with its wings folded (see timecode 15:34).

attachicon.gifvlcsnap-2016-01-07-09h52m09s363.png

Thanks for pointing that out, saw something unfold out after the drones were released.

The reason i mentioned squares in the centre was the fact that the wings seem to be longer than the square, and hence maybe relied on another half to complete the square shape.

post-15116-0-90603700-1452221380_thumb.jpg

Not sure how they fold back into a square but maybe future lineart will help shed light.

1. The suit. All the girls have that glow. It surrounds them. Even the hair.

2. Probably because she stopped them for that breather she took under the rubble. Her glow was off when she was buried. She was the target of a Itano-missile storm. She moved the drones around her in the nick-of-time and then got buried by rubble. I'm sure she said to herself, "That worked. I'm still alive."

Mikumo seems to not need any D04 pod chargers to recharge drones, as the previous ones all fell off after a similar missle strike.

Whether or not she was lucky is conjuncture i guess.

Perhaps the glow is related to their singing, as it was off when the draken missiles hit mikumo and they stopped singing.

The heart on freyja started to glow too (purple like mikumo...coincidence?), when they sang a certain power song like ikenai borderline.

All the girls have the glow but none of them have the hair like Mikumo does. Even discounting that she's clearly somewhat different from the rest of the girls in combat capability.

My money is on Grace-style cyborg - the fingernail communicator, the blade-hair (all of the other characters have "normal" hair except Windermere folks but they all appear consistent within that group), taking the missile hit and extricating herself from the rubble. And then you've got the enigmatic character profile. On top of what we've seen.

Even if she isn't a cyborg, she's clearly got something extra from someplace.

Her hair doesnt seem to be like hair, but more like wings at times! The enigmatic character profile sure is hinting at something...

post-15116-0-04432300-1452222016_thumb.jpg

Also, Mikumo's fingers move WAY too far when she's doing the W hand sign. Which I'd ignore if anyone else did it, but by appearances no one else can. Which is suspicious when combined with the other circumstantial evidence.

Edited by JB0

Mikumo seems to not need any D04 pod chargers to recharge drones, as the previous ones all fell off after a similar missle strike.

Makina and Reina were still glowing when their drones ran out of power. Again, Mikumo's drones probably powered down while she took the breather under the rubble, i.e., they never ran out of power.

The heart on freyja started to glow too (purple like mikumo...coincidence?), when they sang a certain power song like ikenai borderline.

*psst* People of Windermere. Freyja practically said it when she ran off singing. I suspect it's like the Sound Energy System. If they reach a certain state (physically, emotionally or both), the hair thingy starts glowing. The Pretty Flyboys will likely have a similar reaction at some point.

Her hair doesnt seem to be like hair, but more like wings at times! The enigmatic character profile sure is hinting at something...

Meh. Part of the suit.

Also, Mikumo's fingers move WAY too far when she's doing the W hand sign. Which I'd ignore if anyone else did it, but by appearances no one else can. Which is suspicious when combined with the other circumstantial evidence.

Or she's one of those weirdos with really dexterous fingers (blame the animator). I can kind of do it with my right hand but my left hand definitely will not.

Makina and Reina were still glowing when their drones ran out of power. Again, Mikumo's drones probably powered down while she took the breather under the rubble, i.e., they never ran out of power.

*psst* People of Windermere. Freyja practically said it when she ran off singing. I suspect it's like the Sound Energy System. If they reach a certain state (physically, emotionally or both), the hair thingy starts glowing. The Pretty Flyboys will likely have a similar reaction at some point.

Meh. Part of the suit.

Or she's one of those weirdos with really dexterous fingers (blame the animator). I can kind of do it with my right hand but my left hand definitely will not.

My mind is wandering off for mikumo to be a superhero of some sort..like a jean grey phoenix kinda gal :D:D ...

hmm does that mean mikumo is also a winderemerian? This winderemerian race is becoming interesting...hope for nice backstory/lore, on how they came abt, a race with glowing hair that can extend when excited...

