The Best Macross Game?

Desram

Hey all. I was just curious what most people think the best macross game is (pc or ps2). I'm also kind of curious of how good vf-x2 really is. Is it worth modding your ps2 over? The only macrossesque game I've ever played was robotech battlecry - which I thought was a little to simple and restrictive... and not macross. Comments? :)

That's a good question... Macross for PS2 was a very good game, but like Battlecry, had limits as well. Macross M3 for Dreamcast was really bad, but had somewhat of an interesting story. And flying all the M7 fighters, and others was interesting. Macross Digital Missions was a horrible playing game, but had a nice little story. Macross VFX-2 was actually a pretty cool game. I just bought an old PSone, and modded that for the older games. But if you wanna know my opinion on one of the best games, Macross DYRL for Sega Saturn or PSone is one of my favorites. Just a fun side scrolling game that captures the movie quite well. :D

FAMICOM!

Honestly, while I DO like the Famicom game, I have to second the vote for console DYRL.

Also worth mentioning are Scrambled Valkyrie on the Super FamiCom, the DYRL arcade game, and the PCEngine's Macross 2036 . Not that they're winning any points for anime faithfulness, but they're dang fun games.

Though of the 3, only Scrambled Valkyrie gives you free-form transformation.

Toss up between SDF Macross for the PS2 and the Macross II shooter. The latter is more fun, but the former is probably what more people are looking for.

I thought the Mac2 game was kinda weak.

The timer was an un-needed feature and detracts heavily from the game.

The Macross II shooter is definitely one of the better arcade games despite being quite difficult even on easy level.

The PS1 VF-X Digital Missions was worthless though it did have one feature all others didn't, cockpits for all the Valks!

VF-X2 is fun but could have been better, like a radar display, better control for battroid and gerwalk modes.

The PS2 Macross is currently the best one out there.

Toss up between SDF Macross for the PS2 and the Macross II shooter. The latter is more fun, but the former is probably what more people are looking for.

It was a pain in the ass, but it made sure you couldn't progress in the game by simply throwing in credits. Actually enforced that the player had soem sort of skill.

Still though, hard as hell. But fun.

It was a pain in the ass, but it made sure you couldn't progress in the game by simply throwing in credits. Actually enforced that the player had soem sort of skill.

Still though, hard as hell. But fun.

And it beats continue points... I see what you're getting at.

I tried to buy victory in Darius the other day.

The continue feature cuts out on the last level.

And RayForce/Crisis give you a bad ending if you continue. Dunno about Storm.

Taito hates me.

What about the Macross plus game on psx ?

Not has vf-x's story, not really has missions, but nice to play after watching the oav :lol: . Good control, that's the main thing.

I heard about a M+ shooter in arcade, does anybody know it ?

here's my list

Best Macross Games

#1 - Macross DYRL Arcade Game (Arcade)

#2 - Macross DYRL (Saturn)

#3 - Macross (PS2)

Honorable Mentions

Macross 2036 (PCE)

Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (SFAM)

Worst Macross Games

#1 Macross Digital Mission VFX (PSX)

#2 Macross Plus Game Edition (PSX)

#3 Macross VFX2 (PSX)

I heard about a M+ shooter in arcade, does anybody know it ?

It's in MAME.

Vertically scrolling. Like DYRL arcade, only harder and prettier.

And it has the missile strike, which DYRL lacks.

And you get to choose one of 3 pilots/planes. Aside from the obvious Isamu/YF-19 and Guld/YF-21 we have a female in a VF-11.

Desram Posted on Mar 9 2005, 08:38 PM

What's involved in getting a machine set up to play the ps2 macross? I haven't been interested in this for like 3 years. Last I heard, modding a ps2 was risky.

I modded my PS2 by buying the fliptop system. I didn't want to do the chip swap cause that's the risky way. The flip top will allow you to easily put your PS2 back to stock if you need it repaired. It uses boot disk, so that is a hassle, but so minor, it's not a problem. I have problems though, playing my PSone imports on it, but in that case, I have an original PSone with the serial port in the back that has a game genie box plugged for the copies and imports. You may be able to find one of those for about $50 on ebay. But for the PS2 imports and such, I'd suggest the fliptop for modding. It's good too, if you play online with the ps2 and the game uses the DNAS scan data on your box. People with chip swaps can't play many online PS2 games because it detects the modded chip.

WHEW!!! Hope that helps. :D

That sounds like it'd work as well, but if the PS2 goes down, your warranty is void, isn't it? That chip looks great, but the flip top is what I got. No problems there either. Just matters on your preference. Thanks MilSpec for the link. I have a friend that was looking into mods for his PS2. I'll give him that option as well as the fliptop.

:D

What about V0?? I'm more interested in the more simulation-level games.

Unfortunately, VO really kinda sucks. I'm also a much bigger fan of simulation style games than arcade shooters like VF-X, but there's just no good Macross simulation game or even a mod for another flight sim game (I hear there's several in the works, but it's been years and I've seen nothing come of them).

