Yamato 1/200 Scale Macross Collection Figures

Graham

I saw these at AX over the weekend and they don't look as bad as I would have thoght but I'm trying to avoid buying too many gashapon figs. The VA-3 does look awkward but it's still unique and interesting to me. The set I saw included the chase but I don't think the 19 was included.

I'm REALLY picky about what I buy. I am very happy with the set. The detail and markings are first class, especially for something this small. Perfect example is the YF-19's gun. They even put the cooling slots into it. The VA-3 does have odd colors on it, but then again, it is an odd design and part of the whole Macross 7 thing a lot of people don't get. - MT

The VA-3 isn't from M7. It's from one of the games. VF-X2 I believe.

I should be happy that there are so many cool macross toys coming out right now. But because my money is severely depleted it is just making me really antsy (gosh that is really a word?) or anxious (thats a word) or generally gives me the shpilkies (not a word).

The VA-3 isn't from M7. It's from one of the games. VF-X2 I believe.

Actually the VA-3 is from Macross Dynamite 7. The design was changed a bit for use in Macross VFX2, but it is originally from the Macross 7 OVA series.

That VF-9 looks good. I hate the VF-9 design, but it looks good in 3D I have to admit. :)

• 1 month later...
Actually the VA-3 is from Macross Dynamite 7. The design was changed a bit for use in Macross VFX2, but it is originally from the Macross 7 OVA series.

That VF-9 looks good. I hate the VF-9 design, but it looks good in 3D I have to admit. :)

Well, if we're gonna talk about its actual origins, we have to go all the way back to the designs for Kawamori's "Knights of the Sky", the project which eventually became Escaflowne. Basically WW2 with transforming fighters. Many designs were re-incorporated into Macross later, the VA-3 was one, and the Elgerzorene was another. I'm sure there were a few more.

The same goes for the VF-9, originally it was designed for the "Advanced Valkyrie" project, with the VF-3000, but it was later used in Macross M3.

I had forgotten about the VA-3 and Elgerzorene originally being designs for Knight of the Sky. I'm glad that Escadlowne's mecha were more robot-ish as opposed to variable fighters (Escaflowne and Alsedes were different enough not to count).

I was surprised to see a box of series 1 of these at the mall at a little anime-goods booth for around $7. They also had the GN-U Macross Plus figures for something like $35.

• 4 months later...
I'm REALLY picky about what I buy. I am very happy with the set. The detail and markings are first class, especially for something this small. Perfect example is the YF-19's gun. They even put the cooling slots into it. The VA-3 does have odd colors on it, but then again, it is an odd design and part of the whole Macross 7 thing a lot of people don't get. - MT

The VA-3 in set 1 is actually the VA-3M from the VF-X2 game.

Graham

Full set photo:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/type97/20090117

The secret unit is:

a blue VF-1A, but not Max custom.

I was very disappointed with the secret unit. I mean, if they were going to give us a blue trim VF-1A, why didn't they simply give us Max's ship? Whomever at Yamato was in charge of this decision should get a dope slap. Not to mention, it's a scheme I haven't seen anywhere. I don't recall it being in the TV show. Anyone know for sure?

The LowVis in set 1 was unique also. I'm guessing that's Yamato's point. The chase planes will all be unique. I don't know why they'd do that, it's not like they could make enough of these sets having only one VF-1 per set that's canon to get all the canon schemes out.

Edited by jenius

Well, I thought I was just going to get a black VF-1S so for me it's a nice surprise :lol: Now the box just has to arrive.

Nice pic of the 21 towering over the smaller valks.

The VF-9 looks a bit gummy though. Hope it's just the flash.

The LowVis in set 1 was unique also. I'm guessing that's Yamato's point. The chase planes will all be unique. I don't know why they'd do that, it's not like they could make enough of these sets having only one VF-1 per set that's canon to get all the canon schemes out.

I liked the alternate Low Viz in set 1, it had a nice F-14 feel.

Vostok 7

Guess they wanna save their canon schemes for another pack XD

But I guess this also answers our question about whether or not Yamato is allowed to release VFs in non-canon schemes.

Looks like the worries about Yamato running out of 1/60 VF-1s to release are misguided then. Actually it seems like Yamato has tonnes of VFs to release, afterall, they haven't fully utilised their Mac0 and VFX2 licenses as well.

Hopefully their VFC will hint as to their 1/60 releases-- VA-3 Invader and VF-9 Cutlass here we come!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good thing I happened by! Thanks EXO. I've been happy with the quality of the first set (except for that reversed UN SPacy thing). The dimensions are good and these look great too. It will be nice to get the fan liner since my daughter squashed the one I scratchbuilt! Less work for me now ^_^ ! -MT