All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Alright, so I've been confused and I hope you guys can help me. I've been seeing pictures of people playing PS3 games such as MW3, Killzone 3, Naruto Ultimate Ninja, etc. on their Vitas, with some claiming that their Vita is not hacked in any way. And from what I can tell, it works quite well too!

I got all excited and set up remote play for my vita, only to have the vita reject the command to play PS3 games (I tried many) as it is "unsupported". Do any of you guys know how those other people are getting their vitas to play PS3 games, or if you have experience with this yourself?

Thanks in advance, and this is one of the biggest reasons why I bought a Vita, so I hope it works!

They're exploiting some old PSP homebrew cheat to run a suedo CFW that let's them do it. The un-official reason/speculation as to why you can't just remote play any PS3 game is because of hardware/game licensing issues. Same thing is speculated to be the reason we don't have PS1 support yet. You would have thought Sony would have tried to iron out any licensing issues while the system was still in developement to get things ready before release, but oh well.

Okay, I found my new crack.

The Record of Agarest War series. I have both the first game (DVD) and Zero (digital downloaded to my hard drive), both games are for the 360.

I swear, the damned thing if Final Fantasy Tactics on steriods. The skill system is top notch. I love the way you can combo your foes into fine pate. The item creation and enhancement system is second to none. Inventory system isn't too cumbersome. The stroy is actually pretty good. The series definately blows the Disgaea series out of the water. The voice work, though in Japanese, is well done; thank goodness the text boxes were done in English.

I just have one complaint about the series...

The Record of Agarest War 2 is a f*cking PS3 EXCLUSIVE!!! _-|-- Compile Heart and Red!!!

I hope that some company similar to Working Designs has the balls to pay the licensing fee to make an XBox 360 build of the thing.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I don't know about all these JRPG/Tactics games with generic-looking fantasy anime characters and weird names, but I finally got around to playing Persona 3. I'd tried it briefly on the PS2, and while it seemed kind of interesting then I'm totally hooked on the PSP version. I don't know if it's tweaks to the battle system or just that "high school student by day, explore a creepy tower at night" thing just works better with the off-and-on play style of the PSP, but I'm playing it during all the little moments of time I get during the day.

Speaking of Persona, I'm going through a third replay of Persona 4. Game play's not as addictive as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne's pokemon-style demon collection, but the characterization is deep, and you just can't help but give a damn about what happens to them.

I saw this today and the TypeMoonFag in me just couldn't resist. The hard copy of the art book is quite nice. In all probability the game sucks.

photo1.jpg

It does indeed suck.

And I got it before the limited edition shipped, so no artbook for me. :(

Speaking of Persona, I'm going through a third replay of Persona 4. Game play's not as addictive as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne's pokemon-style demon collection, but the characterization is deep, and you just can't help but give a damn about what happens to them.

I never bothered with Persona 4, because I had such a hard time getting into Persona 3. But now that I'm in love with Persona 3 on the PSP, I'm really excited to hear that Atlus is going to re-release Persona 4 on the Vita.

Nocturne was probably my favorite RPG of the PS2 era. My sole complaint about it was that the difficulty was kind of broken. The final boss fight was over two hours for me, and I wasn't sure I could actually win... with freaking Code Breaker cheats.

I never bothered with Persona 4, because I had such a hard time getting into Persona 3. But now that I'm in love with Persona 3 on the PSP, I'm really excited to hear that Atlus is going to re-release Persona 4 on the Vita.

Nocturne was probably my favorite RPG of the PS2 era. My sole complaint about it was that the difficulty was kind of broken. The final boss fight was over two hours for me, and I wasn't sure I could actually win... with freaking Code Breaker cheats.

I hate to admit it, but I never finished Nocturne. The boss battles were a harrowing experience, and I barely got through using walkthroughs. I managed to complete over two thirds of the game mostly because of the demon collection system was really fun, but then forgot about it after getting a new game.

As for Persona 4, it's rather "light" compared to the others. There's still a lot of dark elements, but the mood is brightened up a lot due to the cast of characters, quite a few of which are comic relief types. The difficulty is also less punishing than previous games, IMO.

I'm not big into gaming. I had a 360 solely for Halo 3 (and then Mass Effect :wub:) and that's about it. I have no interest in what the PS3 offers... but I'll be damned if DUST 514 doesn't look like it'll sway me into buying a PS3 just for that game.

