All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Horrible mech designs + game kickstarter = probable fail city

Yup. Plus, I can't hear the name without remembering that sh!tty Battletech cartoon.

This thread proves that every man is blind at least once in their lifetime.

The Shadowrun games are great. I've been watching this new Kickstarter from the sidelines and would love to see it get to stage three at the very least. I'm in.

Edited by technoblue

With the addition of the Xbox One to my lineup I realized all 8 of my HDMI inputs are being used. When the salesman kept trying to push a receiver with as many HDMI inputs as possible I told him he was nuts; guess I was wrong.

Anyone else playing Forza 6? I got the bundle with the blue console and the dorky start-up soundeffects...

With the addition of the Xbox One to my lineup I realized all 8 of my HDMI inputs are being used. When the salesman kept trying to push a receiver with as many HDMI inputs as possible I told him he was nuts; guess I was wrong.

Anyone else playing Forza 6? I got the bundle with the blue console and the dorky start-up soundeffects...

What are you using them all on? My receiver has 5 inputs that I've divvied up between a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and a Wii U/Mac mini (they're on a cheap switch). At least that's how it's supposed to be; since my daughter was born I can really only play videogames in the short window between the time my wife and daughter go to bed and I myself go to bed, so I moved the Xbox One into my bedroom. I suppose if got cable or something that'd be a 7th, but if I were that desperate I could either relegate something I don't really use often (like the Wii U or the Xbox 360) to one of the inputs directly on the TV.

And yeah, I picked up Forza 6, but I can't honestly say I've been playing it. I've done a few races, and I like what I've played, but it's hard to find gaming time with a baby! I especially found the rain to be quite impressive. It's the first racing game I've played where driving through a puddle actually felt like a puddle and not a patch of ice.

Did anyone else pick up Transformers: Devastation? I was a little worried about how good it'd be, since it was announced out of the blue just a few months before release. I was afraid that, at best, it wouldn't be as good as Fall of Cybertron and at worst it might be a cheap tie-in on par with most of the movie games.

I'm pleased to say that it's actually quite good. The gameplay is very reminiscent of another Platinum title, Bayonetta, and it works surprisingly well for Transformers. The story might not be as dark as the Cybertron games, the graphics not as shiny, and the gameplay not as deep, but that doesn't actually detract from the game. In fact, it's got the sort of plot that could have come from the G1 cartoon (in fact, I think they did something similar at least once or twice), with a cartoonish cel-shaded look and character models that are clearly G1 (the old cartoon, mind you, not even the newer IDW stuff). The only changes that have been made were Bumblebee and Megatron's alt modes. Bee is a generic hatchback that looks like the Classics toy, and Megatron is a tank, although their bot modes are still G1. Toss in the G1 voices (or sound-alikes) and it really feels like you're playing an episode of the G1 cartoon. It's seriously the game my 5-year-old self has been waiting 30 years for. If you're a Transformers fan, you really ought to give it a go.

Did anyone else pick up Transformers: Devastation? I was a little worried about how good it'd be, since it was announced out of the blue just a few months before release. I was afraid that, at best, it wouldn't be as good as Fall of Cybertron and at worst it might be a cheap tie-in on par with most of the movie games.

I'm pleased to say that it's actually quite good. The gameplay is very reminiscent of another Platinum title, Bayonetta, and it works surprisingly well for Transformers. The story might not be as dark as the Cybertron games, the graphics not as shiny, and the gameplay not as deep, but that doesn't actually detract from the game. In fact, it's got the sort of plot that could have come from the G1 cartoon (in fact, I think they did something similar at least once or twice), with a cartoonish cel-shaded look and character models that are clearly G1 (the old cartoon, mind you, not even the newer IDW stuff). The only changes that have been made were Bumblebee and Megatron's alt modes. Bee is a generic hatchback that looks like the Classics toy, and Megatron is a tank, although their bot modes are still G1. Toss in the G1 voices (or sound-alikes) and it really feels like you're playing an episode of the G1 cartoon. It's seriously the game my 5-year-old self has been waiting 30 years for. If you're a Transformers fan, you really ought to give it a go.