I can cross my inner fingers, but... not like THAT. ALIEN ROBOT HAND, I TELL YOU! Edited by JB0

Actually, we've already seen the pretty flyboys (and their not-so-pretty leader) start lighting up... it definitely seems to coincide with the individual's mood (most likely excitement).

post-2536-0-87392200-1452268201_thumb.png

post-2536-0-53208300-1452268207_thumb.png

post-2536-0-69668300-1452268212_thumb.png

post-2536-0-31884000-1452268217_thumb.png

hmm does that mean mikumo is also a winderemerian? This winderemerian race is becoming interesting...hope for nice backstory/lore, on how they came abt, a race with glowing hair that can extend when excited...

I'm almost positive the answer is "No" as they are setting up the story of Freyja challenging her own people. Mikumo glows purple through mechanical (non-natural) means. Freyja's heart-thingy in her hair is doing so by natural means. That's not to say Mikumo could be of alien-descent but that her abilities are created by technology like the rest of the Walkure girls.

I wonder if the glow is some sort of limited type of ECA built into the speculated suits. I've noticed since MF, all VF's had this outer glow and I've always attributed it to active ECA (Granted it was more likely a way, production wise, to ensure the planes were seen against a black background at all times).

Edited by Zinjo

What if Mikumo, turn out to be transgender, a man turned woman? like the first thing that freyja says is "A rainbow colored voice" and if that is a reference of kawamori trolling?, intruducing a man in a group of girls, you know to make it more to the days, or crazy whichever you llike to think of

My mind is wandering off for mikumo to be a superhero of some sort..like a jean grey phoenix kinda gal :D:D ...

It would be cool if they were the descendants of the original Anima-Spiritia soldiers from the PD War.... They naturally produce fold quartz type crystals that develop at the tips of certain hair strands. That would make for an interesting race!

Robotech's Janice.

We'll have none of that here... <_<:p

Meanwhile, in my fertile imagination...

Animator 1: which mechs are supposed to get destroyed (big space battle scene cel)?

Animator 2: this guy gets a stomach shot and implodes, that guy turns right into a gunpod blast, and all of these unlucky sobs in the bleachers get mowed down by a laser volley from 5 cruisers.

Animator 1: what do we call those mechs again?

Hey, weirder stuff has gone down before... XD

They are called destroids because they get...ummm....destroyed...

attachicon.gifIFZPT.gif

This made me LOL hard on my lunch, now I have to try and explain this to my boss. :D

What if Mikumo, turn out to be transgender, a man turned woman? like the first thing that freyja says is "A rainbow colored voice" and if that is a reference of kawamori trolling?, intruducing a man in a group of girls, you know to make it more to the days, or crazy whichever you llike to think of

I would submit that is a direct reference to the rainbow music beams in M7...

attachicon.gifmikumo2.jpg

Considering that holographic costumes have already been the standard for at least eight years by this point, and that we've seen the technology is easily able to change the appearance of a person's hair as well, if Mikumo's hair isn't simply handwaved as artistic license then it's highly probable that it's a special effect that's being applied courtesy of the holographic costuming. (As a longshot, the ridiculously long hair may not even be her real hair... it could be a simulation or a mobile fiber wig of some kind.)

Oh sweet machine god, did I just postulate the existence of the cyber-weave?

I think can handle any of the above possibilities... as long as the men from Windermere don't start squealing with girlish glee and spraying theatrical glitter all over hell's half-acre the way Freyja was.

Thanks for pointing that out, saw something unfold out after the drones were released.

The reason i mentioned squares in the centre was the fact that the wings seem to be longer than the square, and hence maybe relied on another half to complete the square shape.

attachicon.gifdrones.jpg

Not sure how they fold back into a square but maybe future lineart will help shed light.