I want me some EVE-love without... y'know... having to play EVE :unsure:

Anybody been picking up on rumors that the next gen consoles (mainly sony and microsoft) will be trying to make it so that a single copy of a game will only work with one system, effectively shutting down the pre-owned market and the habit of taking games over to a friends house?

http://www.ps4playstation4.com/PS4-is-Orbis

I doubt that such a concept could be true (the pre-owned market is fairly huge, and place such as Gamestop make a lot of money off of it, as well as eBay sellers, etc.). If it does turn out to be true though, regardless of my alliances (I'm a sony guy), I will be purchasing the next gen system that doesn't prevent such cross system game sharing...

Such a concept does exist, if you are using a computer. No trades on PC games from the likes of Gamestop, Play and Trade or from some other brick and mortar store, and some PC users are quite happy with purchase. As a PC gamer, I usually wait for demos and reviews, or even the big discounts that usually occur within Steam or Direct2drive (which seems to be owned by GameFly) <_< before buying, unless there is some sort of incentive to purchase at full price.

However, that doesn't mean it's tied to one PC. I do believe that the EULA (depending on distributor) does allow you to transfer your program from one PC, to another, a new PC or new PC build... as long as the program is uninstalled from the previous PC.

I do believe someone should be able to either correct me if I am wrong, or add to if I missed anything.

Back when there was an Electronics Boutique. We had the most customer friendly return, exchange and trade-in policy. I guess it's dependent on the store you visited and personnel working there, ours kicked ass. Ofcourse, this was prior to going corporate and being purchased from Gamestop.

We allowed the return, exchange and trades for console and PC games. We even had a nice warranty replacement policy for original PlayStations and Saturns back then... the sales spew I used to give: "drop it, shoot it, blow it up, bring in the pieces and you get a new one". Since the Navy RTC was nearby, I usually tell the graduates "drop it, shoot it, blow it up, or launch it from a cat, bring in the pieces and you get a new one".

Edited by Dangaioh

Anybody been picking up on rumors that the next gen consoles (mainly sony and microsoft) will be trying to make it so that a single copy of a game will only work with one system, effectively shutting down the pre-owned market and the habit of taking games over to a friends house?

http://www.ps4playst...om/PS4-is-Orbis

I've also heard those rumors about next-gen consoles only playing brand new games, thereby quashing used game sales. So far, they're only rumors. But personally, I do believe that this will happen. And I think that Microsoft will be the first company to do so.

Publishers have always viewed used game sales as eating into their bottom lines, but with development costs now skyrocketing, they've got good reason to be concerned. Development costs for this current generation of consoles are also very high, but publishers were able to offset some of those increased costs with an increased MSRP and a greater push on DLC content. When the next generation of consoles rolls around, I think publishers are at a loss for how they'll deal with an ever greater increased cost. Which is why I think they'll go ahead and lock out used games from their systems. The only question is whether companies will have the technological ability to do so. Coding an unique serial number or code onto each disc will be very expensive. And packing a written serial number with each game would have to contend with pirate key generators.

The reason I think Microsoft will be the first company to do so is that they have a history of making controversial moves, and usually prevailing. When the original Xbox came out, MS completely eschewed dial-up networking and forced players to use broadband to play online. Critics assailed MS for limiting their players' options. At that time, every other console gave players the option to choose between dial-up and broadband. As it would turn out, players embraced broadband-only gaming because it wasn't knee-capped by dial-up restrictions. Score one for MS. When the 360 came out, its backwards compatibility for its Xbox1 titles was a complete joke because MS took a piss on nvidia and didn't want to spend too much money on software emulation. Meanwhile, the Wii and PS3 (at that time) retained full backwards compatibility. Despite what critics said, it turned out most gamers didn't care about backwards compatibility. Score another one for MS. Now MS finds itself at a crossroads as to whether they should block out used games from their next system. I have a feeling that they'll make yet another gutsy decision.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt that we'll see a situation where games will be permanently locked to a single console. It's a completely moronic idea that will never work. Now, I can see them in the future requiring registration of games to a single Xbox live/PSN account which would necessitate logging in to access your game. In that case you can still use a game on any console, you simply need to log in first (which you should be doing anyways).

