Not really... It's all kinda spread around. What are you looking for?

Nothing in particular really, just always found the "making of" a film or television series interesting. I can't find much info around online about what went on in the production of Macross.

I'm guessing you're quite knowledgeable on the stuff?

There is a really good podcast going over Macross production. I think it's the third one with Tom Bateman.

Cheers I'll check it out!

Edited by Blaze Battery

• 2 weeks later...

I know the Chief Engineer of the SDF-1 Macross is unnamed but is he credited as anything? Do we know who voiced him in the ADV dub and original Japanese audio?

Just checked the credits for episodes 5 and 6, and he's not listed in either... How badly do you need to know?

EDIT: Ah, found it in Perfect Memory: Minoru Inaba.

Edited by Gubaba

Just checked the credits for episodes 5 and 6, and he's not listed in either... How badly do you need to know?

EDIT: Ah, found it in Perfect Memory: Minoru Inaba.

So the same guy that voices Minmay's uncle? Ok.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked too, Minoru is not listed in the credits of episode 5 and 6. However, the (extra) credits on the ADV release (that plays after Runner) reveal the English voice actor of "Chief Engineer" to be Mike MacRae.

Edited by Primus1X

• 3 weeks later...

I'm cleaning up the only English Macross FB7 script that I could find. It was originally machine translated from a Spanish script.

Anyway, there was a line that I had a funny feeling about and tried to manually translate it from Japanese myself.

There is a scene where Ranka says to Sheryl:

"I'm sorry, but I was hoping you could explain what is meant with 'Listen to my Song.'" (@ 44:09)

The machine translated response that I didn't trust was: "As I thought." That translation just didn't feel right.

My translation skill level is pretty much listening and transcribing as romaji, and punching words into the imiwa? iPhone app. What I got was: "mo motte toriyo."

My best interpretation of that was "It's also a birdcall." Or maybe "It's a birdcall."

Anyway...am I close or waaaay off?

Edited by HannouHeiki

Short version: 'As I thought...' Is correct.

Ah....thanks Tochiro. When I typed "toriyo" into imawa? and got "birdcall," and then Bird-san flies by the window, I thought I was onto something.

I watched a little Gunbuster clip today and heard the commonly said "son'na tori." I feel like I should have been able to correlate that...

I was also able to pick out "mo motte" when Noriko says "Who could've imagined..." so thanks to you my perception is improving a little.

Since I was so off, hopefully you can help me double check one other, from around 1:21:29. Lines spoken by Ozma.

Machine translated from Spanish: I was right about Fire Bomber. No new songs.

My Phonetic transcription (probably very wrong): "Fire Bomber" koredake mirai tandokuna na. shin kyoku mashite.

My interpretation after punching into imawa?: I got to see a deep and exclusive look into Fire Bomber. Even without any new songs.

Ozma is freakin' hard to phonetically transcribe, and I don't have much confidence in what I came up with at all.

Edited by HannouHeiki

Not really a newbie but, I will be in Kansai/Osaka this coming week for 3 days. I also posted at the "Where to Buy" section.

I am looking for:

1) Macross Toys and Books.
2) Video Game Art Books and Game Guides.
3) Robot Toys in general.

I did a little research and I'd like to know if the following are still valid in the Osaka area:

1) Mandarake in Umeda and Namba
2) Softmap (what do they have here?)
3) Joshin Kid's Land
4) Hobby Lobby
5) Yellow Submarine
6) Kotobukiya
7) Capsule Mega Shop
8) Volks
9) K-Books
10) Yodobashi or BIC Cameras in Osaka?
11) How about Book Off branches in Oasaka?
12) Any other place suggestions?

If they are still valid, how do I get there? Are they all found in one place/area?

Thanks!

Edited by Bub

Okay, I've got a question about Macross 7...

What the HECK is up with Fleet of the Strongest Women?

Not in the "that's just insane" sense, which is answered easily enough simply by being Macross 7.

No, I'm wondering more about it being a home video exclusive that was given an actual episode number. Moreover, it was given an episode number that was taken by an actual broadcast episode. What happened there?

My best guess was they decided it was too silly(for Macross 7?) and that they shouldn't have that easy of a time with a fleet and it cheapens the threat the remaining zentradi pose(which is totally true), so the episode was pulled from the lineup and replaced with something less damaging.

But it's just a guess, and I've been wrong before.

Anyways, the whole thing bugs me,and I'm hoping someone has an actual answer.

Not in the "that's just insane" sense, which is answered easily enough simply by being Macross 7.