Actually, same scene as before... the wings rotate 180 degrees along the seam visible in the wing so that the wing edges touch. That's how they form the square.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Too late. Singing androids (the synth body type, not just the Sharon Apple holo-projected image type) are canon if Musicalture is canon. Robotech or not, here they come.

Too late. Singing androids (the synth body type, not just the Sharon Apple holo-projected image type) are canon if Musicalture is canon. Robotech or not, here they come.

No, anakin, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Actually, same scene as before... the wings rotate 180 degrees along the seam visible in the wing so that the wing edges touch. That's how they form the square.

Yep, and for further clarity, a little photoshop action; the folded position overlaid over the extended:

post-367-0-17458800-1452307178_thumb.jpg

It would be cool if they were the descendants of the original Anima-Spiritia soldiers from the PD War.... They naturally produce fold quartz type crystals that develop at the tips of certain hair strands. That would make for an interesting race!

Kawamori-san did mention a mash up of M+ and M7, so perhaps there may be a link there, although i would think he meant more towards the animosity and musicality portions of the referenced series. I thk in order to develop such lore/back-stories may make room for a different series altogether.

I'm almost positive the answer is "No" as they are setting up the story of Freyja challenging her own people. Mikumo glows purple through mechanical (non-natural) means. Freyja's heart-thingy in her hair is doing so by natural means. That's not to say Mikumo could be of alien-descent but that her abilities are created by technology like the rest of the Walkure girls.

If thats the case, Freyja certainly picked the group that would best represent what would be anti-natural ie technology based..

I wouldnt think so called 'naturals' such as winderemerians would be happy abt their gifts somehow being able to be replicated by technology.

In fact like, a manufactured vaccine (the soundwave performance) against a soundwave triggered var syndrom, pacifying the var virus somehow.

Which brings up a different question which may be answered in future episodes,

is there a 'vaccine' or,

is the 'glow' from mikumo piercing the regult's eye or,

was it the overall enjoyment of watching and touching the walkure that cured the zentradi.

I wonder if the glow is some sort of limited type of ECA built into the speculated suits. I've noticed since MF, all VF's had this outer glow and I've always attributed it to active ECA (Granted it was more likely a way, production wise, to ensure the planes were seen against a black background at all times).

Perhaps, but the ECA system boosts existing armor? Will it work on skin? :o

Considering that holographic costumes have already been the standard for at least eight years by this point, and that we've seen the technology is easily able to change the appearance of a person's hair as well, if Mikumo's hair isn't simply handwaved as artistic license then it's highly probable that it's a special effect that's being applied courtesy of the holographic costuming. (As a longshot, the ridiculously long hair may not even be her real hair... it could be a simulation or a mobile fiber wig of some kind.)

Oh sweet machine god, did I just postulate the existence of the cyber-weave?

I think can handle any of the above possibilities... as long as the men from Windermere don't start squealing with girlish glee and spraying theatrical glitter all over hell's half-acre the way Freyja was.

Maybe due to freyja's age the glitter sprinkle is more pronouced! ^_^ Or we havent seen more episodes yet with the drakens...

Yep, and for further clarity, a little photoshop action; the folded position overlaid over the extended:

attachicon.gifdelta_drone_folding_wings.jpg

Ah I see more clearly that they fold inwards now! Couldnt quite imagine it b4...nice design then!

This made me LOL hard on my lunch, now I have to try and explain this to my boss. :D

Act like nothing happened and play it cool. Whistle a blues solo if necessary. Print a 50-page document for no reason then make about 20 copies. Hiss if someone offers to do it for you. Open copies of the documents to different pages, highlighting random lines is recommended but optional. Arrange some in stacks, spread the others around your desk and on nearby surfaces, e.g., file cabinet/jumpseat combo, side table, wall-mounted organizers, planter boxes, etc. belt out a whole-hearted evil maniacal laugh, a full-on MUWAHAHAHA! Casually glance at your boss and say, "everything is proceeding as planned, my master!".

Oooo, 2067 Octos would be an interesting design... B))

Ooohh, I hope this happens!

April seems so far away...