Thanks for the review, Mike! I'll transform and roll out this weekend! Watched a bit of the gameplay on ign, and got sold on nostalgia (pity about megs alt mode though)

What are you using them all on? My receiver has 5 inputs that I've divvied up between a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and a Wii U/Mac mini (they're on a cheap switch). At least that's how it's supposed to be; since my daughter was born I can really only play videogames in the short window between the time my wife and daughter go to bed and I myself go to bed, so I moved the Xbox One into my bedroom. I suppose if got cable or something that'd be a 7th, but if I were that desperate I could either relegate something I don't really use often (like the Wii U or the Xbox 360) to one of the inputs directly on the TV.

And yeah, I picked up Forza 6, but I can't honestly say I've been playing it. I've done a few races, and I like what I've played, but it's hard to find gaming time with a baby! I especially found the rain to be quite impressive. It's the first racing game I've played where driving through a puddle actually felt like a puddle and not a patch of ice.

Oops, I have 7, not 8 inputs. Let's see. Cable box, Wii-U, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, laptop; all of which I have no time to use because I work all the time, lol. Kudos to you for being a responsible dad, though. I know too many others who aren't nearly as considerate to their offspring...

Kudos to you for being a responsible dad, though. I know too many others who aren't nearly as considerate to their offspring...

I'm actually doing a stay-at-home-dad thing. I adore my daughter, so I don't mind. She's just at a stage where I can't do much except feed her, talk to her, and watch Netflix. She seems to like Futurama.

Thanks for the review, Mike! I'll transform and roll out this weekend! Watched a bit of the gameplay on ign, and got sold on nostalgia (pity about megs alt mode though)

No problem! Just be warned, it's kind of short. I finished the story mode in about 5 hours. Of course, there's a ton of challenge missions I can still do, and I used Optimus almost exclusively so I could probably replay the game as one of the other Autobots.

Just be warned, it's kind of short. I finished the story mode in about 5 hours. Of course, there's a ton of challenge missions I can still do, and I used Optimus almost exclusively so I could probably replay the game as one of the other Autobots.

These TF games just keep getting shorter. FOC was about 8-12 hours and I thought that was short. Sounds like the replay value in Devastation makes up for the short story mode, though. I may get the PS3 version, since the cel-shaded graphics aren't going to make much of a difference in quality on the PS4.

Anyone get to try the Battlefront demo yet? Talked to a few friends who watched the advance reviews, and they were extremely disappointed, to say the least, mostly because they seem to have ignored the entire structure of the original games, and simplified the concept to the level of a cheap console arcade-ish shooter.

I've read a few comments and reviews, and people seem to all agree that it's beautiful, and that the gameplay isn't terrible for what it is, but it sounds like it's truly nothing like the original game in any way. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

Playing with the PC-master race.

I'm getting the feeling this is a console port. Having the controller icon in the key mapping screen is not helping. Graphics are very good.

1st round I played, I died very quickly. It evened out on rounds 2 & 3.

Not sure about the controls. I'm not getting the whole Cards-thing. Do not spawn on your partner. That's an insta-kill waiting to happen. There are some engine issues which stem from the earlier versions of the Battlefield which I'm guessing were not implemented for this game. Bummer.

No flight stick support in the beta. If you want to fly, you are stuck with keyboard and mouse.

I need to play some more to unlock some more stuff and then I'll see what happens.

Was super excited for Star Wars. My initial impression is ho-hum. Spawn deaths are awful. It seems most of the time you spawn with someone to the side of you or behind you. Walker assault is interesting. Getting in turrets and at-At's is fun. Flying vehicles not so much.

Is FPS games better with a PC or PS4? I was never a fan of FPS games in PS4 since I'm more used in using a mouse. I'm looking forward to this game, any advice on how to control this? This is the first time I'm going to play it in console. Is there like an auto-aim feature or something? Thanks. :)

Anyone get to try the Battlefront demo yet? Talked to a few friends who watched the advance reviews, and they were extremely disappointed, to say the least, mostly because they seem to have ignored the entire structure of the original games, and simplified the concept to the level of a cheap console arcade-ish shooter.

I've read a few comments and reviews, and people seem to all agree that it's beautiful, and that the gameplay isn't terrible for what it is, but it sounds like it's truly nothing like the original game in any way. <_<

So it basically battlefield with a coat of star wars paint?