No, I'm wondering more about it being a home video exclusive that was given an actual episode number. Moreover, it was given an episode number that was taken by an actual broadcast episode. What happened there?

My best guess was they decided it was too silly(for Macross 7?) and that they shouldn't have that easy of a time with a fleet and it cheapens the threat the remaining zentradi pose(which is totally true), so the episode was pulled from the lineup and replaced with something less damaging.

AFAIK, it was originally an episode produced for broadcast that was dropped...

I don't think it has an episode number (at least, it doesn't in the Macross 7 Roman Album)... where did you find that?

And as far as I can tell, it's just an expanded version of those "Macross 7 PLUS" shorts that they put at the end of every tape or LD. The animation quality seems significantly higher for the battle scenes there than it is in the series proper, so I just it was just meant as a big bonus for fans.

AFAIK, it was originally an episode produced for broadcast that was dropped...

I think it was more an episode that was scripted (either in the same of a story idea or a fully written episode) that they decided not to do during the TV series run, and animate later, as Gubaba stated.

It was only given an 'episode number' years and years later, and even then, the episode 'number' is "Encore" or "Macross 7 Encore"...

I don't think it has an episode number (at least, it doesn't in the Macross 7 Roman Album)... where did you find that?

I thought the episode carried one on the title card. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Edit: And on double-checking, yes, I'm just crazy. Fleet just has a "real episode" feel that confused me greatly, I guess.

Edited by JB0

To settle an internet discussion: Did we ever see any other VF-1S in the original show except for Skull One? Someone thought he saw one for a brief second in one episode, but he did not know which one.

I thought it would be easier to ask the pros than to look through the whole series again. :p

As research for building my website, I tried tracking down all the blink-and-you-miss-them valkyries in the series. I don't recall ever seeing any variants of the VF-1S Valkyrie, at least not any VF-1's that could be identified as an "S" type. If there is one, please post about it here cause I'd like to know about it.

To settle an internet discussion: Did we ever see any other VF-1S in the original show except for Skull One? Someone thought he saw one for a brief second in one episode, but he did not know which one.

I thought it would be easier to ask the pros than to look through the whole series again. :p

Yeah, I honestly don't recall seeing any VF-1S's besides the Skull 001. Mostly -A's, a couple brownie -D's and -J's here and there... but none of the -S.

Don't forget the 1R!!!!

Actually, that's my best guess, he saw an animation error and thought it was a legit 1S. Maybe a gimpy 1D, I think there were a few of those in the wedding.

Yep, the 1R is evidence that there were no other VF-1S' in the background. If there were, the RT community would've seized on it, given the pilot a name and created a whole backstory on him, produced a comic book and maybe even a video game.

Yep, the 1R is evidence that there were no other VF-1S' in the background. If there were, the RT community would've seized on it, given the pilot a name and created a whole backstory on him, produced a comic book and maybe even a video game.

:lol: That's what happens when you purge all the staff in your organization who demonstrate any independent thought... "For the Greater Good"...

• 2 weeks later...

I recently re-watched the episode Pineapple Salad. I don't think I'm spoiling it for anybody here by discussing Roy's death. It just didn't make any sense to me. I don't believe that he wasn't aware that he was injured. He must have been in immense pain. Why didn't he go to the hospital? Was he just being a tough guy and ignoring it? Was he embarrassed by being shot down and trying to keep face? Why didn't the two men servicing his plane immediately check up on him as soon as they saw blood in the cockpit? Also when he was shot he was wearing his flight suit. When he died he was wearing his uniform. But when it showed his back it looked like the uniform was what he was wearing in battle since it had three holes where the blood was coming out from. Was he wearing his uniform underneath his flight suit? None of it makes any sense.

I think Roy was being macho, sort of. He knew he was dying, and decided to spend his final hours with the woman he loved.

It's too hard to believe that he would let himself die. There was too much at stake. He had a woman that he loved and loved him, he had his best friend, and he had his responsibilities as Skull Leader during the most important war in human history. Despite being a drunk and a womanizer Roy was very level headed and held safety as a number one priority. There is no way he would let hubris stand in the way of living the rest of his life. I just don't buy it.

It's too hard to believe that he would let himself die. There was too much at stake. He had a woman that he loved and loved him, he had his best friend, and he had his responsibilities as Skull Leader during the most important war in human history. Despite being a drunk and a womanizer Roy was very level headed and held safety as a number one priority. There is no way he would let hubris stand in the way of living the rest of his life. I just don't buy it.

There's always the other interpretation... that he knew his wounds were mortal and beyond medical help, and decided to spend his final hours with the love of his life in the privacy of his home.