And as for selling used games, I see it going one of two ways. You'll either be able to de-authorize your games whenever you want to transfer them, or they'll implement a system similar to what Kaos tried to do with Homefront's multiplayer and require the purchase of a new registration key when buying a used copy of the game.

http://en.wikipedia....and_online_pass

Edited by anime52k8

That would effectively require any console to be hooked up to the 'net 24/7. The US/world is not THAT broad-band saturated yet. Unless every console comes with a free wireless router, it's impractical right now. I see Wii's *everywhere*--and a lot of them are not in homes with wireless, or even broadband. The same is true for the 360 and PS3 to a lesser degree, but it still exists----not everyone has their consoles online all the time, or even at all. Even if they could.

you don't have to be connected to the internet to access your account though. You'd need internet access when you first set up your account and when go to register your game, but beyond that I would think that offline play would work just fine.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt that we'll see a situation where games will be permanently locked to a single console. It's a completely moronic idea that will never work.

Never work? It's already happening, unfortunately. Whenever we buy a downloadable game off XBL, the game is locked to our console. I haven't seen anyone refuse to buy a downloadable game simply because they can't resell it, or that they can't buy it used; it's a situation that gamers have accepted. While downloadable games and physical games involve two different mediums, the concept is still the same.

While I personally hope that the industry doesn't try to quash the used-game market, it's a situation that I think is inevitable. If not in the next console generation, then in the one following that.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Never work? It's already happening, unfortunately. Whenever we buy a downloadable game off XBL, the game is locked to our console.

except DLC isn't locked to one concole, it's locked to an account. I can download DLC that I've bought to as many concoles as I want, as many times as I want, I just have to log in under my account in order to use it.

except DLC isn't locked to one concole, it's locked to an account. I can download DLC that I've bought to as many concoles as I want, as many times as I want, I just have to log in under my account in order to use it.

You obviously haven't had to go through the hassle of trying to recover your Singstar purchases on a new PS3 after your old one YLODed. DLC is sometimes tied to specific hardware.

Assuming the next gen of systems still use disc based media, I don't see how this would work in the doom & gloom way it's being advertised. We already have some games that require the purchase of an activation key to use online features if they're purchased used, but I haven't actually picked up one of those games. Do they come with a code you have to imput initially to play online? If so, I'd imaigne this would work like that.

I've heard Vita games block out trophies if you try to use them on another account/system, but I haven't tried that yet either, so not sure how that's going. Personally, I think it's too soon for a next gen of systems anyway, I know the 360 is 7, and the PS3 is 5 or 6, but aside from Microsoft needing to move onto a higher storage medium (read: blu-ray), I don't see much need for higher end hardware yet.

Assuming the next gen of systems still use disc based media, I don't see how this would work in the doom & gloom way it's being advertised. We already have some games that require the purchase of an activation key to use online features if they're purchased used, but I haven't actually picked up one of those games. Do they come with a code you have to imput initially to play online? If so, I'd imaigne this would work like that.

We also already have games that are lost FOREVER because the servers have been shut down and they either used always-online copy-protection or are online-only games.

The publishers do not have our best interests at heart. Once bound to internet-connectivity, a game has a finite, and possibly extremely short, lifespan.

I can still play Combat, Mine Storm, or Parsec TODAY.

One of these games was published by a company that simply no longer exists.

One was from a company that changed hands roughly umpteen-bajillion times, most notably once to an owner that killed all video-game-related projects.

One was from a company that simply hasn't been in the video game market as more than a parts supplier in almost thirty years.

On the other end of the spectrum, Tabula Rasa was only playable by ANYONE for a little over a year.

And this is ignoring that the game you love may not be the game you will own after the next patch rolls through.

This used to be optional(on the console side, it wasn't even an OPTION), but if the game MUST be connected to a central server, it becomes mandatory. And at the same time, patches have become more and more likely to actually change your gameplay experience.

If you're new to the game, you literally CAN'T see what the game was like before you started it.

If you aren't new, well... I hope your memory is good, because we're counting on you to tell future generations what version 1.0 of World of Warcraft was like. Good or bad, it's become one of the most influential games of the last decade. Please don't let it become another Super Mario Brothers. We don't even know WHEN that came out, but it at least has the excuse of being released at a time when people were convinced video games were dead forever.

