.....and then when Giant Aliens turn up and kick the asses of all the Superbugs and Eurofighters etc they can turn into robots and kick ass :)

Hell just merge that idea with the ID4 2 script and you could bag em both.

Top Gun/ID4/Starship Troopers I'd watch that. You can call it STID4TGII.

Its such a shame that more of them have not been stripped and sent to museums.

I saw a documentary a few years back about the bone yard very interesting, also they showed how they get rid of the planes when not needed, very sad watching those old once loved icons being sawed and crunched up for scrap.

My brother used to work for the defence industry they use some of the old RAF and RNavy kit for target practice for new weapons tests. He blew up several stripped out Helicopters and a couple of F4's.

In some way I kinda think it would be better to go out like that than be crunched up in a scrap yard. Kinda live by the sword die by the sword.

Its such a shame that more of them have not been stripped and sent to museums.

I saw a documentary a few years back about the bone yard very interesting, also they showed how they get rid of the planes when not needed, very sad watching those old once loved icons being sawed and crunched up for scrap.

My brother used to work for the defence industry they use some of the old RAF and RNavy kit for target practice for new weapons tests. He blew up several stripped out Helicopters and a couple of F4's.

In some way I kinda think it would be better to go out like that than be crunched up in a scrap yard. Kinda live by the sword die by the sword.

I bought a book that is a history of the base and group that mothballs the planes. Pretty amazing seeing the pictures of all the old WW2 birds laying around by the hundreds waiting for the scrapper. Now they are amongst the rarest and most cherished planes around. P-38s, P-51s, etc.

Some of them do find new life in other roles (C-130s sent to Alaska or A-26s refitted and sent to Vietnam to fly along the Ho Chi Minh Trail) or fly again with a new country (Block 10 F-16s)

BTW, you don't just "scrap" F-117's. This is about 4th-hand from a pilot:

Every bit of RAM is stripped off. The plane is then "traditionally" scrapped. Then they dig a big pit and dump the scrappings in. Then they douse it in gasoline and burn it. Then they fill the pit in, and put up a tombstone. There is a "graveyard" of F-117's.

BTW, you don't just "scrap" F-117's. This is about 4th-hand from a pilot:

Every bit of RAM is stripped off. The plane is then "traditionally" scrapped. Then they dig a big pit and dump the scrappings in. Then they douse it in gasoline and burn it. Then they fill the pit in, and put up a tombstone. There is a "graveyard" of F-117's.

That is just the stupidest poo ever.

As for the F-14s, when I was at AMARG in February there were only a few F-14s left. Unless they've squirreled a few away from the main bus route, most of them in those pictures are toast.

That is just the stupidest poo ever.

As for the F-14s, when I was at AMARG in February there were only a few F-14s left. Unless they've squirreled a few away from the main bus route, most of them in those pictures are toast.

If by "toast" you mean already retrofitted and standing by at top secret space base locations, then yes, their work should be nearly complete.

Similar article to what azrael posted, so far this new project sounds like a pass still. Maybe that opinion will change down the road but a movie about computer geeks flying or should I say operating drones equals no Need for Speed for me!

My link

That link isn't working.

From the first article, it sounds like it could also be about the conflict between virtual pilots and the real pilots. There may still be a chance to fulfill our need for speed. B))

Also, it looks like Mav will still play a large role in TP2: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/top_gun_2_update_tom_cruise_wo.html

That link isn't working.

From the first article, it sounds like it could also be about the conflict between virtual pilots and the real pilots. There may still be a chance to fulfill our need for speed. B))

Also, it looks like Mav will still play a large role in TP2: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/top_gun_2_update_tom_cruise_wo.html

Lemme guess, Maverick is away from flying for a longtime, and is brought back in to take on rogue UAV's which have been hacked into. Remember the line from Goose? "I dunno Mav, it's like everytime we fly it's like you're flying against a ghost". Or something like that.

Scott did say it would be a movie about the "last fighter pilots". It would make sense if it's Maverick VS drones...LOL pulling off that sudden pull-up manuever he did in the 1st film. I think the Super Bug would look beast doing that.

Lemme guess, Maverick is away from flying for a longtime, and is brought back in to take on rogue UAV's which have been hacked into. Remember the line from Goose? "I dunno Mav, it's like everytime we fly it's like you're flying against a ghost". Or something like that.

Scott did say it would be a movie about the "last fighter pilots". It would make sense if it's Maverick VS drones...LOL pulling off that sudden pull-up manuever he did in the 1st film. I think the Super Bug would look beast doing that.

And then at the end Maverick has to team up with the rogue UCAV in order to infiltrate North Korean airspace to save his sexy wingmanwoman, right? :p

Edited by anime52k8

• 1 year later...

No Tomcat=not a good movie.

Damn Straight... TOP GUN was an Eighties experience, through and through.

it was a product of it's time, and that's what what makes it so damned awesome.

awesome period soundtrack+awesome period fighter jets+awesome period actors=awesome period movie.

there simply is NO ROOM for a remake or sequel, IMHO.

i just don't see how this sort of lightning could possibly ever strike twice, especially today...

It would not be F-22's as those are for the Air Force only. Most likely F-18's with a small chance for F-35 JSF, since all action will probably be cgi...

more like DEFINITELY be CGI. EVERYTHING's CGI rendered these days, and we're all the poorer for it...

What would be the point in even having an F-22 or F-18? We don't have cool fighters anymore, the airforce sucks, no cool planes = suck movie.

GOD, EXACTLY how I myself feel. AMEN, Bro...

Edited by Shaorin