Is FPS games better with a PC or PS4? I was never a fan of FPS games in PS4 since I'm more used in using a mouse. I'm looking forward to this game, any advice on how to control this? This is the first time I'm going to play it in console. Is there like an auto-aim feature or something? Thanks. :)

I've been spoiled from using a PC for FPS games. When I play them on consoles, it feels clunky and weird. My advice is to just keep giving it a chance. You will eventually get used to the vastly different control scheme. There are so many console players who swear their gamepads are the superior input device.

I've been spoiled from using a PC for FPS games. When I play them on consoles, it feels clunky and weird. My advice is to just keep giving it a chance. You will eventually get used to the vastly different control scheme. There are so many console players who swear their gamepads are the superior input device.

Mouse and keyboard is vastly superior to a game pad. The issue between console and PC for FPS is where the community is. Outside of the PC-only FPS, the population numbers are much, much higher console-side than PC.

Is there like an auto-aim feature or something? Thanks. :)

Auto-aim on consoles. *snickers*

No. Not at all. It's really nothing like Battlefield.

Definitely not like Battlefield. Yes, it uses the same game engine as the Battlefield series (Frostbite 3), but the implementation is for Star Wars as opposed to modern world-FPS.

Thanks frothymug. I'm going to download this one tonight when I get home. It will be my first FPS on console. ;)

Auto-aim on consoles. *snickers*

Hahaha! Sorry about that. It's more like an aim assist than auto aim. :lol:

Now that I've played some Walker Assault...

-Spawn system is really screwed up. And I mean REALLY screwed up. Died 5 times in 3 minutes just to a guy who was spawn camping most of the round. Other deaths from running into gunfire because the rest of the team knows the spawn. That needs to be fixed by release. Hell, they should patch it in beta now. That was my worst round.

-Air superiority in Walker Assault will define the round so I would brush up on your flying skills.

-If you play a hero pickup, prepare to be a blaster magnet. Thankfully you can move fast. But prepare to be a gunfire magnet.

-On Hoth, open up with the sniper, then move in with your primary. The open terrain is a sniping paradise.

-Graphics glitches. That needs to be polished by release.

-AT-ST cross hairs does not line up with the camera view. I try to get some people off a hill and I shoot the face of the hill. Either put in a 1st-person view or fix the camera angle. Same with the missiles. Your missile will land somewhere in the cross hairs.

-I see the glitch from the Frostbite engine remains. I had a partner that was stuck in shallow rocks. Little pebbles seem to be obstacles and jumping over stepping stones seems like a chore. Thanks for that DICE.

More to come.

My laptop is too weak...

It is 5 years old but I don't go cheap. I went with the 2nd most advanced/expensive options with everything. My previous laptop was obsolete after 2 years. I wanted this one to be mediocre in 5 years. Now I find out it's obsolete instead of just being mediocre.

Playing more Walker Assault...

-Hoth map is pretty much a win for Imperials. Rebels can win but they have to dominate the skies. (Yes, the Rebels lost Hoth, but that battle also didn't have X-Wings, A-Wings, and TIE Fighters in the sky so they might as well balance it out). This map needs serious balancing.

-They might want to bump up the cool down for thermal detonators. It gets 'nade spammy on Drop Zone when the pod capturing comes.

-Vehicles and stationary weapons need a 1st-person view. Aiming the turret is a pain in 3rd-person. I already noted the AT-ST. I've heard the AT-AT is just as bad in judging where your shots will land.

The beta's been extended for another day so get the complaints in while you still can.

well, I gave battlefront a try; it was ok. The spawn system is complete garbage as mentioned previously. Heroes and vehicles control poorly, I didn't enjoy playing either. They feel decently balanced in the grand scheme of things though.

biggest complaint would be that things need to be more clearly indicated on your HUD and on the map. it's really hard to even find vehicles pickups, and being able to discern what your supposed to be shooting at when you get one can be difficult. it's also hard to tell if enemies have vehicles up, if you've got vehicles up, or if anyone is manning turrets. Turrets are the worst, you can't even tell that there maned until they kill you.