This is the future. As someone with a strong interest in the history of video games, It is not something I'm happy about.

A news story with a rumor doesn't confirm the lost ability to play used games.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gaming/codename-orbis-playstation-4-gets-a-working-title-and-other-rumours/story-e6frfrt9-1226314594410

If this is the way the industry is going, server based, heavy DLC, and no used games.... Looks like the old PS3(PS2) will be the last system I have.

Why 3D? o.O It's a stupid gimmick and everyone knows it! >:( I bet nearly a quarter or more of gamers, like myself, have built up eye problems (astigmatism) just from playing normal games for many many years and NOW the companies want to screw with us by putting in 3D. I know it's an option, but damn, I bet you can cut a chunk of cost there by removing that crap.

Yeah, I wish they would just kill 3d until it becomes usable in places that might make sense.. like full motion tracking head-mounted displays (I want my .hack glasses for flight simming dangit :p)

I really miss the age when you could buy a game, and it was good, and you could rely on that. None of this, "Oh, it was okay when it came out, then the version 2 patch almost killed it entirely.. Fortunately the devs figured out what was so bad, and it's almost back to where it was again, but who knows what's next?"

Very little pisses me off more than people changing things arbitrarily to something else just because they felt change was needed, no matter what it was. MS Office 2007 of all things is the clearest example to me personally, because the way they completely randomly decided, "Ok, we're just going to rename and relocate EVERYTHING" completely screwed productivity at my job for months. It was similar to the effect you'd get if Webster decided they were going to randomly reassign every word in the dictionary to another definition, without telling anyone.

In the games arena, I just get continually disappointed by developers not willing to leave well enough alone (movies too.. *slaps a George Lucas effigy*). Various games I've enjoyed get a new patch, and it sometimes just destroys what I used to enjoy, because they change so much. Final Fantasy XIV in particular is going through this a lot, due to the way it was released in pretty much alpha stage, and keeps developing towards something resembling a complete game. I really enjoyed v1.19 as a magic character, but come v1.2, they revamped the entire magic skill tree... and I lost nearly all interest in that job class, because the skills don't make any freaking sense anymore.

The sad/weird part of all this is.. if you wait long enough for the games to actually die out, and the companies to stop caring about piracy, the games sometimes reappear under the management of someone willing to run customized versions using specific patches and content to cater to what the fans enjoyed. It just takes forever sometimes...well, at least if you don't want to be setting yourself up for massive legal snarls, and possible criminal charges.

I've heard Vita games block out trophies if you try to use them on another account/system, but I haven't tried that yet either, so not sure how that's going. Personally, I think it's too soon for a next gen of systems anyway, I know the 360 is 7, and the PS3 is 5 or 6, but aside from Microsoft needing to move onto a higher storage medium (read: blu-ray), I don't see much need for higher end hardware yet.

I recently purchased both AC: Revelations and Uncharted 3 for PS3 used, and the gamestop reciept had the code needed to access online features printed on it, as well as taped inside the box.

Edited by Archer

Okay, this is starting to scare me a little. First it's DLC, and now no used games.

I recently purchased...AC: Revelations....

How's the game play? I've built a couple of AC figs in the past, and the cool designs made me want to try one of the AC games. Thing is, I read the review at IGN, and it says the game's got a hell of a learning curve that might put off new players. I don't want to be stuck with a game I can't complete because it's too hard.

Also, I've obviously never played the previous games, and am not sure if I can follow the story.

The IGN review also states that the game's "rather dry if you don't play online," whatever that means. I'm pretty much an offline kind of player, so would that mean the game's a waste of money for me?

Speaking of dying games. Metal Gear Online goes down on June 12th. I love MGS4, but I really love MGO, the online online shooter to date that speaks to my sensabilities. It will be sorely missed.

On that note---playing old games. If the new systems require online access etc, how long do you expect them to keep things running? If this requirement had happened long ago, do you think the Xenogears, Super Metroid, and Jet Set Radio Future servers would still be going, and could you still play an old, but much-loved game?

MS etc always argue "when Madden 2012 comes out, nobody wants to play Madden 2011".

True. But lots of games never get sequels, and aren't part of a mega-franchise like Call of Duty etc. And sometimes the new version sucks. ::cough, Ace Combat, cough:: A lot of people do want to keep playing the old games because they're still fun/the best version out there.