In my opinion, VO pretty much humps the monkey's ass. It has a story about as exciting as watching grass grow (without the benefit of time-elapse photography), control is difficult to master, and it's glitchy has total hell. Let's add boring music to that and you have a game that is better suited to ritual suicide. (again, just my opinion)

#1, DYRL (PS/Saturn)

#2, VF-X2 (PS)

#3, SDF Macross (PS2)

Honorable Mentions:

#1, Macross 2036 (Super CD, available through emulation): good soundtrack, and colorful graphics. Komilia is HOT!

#2, Macross: "Skull Leader"/"Love Stories" (PC98, available through emulation), I lump them together because LS is really more like an add-on (some extra missions, including a Miss Macross contest!) loads of fun if you can figure it out.

#3, Macross (Famicom, available through emulation or cheap mass-game home console knockoffs). I'm sorry... for good clean fun (in the old rack-up-the-points style) it doesn't get much better (or simpler) than this.

In my opinion, VO pretty much humps the monkey's ass. It has a story about as exciting as watching grass grow (without the benefit of time-elapse photography), control is difficult to master, and it's glitchy has total hell. Let's add boring music to that and you have a game that is better suited to ritual suicide. (again, just my opinion)

#1, DYRL (PS/Saturn)

#2, VF-X2 (PS)

#3, SDF Macross (PS2)

Honorable Mentions:

#1, Macross 2036 (Super CD, available through emulation): good soundtrack, and colorful graphics. Komilia is HOT!

#2, Macross: "Skull Leader"/"Love Stories" (PC98, available through emulation), I lump them together because LS is really more like an add-on (some extra missions, including a Miss Macross contest!) loads of fun if you can figure it out.

#3, Macross (Famicom, available through emulation or cheap mass-game home console knockoffs). I'm sorry... for good clean fun (in the old rack-up-the-points style) it doesn't get much better (or simpler) than this.

Should I point out that DYRL and VFX2 are also "available through emulation"?

That sounds like it'd work as well, but if the PS2 goes down, your warranty is void, isn't it? That chip looks great, but the flip top is what I got. No problems there either. Just matters on your preference. Thanks MilSpec for the link. I have a friend that was looking into mods for his PS2. I'll give him that option as well as the fliptop.

:D

Easiest way is just to buy a Japanese PS2, but certainly not as cheap.

I have a big gold PS2 that rarely gets played, except for the rare times I feel like getting my Yoshinoya on.

What's a good emulator for that? I haven't used emulators since nesticle became popular :)

*cries*

Best for...

Famicom/NES: NEStopia or VirtuaNES.

Super FamiCom/SNES: ZSNES or SNES9x.

PlayStation: ePSXe is the best of a universally bad lot. PS emulation sucks.

Saturn: Cassini is the best of an even worse lot. On the upside, no freaking plugin system.

PCEngine/TG-16 and expansions: Magic Engine, though it's shareware. Hu-Go is pretty good too.

Arcade: MAME is really the only option available, sadly.

Dunno about GameBoy Color or PC98.

PC98 emulation is a major pain in the ass, although I seem to recall one of the iMacross servers having the emulator and the three rom packs for the Macross games available for download. At one point a year or two ago I managed to get one of the games to work on my ex-GF's computer, but haven't touched it since then.

PC98 emulation is a major pain in the ass, although I seem to recall one of the iMacross servers having the emulator and the three rom packs for the Macross games available for download. At one point a year or two ago I managed to get one of the games to work on my ex-GF's computer, but haven't touched it since then.

Figured as much.

Computer emulation gets messy fast.

I actually think that VF-X2 is better than the Macross game for PS2. The PS2 game (although tweaks are definately still necessary for any future Macross games from Sega AM2) had a pretty good engine that allowed for pretty good control in all three modes, but half the levels could be played buy accellerating far ahead, switching modes and turning around, then shooting missiles until you pass all the enemies again. Also, while I like the VF-1, I don't want to see Macross games fall into the same hole as Gundam games. It seems like 95% of the Gundam games out there are set during the One Year War (until recently, as most of the newer games are SEED). I don't want to endlessly replay Space War One. What's more, new paints and moving from A to J to S isn't variety... I don't want the VF-1 to be the only choice. Not to mention that the PS2 game was short.

VF-X2 had an awkward engine for the flight stages that took some getting used to, but at least it had a good number of VF's, mission variety, and an original story worthy of being an OVA, and it was longer with two branching paths.

I wouldn't mind if Sega AM2 makes another Macross game with the engine they used for the current Macross game, if they can make a few fixes. But I practically insist they set it around 2050 and stuff as many playable VFs as possible. Maybe use all the VFs from VF-X, VF-X2, and M3 (minus the ridiculous Variable Glaug), and then get Kawamori to fill in a few more gaps (like the VF-16 for the VF-11MAXL). Then, include the two SW-XA series, the SV-51, and the VF-0 as unlockable bonuses.